media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
When you think of all of the homebrew settings you've played in, what ones ( or what details ) stand out to you over the years? What are some of your favorite memories?

Other urls found in this thread:

kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder
enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?517094-Curse-of-Strahd-death-options
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'e only ever played in 2 campaigns, first was cut midway by the dm because he hated his first setting, so he made the second setting.

The first one was a really cool high magic setting, with a mages college that acted as a sort of police state aiming to prevent a second magical catastrophy, it didn't go far or was explored much though, he focused too much on character arcs.

The second setting was this really low magic with a broken empire and a theocracy and not only was it boring, something happened to his encounter building, it went from alright to abyssmal.

What're people's thoughts on creating their own thematic builds using class chassis but with features from other classes?
So you could have a hexblade using the EK core with warlock invocations and spells.

Also, forgot to include subject title. Posting from phone and didn't want thread to expire. Whoops. Fuck.

Don't worry, at least you posted early enough to link it in the previous thread. Unlike me. Fuck.

That sounds like some seriously high level min maxing, and likely to break a lot of balance.

If everyone got to do it, it could be fun.

Hi, 5eg. I'm torn between two warlocks as my next character, and was wondering if I could get your help deciding.

A note: the DM doesn't allow feats, multiclassing or UA that isn't revised ranger on the warlock invocations (and ONLY the invocations), but she does have a few weird rules regarding racial weapon proficiencies that'll be relevant later.

Anyhow, the two warlocks I'm looking at are:

a) A human GOO tomelock who found his patron's necronimicon in the lyceum library he was cloistered away in. Kept being irrestiably drawn to the book, and eventually gave in and tried to read it. Scorched his mind, gave him visions of a horrific being, and when he woke up he was kicked out, homeless, and in the street covered in filth with nothing but the tome. Gonna be an EB turret in combat with utility spells and rituals outside of it. I see him like a magical rogue: do the same thing in combat over and over and be useful outside of it. Pointbuy stats 9/10/10/16/15/16.

b) Mountain dwarf fiend bladelock. Former low-ranking military officer who got stationed in a town besieged by derro, he ended up getting really desperate and summoning up a demon for help. Ended up winning with the pact, but narrowly escaped execution for heresy. Now exiled and works as a mercenary.

Now the weird thing is, the DM's letting me use a maul for him for some reason. Dunno her reasons, but I'm not complaining. I can also use the +1 invocation from UA, so that's nice.

Thoughts? Not really looking for exact build advice, just which one would be preferable in terms of fun to play with/DM for.

I'm starting my first Roll20 campaign for friends of mine who live out of state. Any suggestions for tutorials on running games off Roll20? Also, as far as story goes, my players have requested "epic fantasy", "eldritch horror", and "The Underdark" as themes for the campaign. Any ideas on story/enemies?

Shit, forgot that dwarf bladelock would have 14/12/14/12/12/14 for stats at 1.

Which Druid circle would be best for playing a Druid whose central theme is the unpleasant parts of nature, such as bugs, plague, decay, etc?
Land for turning into massive nasty bugs?
reflavored Twilight for the necrotic damage and death themes?
Shepherd for hordes of creepy crawlies?

>weird thing is, the DM's letting me use a maul for him for some reason

Not at all a "weird" reason, it's RAW that you pick the form of your pact weapon and that you're proficient with it, even if it's not a weapon you'd normally have proficiency in.

Anyway, for your question, what's the rest of your party look like? The tomelock will probably be more effective, strictly speaking, but if you've got a good tank your bladelock could be more fun.

Maybe the DM doesn't realise Mountain dwarf proficiency doesn't include Mauls.

Probably twilight. Don't forget to take Infestation from the starter spells UA

Are European weekend shitposters awake yet?

I think it's inspiring that he got bored with his original vision and found the courage to become the mediocre DM that deep down he always wanted to be.

There's some YouTube series that gives advice, haven't watched it myself but it's an idea

"some" is a tad broad, do you know a particular channel/video that is preferred?

It dealt specifically with Roll20 I'll try and remember/find it

Taking20

Jan! Thank you Jan!

Personally I think bladelocks and fiend warlocks are more interesting to have around than GoO EB turrets, both from a DMing and fellow player standpoint. I also think you have a more interesting backstory for the dwarf.

