Is anybody else tired of Starwars? I used to love it, but I can't help but feel like its getting shoved down my throat...

Is anybody else tired of Starwars? I used to love it, but I can't help but feel like its getting shoved down my throat, especially at the FLGS.

>Imperial Assault
>X-Wing
>Armada
>Legions

Not to mention the new SW movie every single year, the abundance of SW merchandise, and how often it comes up.

Is SW getting over promoted to death?

>Is SW getting over promoted to death?
Yes, Disney decided to milk every franchise they have rights for dry.

I've been tired of it for a while.

I sure hope Disney doesn't milk it to death. I mean, what, will we have twenty Star Wars movies in 13 years? That's a bit much.

What I heard was the plan is these six movies in six years, decade break while they milk the fuck out of it in every other possible way, and then think about making even more movies after that.

Too bad you can't sweep movies under the rug like EU.

Sure you can. Nobody talks about the Holiday Special.

That was a TV special broadcasted once in an era before recording equipment became ubiquitous, not a theatrically released movie.

I definitely am tired of it and especially how it's shoving le epic girlz power down our throats as well. And just repeating all the old stories with new characters without adding anything interesting to the SW universe. Fucking tiring.

>Is SW getting over promoted to death?

FUCK YOU.

BUY MORE MERCHANDISE.

They've already announced the seventh film for the seventh year.

>I used to love Star Wars, but now it's super popular and seemingly everywhere and everyone likes it. wtf I hate Star Wars now?
You're just a contrarian.

Disney ruined the setting, and amazingly fast at that. I never thought I'd miss the Old EU.

Star Wars selling lots of toys, this is a new thing?

How close were they to actually making another movie before Disney bought Star Wars. I know Lucas had a ton of ideas written and drawn out, and they were still expanding heavily on clone wars and EU content, plus Battlefront 3 and several other major games were going to be released, so it wasn't like star wars was dying or anything before Disney took over.

yeah it's all disney's fault star wars was never about merchandise and it was always an obscure cult franchise not this mainstream shit the mouse turned it into

Nerd hipsters are hilarious.

>I never thought I'd miss the Old EU.

Fucking this. I miss the hell out of Kyp Durron and the Suncrusher. I miss the hell out of force-suppressing salamandars (whose name I can never spell right). I miss the hell out of a seemingly unending stream of clones. I miss the hell out of Kevin J Anderson novels, and functional lightsaber crystals made from glue paste, and Luke losing his Jedi powers and joining a cult, and gay Hutts, and characters falling in love with sentient spaceships, and very definitely the Yuuzhan Vong.

Wait...

I don't miss any of that.

The Old EU fucking sucked, consistently, for ~20 years. The new universe might suck, but at least there the POSSIBILITY that media will come out of it that doesn't suck. The only thing we got that was worthwhile out of the old EU was a neat character in Thrawn and we got KOTOR. Aside from those, the only good parts of Star Wars was the actual canon material - movies, scripts, books, and radioplays. The rest of it categorically sucked and operated mainly as a vehicle for power fantasies and wish fulfillment instead of actually exploring the SW universe and telling compelling stories. Good riddance.

Star Wars was wearing out its welcome for me by the third movie and and I have no idea how a franchise that peaked in 1980 still produces money.

Goddamn I hope you're being sarcastic.

>tired of Starwars
Hell no.

:^)

Not him, but fuck you, everybody who thinks this current shit is star wars couldn't have watched the old movies more than once, and that was the limit of their interaction with the setting. Star wars are fucking gone. Now it's just the same bullshit we get in every other action movie, with similarly bland accompanying material, only in a vaguely familiar coat of paint. The old eu was shit, but at least it was it's own shit, that didn't really care about being shit

Suncrusher was just a less dumb Starkiller Base

just like how Jacen Solo was a less dumb Kylo Ren

or just like how Jaina Solo was a less dumb Rey

or just like how Eclipse was a less dumb Supremacy

Father/Mother/Daughter/Son are a less dumb version of Force Trees

btw, Yuuzhan Vong was a masterpiece compared to TFA, and I didnt even like Yuuzhan Vong.

