ITT: trigger a MtG player

>childrens card game
>selling proxies as the real deal
>stealing cards just to sell them
>only playing cockatrice for free
>"investing"
>Force of Will is better
>Muh inclussioness

Magic isn't a perfect game, or even the best game.

It is not perfect, but I'd fucking fight someone if they actually thought there was a better card game out there

I enjoy a few other games more, but I understand that some people like it best, and that's okay. It's just an opinion, after all.

So this is like Yu-Gi-Oh!, right?

Is Force of Will better? I have no fucking idea how to play that game but it looks fun.

Fuck you ill kill you

*flick*flick*flick*flick*flick*flick*flick*flick*

Advantges over Magic:
>Land system is better
>Aggro is less dominant
>Colors better balanced
>Cheaper to get into
>Greater variety of aesthetics in any given block
>Chant-Standby is a really interesting mechanic

Disadvantages:
>Lower quality art in general
>Smaller player base
>Smaller card pool due to being a younger game
>Less crazy combos and broken card exploits
>An entire block was pretty much retconned out

What are other cardgames of equal merit and what are their strengths over mtg?

"Oh, you play magic! But you're so skinny and you're sociable!"

I'll start with Yu-Gi-Oh (unironically)

To clear up some common complaints:
>Archetypes (the "supertribals", so to speak) are now becoming more useable as self-contained engines, meaning deck building is a lot more varied than the 5D's and Zexal eras
>While certain glass-cannon decks decide the game on turn 2, one of the top decks in the game right now is effectively midrange

And now, for its strengths and weaknesses compared to Magic:

Strengths:
>Game constantly evolving with actually well-designed new gimmicks and mechanics
>Incredibly low pricepoint of entry and frequent staple reprints makes competitive formats more accessible
>Card art captures a wide variety of aesthetics, between the anime and the ongoing (and unrelated to the anime) metaplots
>Aside from certain glass cannon decks, games less likely to be decided by a bad hand
>Fewer elitists

Weaknesses:
>Worse sides of the community are generally worse
>Memes
>Occasional hypercentralized formats (think Magic's current Standard)
>Some decks are disproportionately expensive for their viability (Nekroz and Darklords are the best example)
>Many Magic players will resent you, possible call you a "traitor" (may not be the case where you live)

Next couple posts will be for Vanguard and Duel Masters

Vanguard

Strengths:
>Budget decks are the cheapest I've seen in any game for a competitive deck
>Every mechanic, theme, etc. gets support later on
>Variety of decks for multiple playstyles, at every level of budget and competitive play
>Relatively balanced below the top tier
>Unique mechanics allow for players to rarely if ever be locked out of playing by bad draws, while still leaving deckbuilding-influenced randomness relevant

Weaknesses:
>"Waifu tax"
>Most players are weebs
>Barely any English community
>More rigid about "supertribal" than any other game
>Some staples for certain clans (as they're called) are $40+ that haven't been reprinted in years
>Some of the fans might look down on you for not watching the shotty anime
>The decks that are tier 1 are obscenely overpowered in too many ways (Gear Chronicle has Birthing Pod keyworded, in a clan full of ETBs)

Duel Masters

Strengths:
>Best mana system I've seen in a game
>Amazing artwork, consistently great over time
>No instants, but between Shield Triggers and Ninja Strike, counterplay is still both possible and plentiful
>Lifegain is meaningful and the decision to attack or not is frequently relevant, even on an empty board
>Easier to learn basics than Magic, but with a much higher learning curve
>Game focused entirely around what is basically Legacy, with all cards balanced around both inevitable power creep and the OP cards from the early days

Disadvantages:
>Hasn't been available outside of Japan since WotC refused to do anything about a deck that centralized the meta for a couple years (despite WotC Japan just banning the card that made it a problem)
>Only remotely active English-language client is outdated
>Over-the-top card names can feel goofy and be hard to remember distinctly
>WotC's shitty attempt at a reboot (instead of just porting the game back over) left a sour taste in a lot of peoples' mouths

you got me triggered.

>pendulum
>well designed
Sorry but you gave yourself away

>Pendulums
>Recent
How's Khans of Tarkir? Those Jeskai guys look fun.

BASED

They're rather easy to deal with. Not even as strong as synchros or xyz.

Pendulum is the second newest gimmick, link hasn't even been out long and it seems to exist just to spite how good pendulum was

Especially after Master Rule 4.

New major mechanic, yes, but compare Yang Zings to Qliphorts to Nekroz to Metalfoes.

