/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/many-worlds-one-path-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
What's the best way to defeat the Plain?
>5th edition cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/beast-the-primordial-aa/541856-beast-character-idea-thread?p=1137167#post1137167
theonyxpath.com/the-labor-party-monday-meeting-notes/
pastebin.com/QMLSV8fH
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fuck off you gay ass namefag booty bandit

My favorite mage kill in demon was when I told this Obreimos master not to look up. Being the obsessive fuckers mages are he could not help but look up which promptly turned him into a pillar of salt. The absolute madman

For people that have played mixed games, how do you keep each splat relevant.

>What's the best way to defeat the Plain?
A speeding truck.

>Bloodlines even states that the seven thing is a lie

Yeah, but the other healers are still among the rarest bloodlines left in the world, due to how selective the Salubri are in choosing childer, the Tremere's hunts for them, and the fact that so few of them were left over from the purges.

Plus, the Watchers are, by default, not interested in Western Kindred politics, to the point where they foresaw the Healers and Warriors going near-extinct in the Dark Ages and they decided to keep focusing their efforts on curtailing the Kuei-Jin in the east.

>They truly missed agreat opportunity here, instead of embracing they should have figured out how to make gargoyles the old fashioned way to increase dwindling numbers.

You mean the Gargoyles themselves figuring out the ritual, yeah? Because IIRC, there was mention of a few Tremere (Camarilla and antitribu alike) who still create Gargoyles in secret using the ritual...

But if the Gargoyles were to only be capable of embracing through the ritual, they'd have to be much more limited in number, and probably not Camarilla.

See, it'd take much thaumaturgical skill and know-how to create new gargoyles (it's a 5-point ritual after all), and the creation of a gargoyle via a ritual requires two vampires to be tortured both physically, spiritually and mentally whilst being starved. The ritual is even described as being so dark and repugnant that the creation of a Gargoyle imposes an automatic decrease in a character's path, REGARDLESS of what path they follow. It's utterly abhorrent and alien even to the most alien and monstrous of vampiric moralities.

Since the Camarilla decided to pursue the path of humanity above all others (to better blend in), I imagine the Gargoyles would end up as a Sabbat or Independent bloodline, living in large groups for safety and hunting vampires of the Nosferatu, Gangrel or Tzimisce clans in the wild, keeping them staked until the rituals could begin.

>For people that have played mixed games, how do you keep each splat relevant.

I don't, really. Mixed games aren't really made to work, so you'd have to take shortcuts and start homebrewing a lot of stuff to keep it even and "balanced" for gaming purposes, which'll just piss people off (or just confuse them) in the long run, since you had to modify so many rules, even if you excluded mages (which any sane person would do in a crossover-game).

Has anyone run a game using innocence? Any stories about it? It seems like one of the stranger books.

Don't allow mages, give more starting XP to the weaker splats.

What is the order of spats that would need help, and how much help would they need?

I know it's not what you asked, but my serious, sincere advice to you is to not run mixed games. At best, allow other splats as supporting NPCs or villains of the week.

Create a varied chronicle in which different challenges can be approached from different angles. Play up to the strengths of certain splats and particular characters in your chronicle. Don't be afraid to counter some folks to let others shine. Don't buy into whatever splat wankery. Simple really.

I just have a group of friends that all prefer different spats, so I wanted to accommodate them.

It's not that hard. All these monster mash hating fags are just to creatively bankrupt to succeed at cross splat story telling.

I'd assume Hunters should have more XP than Vampires which should have more XP than Werewolves. How much XP exactly and how Wraith, Changeling, Demon, Orpheus, Kindred of the East, and Mummy should work, I don't know.

You'd have to be pretty creative to manage to pull off an internally balanced, cohesive
and interesting campaign using different splats with different themes and power levels.

Yeah creativity is a sign of a great story teller and not some scrub whose campaigns were stolen from media

Right, it would take a great story teller. Unfortunately, requiring a great story teller doesn't necessarily mean that a crossover campaign will be great itself, you understand? That great story teller would have to be great to just make a crossover campaign meet regular standards, because crossover flies in the face of how these games are built.