Roll20 has extensive tutorials on their website, so that should be enough. Just make good use of them, and google things you want to do but can't. I'd start doing this kind of early though, because roll20 is fairly complicated and capable.

With those given themes you could probably one Out Of The Abyss no problem, if you're down with premade modules, as it hits all three requests fairly well.

Otherwise I like Illithids and other Far Realms creatures for my Underdark eldritch stuff, so that's another option.

Are they? Personally I find "I eldritch blast x target" pretty much the same as "I move there and attack x target"

I am.

At what point do you just have to say fuck it and attack the pc causing problems? I've been trying not to be the fun police but the cannibal necromancer in our party is just being a prick and I'm getting sick of it.

Make a sheet for loot where you can drop off magic items (so you don't have to repeatedly state their effects)
A lot of players seem to prefer line-art maps, in my experience.
Track initiative.
Just make a sheet for each creature type and modify it when a new enemy shows up.
Remember to put different things on their respective layers (the map on the map level, creatures on the objects layer, and your notes on the gm layer).
Fog of war makes things pitch black for the players, so make sure you don't block off a door completely with the fog, otherwise the players might forget that there's a door in the room they're in. I like to make a little V shape that penetrates any doorways the players haven't opened.

Talk with other players first, then collectively approach your DM. In other words, don't look for IC solutions for an OOC problem.

As a fellow player? ('our party')
If OOC dialogue (Hey your character is sort of clashing with the party) and IC dialogue (Yotan! If you do not learn to behave yourself we will have to kick you out.) does not work, you are at least somewhat justified.

My suggestion would be to involve the whole party. When you're in camp, tell the entire party that the cannibal is fucking you all over or whatever he's doing, and that you think he should be exiled from the party. If the other players wont kick him out, they probably enjoy the character and maybe you're the one in the wrong. Maybe make a new character or leave the group, if that is the case.

>cannibal necromancer
You know, using those words together in any context generally means something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.
I think you're probably in the right, but a good start is to get the rest of the party to tell him to tone that shit down so you know it's not just you.

Well that's three for talk with the players. Man I hope they can listen to reason and don't think I'm telling them they're having fun wrong.

Because if I don't talk some sense into them another player who is a-okay with pvp will absolutely attack them and be seen as the bad guy ooc.

If you had to pick between Booming Blade and Greenflame Blade, what would you choose?

Hexblade, for reference.

Greenflame Blade. Its just more damage because its rare for enemies to willingly move away, but it can be situational (such as enemies who may flee, or rogues using cunning action)

Yeah, everyone would get to do it. May even alleviate the problem of 5e feeling to 5 samey for some people.

Too* samey.

Booming blade, it's better for attacks of opportunity.

New to DMing, what's the best way to go about random encounters on the road, is there a guideline written about this or is as simple as write a few different creatures between 1-20 and roll for it?

Table rolling is a meme. Just come up with something of suitable difficulty and let them fight it.
Here's how you do it.
kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder

look up an encounter generator
use the generator
don't simply follow the dice roll but think again how awesome/awful this could turn out to be
if the result seems ok, go with it. if not, roll again or even regenerate the result list

taking the random out of random. nice idea

Just choose monsters based on the party's setting. Like if they're in a forest there might be some owlbears then if they ever look up there might be some harpies circling above them

Just started dming and I'm loving it. We usually play every other weekend but for the past 6 weeks we haven't played due to people flaking out.

I also just think fiendlocks are more interesting the "dude cthulhu lmao" GoO warlocks.

Don't neglect noncombat travel encounters, a traveling tinker with family or what have you can be an interesting encounter as well.

Unless a shitload of people are flaking out at the same time you should play without them.

So I feel like my DM is tired of DMing for us, or his "Players vs the DM" mentality has finally gone over its usual limit.

Recently several players of the party have lost All of their Equipment, all of their trinkets, gear and gold, that is a rough summary of a two year plot.

He hasn't done anything to replace it and pretty much said "fuck you" via NPC Dwarf King who took it.