Nah, I'm not as in to Star Wars as I used to be, but I have a mild interest in all the new shit coming out. I didn't even mind TFA and I loved Rogue One.

I just wish the vidya games were as good, and varied, as they used to be. Less mobile shit.

Rogue One was paper thin, but it was a fun romp around the SW setting watching people get blown the fuck up with turbo lasers so I can't be mad at it.

Droids blowing people the fuck up are also fun, I just wonder what happened to the Bothans.

>I just wonder what happened to the Bothans
Deathstar II
Not the first one.

Ah. That explains that then.

Not him, but fuck your shit. I wore out 2 full sets of the OT on VHS by watching them almost daily growing up. I saw the special editions in theaters (multiple times), and went to the premiere showings of all three prequels (and multiple showings after). I've read more than half of the published EU, played games video and tabletop.

Look, I'm not going to tell you to like something you don't, and I won't argue that DisneyWars is perfect because it's far from it. But if you think that fans of the new shit aren't "real" fans who "only saw the movies once" you can go fuck yourself with your gatekeeper bullshit.

>Suncrusher was just a less dumb Starkiller Base
Categorically wrong. At least the Base could be fucking destroyed, dumbass.

>just like how Jacen Solo was a less dumb Kylo Ren
Jacen's story is over. Kylo's has barely started. Did you judge Jacen based on the first book he was in? Wait - you probably did, because you're a dumbass.

>or just like how Jaina Solo was a less dumb Rey
See above re: we don't know enough about Rey to say one way or the other. I bet you dismissed Queequeg as just another dumb Indian based on the first two chapters, didn't you dumbass?

>or just like how Eclipse was a less dumb Supremacy
There no "less dumb" when the entire concept of fuckoffhuge retarded starships is dumb on its face. Neither ship should exist, thus both are equally dumb. Yes, the Empire people all have tiny dicks, we get it. You'd fit in with them. Dumbass.

>Father/Mother/Daughter/Son are a less dumb version of Force Trees
I will grant this point. However, you're 1 for 5 thus far, and a 20% average marks you as a dumbass.

>btw, Yuuzhan Vong was a masterpiece compared to TFA, and I didnt even like Yuuzhan Vong.
You're insane. Yuuzhan Vong were a Holiday Special-tier threat; they might as well be wizards in pointy hats for all the ways they broke every rule of the setting. TFA is a "meh"-tier movie that's largely a rehash, but it's in no way the worst shit ever, or sub-TPM in quality. You're being a dumbass, dumbass.

>Is anybody else tired of Starwars?

I was tired of it by 1978.

Congratulations, OP. You just took another step towards growing up.

I believe you meant to say, "You've taken your first step into a larger world."

this.

Star Wars was magic when it first came out because those specific concepts and styles had not been done in space opera before.

Disney's plan is going to deep throat us with the same shit over and over again. it's not magic: it's forced nostalgia.

wow, you two are two sides of the same coin, and the first thing you do: go fight one another.
fuck!

both of you go fuck yourselves. don't you
realize you are perhaps in the same demographic the prior user
was, and are not some 18 year old shit whose never seen VHS at all???

please! read the fine lines before you old fucks fight yourselves into incompetency before the zerg arrive!

>Star Wars was magic when it first came out because those specific concepts and styles had not been done in space opera before.

Everything's been done. There's nothing new or magical anymore, because with CGI, we can do anything in the range of human imagination, and the audiences know it. They know it going into the theatre, and they're not impressed by whatever a computer can render. The magic is gone. Forever.

You can either live with that, or deliberately choose to experience a little taste of that magic again by indulging in some occasional (1 movie/year) nostalgia.

look out it's the internet police

or, at least the voice of reason.

