Is it at all possible for Imperial Guard/Storm troopers to field power armor? Like a single squad or something?

Is it at all possible for Imperial Guard/Storm troopers to field power armor? Like a single squad or something?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/AT29OGk_Byc?t=18s
youtu.be/Qr_BwnWfoi4?t=30s
youtube.com/watch?v=Qr_BwnWfoi4&feature=youtu.be&t=30s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

nope, that's strictly for space marines, sisters of battle, tech priests , Inquisition, custodes, etc.

Basically everyone but Imperial Guard and Storm Troopers really.

Wait teck priests have power armor?

Yes.

All those are minor forces aside from the AdMech.
AdMech soldiers don't mostly don't sport power armor, only the ordinated members do.

Fluff wise, it wouldn't be all that strange for an influential officer to get a hold of a couple of suits for his special platoon, for example for one, very important in and out mission or something along the lines.

But in general no, Power Armor is expensive as fuck, while Guardsmen are more often than not considered expendable.

this is what I wanted to know, thank you.

A fucking rich officer could probably outfit his bodyguard with them. But he needs some very strong admech allies to pull that shit off.

OP said even a single squad for IG, so I felt it prudent to mention anyone with access to power armor, hell there are probably more techpriests with power armor alone than all the space marines combined (not just techmarines, literally all marines) since you have to think that most IG mechanized regiments will have at least a few running around and there are tens of thousands of regiments across the Imperium at any given time, and that's not counting tech priests in the titan legions, Imperial Navy, and some civilian stations.

And to be fair literally every other branch in the Imperium could be considered a minor force compared to the sheer bulk of the Imperial Guard, only the Imperial Navy and Admech come remotely close to the absolutely stupid number of Imperial Guard troops mobilized at any given moment in the Galaxy. I don't really get how that disqualifies what I said though, even if those are minor forces they still have power armor therefore they still count.

Yes, it would be strange. Power armor rated for regular Joe schmoes is very rare, usually only in the possession of the Sisters of Battle and Inquisition. Even lord generals and Castellan Creed only wear Carapace at best. Usually if you're important you'll get a refractor field or rosarius and that's it. There hasn't been mention of guard personnel with power armor since probably 2nd edition or even rogue trader.

That's literally the point of IG after all, they're the army without power armor. If they had power armor in any capacity then what would be the point of space marines? Even their special ops Stormtrooper only get Carapace.

There's light power armor for some elite admech related forces in the RPGs

Also, remember:

>40k fact: power armor is extremely expensive, in production, in maintenance, and requires specialized personnel to on all stages of production and maitnance.

>40k fact: human life is Imperium's greatest and therefore least valuable commodity.

you do the math

What if the sister of battle died and one of the women of IG decided to wear her armour, with the intention to return it once the war is over.

wouldn't have the training to properly use it for one, let alone put it on. If it's like space marine armor you also need a neural interface to get it to work.

Also, knowing how the Imperium works, she'd probably be executed for theft for Ministorum property.

No. Most Inquisitors have a personal suit and consider themselves lucky, mayyyyybe a lord inquisitor might be able to get half a dozen suits but someone with that much influence will just call in some actual marines. Ministorum can afford to outfit SoBs with inferior power armour due to being rich from being a state religion and techpriests dont so much wear power armour as they are power armour.

In the Novel Fire Caste you have a group guardmen with some nobles in powered armour, I pictured them like old world diver suit with .50cals strapped to one arm and a buzz saw on the other.

they maintained their armour with their dosh and they formed a sort of posh fire support company for the guard, getting split up as needed. Moe like centurions now that I think about it.

How do you idiots forget that Rogue Traders can get power armor as well? The issue isn't that certain groups are only allowed to wear power armor it's whoever could afford it.

If a Lord General was rolling in RT level money then he could presumably buy power armor from himself and a select few individuals of his group but trying to outfit an enitre regiment is stupid because it would be vastly more expensive and a waste. The Imperial Guard have bodies to throw at problems, The Sisters and Marines don't.

powered exo with extra strong carapace armour would be ideal for storm troopers carrying heavy weapons.