Basically, the group was lead into a dwarf court room on false charges of murder, we were proved innocent via hard evidence and Zone of Truth, yet the Dwarf King still confiscated all of our goods due to the "transgressions" against his Clan. He told us that if we weren't strong enough to stop false claims against us, then we weren't Honorable and that Nobility has its "perks" when we objected both IC and OOC'ly about LOSING EVERYTHING we worked so hard for. The Wizard lost his familiar, our artificer lost his Mechanical Servant, our Necromancer his flame skull and our Archer his specialized Family Heirloom bow. The fighter was rendered useless, with no weapons or armor, he had an AC of 12 with only his fists to fight. Same with the Cleric, who had no holy symbol (they took that too) to cast spells.

We were then put outside of the stronghold, naked, on our way south to try to find some shelter and then we got attacked by 20 NPC's, fully decked out to deal with out party.

Mind you, we were imprisoned for two months, had exhaustion points, didn't get a chance to rest, no spells, nothing.

One of the players at the table killed themselves when they realized it was hopeless, by plunging a dagger into their own neck. The DM made him ROLL against HIS OWN AC in order to stab himself. Then made him do death Saves until he was dead, when the player, along with several members of my group, clearly wanted the encounter to end.

What the fuck man? We lost roughly 25,000 gold of Gear, items, Trinkets, etc. Were level 6, and we got our asses laid out by fully decked NPC's.

I am fucking pissed.

>after stranding on a shore far-off from civilization game turns into full-blown survival with sharpened rocks and sticks

Your DM does sound like a bit of a cunt, if what you're saying is true.

Circle of the land:Underdark

What a hero.

Without mĂșlticlassing, no one in Tg will ever do you the disservice of recommending a bladelock

>The Wizard lost his familiar,
Uuuh.. That's not possible user

I read that as Circle of the Landwhale.

You think that's going to matter to his DM?

How bad idea is to take Magic Initiate (Sorcerer) at Paladin for Shield and Firebolt?

Pretty much the worst idea possible.

Just use javelins for ranged and you will have sufficient AC from armour/shield/shield of faith and HP to not need Shield

Eh, same difference.

Learn to DM to spite 'em. Surpass them so this never happens again.

>tfw fell for the sorlock meme too late and it's taking forever to get my invocations

Are there any Player Character Races that are LARGE?

You had it coming for making meme builds instead of playing the game.

No, it's against the design philosophy of 5e. There are races with impressive build race feature, like goliaths, and there are also ways to become a big guy through spells, but that's it.

No

NO. That might interact weirdly with the system. If any race is big, they're Medium with Powerful Build trait (that gives them higher carrying capacity).

What exactly is the issue? I thought the idea was to take Warlockk 2 (to became EB turret) and then rest sorcerer for more options - i don't see how that could be bad. Maybe not the best, but certainly not bad.

As opposed to a dip in Sorcery and using that feat instead for boosting your Charisma?

A pretty crap idea

>Powerful Build trait
OK. Thanks.
Is that in the PHB or monster manual?

Yeah but I went sorcerer for 8 levels first

There's a few in Volo's with that trait

Elemental Evil/Volo's

Mostly in Volo's and i think Goliaths are in EE also (see attachement). They're typical example how games deal with big races.

>Yeah but I went sorcerer for 8 levels first
I can see how taking levels of warlock at that point might be disappointing. Sorry, user.

Want to run an idea passed you boys: How would you feel about a demon's souls style trapped-soul system to handle death? Planning to run Strahd soon (with some Castlevania influences) and was thinking of putting some aspects of Bolataria into Bovaria.

Main ideas so far are: if a player dies and isn't rez'd, their soul is trapped in the Nexus, they can return to Bovaria in soul form (with some penalty, either negative to a stat or loss of max HP similar to demon's souls). Blood magic can return their soul to their body (or a newly formed body) to fix their stats but with a permanent madness. I would have strahd exploit the player's want to return their body, if they are taken as vampire thralls in the usual way their souls are trapped in their body in the usual way. If they leave a dead PC's body the soul can escape and return as above but I'd have the body be captured and turned by strahd to fuck with the party.

Are there any glaring issues with this? The main idea is to build on the trapped-soul concept of Bovaria as well as introduce an aspect to death that's more than put-your-sheet-in-the-bin-and-start-again, which is more of a meta punishment than an in-game I feel. Also as a player I don't like losing characters I'm invested in but maybe others aren't like that and I'm just projecting? Waddya think?