Everythign has been done NOW.

we really need a hard flip of the skull to get creative, and your rest of statement is fully correct in that regard

The Allston books were pretty good. But you're right, 99% of the EU was garbage. You didn't even touch the real cream of the crap, like the Crystal Star, or those ones with Trioculous and how he got killed by the Leia-Robot.

how is saying
>everybody who thinks this current shit is star wars couldn't have watched the old movies more than once

the "same coin" as saying

>Look, I'm not going to tell you to like something you don't, and I won't argue that DisneyWars is perfect because it's far from it. But if you think that fans of the new shit aren't "real" fans who "only saw the movies once" you can go fuck yourself with your gatekeeper bullshit.

I was disappointed enough with TFA. As much as Star Wars had always been a merchandise thing, Disney's even worse.

I'd take Karen Traviss & her Mandalorians over the current stuff any day. For such a politically correct-focused bunch, they decided to exclude Jaina & Mara Jade.

They're going to use the Star Wars name untill everyone gets tired of this shit and it stop making money.
That's how things work these days

I'm not quite sure how you'd do Mara Jade without the rest of the gang in that era, and with the actors all old (and Carrie Fischer now dead), I'm not really sure how you'd pull that off.

as a kid, i loved Star Wars. we had multiple vhs tapes of different cuts of the original trilogy, and some of them got worn down. I bought about two dozen novels of the EU, and even some of the same books on cassette so I could listen to them while doing homework. between that and Star Trek, I knew I would be a sci-fi fan for life.

then the prequel trilogies came out, and I got a little disillusioned with them. the novels weren't losing their allure, but the new films just didn't feel like Star Wars. sure, it added in some backstory and introduced new characters, but it wasn't enough.

then Disney took over and said -all the novels were non-canon-. I remember reading it and being profusely angry because I wanted to be a writer and to see dozens of authors work become suddenly invalidated and regulated to a side-story at the stroke of a pen was infuriating. but I was still hopeful to see new films.

then an article came out claiming that Star Wars was the "ultimate science fiction series", full stop. as I was neck deep into developing my own setting for a science fiction series, that was disheartening because the implication is that nothing I could produce would match up. but instead of giving up, I rattled the spite in my gullet, said "fuck you" to the article and they lost me completely.

and now I've got plans for 24 books in a setting that will hopefully inspire other authors to add their own stories to it, or at least, to create something of their own.

shine on, you crazy diamond.
i hope you reign supreme

>That's how things work these days

What are you going to do about it?

This 110%

Starkiller was indeed a dumber Suncrusher. Even by the space wizard sci-fi standards of Star Wars, it's retarded. The Suncrusher worked by making suns go supernova. They fired special projectiles which did that. No somehow cramming a star's worth of energy into a planet-sized weapon. The Sun Crusher was a secret highly experimental weapon that's been in construction since the Empire's time & had all the resources a secret Empire experiment would have & it was mothballed for various reasons. The Starkiller was constructed by the First Order who somehow magically had the resources to construct a Deathstar x10 despite both not being a dominant power & being smaller than the Empire. Not only that but they've magically kept it a secret from everyone as well.

Also, the Sun Crusher was destroyed. It was sucked into a black hole.

thanks! it's a saturated market right now, but I'm hanging in there!

>then an article came out claiming that Star Wars was the "ultimate science fiction series"
I mean, I love Star Wars but the setting is pretty much just carried by hype at this point. About the only thing the series has going for it is visual style and the soundtrack because the writing certainly isn't good enough to claim top blockbuster spot.

Fucking internet pundits and their shit opinions. People like this is why gatekeeping is a thing at all.

Sadly the CGI part is true. Films like TFA have the balls to have less practical effects & more CGI & they feel the right to say they make returns to practical effects.

>>Suncrusher was just a less dumb Starkiller Base
>Categorically wrong. At least the Base could be fucking destroyed, dumbass.
You're going to have to explain to me how a ship-sized, highly specialized superweapon that was mothballed by the largest Empire to ever exist is more retarded than a Gigastar constructed in secret by the Star Wars equivalent of a backwater dictatorship.

Damn. Not only are you a contrarian, but you're a contrarian with rose-coloured glasses glued to your face.