>Is it at all possible for Imperial Guard/Storm troopers to field power armor?

Its kinda unfluffy lorewise, but just do it anyway.

>An IG patrol somehow find an intact STC in what appear to be somekind of pre-dark age datavault.

>It contain a power suit schematic, by the specification it seems that it was meant to be cheaply massproduced and easily operated by normal humans, kinda shit compared to Astartes one thought.

>After been inspected and debated for several years, the magos council decide to give it a try on some selected IG veterans squads, functioned as highly mobile heavy infantry and assault corps.

>The result was satisfiying.

>It was then distributed to every IG regiments, fitted into selected veterans and grenadier infantries.

>And thus the mobile infantry squadron was born.

One of the first horus heresy novels encounters a human empire which has power armor but no genetic mods like space marines. So basically just normal guys in power armor. They get raped by real marines but the tech exists.

>Is it at all possible for Imperial Guard/Storm troopers to field power armor?
You don't need Power Armor, Guardsman, YOU'VE GOT THE SENTINEL!

>>And thus the mobile infantry squadron was born.
ON THE BOUNCE!

You'd need the proper interface implants on your body probably.

It isn't even that expensive. Numerous dark age successors could make them, including the medieval people of Caliban.

The real question is: why bother? Most imperial guardsmen are already augmented well beyond human limits (krieg, Cadians, catachans, scions, etc) and in overwhelming numbers. Nit only that, but kataphron and other battle servitors are both cheaper and more effective than people in power armor.

>AT43 will never receive another manufacturing run

In HH militia can take abhuman helots and survivor of dark age for a sweet T4 Power armored (3+)granadiers,how would you like to represent em?

So their pa is essentially sentinals?

According to the RPG, human-scale power armor doesn't require implants.

Go read Peter Fehervari's Fire Caste.

>He saw Captain Machen stomping onto the deck at the head of his command squad. In his Thundersuit the man looked like a vast iron crab that had reared up to walk on its hind legs. Under its elegantly moulded carapace the suit was an industrial masterwork of spinning cogs and pistons that clattered and hissed in perfect harmony, almost drowning out the stirring chords of 'Providence Endures' booming from its brass shoulder speakers. A heavy stubber was fixed to one ironclad paw, the ammo belt coiling into a fluted dispenser on the back, while the other ended in a massive drill inscribed with the 'Testament of the Founding Fathers'. The captain's crew-cut head was visible though the thick glass porthole of his baroque helmet. He was still wearing his wide-brimmed officer's hat and there was a fat cigarillo rammed between his jaws, but even he wasn't crazy enough to light it in there.
>Roach wasn't impressed by the spectacle. The antique fighting suit was a legacy of Old Providence, a cherished heirloom passed down generations of the captain's blueblood family. Sure, there was no denying its toughness -- after all, the thing was closer to a tank than a suit of regular power armour -- but it was unpredictable and hideously difficult to maintain -- not to mention noisy as all the Hells! To the scout's way of thinking such relics were more effective as status symbols than practical tools of war.

With guardsman being as expendable as they are, giving them fancy gear tends to clash with the sense of them being expendable. Even Scions and Inquisition Stormtroopers are considered expendable, and even the SoBs as well. Marines get around it by having 1000 man "limits" and by being one big family across chapters. They don't have the culture of expendability like the others.
Guardsman in power armor feels like fanwank. >Muh dudes and all.
Small (max 4m tall) mechs are better for the guard and can be fluffed as sentinels.

Am I the only one who thinks Drop Sentinels are the coolest shit in the Imperial Guard? Drop regiments are, in general, best regiments.

Anyway. I'm basing my objection to guardsman powerarmor mainly on the way it makes them feel like personal favorites (muh dudes) of the GM, to the point of them being snowflakes.
Whereas with a mechanical suit like from what I quoted, and from VOTOMS, you'll typically see one of the chassis outlive multiple drivers. The chassis itself becomes the living entity, because it's more of a vehicle than a second-skin like traditional power armor.

