What does popular culture look like in the grim darkness of the far future...

What does popular culture look like in the grim darkness of the far future? If you were in the charge of making Imperial videogame or Academy Awards winning movie, how would you subtly influence the loyal subjects to be willing to report their own heretical relatives and neighbours?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GHs2coAzLJ8
youtube.com/watch?v=MY-X8pxcXWQ&t=308s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Pop culture depends on the world. It might be bloodsport arenas on some, bardic tales on another. Imperial Propaganda would of course permeate it all.

It's a moot question, user. The Imperium doesn't have a unified culture, just some general threads running through it. There's not going to be anything that appeals to all of the imperium at once

Did the Harriers actually win the cup?

They secretly import Tau Anime to scratch their entertainment itch and justify by saying that since it's an adaptation of Human Events it's okay

Bump

>white people
>culture
Still have to pick one, even in space.

I would think the 40k universe is one where there is little time if any for entertaiment.

It's funny because you're desperate.

Everything is according to plan

Considering people have broken off into their own thing since the dawn of civilisation starting from race > continent > country > state/ province > city > town > village > club > family > friends
Humans have found a way to be unique among 7 billions bodies.
You have friends with inside jokes. That's unique to these friends. Working your way up you can have an inconceivable amount of variance.

This whole planet is full of unique people. Each little town in Britain for example has it's own culture and accent. In Germany you have dialects and accents spanning one end to the other. China has 2 official languages but there are dozens of other languages that are exclusive to cities and areas that we outsiders aren't aware of.

You look at every video game made and there is a small fandom updating the Wikipedia page. That's their club culture. It's neat thinking about how big this spans.

Does that mean that similar to how you have foreign knockoffs, there's millions of fan fiction tier versions of just about every 40k tv show in every hive World?

A hive city is considered big enough to be classified as a country.
And you have however many hive world's around.

But think of this. Amazing artists able to take the rawest emotions of man and portray them on a canvas and incite those emotion onto the viewers. These men are said to have come dark backgrounds, men who have felt these deep powerful feelings in times of stife.

Artists must suffer for the art, it is why we call it painting.

I know that the imperium and even the legions trapped in the warp would have made some amazing works and pieces beyond our scope.

More war movies than you could possibly believe, almost all of them based off real events. All sorts of genres and feels, but universally portraying the Imperium as the good guys and everyone else as the bad guys. Plenty of romance stories and comedies, because people are people. Arbites Noir movies set in Hives.

Amberley actually notes that they didn't. Seems like Khorne was not approving after all

It would probably look more like pic related than what you posted.

Tho it's hard to say, since there is a lot of pride on being part of mankind's last line of defense.

>Khorne is so assblasted he fucked with scrumball games

Dead Men Walking mentions that people go to "newsreel theaters" similar to how we go to movies. One of the protagonists thinks about how awesome the IG are in those newsreels and how he wishes he could be like them. Then he meets the Death Korps and finds out what it means to be one of those heroes. So, at least some of them are similar to 80s action movies where the Imperium always wins, and the movies are presented as factual accounts.

Well to be fair, The Kriegers are a special, I doubt they star in many Movies. I imagine that ones liked Catachan or Cadians fit the bill more nicely.
I am saddened that we will never get to see the AGP answer fan mail from little Tau and Human children who watch their Tau Anime.

That could actually be done...

Emperor Bless you Lord Shoggy

There's no unified "galactic culture". THe only way to communicate between planets is unreliable and simplistic astropath messages. Warp Travel makes traveling difficult.

The only thing worlds have in common is the Ecclesiarchy, which also varies heavily world to world

I imagine that due to the Size and Scale of the Imperium, it would be easier to just make your own media than import it from across the galaxy, resulting in Sectors, Systems, or even individual planets to have their own Media. Their own Romances, their own Comedies, their own Action Flicks, the works. Granted there are only so many ideas people can have, only a relative handful of them being good, and only a handful of THOSE ideas not heretical. There would probably be a lot of versions of what is essentially the same story but told with different details or cultural quirks and references, kind of like how different cultures ended up having their own version of the same stories in Their Mythologies.

I'm a tad tapped at present, but tell you what: supply me some "letters" and I'll answer. Either via email, or I can pop into this thread tomorrow, or whatever.