>and to see dozens of authors work become suddenly invalidated and regulated to a side-story at the stroke of a pen was infuriating.
A+ post, but this right here... see, this is something that a lot of people feel and I don't really get it? like that seems to be the primary complaint a lot of the "old guard" have, that the new canon invalidated the old EU. I'm not necessarily calling you out, it's just something I see get brought up a lot

maybe it's because I come from comic books, where both Marvel and DC have been publishing continuously for like 70 years with a revolving door of authors and creative control. Retcons happen practically daily, sometimes huge ones, sometimes property-wide. DC famously reboots/restructures their continuity pretty regularly, Marvel runs continuously and slaps retcon bandaids as they go, but as a result what's canon and what isn't is a clusterfuck. but that doesn't really have an impact on me, as a fan, you know? like some retcons I think are dumb, some are needed, some I'm just disappointed that this or that loose end will never get resolved, but if you go over to /co/ you're gonna find plenty of discussions of people comparing different versions of the same character, discussing different eras of material... it's all just kind of "how it is."

and honestly Star Wars EU wasn't very different, with its different tiers of canon, newer material retconning older material or contradicting other material...

I guess I just don't see the old EU as being "invalidated" you know? I still read it. I still enjoyed it. Christian Bale's batman didn't invalidate Michael Keaton's batman, right? I'm disappointed some of it will never be followed up on, but at the same time I'd rather have new material than nothing at all, and the EU covered a LOT of ground...

to each their own, of course. I just don't really get the hate, and feel bad that fellow fans are so upset over it.

I never called myself a 'real fan'. I called people who say the current star wars are star wars full of shit. It's clearly something entirely else. Liking it or not is, as you say, another matter, but cutting out half of what made star wars star wars, and stitching something else in it's place AND giving a new name to the old star wars instead of the new ones is bullshit.

Ye, fuck you, recklessly throwing shit at each other from time to time is healthy, and one of the purposes of Veeky Forums

agreed. it was bad timing but they just showed that they hadn't experienced much of the dozens of other series out there.

oh no as a former fan of comics, i understand retconning and floating timelines and all that. it's part of the industry as things get fleshed out.

but in trying to be an author and writer, I had to look at it from a different angle, that of someone who actively contributed to a major franchise. lets say you were one of the first MAJOR writers, and that helped set the tone for the rest of the series. and 15 years go by and its part of your claim to fame that you got to help shape Star Wars. but then a new boss comes in and says "we're ignoring your work and all the work that came after it. your plotlines didn't help shape anything, the character progression you kicked off is null and void." sure its now an "alternate timeline" but for those 15 years, those character arcs you helped kick off were the -actual- character arcs.

its just a shit move to do to the authors after the fact and I dislike it on principal more than anything else. I didn't throw out my old books or even the cassettes despite my stereo breaking 8 years ago. I just...don't see the point in getting into anymore EU because if Disney did it once, they can do it again because they don't like how it turned out anymore.

its not hate. its disappointment.

Because comics don't have actual continuity and that's a state of existence mostly reserved just for comics. It's really rare for large swathes of non-comic IPs to get erased like that. It's also a pretty massive criticism a lot of people have with syndicated characters in the comic industry.

So the Death Star was supposed to be this huge deal, right? Then when they built a second one, it was supposed to be a BIGGER deal. Blowing up a whole planet, in-universe, is groundbreaking and terrifying.

Then the Sun Crusher comes along, and it's smaller (starfighter-sized instead of MOON-SIZED), more effective (blows up entire star systems), but also INDESTRUCTIBLE (it has zero external weaknesses.) but it was just sitting there in palpatine's garage because moons are better until some bratty Jedi kid comes and throws a tantrum with it.

Starkiller is at least a consistent reasonable escalation. It doesn't show up until 30+ years later. It's not self-powered. It's built into a planet instead of being an independent vessel. It hits more targets from longer range, sure (and the way that was handled was retarded) but that's no worse than the Galaxy Gun. It checks all the boxes of "the bad guys tried really hard to make their death machine better than the last one" instead of being a literal mary sue "LOL WHAT IF ITS THE BEST AT EVERYTHING"

see, THAT'S an angle I can understand and relate to a lot better. I think I'm in the same boat in a lot of ways, like yeah it sucks, some of the old stories won't get the endings they really deserved

but idk, for some people that disappointment seems to make them incapable of enjoying any of the new material. but like, for me, it's like losing a beloved pet. yeah, it really sucks. but eventually I'm gonna get a new dog and I'm gonna love that one too. it doesn't replace the old one you know?