Also because power armor can be more subtle like the Raven Guard uses it, whereas the guard is not subtle at all. Being subtle is practically anathema to their method of winning battles. So, if they're going to be packing special armored suits, they should have various reasons they cannot ever be subtle at all.
Otherwise you've got "guardsmen" in name only, because they behave much more like Space Marines.

>Am I the only one who thinks Drop Sentinels are the coolest shit in the Imperial Guard?
Honestly I love Chicken Walkers in general, so Sentinels are a no-brainer...

Only thing that really bugs me is that the single Weapon is mounted on the side, screwing up the SYMMETRY!
Seriously, can we get a chin mount mold?

>Drop regiments are, in general, best regiments.
For the game, yes, but in the fluff they usually just end up dying horribly...

Sure, but it'd be prohibitively expensive. Guardsmen and Stormtroopers are almost never important enough to warrant the cost; one of their greatest assets to the Imperium is their disposability. Most likely if they found some way to get it they wouldn't even be Guardsmen anymore, but the personal retinue of a Rogue Trader or Inquisitor.
Or ranking Gue'vesa, I guess.

dumping my retarded idea of walking heavy weapons team
>armoured babby sentinel

Already exists. Learn your lore.
I would rather have youtu.be/AT29OGk_Byc?t=18s
A gun on a walking tripod, with a gunshield or otherwise. At the point where we've merged that concept into a human body, we may as well just stat it as a servitor with a heavy bolter/stubber and claim the difference in appearance is something to do with the forge world/planet it came from.
Whereas a walking tripod could be counted as its own unit, much like a smaller version of the Thunderfire Cannon.

Sisters power armor doesn't use bioimplants to work, it's strictly a suit of armor.

It's an extremely advanced suit of armor, but it's not neurolinked to the user like Astartes armor is unless an individual has, on their own time and dime, gone through a procedure to get such implants put in their body.

I know gun-servitors exist, the illustration was more to show the rough idea of what I was aiming for, armoured walking weapons platform, with a guardsman holding onto the back of it while it plods along (like an armoured STAP with legs)

Consider improving your picture reference then. The left image doesn't show the guardsman legs, while the right image clearly shows the gun platform and the operator merged into one entity.

Also, what your talking about exists.
youtu.be/Qr_BwnWfoi4?t=30s

Yeah, why not. It's your dudes. Find an allied contingent from another imperial army that makes sense (like maybe sisters,) and model them as imperial guard with experimental power armor

Probably an uncomfortable ride. Why not put the rider in a saddle instead of making them cling to the back?
More protection, sure, but it would be an uncomfortable ride, bucking up and down while trying to hold on. Attaching to it with a harness is probably not a good idea due to slow dismounts.

>experimental power armor
>experimental
Your word choice implies that you think the setting is something where new designs can be built, and technology improves, when the opposite is in fact true.
The only reason the Imperium has some improved tech that Chaos doesn't, is because they've found old STCs or blueprints lying around. Those aren't experimental designs. Those are lost technology.

>relic power armor
>heirloom power exoskeleton
>world-specific counts-as Sentinel that's humanoid
Any of these are more in keeping with the setting.

not sure the imperium has an OSHA department, nor does ergonomics translate well into low & high gothic

If the goal is to have someone ride the walker, it needs to be preferable to actually ride the walker instead of taping the "forward" button down and just walking along side it, then mount it and untap the button when the shooting starts.
See again: youtube.com/watch?v=Qr_BwnWfoi4&feature=youtu.be&t=30s
>run alongside until you need to shoot, then grab the gun and shoot

>but it's the Imperium and things don't need to make sense
But we're talking about Infantry, who are going to make things suck as little as possible. If riding the walker sucks, they're doing to walk along side.
>what if it runs fast
Then the ride is even worse everyone hates to use them, which leads to them getting "abandoned"
Plus we're getting even closer to Sentinel territory the faster they get. I'm assuming the reason to run these things is to have a mid-range option between heavy weapons teams and sentinels. More mobile than a heavy weapons team, but less costly than a Sentinel.

What I'm trying to get at, user, is that it's cool to have an idea, but if the idea has people questioning it, it implies the idea needs some modifications.

