Is nature magic a separate force from divine magic in your setting? If so or if not, why?

Is nature magic a separate force from divine magic in your setting? If so or if not, why?

I know it's kind of a meme nowadays, but I say that priest classes like druids and clerics can draw from gods, forces, or philosophies. I run AD&D 2e and the priests' handbook has a section devoted to the difference between the three.

Now to answer your question, I treat divine magic as magic from the gods, whereas Nature acts as a force, which druids and rangers draw from.

Technically, although the reasons for it are due to the main dividing lines between the two major types of magic in the world.

The type of magic a priest would use is soul magic, utilizing energy channeled through the prayers of the faithful and granted by their patron god.

The type of magic a shaman would use is body magic, which is powered by the mystical ashes of a primordial goddess that are spread throughout every living thing. Through fine manipulation of these, one could cause plants to grow at increased rates, turn oneself into a different form, or communicate directly with the mind of an animal or beast and tame it, or cause various other effects one would expect from a user of nature magic.

Nature magic amplifies natural phenomenon. Divine magic subverts reality and probability (miracles).

Yes actually.
I could bullshit to you all day about why in the setting the distinction makes sense, but the reason is "Because it's a different fucking theme"

Ever since St. Patrick drove the "snakes" out of Ireland, devout practicing clergy men induged in scripture of a lord beyond all physical law vs. hidden archetypal amplifications of natural phenomena invoked via ritual appeasement of the phenomena, were so diametrically opposed In Real Life, that the latter can't even be classified as legitimate religion anymore by most religion's standards.

Divine vs Primal/Natural distinction is essentially an Abrahamic vs Pagan distinction, but it's one that suffuses our culture to the point that you might as well make use of it, you know?

Also, it boils down to the fact that --thanks to that cultural distinction-- Druids and Rangers are going to want to talk to animals and trees more than a sky-daddy, even if there is a sky-daddy of animals and trees. And having a kind of pseduo-religous magic that isn't under the sway of a sentient and potentially fickle being that is beyond most mortal understanding...

Can you imagine how shitty and annoying it would be that if everytime a Druid wanted to Call Lightning they had to be on Zeus's good side, with the intensity that a Paladin swears fealty to divinity?

In my homebrew, nature is a force to be invoked, just like a god, process (such as a waterfall, other spells being cast, or a decaying demon lord carcass), or emotion.

It is closer to a process, all that buzzing, running, climbing, hopping, eating, killing, and fucking add up to some serious energy release that druids and such can tap into. Even the slow growth of trees and other plants gives off energy that druids can use, or store in standing stones and "Druid's Halos."

Ish. The people in the setting treat them as differently as night and day, but the two are all but the same mechanically and for a good in-game reason. Both are way different from sorcery.

I should add that most of the gods of my world are captive, sleeping or otherwise unreachable in terms of real communication. You invoke their power, not their desires, but that power flows best to those that share their interests.
The gods that do interact are mostly dicks. There's a Sleeping God of death, but an active lesser god named Narghast who pursues a real agenda. Thus the distinction between Nature and Divine. Nature is largely unaware that it is providing power.

Nature is governed by spirits that are native to the setting's continent, whereas divine beings are not originally from the continent but migrated to the continent after natural phenomena was established. Since deities don't have any need for food or space they have very little interaction with nature, but shamans do worship both the spirits and gods as two separate but useful sources of power. Normal clerics have no access to nature magic because their gods never learned how nature works, but clerics are expected to give spirits the same respect they would the gods, since the two groups are equal in status. Nature magic manipulates existing life, divine magic manipulates reality defining rules.

My setting have Gaia as the nature goddess, Adam as the divine god (with saints filling the default role of other settings gods) , and Lucy as the arcane "god".

>Adam as the divine god
You know Adam literally means human right?

What better name for the god of man?

Well shit, that's pretty damn good

Sure is.
Naturalism pulls power from the world itself, Faith pulls power from the gods. They're completely separate, the gods don't even share any blood with the being that created the world.

The Universe is the body of the Over-God which is in a state of comatose. The other gods are pieces of him that broke off during the process of creation.

Nature magic is using rituals to "poke" the body to get the reaction you want.

Divine magic is asking for power from one of the awake gods.

The awake gods aren't aware of the Over-God either

>Divine magic subverts reality

I think you mean creates and sustains reality, heathen.

>I run AD&D 2e
My brother from another mother. Of all the games I've played, in all their editions, we always seem to come back to 2e AD&D. It's like a comfy chair for us.
>inb4 edition wars faggotry

Both are divine, as opposed to arcane, magic, but the source is different. Clerics and paladins get their magic from their gods. Every time they cast a spell, they pray for their god to grant them a miracle and the god does that, assuming they haven't done something to piss the god off. Druids get their magic from the power inherent in nature itself, channeling it rather than asking for a deity to lend power to them.

Actually they're more similar than their users might think, as the divine magic of "nature" actually comes from the outer god Shub-Niggurath, the primal embodiment of Life. Most druids are unaware of this.

Yes. There's elemental magic that is not linked to anything but personal ability and there's divine magic linked to particular deity's power and favour.

However Temple of the One believe that elemental magic is also divine magic sent by the one true god.

>Most druids are unaware of this
I'm curious about the druids that are aware.

Kinda? Nature magic is tapping into the roots of reality and using it to make an effect on the natural world. Traditionally, "Divine" magic is simply that which is granted to an individual by an Ascendant or Uplifted class God, who in turn gain thier power from consuming one of the Fruits of Creation, which is much more highly concentrated than the magic found in the Roots of Reality. Further, Nature magic and its users are heavily observed and regulated by the Daevas of Life and Death, while the Gods and divine magic are regulated by the Daevas of Order and Dreams

Sort of. It's a different technique and it doesn't work quite the same way, but it's all powered by magical forces that flow through the world

Nature magic is divine. Divine magic is power channeled or from those with the blood of spirits. Gods are the biggest spirits. "Nature magic" is just magic in line with nature spirits.