I never saw the EU as anything more than fanfiction.

i understand the entertainment part of the analogy but not the pet part. I've had two cats in my life and they're both dead. I do not want more, nor do I want a dog or other pet that would die before I do.

alas, I live in a world where Galapagos Tortoises are not pets.

Loved the first three

Hated the clone trilogy

Iffy on the one where Han is an old man

Rogue One was pretty good... but I would have loved it as a generic non Star Wars Sci-Fi more...

At least TFA had hope.

We've seen all the ships for this movie. They're all shitty or just an existing ship with a shitty alteration.

It's not. In fact, blowing up a planet wasn't worth much as even a Star Destroyer could do a Star Wars-esque Exterminatus. The issue was that the shield systems in-universe could withstand normally planet razing attacks. The shitty shield the Rebels had in EPV alone was enough to deny multiple Star Destroyers the ability to provide any air support or nuke from orbit abilities. A planet like Aldaran would have much superior shielding than that & thus the Death Star pissing in the face of any shield was the greatest scare. No planet is safe no matter how well prepared.

The Sun-Crusher was an experimental project who's mainly strong because of the missiles & shit it fired. It isn't even indestructible as it was indeed destroyed by a black hole in the end. The Death Star was flat out stated in EPIV to be a fearmongering tool, that regional governers will be kept in line out of fear of the Death Star. Not only does the Sun-Crusher rely on special missiles which make a star go supernova through chemistry & thus reliant on a star & its position, it's a crap propaganda tool as it has no control. There is no blowing up planet 5 without blowing up the rest in the solar system. It's an uncontrollable experimental weapon who doesn't serve purposed like the Death Stars would.

The Starkiller is far from reasonable. The First Order of all people made it. This isn't the equivalent of a Nazi superweapon. This is like a post-WWII or Cold War movie where an underground Neo-Nazi group manages to create Super-Nukes who can destroy entire planets. The questions here would be about where they got the resources & how they kept it a secret. It makes no sense that the First Order & not the Galactic Empire did it & especially given how much smaller the First Order is.

It doesn't check any boxes. So not only do these idiots have similar weakness as its predecessors but these weakness are so well known among the crew that a self-proclaimed sanitation worker knows them.

you are the head end, he's the ass end.

settled.

user, you just summarized how I feel about everything I used to love.

>Warhammer Fantasy
>NOPE, AGE OF SIGMAR

>Marvel
>NOPE, CONSTANT EVENTS THAT ARE JUST SOFT REBOOTS, ALSO SHITTY CARTOONS

>DC
>NOPE, CONSTANT EVENTS THAT ARE JUST SOFT REBOOTS, ALSO SHITTY MOVIES

>Star Wars
>NOPE, FORMULAIC MERCHANDISED BULLSHIT AND CRAP REDESIGNS

>Warcraft
>NOPE, SEE DC/WARCRAFT

>Starcraft
>NOPE, SEE WARCRAFT

>Rock, metal, and grunge
>NOPE, RIP, ENJOY YOUR POP HALFBREEDS

>Simpsons
>NOPE, WALKING DEAD

>Cartoons in general
>NOPE, CAL ARTS

>Cyberpunk
>NOPE, HAVE SOME SCAR-JO

>D&D
>Hope you can find a group in this MtG/X-Wing world...

They've forced me to delve into new shit because I have nothing left from my childhood and teenage years that continued and is still enjoyable.

cont.