>You can't make your dudes the way you want In a kitchen-sink metal-album cover setting that comically combines fantasy with Judge-Dredd dystopian satire, and doesn't even bother to be consistent with itself.

Stop taking a joke setting seriously.... or don't.... it's not my place to tell you how to have fun, and neither is it yours to tell OP.

I'm not sure how you intend to treat experimental power armor as a joke. Maybe if we're talking something like Apocalypse Zero, but at that point we're just talking about counts-as Superpowers, a la Tony Stark.

>any setting that doesn't let me do anything I want is a joke setting

Well, actually I can appraise along the lines of "how does this compare to the official treatment and tone of the setting" and judge from there.
If you want to run a Godbound game in the 40k setting, that's neat. But at least be honest that you're not pretending to being playing 40k.
If you attempted that in DH or OW, I don't even know what to tell you. It's like "social intrigue" games in 3.X/PF systems. Why? It's just a wrench to pound in a nail.

It doesn't HAVE to be a joke, it can just be fun without getting your panties in a bunch about continuity and setting-truth in a joke setting, though if you NEED a joke/reference, then make the power-armor OBVIOUSLY a Not!Rpley in Not!ConstructionSuit. Count them as Ogryn.

Reading comphension. I said that 40k IS a joke setting, and therefore I, or anyone else, should be able to do anything they want, because only 14 year olds and autists take the setting with any shred of seriousness.

Yes you can. Making "Your Dudes" the way you want them overrides all other considerations.

>it doesn't have to be a joke but it can be
This is a change from your previous statement that everything in the setting is a joke.
It sounds like you've dismissed your earlier claim about jokes, and we're now back to discussing a serious game.

In which case the standing counterarguments that "it doesn't fit the setting/there are better ways to do it in-setting" still applies.

"Your dudes" is an awful meme. I personally am glad the Dark Imperium narrative is doing away with it.

> I'm assuming the reason to run these things is to have a mid-range option between heavy weapons teams and sentinels.
yeah, I kind of imagined these things just about keeping pace with an infantry assault, but not full on sentinel sprinting.

it'd basicly just be a pair of mech legs with some gyro stabilisation, a heavy weapon mount, and some frontal armour plates, keeping it as low tech and resource cheap as you can, aside from making it walk for the imperiums inconsistent usage of technologies.

This isn't even good shitposting lads. You're not even trying to trick me into any false beliefs.

How so? The Ultima Founding was invented for no other reason than to encourage the creation of Your Primaris Dudes.

>hey remember how you had those dudes for decades?
>yeah, now there are better dudes who replace your dudes. Buy them today.

>This is a change from your previous statement that everything in the setting is a joke.
No, I said the setting itself, is a joke, and so arguments about continuity, canon, and telling people why they can't make Their Dudes the way they want them don't hold much weight.

>It sounds like you've dismissed your earlier claim about jokes, and we're now back to discussing a serious game.

Nice false binary attempt, but no. 40k is absolutely a joke setting. This doesn't mean that every single army every modeled and made has to be a joke: it means that someone's robo-dino-squiggoth army that counts-as imperial knights is jut as legitimate as someone else's super serious edgy space Fascists

if she died clearly the armour failed.
So yeah wear the armour with the huge gaping plasma hole and the ruptured power pack

squats you nerd

You're still saying that non-jokes are fine in an otherwise joke setting. Attempts to be serious imply that there is something to be serious around. It implies that non-joke discussion may be had.

>implying super serious edgy space Fascists aren't a joke
:thinking:

Oh, silly me! I get it now. Really, I should've noticed sooner. I blame myself, I really do.

god you senpai

What's more interesting is that you've only identified a single post in the last 20 as being bait.

You scanned my last 20 days of posting really quickly.

that's just a admech sentinel
i want stumpy little armoured babby sentinels

Investing in a few HTML classes was my second best financial decision after investing in MtG.

how about this

You need to invest harder, then, because you missed a bunch.

I always thought to do an Ogryn Squad refuffed as a sort of "Exo-Suit" guardsmen squad.

Not necessarily Power Armor, but something that helps augment human strength.

see That's exactly what they are.

You need trainign and cybernetic implants to use even basic power armor. An average guardsmen couldnt just pick it up.