Depends on the world.
But probably games/movies about the imperial guard, marines and inquisitors cucking the xenos

I sorta like the idea of the Missionaria Galaxia seeding memes into cultures like the Bene Gesserit so there's at least some similarities through time and space

>Dear Super Deserter Gue'vesa Action Heroes,

Hello Action Heroes, I am big fan of you all! Your actions in the Name of the Greater Good Inspire both Gue'la and Tau, and You honor me by reading the letter of mine that this is! But I have Question? I would like to know, is Nubby really a Gue'la like you? He looks so strange compared to the rest of you, like how our Shas'la describe the little Greenskins, except not Green. Thank you greatly in advance.

If you are ever in the are of Space that is Near Ke'lshan, drop by sometime and visit, I will buy you meal no charge, and maybe Talk Tech with Tink-guy.

From,
Fio'la Ke'lshan Nori'jin

Hello Mr. Gue'vesa Action Heros Sirs,

My name is Vura'gos, but my friends call me Vurg. I'm not old enough to serve yet and am still training to enter service into the Tau Empire so that I can make the Galaxy a better place and bring the Greater Good to it, just like you guys! I think you're all really cool and brave, fighting all sorts of monsters like Tyranids and Orkz all the time. I think it's even cooler that you managed to do that with out the Greater Good when you were part of the Imperium. Speaking of which, is it really that bad? I've heard a lot of bad things about it like how they shoot their own men for looking at them funny or how they'll sacrifice thousands of their own men for no reason, but is it really that horrible? If it is, that just makes you guys even more awesome for surviving that. I'm going to train and study really hard so that when I Grow up, I can fight and guard against the evils of the Universe with you guys!

From,
Shas'Saal Vior'la Vura'gos

Hello Mister Guardsmen,

My Name is Mikail, but you can call me Miley if you want, and I am 8 and a half years old. I watch your show every week except when my mom and dad are punishing me for doing something bad. Then I have to ask my friend Mony what happens. Her real names Mon'fin but I call her Mony cuz it's easier to say and it sounds nicer and she lets me cuz she's cool like that. Anyway I love your show. Is it real? Do you really do cool stuff fight monsters and witches?! My friend Lucas says it's fake, but I think he's just sayin that cuz hes jelos. Have you guys ever met a real Space Marine. My Dad said he did when he used to work for a rouge trader before they forgot him and left home behind. He said that they're twice as big as a regular human and three times as mean and angry and that they eat other humans sometimes. Is that True? That sounds really gross! Keep being amazing!

From,
Mikail Ursus

>cucking
>Xenos
I'm going to give you the Benefit of the doubt and assume that you don't know what cucking means and weren't just suggesting something horrible heretical.

>Tallarn, Catachan, Vostroyan, Valhallan Elysian, and Cadian, all United by Bane-posting
This is funny to me.

>You're a big guy.
>For the Emperor!

>The Kriegers are a special, I doubt they star in many Movies.
That assumes accurate portrayal.
I can see a Seven Samurai-style production with guards brought together from various different planets, where the Krieger is the stoic who finds himself falling in love with the local girl and either dying tragically, or returning to his unit with a wistful look in his eye.
Actual Death Korps would be annoyed by it, of course, but it's not like any of them would ever watch it.

Hello Deserters, Traitors, and Blasphemers,

This is Inquisitor Kulatrix of the Ordo Xenos. I hope you are having a pleasant time contracting a multitude of deadly xeno diseases and having your sinuses filled to the brim with mind-altering pheremones. I have written this letter to inform you that it is not too late to serve your duty to our immortal God Emperor. If you respond to this message with the exact location, planet, and sector that you and the rest of your traitorous kin are currently residing, then the Emperor may grant you peace within the afterlife. Eternal salvation in the next life is not beyond your grasp, for even though you are a cowardly renegade, you are still a human being under the watchful eye of our Emperor. Choose wisely.

From,
The Emperor's Holy Inquisition.

I have a suspicion that this stunning lack of communication and coordination between the branches of the Inquisition might be Oak's fault.

Greetings O honorable Gue'vesa Heros,

I am pleased to have you receive my letter. It is apparent that five of you are all ex-guardsmen who served together, but I am left with many questions about your sixth companion. Where did you meet him? How did he come to join you? Why does he obey the every order of Nubby? What does he wear his goggles on broad day light? And Most importantly, Why is he just so damn cute?

From,
Aun'Vre Bor'kan Bun'un

>Actual Death Korps would be annoyed by it
I doubt most of them would even Understand it. Those that do would dismiss it as the luxuries of the loyal while feeling pangs of envy.