Alright, third time last time. Added a Nimbus, fixed some things and reallocated a bit. Not married to some of the merits.

How would one go about finding a game? Roll20 only turned up some shit about RWBY when looking in the WoD category.

Is Protean any good in 2e?

Turn on mature content there are a lot more games then that.

Does it let you do Aggravated?

>Mages are paranoid by default
>Every morning I hang 500 attack/defense spells over my head just in case
>Greetings mortal I'm Archmagus McPowergame look at my 5 Dot Hallow that I exclusively use to combat buff myself every morning JUST IN CASE
Yeah okay. Enjoy your game I guess.

We've started out opening a pseudo-Cabal in Philadelphia. My character is there because he divinated a catastrophic magical event in the future of Philly with the use of a censored artifact, and now he's trying to do some Fate-gardening so it doesn't come to pass. But Fate is so fickle that his attempts to prevent the event may very well be what enables it.

The second player is a Mastigos member of the Veil who is a native of Philly. I am suspecting he runs/supports part of the Labyrinth there but my character doesn't really know what the Labyrinth is. Unsurprisingly, he's been playing his hand close to his chest til now. He owns a auction house where we have cover jobs.

The third character is a Obrimos member of the Mysterium who is following a deranged scavenger hunt for Atlantis to the point where it has estranged him even from his former friends at the order and cost him most of his status. As far as I hear, the theory is about platonic concepts of the mythical city on the hill, and how Atlantis can pretty much descend on cities like Carcosa. His search led him to Philly.

Right now we're bumping heads with the local Seers. In our campaign the relation between the Seers is pretty much a cold war, but it can get hot pretty quickly. The last 24 hours were a lot of skirmishes, near-skirmishes, and frantically trying to ascertain what the Seers were planning to do with a huge ritual that gave the whole city a half hour of black out among other things. Apart from that we're working on an auction for Philly's creatures (thoroughly screened artifacts of course), and each following our own line of inquiry.

Ah, okay. I thought that you had to click that on to show only mature games.

>games are either sabbat, crossover, weird homebrews, voice only, or otherwise not a regular text Awakening 2e game
Guess I'll just put this character in my pocket for the next decade or so.

Under certain circumstances. How big is the distinction? It seemed to only be important in how players deal with it after the battle.

This maybe gaming the system a little bit but I recommend a Praxis that would be something that would make sense for your character to spam cast.

Fishing for exceptional successes will be an important source of willpower in the early game.

"Incognito presence" & "red light green light" aren't great Rotes because there's not many reach effects for you to take advantage off.

Also you may want to take your Rotes in common and inferior arcana to save yourself some mana.

Pick up some simple mundane armor when you can as well it'll stack w/ the mage armor.

Plat with non-shit players who don't min-max and don't care about perfect balance.

Worked for me. Ran a cross-splat game for years. Even included a mage. Mage didn't overshadow the group at all, and they weren't deliberately holding back either.

Only thing resembling a house rule I even had to do was removing arcane beats. A cross-splat game would give so many arcane beats it's not even funny.

This was 1e though.

Oh, and make sure your players learn their own splat's mechanics. If you have to babysit mechanics for everyone in the group, it gets not-fun fast.

>gnosis one
Your retarded green text strawman doesn't make the fact that mages are paranoid and cautious any less true.

Some splats like werewolves and demons can pretty much ignore all non aggravated damage.

You also need a Nimbus TILT

Mages are arguably the most paranoid of the Templates.

I, for one, would not want to hang around other Mages other than Cabal mates or close acquaintances.

Cool. What about the rest of Protean? How does it all stack up with, say, Vigor, or even Fortitude?

>This maybe gaming the system a little bit but I recommend a Praxis that would be something that would make sense for your character to spam cast.
That actually is why I chose it. I fully intend for him to carry on as a mundane criminal until he gets more traction as a Mage, and omni-directional awareness seems like a useful spell to have cast while breaking into places. But I'm not married to it.