The Starkiller goes beyond plausibility even for Star Wars. The first two Death Stars with their own charging systems managed to avoid the logistics & implications of nabbing a star. Beyond holding this energy, which doesn't even melt the snow on the thing, the sudden disappearance of a star in a solar system could be catastrophic. Not just the massive cooling abilities needed to even approach a star, the ability to store so much energy but what it means for all the planets in the system. Forget needing to fire a laser, getting rid of a star will kill just about everyone in the solar system anyway. This is like if those underground Neo-Nazi Super-Nukes eat the Earth's core to power it somehow. Why even use them? Powering the thing alone would do the job.

>It's not.

You're wrong.

Star Wars worked because it did the exact same thing John Sturges did; put samurai stories into a different genre.
But Lucas also hybridized it with other things he liked, like race cars (giving those inside shots of the X-Wings) and coming of age stories.

Deep down, Star Wars just rips off existing work but repackages it in a very cool way.

Starkiller makes no sense man. Nothing about how it's made, how the people who made it were able to or anything makes any sense.

This. I keep getting into arguments with Reddit Letter Media faggotas who can not be convinced, in spite of the evidence confirming it beyond a doubt, that the prequels used more practical effects than TFA, and just were duped Disney's "fuck the prequels this is REAL Star Wars" marketing department.

To this day, I don't get how Mike & co can make a "Star Wars Awakens" review which spends more time on Ring Theory & Prequels than Force Awakens while criticizing Rogue One for things Force Awakens does worse.

Didn't say it did make sense. Only that the Sun Crusher is and was WAY more of a bullshit Mary Sue weapon than the Starkiller Base.

Also, if literally the only way to destroy something is by throwing in a black hole - after it sat *inside a fucking SUN* for months - then it still counts as being goddamn indestructible. It's immune to literally every manmade (or alienmade) method of destruction in the SW universe; it's fucking indestructible. To claim otherwise is splitting hairs fine enough to make the autist of all autists here sit back and say "you're going a bit far there, mate."

What killed the Starkiller Base? Some C4 on some support beams and some lasers/proton torpedoes. Requiring a black hole to kill something is not in any way an equivalent level of durability.

>What killed the Starkiller Base? Some C4 on some support beams and some lasers/proton torpedoes.
Which is pretty sad desu. Even the Deathstar needed a pair of torpedos force-pulled directly into the reactor.

I want to honest to god think RLM was bought out by Disney to shill TFA because their marketing knew it would appeal to their cult that spouts how the prequels were nothing but complete irredeemable trash. But more likely it's just they're also nostalgiafags who swallowed the marketing hype, hook, line, and sinker.

If it isn't obvious by now, yes I do hold a grudge against them. I have a chip on my shoulder because of how they poisoned the well so badly when it comes to discussion about the prequel trilogy.

1313 was canceled when Disney bought the rights.

But then your problem isn't about the weapon, it's about the plot.

My point is that the Sun Crusher is thematically inconsistent. It is everything the Death Star wanted to be, but better in every way. And sure it got destroyed by a black hole, but so would anything. The point is you could shoot it WITH a death star and it'd keep flying. It sounds like something a 10 year old kid would write because he wanted his super weapon to be the coolest and bestest. It has no flaws, and that's why it HAD to be flown into a black hole.

Starkiller at least follows some reasonable expectation of technological advancement in the setting. It's ultimately just a more advanced Death Star, and that makes it thematically consistent. I'm not saying it's creative, or even good, and the First Order as a concept is stupid, but that doesn't stop the Sun Crusher from being one of the worse things the old EU shit out.

Here's the problem.

The Resistance is built up to be the Rebellion against the Republic, the shoe now being on the other foot. They are starved for resources and recruits, and rely on conscription and piracy to gather resources.

The original draft concept for Starkiller Base was that the First Order actually salvaged what they could of the wreckage of the first and second Death Stars and managed to get the weapon working again on Endor then upgraded it for one single long-range shot to blow up the Republic fleet and put the two sides on even footing. Kylo Ren's shrine was actually Palpatine's throne room, which had been submerged into a lake.

The problem is that wasn't visually impressive, so they took the same concept and fucking made Starkiller Base without changing the rest of it.