>there is a planet somewhere in the imperium that venerates the immortal emperor through idolshit

>Inquisitors get rumors of cultists involved with the tournament; have to find out if it's Tau cultural infiltration, Slaanesh-worshippers twisting the original intent, or Genestealers being goddamn Genestealers.
Could be a fun backdrop for an adventure.

>Dead Men Walking mentions that people go to "newsreel theaters" similar to how we go to movies.
Actually that's what people use to go to the movie theaters for; News Reels depicting events around the world.

>>there is a planet somewhere in the imperium that venerates the immortal emperor through idolshit
Here you go!

Google "comics code". If you don't want to, here's a basic summary.
The Comics Code was a set of rules that was supposed to make comic books more "wholesome" and "kid-friendly", but really just made them samey bullshit where the heroes were always square-jawed paragons of justice who always triumphed, the villains were completely, puppy-kickingly evil with absolutely no redeeming or humanizing qualities who were always captured, and anything deemed "unsafe for kids" like drugs, sex, alcohol, horror comics, or blood was taboo. Something similar would be entirely in-character for the Imperium.

>Policemen, judges, government officials, and respected institutions shall never be presented in such a way as to create disrespect for established authority.
>In every instance good shall triumph over evil and the criminal punished for his misdeeds.
>Scenes dealing with, or instruments associated with walking dead, torture, vampires and vampirism, ghouls, cannibalism, and werewolfism are prohibited.
>Sex perversion or any inference to same is strictly forbidden.
>All scenes of horror, excessive bloodshed, gory or gruesome crimes, depravity, lust, sadism, masochism shall not be permitted.
I think it's obvious. We live on an imperial world.

>Scenes dealing with, or instruments associated with walking dead, torture, vampires and vampirism, ghouls, cannibalism, and werewolfism are prohibited.
To the contrary, every tale ends with a Heretic of Mutant getting burned at the stake.

Imagine Chick Tracts

The thing is the main character receives quite the shock from the Korps. But his life goes so far to shit that he embraces the suck and becomes one of them, even going so far as to be willing to sacrifice himself if I remember the end right.

>What does popular culture look like in the grim darkness of the far future?
This
youtube.com/watch?v=GHs2coAzLJ8

>baneposts
That is just exceptionally pleasing.

>Well to be fair, The Kriegers are a special, I doubt they star in many Movies.
They probably do, just with a hero filter.

I imagine that they make propaganda for all the great regiments of the Imperium, but in the movies they're all played by people who haven't even seen the regiment in action. Since the Death Korps aren't movie material the filmmakers just paint them as the standard "Emperor good, others bad" kind of guardsman. It's like in WWII where Americans didn't talk about Soviet Russia's dark side.

youtube.com/watch?v=MY-X8pxcXWQ&t=308s

We are aware of Arbitrator Foreboding, who is a cross of Judge Dredd and Clint Eastwood. There also a show about lighting pilots during the gothic war, who are far too attractive to be actual imperial navy pilots.

Depends, the Imperium's pretty lax as far as culture goes, as long as the God-Emperor and militarism are glorified.

In some books, like the Cain series, there's mention of sports team, multiple books about religion and war and biographies. In Titanicus, there's a toy maker.

Yep, in the end he gets a dead grenadier's uniform and starts walking into the necron tomb alone to blow it up.

I like to think he pulled it off.

So do I. ;-;

>I'm going to give you the Benefit of the doubt and assume that you don't know what cucking means and weren't just suggesting something horrible heretical.
These days, "cucking" simply means "doing something the other party doesn't like". It works well because it limits the mental efforts one has to exert to shitpost, like using "shit" in place of nouns.

>I think it's obvious. We live on an imperial world.
You know that the CCA was thrown out several years ago after Marvel and DC stopped caring about it. Those two companies changed their policy to ignore the CCA, and the very next day Archie Comics (the only publisher that was still using it besides them) announced that they were abandoning the CCA as well.

>I'm going to give you the Benefit of the doubt and assume that you don't know what cucking means and weren't just suggesting something horrible heretical.
Not literally cucking them, more like in "beating the shit out of them"

>These days, "cucking" simply means "doing something the other party doesn't like".

hope you like HYMNS

It's a buzzword that has lost all meaning, really. Except on pol I guess, where people use it when they think about black men fucking their wives.

>... when they fantasize about black men fucking their wives.
>... when they jerk off to the thought of black men fucking their wives.