The Imperium would never allow it either, because only 100% "loyal" Imperial servants are given it. Guardsmen loyalties are too suspect, and they look the other way with space marines because they have to.

Isn't there something like that in HH although without legs but on tracks?

HH?
no
isn't that just the kataphon

I dunno, aren't some Leman Russ tanks or Baneblade variants just thrown together based off of what the regiments had on hand, only to later be officially recognized by the mechanicus as "probably not heretical but we'll keep an eye on it"?

>Attempts to be serious imply that there is something to be serious around. It implies that non-joke discussion may be had.
But it does mean that telling someone that they can't put their IG in power armor because "muh continuity" as here and is silly

Some elite and/or high ranking Imperial Guard are granted the honour of Power Armour, but it's rare.

- Source: Only War

They are the power armor. Or at least it is part of them.

Allow Power Armour requires a Mind Impulse Unit (MIU), unless it is -really- shitty, according to the RPG.

>It contain a power suit schematic, by the specification it seems that it was meant to be cheaply mass produced and easily operated

Don't forget reliability, it'd have to have reliability in the field for it to be considered. Also rechargeable. I'd imagine it wouldn't hurt to take a carapace armor and slap servos on the limbs and call it a day. Hell, and it uses a generator in the back that is shared with the hot-shot guns. Anything bulkier would be impractical or could be put into use for vehicles.

>is because they've found old STCs or blueprints lying around.

Unless of course someone makes new technology and lies through their teeth that it's new.

>implying anyone knows how to both do this, and do it while making it safe enough that no one ever makes an inquiry into it
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, or that it's impossible to get away with, but it's still something that I as a GM would be very careful with doing.

If, as the thread OP implies, we're dealing with the Guard, I would consider equal to the question of "can he hide it from the Inquisition?" Most generals can't do that unless they're remote and irrelevant. Anyone big enough could just request an honor guard from the Scions, SoBs, Inquisition, or even Marines if they're deemed that important.
An Inquisitor with power armored guards is a-okay however.

>DH yes, OW no.

Don't remind me. I still have no idea what ever happened to the IP, but god damn I loved that game. Got me back into warming after an almost t year hiatus.

Note: influential means really really influential. Like you are going to be running a crusade and probably have access to some of the other more conventional power armoured troops.

nah, still too big.
original idea was that it was just a heavy weapons team, but instead of a tripod, it was Centurion sized legs that could fire on the move to keep up with infantry

>pic unrelated

fug

Do you know any recaster doing kasrkin?

>Power armor
No. Its too expensive, maintenance and logistics would be a nightmare. Its actually more effective to just throw unarmored guardsmen at a problem until it goes away

>Carapace armor
Yes, perhaps if you got some really Veeky Forums guardsmen and decked them out in heavy armor that could be a thing

These are so fuggen nice, I don't play guard but Ive nabbed a few on eBay just to paint

>heavy weapons team on mechanized legs that lets it keep up with infantry

you mean maybe
like kind of a
FUCKING SENTINAL?

Read Fire Caste.

The (rich officers of the) Confederates use weird steampunk power armour that plays patriotic music.

thats very much the equivilant of a company or regimental commander though

Read:
Fire caste portrayed the planet as a dumping ground for misfit units, there was also qa unit of jump capable Sentinels.

>I pictured them like old world diver suit with .50cals strapped to one arm and a buzz saw on the other

Flamers as well, basically the Command squads were in the power armor.

I could see Horus Heresy era Imperial Army doing it, but not modern Imperial Guard.

>NO HELMET

>Most Inquisitors have a personal suit and consider themselves lucky, mayyyyybe a lord inquisitor might be able to get half a dozen suits
That's not really how it works
Inquisitors can get pretty much anything if they want to , but if they're doing a covert operation power armor is pretty useless and if they do need power armor most of them prefer to also get space marines inside the armor.

yep, like the stormlord being a field modified shadowsword where they rip out the super complicated volcano cannon and replace it with a fugg of arty cannon.

or the thunderer... which is the same thing but for the destroyer tank hunter instead of the shadowsword.