MEANWHILE, you also have the Resistance still being the fucking Rebellion by making them a poorly funded ragtag militia because the entire rest of the galaxy thinks that the First Order is on the verge of collapse and not a threat, and were more concerned about becoming another Empire that they deconstructed their fucking united military in favor of every planet having a federally-funded militia that cannot unite for evil.
Leia couldn't convince everyone they were in a cold war that was about to turn hot.

So both sides are the fucking Rebellion, while the Republic home planet and its sole fleet was blown up by a Death Star 3 that the FO shouldn't have been able to build.
Oh, and all of that info was only found in the fucking books. They cut all scenes dealing with it, to the point that Leia's last ditch effort to get the Republic to do something, the black chick on the platform the camera purposefully pans across, is a literal fucking who.

Also, how many fucking shots did they think Starkiller would have? There were only two suns near it. They put all that investment into a stationary two-shot weapon, and apparently had no evacuation plans.

1313 was actually put on hiatus, there's still hope Disney could restart it for the sole purpose of easy money.

>The problem is that wasn't visually impressive,

I disagree that would have been amazing

>MEANWHILE...

yeah who would have guessed that the toadies of a fascist regime could never be a threat again, so unrealistic

>The Resistance is built up to be the Rebellion against the Republic, the shoe now being on the other foot. They are starved for resources and recruits, and rely on conscription and piracy to gather resources.
>The original draft concept for Starkiller Base was that the First Order actually salvaged what they could of the wreckage of the first and second Death Stars and managed to get the weapon working again on Endor then upgraded it for one single long-range shot to blow up the Republic fleet and put the two sides on even footing. Kylo Ren's shrine was actually Palpatine's throne room, which had been submerged into a lake.
THIS WAS THE ORIGINAL PLAN? IT'S SO FUCKING GOOD.

THIS PLOT IS SO ABSOLUTELY PERFECT.

WHAT THE FUCK

How come Han and Leia were able to walk around inside an asteroid without spacesuits on while experiencing earth-like gravity? How do ships work at ALL in space? Why don't Tatooine's suns cast two shadows?

Physics are moot in Star Wars, so this entire point is meaningless.

What does this even mean? Do you think they burned all mention of the EU material or something? It just isn't canon anymore. If they decide fifteen years from now that some movies aren't canon, those won't be canon anymore either. That's the right of the creator, it is what it is and exposure has literally nothing to do with it.

People who don't like the change can adopt their preferred fanfiction instead, no big deal.

>Also, how many fucking shots did they think Starkiller would have? There were only two suns near it. They put all that investment into a stationary two-shot weapon, and apparently had no evacuation plans.
I don't think it mattered to them. I get the distinct impression that this was supposed to be the galaxy's 9/11 attack. One shot, cripple the infidels, and die with honor.

Here's the thing, now in theory the rest of the galaxy could theoretically unite their militias and completely BTFO the First Order, unless it has a secret second super weapon.
But since Disney coincidentally never bothered to put any of the info about the First Order being poorly funded in the movies, they can just roll along like its still the Rebels VS Empire again.
They didn't say why it was cut, only that it was.

Once they ditched the Endor idea they had a second idea of a planet split in half, one side being snowy and one being a lava planet thanks to the massive heat produced by the superweapon and the final battle between Kylo and Rey would take place with a shot with Rey standing on the blue snow side and Kylo on the red lava side.

Also, Kylo would have a double sided lightsaber with one side blue and one red which would be cut in half leaving him with just the red part.

Thankfully those ideas were cut.

The Sun Crusher is an experimental device who was locked away for many reasons. It's like the gyrojet guns if they did more damage but still had their many flaws.

Considering the massive logistics involved in the Starkiller, I'd take the Sun Crusher. As mentioned, even the way it works relies more on the star itself's chemicals than swallowing the star & the firing its energy.

It isn't even indestructible. The thing fought against a prototype Death Star. The Sun Crusher itself took some damage from a glancing shot from said prototype. Said shot was from a super-laser that's not even Death Star 1.0 levels of strong. The thing's got the output but I doubt it'd last in a 1vs1 with a real Death Star.