Man, I wish Duel Masters was still floating around. I fucking love that game.

being "easy to deal with" doesn't make it "well designed". Being "well designed" doesn't have anything to do with power level in that sense. Something that unplayable shit is its own sort of bad design. Pndulums aren't that bad but still.

Force of Will has superior waifus

Think you can do one of these for Netrunner?

Our creative consultants have helped us design the new set. It's going to be based in Dominaria and will feature the Gatewatch as the focal point!

ugly as sin art

Power indicated by the hundreds or thousands makes me puke.

What makes it bad design user?

Neowalkers aren't real M:tG players so this thread is pointless.

Mishmash of several individual mechanics to make it work (creatures that can becomes spells, okay... and also they go to the extra when destroyed, and also they have different numbers on either side to summon monsters from your hand when you get two, and also you can summon from the extra, etc. when monsters that could be played as spells could be its own thing), an A+B mechanic, an increased reliance on tutoring which increases time spent searching decks and not actually playing, off the top of my head, there's a lot of issues with them.

>"what are you doing?"
>"mana weaving"

Let's be honest, Duel Masters was like a polished MtG that god rid of the sins of the father.

Let me suffer now.

Kill yourselves asscrack neckbears

People who don't want to spend $500 on a deck to try a game out that they haven't played competitively aren't lesser human beings.

>neckbears

MTG is pay to win and is heavily luck based.

People calling any game where there is no way to play 100% free pay to win triggers me in general.

It's more accurate to say these games are "pay intelligently to win".

>magic
>heavily luck based
Have you fucking played hearthstone? Magic is no more luck based than any other card game

I can't play a board game for free but they're generally not pay to win.

Sure you can. Have friends.

I could borrow their magic deck too, therefore MtG isn't pay to win?

You will never own one that's real. You will never play with a real one. Your collection will never be complete.

Why is that boy wearing a bikini? He doesn't pull it off very well.

that's the joke you fucking retard

>So wait, everyone has at least one creature?
>Okay, on his upkeep, I target consecrated sphinx.

Now, that could be a reasonable play in some circumstances, maybe, but you are aware Consecrated Sphinx's ability has a "may," right? That doesn't empty everyone's deck or anything.

>Less broken card exploits
>Disadvantage

Poker

>Uncle was a massive neckbeard
>Made a bunch of really good investments with my grandpa when he was a teenager, basically lived on stock dividends and working as a sound engineer at a bar
>Had his own fucking everquest kingdom and everything
>had a FUCKING PLAYSET OF ALPHA BLACK LOTUSES
>Lost them and a huge collection of vintage cards back in 2007 when hurricane Ike came through, fire from a neighbor's house spread

I recently ran across a YouTube video titled, "One With Nothing: A Defense."

I believed that the point of view discussed in the video was well-reasoned and clear and now agree that One With Nothing is a good card.

>Want to get into MtG for fun
>Worries about super uptight inclusiveness of the community and tryhards

This was the case at my old uni. Unless you spent hundreds of dollars on a card game they looked at you like you were some sort of subhuman and thumbed their noses at you like jackasses.

Jokes on you Anthony I fucked your girlfriend behind your back anyway

That physically pained me to finish reading. The poor bastard

This is why you keep a separate rider on your insurance for any collectible worth tens of thousand. If he had insurance on his collection and proof of what it contained he would have gotten ~90% of its value from the insurance company.

>hurricane (bunch of water flying around) caused a fire

What the fuck are you talking about. Youre uncle sounds like a retard by the way.

I'd say go for it. It's a fun game to play casually, and messing around with the various combinations of flavor and gameplay are entertaining. Nothing like standard's soon to be meta of Dinosaurs in Cars.

>flood water gets to a circuit breaker
>sparks ignite the dry wall above it
It actually happens user

Im only interested in Commander, it seems the most unique and creative out of any other card game ive played.

>flood breaks telephone poles
>flood breaks gas lines
>broken power lines + gas leaks = ???
You should be able to solve this one

> how can we differentiate our card game?
> add two zeros

Best post I've seen on Veeky Forums in a fucking week.
This, neckbeards, is called being a fucking adult.

Only do it if you already have friends who play.

Good set for it too.
>dinosaur commander, vamp commander or pirate commander?

tfw everyone forgets merfolk

Oh yeah.

Sorry man, I am excited about them too.

Bought myself a plunder the graves precon after doing alot of research

OH MY FUCKING- there was a guy in the group at my high school that did it all the fucking time. Wouldn't stop.

What makes Magic fun is the fact there are dozens of infinite combos, turn 1 kills and stack abuse tactics.