>"Incognito presence" & "red light green light" aren't great Rotes because there's not many reach effects for you to take advantage off.
I think it's the best I could do for the Arcana and Skills I chose. Plus, you need Reach to Instant cast and it means I can move the duration to Advanced and keep them active for a whole scene as a matter of course without having to take penalties to up Duration by turns or risk Paradox. I also am not going to use Time enough to put all of my beginning Rotes into it, and the only other Arcanum it would make sense for him to want initially is Matter, which I can't take at character creation because Mastigos.

Yeah, I intend to expand on that with the ST.

Well you can turn into a sapient mist and exsanguniate your victims with impunity while also being nigh invincible

Campaign sounds neat.

There's a difference between "paranoid and cautious" and "always having and executing the right countermeasures." Hubris can be a hell of a drug.

Mages are forces to be reckoned with no matter what the build, but their greatest flaw that they're still very much human, with all that entails.

Could always run one yourself.

>their greatest flaw that they're still very much human, with all that entails

The same could be said of the other splats.

In terms of mentality, maybe. Vampires and Werewolves can be as reckless and retarded as any human.

I wouldn't make a good ST, and it doesn't really appeal to me either.

It literally can't, except for Hunter.

Maybe Deviant.

Most of the splats were originally human. Are you telling me they somehow think differently?

They're talking physically, numb nuts.

Werewolves were never human, guy. Moreover, most of the others are not human anymore, so you literally can't say "they're still very much human" and be correct. Let alone that it's their greatest flaw.

Correction. Werewolves are half human half spirit. user also said nothing about them being human, only formerly.

>Werewolves are half human half spirit
Which is why it takes both Spirit AND Life to affect them. :^)

Debateable

>user also said nothing about them being human, only formerly.

>>their greatest flaw is that they're still very much human, with all that entails
>The same could be said of the other splats

Yeah. They're not human *anymore* but function mentally like any other homo sapiens.

Impressive reading comprehension.

Thoughts appreciated on a Beast character I wrote for shits and giggles:

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/beast-the-primordial-aa/541856-beast-character-idea-thread?p=1137167#post1137167

So, the new Monday Meeting Notes are up, including some hype for Fallen Worlds.

theonyxpath.com/the-labor-party-monday-meeting-notes/

First, Tome of the Pentacle is still not in first drafts. Even if Signs of Sorcery is released in the not too distant future, we'll still have to wait years for TofP, with Fallen World yet farther away. I appreciate that OPP doesn't want to fall prey to the "release treadmill," but some supplement regularity would be nice.

The Fallen Worlds preview was also odd. There was disappointingly no mention of the Astral or the Hedge.

"Fallen Worlds: Fallen Worlds is about all the Mysteries that lead mages out of the material realm into the other planes within the Fallen World and beyond. Fallen Worlds would expand on the short descriptions of the Shadow, Underworld, and Depths, along with compressed rules for their inhabitants that are in M2nd with a chapter fully detailing mages in the Shadow, the Underworld, and stranger places that defy classification. Plus expanded rules for the inhabitants of these weird places, as antagonists and allies, and we’ll address some of the crossover questions that pop up from time to time regarding mages and the otherworlds described in other gamelines."

I assume DaveB is waiting to see what the hedge ends up like before nailing it down for fallen words, he has plenty of time since its not out for years.

>DaveB is waiting to see what the hedge ends up like before nailing it down for fallen words

True, but I was more surprised there was no mention of the Astral, mages own playground (partially shared by beasts). You would think the Astral would be emphasized.

Hmmm?

It's Veeky Forums's way of saying "no u"

>we’ll address some of the crossover questions that pop up from time to time regarding mages and the otherworlds described in other gamelines.
Oh boy. Is this book going to be a salt mine?

>Gnosis 1
eww

Mages are human
Hunters are Human
Deviants are probably human
Prometheans want to be come human

Only two splats never started off as human.

>we’ll address some of the crossover questions that pop up from time to time regarding mages and the otherworlds described in other gamelines.

Fallen Worlds Supremacy!

If Contagion Chronicles isn't released before Fallen Worlds, it's gonna get ugly on /wpdg/.

>Werewolves were never human, guy. Moreover, most of the others are not human anymore
oi
were human
they aren't anymore, none of them

Beast took werewolf's origin scheme.

