How do you like to terrorize your players, Veeky Forums?

How do you like to terrorize your players, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

scp-wiki.net/scp-860
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

scp-wiki.net/scp-860

Give them this magic skeleton key that opens ANY locked door, when a player uses it take them to another room 1 on 1, describe the fucking terrifying experience of being sucked into a shadowfell-like world, alone, with weird noises, they eventually find the exit and get out, but are freaked the fuck out. Now... they have this item, they won't want to use it ever again until it's their absolute last resort. Every time they use it again, make it even creepier until their character just have to make willpower/wisdom saves (whatever system you're using) or their character starts becoming insane

While they're all talking amongst themselves, trying to solve [x] situation, I just quietly and slowly place a nightwalker mini on the map and roll its initiative.

I bring various weaponry and dangerous chemical agents to the table and torture players with them randomly.

Helps to keep them chained up to the table. Really adds to the suspense. Offing one occasionally is another good trick. The best is finding a new player to sit in with the old ones after you've told them that if anyone talks the new guy gets brained.

I always brain the new guy anyway but that little spark of hope is so important to a good, desperate scare.

Unintentionally and by paralyzing them with indecision, apparently.
>give the party a shard of magic crystal
>have them use the shard to power up an ancient clockwork automaton
>later, give them a formula that allows them to use a shard to permanently enchant a weapon or suit of armour
>even later, show them that shards can be used to open sealed doors in ancient ruins
>now they're sitting on six or seven of these shards, unused, saving them "just in case" and nobody wants to use them to enhance their gear

Pardoning the weird orange glow, looks like my backyard at night. Ya gotta be pussy to be afraid of that.

just roll dice, behind the DM screen

It's simple. I give them a 2 or 3 way choice. And they normally start arguing amongst themselves while I smirk.

There's the Moral Choice variant
>Save the town from bandits
>Run away
>Help the bandits and get a cut of the loot

The Fast & Difficult vs Slow but Easy
>Go around the mountain and take a week
>Or cut through the valley where Wyverns have been spotted
>Can be made more interesting if they have a time sensitive objective.

The Specific Player Hook
>The druid hears about a large group of poachers hunting animals and wants to stop it
>Rest of the party doesn't really give a fuck
>Druid: "Let me explain..."

I don't. My players are my friends.

Level drain enemies.

Allow them to make stupid decisions that have consequences.

Throw something at the party that they are not well equipped to defeat. Half of the party has no magical damage or silvered weapons? Werewolves! Party composed of glass cannons who hide behind a tank? Enemies jump down from trees and surround each individual party member, with a surprise round!

>having a character's sister being stabbed and left to be slowly picked apart by crows tied to a post
>the BBEG raping a character's wife while he was restained by two of the BBEG's thugs and forced to watch
>BBEG executing children who witnessed a crime
>BBEG gassing a village with nerve gas which included descriptions of people twitching and bleeding from the eyes and shit
>one character being psionically tortured for hours until he broke completely
>hot iron to the testicles to torture info out of a character about their home
>they lost the battle and were captured the BBEG ripped one of the female character's eyes out with a crowbar
>one character was cut multiple times on his body with a knife and forced to clean the latrines so he'd get blood poisoning
>eventually they broke out after 2 more of us died and killed the master by stabbing him in the throat with a fork about 30 times because that was the only weapon they had
>BBEG used a truck full of trapped children to bait out the PCs to try to help them, before gunning them all down
>sewed bombs inside of corpses before leaving a village they raided, so that when they tried to bury their families they would go off

I did all kinds of edgy shit in that campaign, it got pretty fucked up. 2 players quit and one of them sent me a long rant in gmail about how I was fucked in the head because I made his girlfriend cry after having her character fall on iron rebar fortifications and be left there by the guards who watched her slowly die and also be pecked apart by crows and since she was basically stapled to the concrete she couldn't do anything when one ripped her eye out.

Nice, I'm guessing it was a post-apocalyptic campaign?

Thats a little extreme without warning people ahead of time, dude.

I don't usually go in for "trigger warning" type stuff, but in your case you should be careful with how you treat your players.

I understand how that guy feels, though I probably would have quit your campaign early, and anyways I'm not prone to dramatic outbursts, or long-term emotional reactions to disgusting violence. I just don't like them: gore and pain aren't my cup of tea.

Anyways, my point is just to inform you that you should be more careful.

I hope you do in fact understand where you went wrong (the campaign sounds cool, but it should be opt-in for people who revel in the darker side of thing) so you can avoid alienating people with your disturbing tastes.

Lol!

Yeah. It was fun as hell. We used GURPS.

>I hope you do in fact understand where you went wrong (the campaign sounds cool, but it should be opt-in for people who revel in the darker side of thing) so you can avoid alienating people with your disturbing tastes.
I didn't do anything wrong. If you can't handle the realities of life that take place all over the world on a daily basis, in a game, then you're a child I'm sorry.

>I didn't do anything wrong

You said some horrible stuff to people who came to play a game. It wasn't fun for them.

The fact that you don't understand that indicates that you have difficulty understanding how other feel. This may give you trouble in the future.

But its no skin off my nose. I tried to warn you, but you'll just have to learn the hard way.

>SCP

OOOOOH SO SPOOOOOOKY WOOOOOOOO

fuck off

>if you can't handle MUH EDGE when you're trying to have a fun enjoyable activity then you're clearly not as deep and cool as me!

ok, you have fun fapping to guroshit and I'll just be kicking back with some friends having a relaxing game instead.

>I didn't do anything wrong. If you can't handle the realities of life that take place all over the world on a daily basis, in a game, then you're a child I'm sorry.

I know autism is used lightly these days but I think you actually are autistic. Like says you apparently have significant trouble empathizing with other people. Talk to a therapist about psychological testing.

cheerful, outgoing, incredibly friendly creatures that are
1. Obscenely powerful in some way, like being able to burn ghosts, or being able to destroy literally anything on a whim.
2. Incredibly interested in "playing" with the party.
3. Rather unaware of their own strength when they play.
4. Little girls.

I mean, did they know what sort of campaign they were getting into or did you just spring that shit on them out of nowhere? If you told them straight up that it was a grimdark campaign about the horrors of war and they still threw a fit, it's on their shoulders. If you were just including gore for the sake of gore, then you're the shitter. How necessary was it?

People generally don't play games to encounter the horrible, soul crushing realities of life, my dude.

5 more minutes

You're a madman but I kind of love it.

I've done something to this effect, too.
I actually frightened my players once, since the little girl was actually a confused minor deity, who had forgotten it was a deity.
Went about how you'd expect.

user you're responding to.
I actually had them meet Flandre. Reactions were "Oh fuck" and "Nnnope!"
Then she asked if they were breakable, which provoked even more panic, until the player more versed in her lore said "yes, very", and somehow didn't get exploded.
Their main problem is that if they ever wind up with a portion of Gensokyo appearing in their world again, anf she's around, she really wants to play Danmaku with them.

Make likeable NPCs and then pretend that something bad might happen to them.

>How do you like to terrorize your players, Veeky Forums?
I follow one random player home from the game each time. It's night time, and I switch cars. I follow them, force them off the road and then violently rape them

Ah, there's nothing like good old player rape. Keeps the group in line.

They're just using you.

Wew lad that's pretty brutal
I guess that if they weren't expecting it and thought the game was more lighthearted I understand his reaction but if you told them from the start that it was going to be a that rough they are pussy

>SCP
Reddit is down the hall and to the left.

This. And occasionally go 'hmmmm'.

>it's one of those people that use tabletop games to masturbate