Would you play a game set in the world of Dragon Ball?

Would you play a game set in the world of Dragon Ball?

A coworker of mine is. It took a brief hiatus as their GM got deployed, but he should be coming back soon and from the stories he's told me it sounds hilarious.

Personally though no, as I never got into DBZ as a kid and really can't get into it as an adult.

How do they handle the dragon balls?

I would play a DBZ styled game, but I don't think I would like to play in the setting itself

Only if we stay pre-Z power levels.

dragon ball is waaaaay different from dragon ball z

the premise is completely different. In dbz is basically "Goku's friends stall the bbeg with their lives until he gets mad enough to save the world by punching the BBEG" over and over again

dragon ball is about a group of young people, each with different abilities that make the group stronger, questing for ancient magical artifacts scattered throughout the land. it's prime fodder for a unique ttrpg

I would play a Dragon Ball game, would be real fun.

>Playing in established setting current year
The reasons you like the setting is that its creator and producer crafted it and presented it to you in a certain way. On the tabletop all the factors that went into it but names and bastardizations of concepts with autistic implementation of over focus on kinda pointless bits, star wars for example had light sabers and the force which in the media were just fucking plot now they have a million rules and every scene in the movies contradict these, so you would be playing a shallow shell of the thing you enjoyed unless you're the kinda shallow person who gets off by saying you're lukes great great great grand son and beating up teh evil guys.

That's assuming you're playing a shitty Official RPG, and not playing with a group of friends who love the setting as much as you and play up the stuff that appealed to you. Or you could just steal all the cool bits from several media and make your own setting.

Dragonball sure, as long as it never progresses to any of the space and alien shit or all the bullshit evil gods of the multiverse.

Isn't Fate built to have a light mechanic based combat that would help with this?

You mean Pre-Z? Hell, yeah. Fun as fuck. Crazy martial artists and monsters and shit all over the place. Sounds great.

I hate how much of a lazy hack Toriyama is, when Z comes around he gets rid of all the non-supporting cast beast and monster people that also made up Earthlings, leaving them as generic humans only.

And the way he phased out tails on saiyans again out of no reason but laziness.

There's plenty of rules-light or generic systems that would work for whatever setting you have in mind, but user is right. Trying to reduce a setting to number-crunching in the name of accuracy is stupid.

As long as it takes place in an AU where the primary storyline does not happen.

Geekdom101 once described Toriyama as "the opposite of Tolkien". If a single character throughout the Lord of the Rings trilogy is even mentioned by name once, you can bet your ass that somewhere throughout Tolkien's bibliography he has an incredibly detailed backstory. Toriyama on the other hand introduces and drops plot elements without ever elaborating on them.

This makes Dragonball a pretty bad setting out of the box, but a creative DM can fill the gaps. Personally I can only think of a handful of interesting plot points in the world of Dragonball that don't involve you directly controlling Goku & Co.
1. Early Dragonball. Before Goku shows up and utterly wrecks them, the Red Ribbon Army is starting shit. You play a bunch of martial artists from earth in varying degrees of furryness trying to resist them. Do well and you might kick their asses before Goku shows up!
2. IN SPAAAAAAAAAACE. Frieza's empire before Goku shows up. Try not to get GINYU'D, or alternatively fight for Frieza's side. Or maybe it takes place somewhere between the end of the Namek saga and Fukkatsu no F, with the entire empire in disarray, rebelling planets trying to gain independence and factions within the Frieza Army vying for power. Who knows, maybe you and your mates can end up running the whole show instead of that faggot Sorbet.

Alternatively you just throw up your hands, yell "FUCK IT" and play a Pride Trooper campaign in U11 because we all know U11 will never be fleshed out beyond "Jiren stronk!". Even all the Pride Troopers except Jiren and Toppo were utterly underwhelming. I can't believe I was actually hype for the Tournament of Power and especially U11 after seeing Goku and Toppo go toe to toe.

You could also not include any characters from the series and just have your own villains for the party to face.
With things like Demons, Aliens, and Robots/Androids/Mechs and mythical objects like Black Water Mist, Senzu Beans, Blood Rubies, and whatever random weapons there is plenty of stuff to pull from to make your own threats to the party.

It is really a kitchen sink setting you can add anything and justify it.

You probably don't. Alternatively depending on when you set the game Shenron does have limits on his wish(s).

Finding the Dragonballs takes you all over the world, so unless the party has access to insane wealth like Bulma did from her family it would crazy hard. Plus you wouldn't have a Dragon Radar since only 1 person knew how to make it.

>Being hyped for Super
You are a bad person and you deserve every disappointment.

To be fair, the art got a big upgrade for the Tournament of Power and the marketing was crazy. For a moment I actually believed that Toei and Toriyama were finally putting effort into Super. Now instead of shitty animation we have recycled animation. It's an improvement I guess?

If you kept it pre-Z then 'Techie' would be an acceptable theme for a PC in addition to martial artist.

Now obviously that sounds more of a support position in the party or important for facilitating the party's adventures in terms of gear/transport and it would be, but they could also have high tech weapons they've geniused together and even stuff like the robot suits or capsule planes meaning they could help out in combat against real threats too.

The only place they might seem sidelined is if the party takes part in a martial arts tournament, but even they they could work on stuff/plans to help their friends fight at their full potential or snoop behind the scenes for plot while everyone is focused on the fight.

A mechanic PC would mesh well with an Android PC too, like Eighter.

Everything that's been added to the franchise by Super is so pointless, its just GT all over again. Should have left the series in its grave being constantly milked only through videogames and other shit.

Delicately, user. Delicately.

Dragon Ball... yeah, probably, unless I knew the GM really had a hardon for Journey to the West.

Dragon Ball Z, not unless it's the DBZ Abridged universe, which cuts out most of the crap and makes the rest make sense.

Like playing as a student of the shapeshifting school Puar and Oolong went to, that's different than just dying your hair and shooting ever larger energy blasts.

Remember Battle Jackets? The Pilaf gang and Captain Black just popped those things out of capsules and went "Yep, 12 foot tall mechs with lasers, machine guns and flamethrowers are just a common everyday thing in this world". And then they never appeared again except for that filler episode where Bulma uses one to fight a giant namekian crab.

I'd love to play a game as a little dog man or whatever who goes all Tony Stark with a power armour collection sitting in his notebook sized capsule case.

Yeah the Pilaf Machines and Battle Jackets were pretty cool.

Funfact: the super Saiyan hair color change is only the way it is because he got sick of filling goku's hair in. In a b&w manga he can just leave it white.

After they buy the dragon dinner.

Hell yes I would.

Do a Mashup with Jackie Chan adventures and have all the collectible artifacts.

Well if we're just throwing it all into the mix; I challenge you to a Xiaolin Showdown!