Most of em have a downright creepy obsession with this scenario. It's the same kind of paranoid fascination many have about gays and who puts their dicks in what hole and will I become gay and yadda yadda.

It was /pol/ that changed the meaning of the word

It's Always Sunny on Ultramar
I'll leave it to you guys to figure out who plays who

If the sound anything like the Dawn of War 1 soundtrack, especially the Imperial Guard ones, then FUCK YES I DO!

I'm as 'uman as um, uh, a guy wots really umany! Yeah!

I even gots a card that says so an everyfin. Most people don't gots one of those, but I do.

That's 'ow 'uman I am.

Bad? Maybe, but let me tell you son, serving in the Guard has been the proudest years of my life. Sure, we might not have the fanciest gear, the enemy will literally eat you for breakfast if they get a chance, and everyone over the rank of Sergeant is trying their hardest to get you and your buddies killed... And the weather sucks, the food is shit, and sometimes they forget to pay you for three or four years at a time, and when you complain they tell you that you were listed as KIA back in your first engagement and you need to submit a form to the Munitorum sector headquarters, which'll take about five more years to process...

Still though, you ever heard of some fancy-pants Space Marine chapter defending a planet from a chaos raiding fleet with nothing but a bunch of laslocks because they got shipped the wrong weapons and ammo? Didn't think so.

Stay in school kid, and in a few years come on down and enlist in the [VIOR'LA SEPT DEFENSE FORCE], we'll make a [CONSCIENTIOUS CITIZEN] out of you.

Of course it's real Miley! There's even some bits we left out because they were too awesome, like the time I killed a Hive Tyrant with my SGDVAH Plasma Gun and Spot 2.0 Recon Drone (scale models coming to a store near you!).

We've actually met a bunch of Space Marines.They're just a big and mean as your dad said, but only the chaos ones eat people, and they're armor doesn't make them any smarter, which is why all the ones we meet keep dying. Their fancy armor is cool I guess, but nowhere near as cool as battlesuits!

Tell your friend Mony I said hi, and you can show Lucas this letter as proof that everything in the show is 100% completely factual.

In one of the Cain novels, I remember a show about a team of Imperial pilots shooting stupid numbers of enemy aircraft being mentioned at one point. Can't remember which one, sadly.

>everything in the show is 100% completely factual.
Wait, does that include the episode where a Xenos Witch turns him into a girl?

Kek

>Rex=Space Marine
>Nazi's=Eldar
>Chubby Redhead=Techpriest

Dear Sir/Madam/Being of Indeterminate Gender, as stated in the Super Deserter Gue'Vesa Action Heroes (SDGVAH) boilerplate: The story, all names, characters, and incidents portrayed in this production are fictitious. No identification with actual persons (living or deceased), places, buildings, and products is intended or should be inferred.

No aspect of this series or its characters is in any way connected to the Imperium of Man, or it's Holy Inquisition. Furthermore Lars Weebu Studios Incorporated™ is a freeholding corporate entity licensed to distribute content in the Tau Empire and various unaffiliated worlds in the surrounding regions, and does not fall under your purview.

Kulatix, you were always a perfidious little dog turd when we served together under Inquisitor Johan, and I see the years have not improved your disposition or sense of proper priority. If you persist in harassing my staff like this I will have certain pictures from our third year together mailed to every single Inquisitorial Outpost, Adminstratum Depot, and Sororitas Convent from here to Terra.

-LWSI Legal Department

>Luth
smile and optimism restored

Oh great and powerful Shoggy,
How goes the writing progress? Is there any chance of an update soonish?

I'm just getting back into the swing of things now. I'm going to try and aim for end of the month, but it's going to come down to how much I can get done during work hours with the new boss and shit.

We'll see.

Take your time. No wait is too long for the quality of AGP.

What is this?

the mechanicus found a surplus of old, outdated cogitators that was useless for any purpose
they repurposed it into a entertainment system to keep the workers happy, and thus revolt less
as it was designed for use by the families of the workers, they christened it the family cogitator, or famicog
it was so successful, that they were granted special permission by their arch-magos to sell them to non-forgeworlds, where they re-christened it the Emperor Entertainment System, or EES, to make it more palatable to people afraid of technology, such as feudal worlds
they also changed the original design, clad in admech red, to a more utilitarian grey, to look more like familiar IG or PDF equipment

Bump

Then why not just say "fucking with" which is a phrase that has already become a catch-all instead of using a completely unrelated word because it sounds hip?

Thats fucking gold, user.

Because he's an underage Redditor.