Also madness if you die in soul form, to mimic souls becoming as red phantoms.

This is already a variant rule for Curse of Strahd.

See the Adventure league guidelines. If a player dies, the Dark Powers offer to Ressurect him with a curse

Here's a thread somewhere else that already did something similar

enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?517094-Curse-of-Strahd-death-options

Who here is hyped for ToA? The teasers look pretty good.

Playing Warcraft 3 using 5E, got any cool archetypes for Cleric, Fighter and Paladin ?

New Beasts for conjuring polymorphing and wild shaping are pretty hype

The familiar was sealed inside a 5 inch thick Iron box. Our Wizard couldn't dismiss it. Since our DM only allows familairs to be "pocket planed" if they are within reach.

The Wizard could still sense his familiar, but we couldn't get it back.

I bought some of the figure boxes and from all the dinosaurs in there I am getting pretty hype. A good CR range of beasts would really be appreciated, and the Velociraptor will probably be low enough to take as an Animal Companion.

>the DM doesn't allow feats, multiclassing or UA

Why would you play in this game?

You can also just recast the ritual

They've been selling the figure boxes at our FLGS here, are they worth it? Our group doesn't even use battlemaps.

I actually use the Velociraptor stats for the chicken in my Curse of Strahd campaign

It has led to some hilarious developments

L0L SO FYNNY and RanDOM

At the time and with those circumstances I don't believe the Wizard thought about that (I didn't.), nevertheless, we're all dead.

DM looked smug as fuck when he left...

Thanks senpai, I like the look of this.

my group does use battlemaps so for us it is worth it. I buy a box every two weeks or so and we've accumulated quite a collection now.

Just leave the game. Maybe offer to DM to the other players using the same characters (before they had their stuff stolen)

And on the other end of the spectrum we got idiots like me who allow UA, multiclassing said UA, feats, breaking rules for convenience (two weapon fighting, allowing to draw both weapons at the same time without feat) and homebrewing items and special abilities for characters if the players ask for them.
It would've been so much easier to just run things by the book and ban everything else.

>His DM doesn't run a Ravenloft campaign where everything is set out to kill them
>His DM doesn't present an envyroment so tense that the animals haven't had a Darwinistic process that allows them to inherit the primal wrath of their ancestors
>He'll never have the satisfaction of having his That Guy murder hobo behavior curbed by a ravenous pack of seemingly innocent animals
>His Green Hags coven won't be foreshadowed by this encounter
>Later he won't know the joy of having their rogue infiltrate the criminal element through a ring of cockfights

I'm so sorry your game is so one dimensional and sucks so hard user, don't give up.

It's universally acknowledged that DMs who ban feats are faggots who don't know how to upscale.

How do you know what mini is in each box?

You don't, it's random. One is always large sized and then three smaller figures in each box.

So you could conceivably spend 16 USD and get the same damn minis

Jesus fucking CHRIST

Conceivably. I didn't say it's not a scam. Just today I was kind of pissed because I bought a box and got the same damn Hippogriff I already had. I've never gotten two boxes that had exactly the same figures though. Like the large might be the same but the three smalls were different, and I've gotten some of the same smalls in multiple boxes, especially Orc, Goblins and Vegepygmies.

Keep finding excuses for your reddit-tier humor. I'm sure you will find a good ome eventually.

So why exactly did he do this. Do you know?

Has anyone here ever played/run a game that took place entirely in a large city? Like maybe you were fighting sewer cultists or a corrupt noble or a thieves guild or something?

I ask because i recently made a mastermind rogue and tried to play them in a standard adventurer type campaign and it didn't go well at all.

Jesus, I can feel the butt tender grief from here.

You'll be OK user, we'll all be ok. Chin up!

I ran a campaign from 1-5 where the city was on heavy lock down due to a serial killer. The players slowly learned more about the city and discovered clues before an eventual showdown at level 4.
Was good fun, investigation style games are my jam.

What the actual fuck is fucking wrong with you two?

Yup, but it only made it four or five sessions before the group fell apart.

It was pretty great, but our DM was a professional play writer, so I'm not sure how replicable our experience was.

Are there any examples of umbrellas in 5e?

Holding your shield up

Motivation for dwarf clerics?