That actually undershoots how much it took but it still ends up being dumb because it's below what it took for some of the others. The first Death Star took a precise shot from a Force-using pilot & its shown that the targeting computers aren't good enough. The second one wasn't even fully complete & it needed its shield generator down.

>Droids blowing people the fuck up are also fun
It is a good time to run a Droid Army...

Uhm, star wars has ALWAYS been super popular even outside nerd circles

>The original draft concept for Starkiller Base was that the First Order actually salvaged what they could of the wreckage of the first and second Death Stars and managed to get the weapon working again on Endor then upgraded it for one single long-range shot to blow up the Republic fleet and put the two sides on even footing.

That sounds great, calls back to the previous films, and makes a lot of sense. How do you mess up this bad? Also wiping out a massive fleet can be just as visually impressive as a planet being destroyed.

The reasons behind its creation & its implications on the galaxy are related to it. It's like if Luke pulled out a super lightsaber that had infinite heat & was the size of a house. It'd be nonsense.

It wasn't even shot with a Death Star, it took a glancing hit from an equally mothballed prototype Death Star & it took damage.

It's not a reasonable expectation at all. Citing the above example of a post-WWII Neo-Nazi Super-Nuke, it'd be that. Where does this smaller organization get its resources from?

Who's idiot idea was it for Phasma to just be a punch line?

They merchandised the hell out of her, built her up as a feminist victory, and got a massively popular massive actress.

Who fucked up so badly?

>two female leads in eight movies

Yeah, totally shoving "le epic girlz power" down your throat there.

Check the in-universe explanations. Not only is the Starkiller a hundred times worse, they had explained crap. The old EU had tons of explanations & backstories for the most minor of background characters who showed up for a single shot in ANH's cantina scene.

Apparently she's coming back in the next Ep. but I frankly don't trust Disney to not fuck her up again.

It would have been as simple as having her be the Spin Trooper who confronted Finn, but apparently the execs are too stupid to even do that.

So what you're saying is that instead of an interestingly crafted story with nuance, Disney cut out all context and explanation to make a nonsensical soft reboot of A New Hope? I'm actually even more annoyed now as watching the movie had me thinking wtf why is anyone following the First Order and why do they exist. More importantly who the fuck are The Resistance and why are they resisting if the First Order is on the run? Can't the movie explain? But it didn't

Would have been much more interesting if Finn was an iron fisted stoic authoritarian forced by circumstances to work with the rest of the cast after being captured, a man programmed to love the First Order who becomes mellow maybe from seeing their failures and falling in love with Rey. Instead we get le ebin comic relief who is now also gay or some shit because tumblr

Compared to the mess of now, it's far better. Who's the genius who came up with this plan? He/she deserves a pat on the back & an honorable mention for his/her superior idea being ditched.

They did wipe out a massive fleet. If you look at the Republic capital, there's a shitload of capital ships that are only there for a second. In theory the rest of their fleet is in mothball or something.

The problem is that literally the only info you have about the shot is in the Nazi Weasley's speech. You have to actually be paying attention to hear that its the Republic capital, but you have no clue about the importance otherwise or what the other planets were.

You don't know about how the senate was so sick of Leia's constant sabre rattling getting in the way of forming a permanent armistice with the First Order that they sent multiple assassins to attack the Resistance, you don't know that Kylo has been building a new order because the Sith are extinct by gathering literally any Force-user relic and rewriting history about it like the Nazis or that his lightsaber and mask are both designed to look like the canon Darth Revan's.

ALL of it is in books, and the movie doesn't bother with context and the script changes don't even support it at all.

>Two female leads in the two most recent movies
You're also forgetting that it's not so much what you do but how you do it. You can simply have a female lead, or you can have a female lead and totally push how she's equal to or better than the men and totally a special snowflake and a strong independent womyn who don't need no man. Western cinema has been doing the latter a lot.

She was an enormously wasted character. I'm surprised the feminists aren't offended by how her greatest role is being made to lower the Starkiller's shields at gunpoint. That or being shoved into the garbage chute after. The girl's literally in the same place they put the trash.