Magic is pay to win in the sense a LCG is not. Everyone wants the good cards and they are the more expensive, so people are stuck being able to build awful cheap decks which can still play or buy into something actually good.

Magic is expensive because you can invest in expensive cards, buying a staple at relatively low cost and once you have most of the copies, sell them at a higher cost back into circulation.

Literally the same as diamonds, except cardboard.

theres water everywhere though

And that's a good thing because?

Mana weaving means you have less chance overall to not get mana flood/screw. It follows the same idea that if you put cards that you want together, then even after shuffling, you're likely to have those cards nearby, if not right next to each other.

Yes, flood level waters are constantly threatening my circuit breaker here in Indiana. You chucklefuck that shit is only a problem when you have 5 feet of water coming in a building

what are you attempting to convey

that's not what pay2win means though, that just means it costs more money than you are willing to pay to play.

>You chucklefuck that shit is only a problem when you have 5 feet of water coming in a building

But thats what hurricanes and floods do?

Am I missing something here

So you're knowingly rigging your deck to have cards more likely to be in a certain order, and know where those cards are.

Yes? I'm entirely confused how you and don't understand. You have enough water come in to spark a circuit breaker and it burns the drier part of the house above. This happens pretty regularly in floods and hurricanes

The winds regularly put water in places it otherwise would not go.
The winds also can knock down things, like power poles.
The rain can short out things that it would otherwise be too high to reach.
The fact that there is water nearby does not stop a fire from happening, only makes it easier, if that water can be channeled, to douse.
To douse a fire requires a large amount of water, usually a bucket's worth.
In the middle of a goddamn hurricane, you may not be able to get to a bucket quickly, or may have other concerns that you need to prioritize before you deal with a fire that is not threatening human life.

you have good taste user.

I saw vid on YT about that very card.

Fuckkkkkkkkkkkk I hate flickersssss

Fire isn't elementally opposed to water like people used to think when we thought of "the elements" as fire, earth, air, and water. Fire needs three things to burn: oxygen, heat, and fuel. Water usually puts out fires by choking them of oxygen in the short term or dissipating heat. A fire that isn't submerged (which isn't being choked of oxygen) that is hot enough to sustain itself will continue to burn. Why do you think fire extinguishers aren't just full of water under pressure?

>The fact that there is water nearby does not stop a fire from happening, only makes it easier, if that water can be channeled, to douse.
>To douse a fire requires a large amount of water, usually a bucket's worth.
And, to add to that, if there's any grease or oil on the surface of the water, throwing water on it won't do anything. Grease/oil burns at a temperature that's higher than the boiling point of water, which means that trying to extinguish such a fire with water is ineffective at best and will make the fire spread faster at worst.

> trigger a MtG player
> a MtG
> Uh Em-Tee-Gee

You win.

>Shuffle graveyard into deck
>Shuffle nonlands and lands together
>Shuffle the two stacks together
>Perfectly distributed deck

>trigger a MtG player
>trigger a Magic the Gathering player

HAY BROS WANNA GO PLAY SUM WHY-GEE-OH?

>Magic the Gathering player

> ctrl + f Magic The Gathering player

Weird, it's like you're the only person that's posted that. OP sure didn't.

I'm the user that stuck around a thread all night a bit ago defending how I manaweave:
1. Never waste other players time by doing it.
2. Always randomize well afterwards.

I do it because the process of randomizing the cards is largely effective, mostly successful, but never perfect.
This means that in practice, the cards won't always be 100% perfectly randomized.
In such cases, if my land cards are clumped, I will have an increased chance of an unfun game, but if my cards are manaweaved, I will have an increased chance of an actual game.

>manaweaving with the intent of rigging
Kudos for staying on topic.

That's why you shuffle, you braindead retard.

Best plainwalker. Jacewatch is going to be the next avengers. Can't wait for the movie!

And so on.

It is pay to win because decks under a certain investment will underperform really hard in every format, if the case was that there weren't weak cheap decks and it only demanded hundreds of bucks to play, then you'd be right, but until you reach a rather high threshold anyone can drop three hundred bucks into a deck that costs as much as yours and crush you effortlessly.

If you are sufficiently randomizing, then why are you mana waving in the first place? Your very logic is flawed because if you are sufficiently randomizing, then you shouldn't be getting clumps, and while you are mana weaving you are directly and deliberately stacking the deck in your favor.

Because its not about logic, it makes people feel better, like they've done all they can do to ensure randomization. Think of it like a good luck ritual.

>enter tourney
>Run nothing but basic lands
>Ask what opponents cards do
>Bend cards when you pick them up
>Still get promo token

easy