Mage: enlightened human
Vampires: formerly human
Werewolves: humanoid
Changelings: formerly human
Sin-Eaters: possessed human
Mummies: formerly human
Demons: not human
Prometheans: creeping into humanity
Beasts: not human
Hunters: human

Did I get this right?

Believe it or not, I have a reason for that. The character is supposed to have a kind of transitory arc, where he goes from being more in line with his Sleeper identity to more in line with his Awakened one. I want him to start at the bottom with Gnosis 1, and as the book says, each increase with Gnosis comes with a shift in world view. So those will be the marks along the road to being more entrenched in his Supernal self.

>Hunters: human
Some are cyborgs and transhumans and demonoids.
You might say vampires are slowly leaking humanity.

There's an interesting contrast between Mages and Prometheans.

The former are essentially evolved humans
The latter are trying to evolve -into- humans

The lore of both lines also has some really interesting implications of Souls, the Supernal and the Principle.
They're both on the extremes of power levels as well, with Mage being at the top, and Promethean being near the bottom.

Crossover isn't even an issue with the two, if done properly.

wanting to rock up to a game with a premade char before knowing what the game is about is stupid.

Go find a game first, then make a char that fits that game.

>They're both on the extremes of power levels as well, with Mage being at the top, and Promethean being near the bottom.
Prometheans are stupid powerful.
That's what not being balanced with other games lookss like. Mage is specifically balanced against others.

>Prometheans are stupid powerful
>Mage is specifically balanced against others

Enough with the blatant bait.

Thanks for the advice.

If an Ordo Dracul vampire has two dots in the Coil of the Ascendant, does he just never need to sleep? You wouldn't even be spending more vitae than normal, because the one point every 24 hours for the blush of life replaces the one point every night to rise.

I'm looking forward to SoS's grimoire section. Rules for absorbing the soulstones of dead mages to act as Oneiros Goetia Mentors and flash drive holocron grimoires? Oh god yes.

I'm more interested in Prime being elaborated on. It's truly the most esoteric of the Arcana and confuses the shit out of me.

Pretty much. Daysleep vitae is only when you wake, according to the book.

Doesn't need to sleep.

Might want to sometimes, though.

Being awake all the time is boring.

>I'm more interested in Prime being elaborated on

Don't get your hopes up. Except for a few minor new spells, nothing in the outline or Dave's comments indicate we'll get any more of an expansion or explanation for Prime.

What don't you get?

>What don't you get?

I'm a different user, but I would like some guidance on whether and how Prime deals with non-Supernal supernatural magic /effects.

>looks at Prime Mage Armor
>looks at Prime Shielding

Is it exclusively Supernal magic?
Or is it also magic in-general?

Unfortunately this is something of a murky area, and cases can be made for both sides.

Issues like Prime are probably more readily addressed in an FAQ than in Signs of Sorcery.

>TFW Dave will never release the Mage FAQ.

>TFW Dave will never release the Mage FAQ

You know it's odd that prime is the only subtle arcana that doesn't have a realm associated with it.

Mind has the astral, Death has the underworld, Spirit has the shadow, Fate has the hedge.

...really user? Prime is the Supernal.

Prime represents truth, symbols, mana, magic and, ahem, The Supernal.

But the supernal is the supernal. It's beyond the abyss. The others exist within the tellurian and can be visited.

Eh, the Supernal isn't a 'place', but is referred to as a 'realm' nonetheless.

I understand what you mean.

Am I allowed the Magepost

Yes, but do it quietly.

>Yes, but do it quietly.

>quietly whispersMage Supremacy

focus more on character, shorter sessions and most importantly of all;

Just agree with the mage when they say "I killed myself, it wasn't him!" When they get their neck broken by a mix of paradox and homeless, one legged Vietnam veteran.

A promethean can fucking one shot an entire town with titanic blow dumbass magefaggot.

Feedback requested on these Attainments for a Time Lord Legacy:

pastebin.com/QMLSV8fH

citation needed

Before you even start working on the Attainments, comprehensively define the point and purpose of the Legacy, their Oblations, their Yantras, and how their Primary Arcanum (Life) folds into their Acanthus Path's comprehension of the Supernal.

It'll really help when deciding on their Attainments.