So, i've been wanting to play something like Doomguy and the obvious choice would be berserker

So, i've been wanting to play something like Doomguy and the obvious choice would be berserker
But i was wondering, is there a name for this particular kind of magic user who do not cast spells per se, but are instead permeated by magic and empowered by it without much effort on their part?

Kinda like self buffing i guess?

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo-barbarian-archetypes/savage-technologist/
youtube.com/watch?v=kjIVkl34Vig
youtube.com/watch?v=xA6LTsEkNdg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

We need to know the system, man

What system are you playing in

Depends on the game/setting. Speaking of D&D (because of course) Sorcerers and favored souls don't really train to become what they are, for example. Ardents in 4e receive no formal training (usually) and just believe in themselves so hard, so... ardent, that reality warps around them. This is sort of a theme for psionics in general, especially with things like Wilders.

There was nothing magical about Doomguy. His berserking was just drug induced stimulation. He is supposed to be epitome of badass normal, so stop trying to make him magical.

Well, there are adepts in Shadowrun, but their powers require training/meditations/bullshit.

Yeah I thought he was just angry about his rabbit.

You've never even fucking played doom. He ran something like 200 miles an hour, could teleport, and fought demons in hell. You think he's not magic? He spent hundreds of years trapped in a sarcaophagus only to pop out on Mars and go right back to kicking metric fuck tons of demonic ass. He EATS the raw energy of HELL and uses it to make himself a bigger bad ass. Of course he's magic.

So as said, we need a system.
As mentioned before in D&D Favoured Souls are a decent enough choice, depending on who you're a Favoured Soul to. (long and short of them, is that they've kind of like Jesus. They are their chosen god, but also a separate entity except when not. You can get away with a lot of shades in that gray area.) Maybe being a favoured soul to Kord or if you're more into Evil then Erythnnul would fit.
You could also looking into Raging Monk from Dragon 310 or just go and find Chet's d20 index and its well, index of classes for 3.5.
In other systems, it depends.

One thing I would point out regardless of the system is that you need to have a setting that supports this. Like as a DM, I don't have a problem with a self-aware murderhobo character as they tend to provide good banter, but if the game isn't already like it, there's gotta be a lot of work put in so that the murderhobo/Doomguy can enjoy his thick of slaughter without it causing an issue. You should probably check with your DM first if you haven't, and maybe ask him if maybe he already has some cult or guild of strongmen or something like that which your character could tie into.

Honestly, since he's powered by being ANGRY AT DEMONS, he could easily be a paladin.

What the fuck are you smoking? Doomguy only teleports by using teleport devices. He indeed fights demons of hell, but does that with firearms and other weapons. Also, what the fuck is this sarcophagus thing? Did new Doom rape Doomguy's non-existent lore or something?

He killed so many demons that the demons trapped him in a sarcophagus instead of trying to kill him. The baddie who started this whole thing accidentally released the great good that is Doomguy (while intentionally releasing the demons). He's definitely became supernatural from all the demons he have killed, although he's still using mostly conventional methods (Glory kills not withstanding).

Seems to be he's destined to keep fighting Demons->be entombed until the demons start shit again.

Also, note that Doolmguy runs so fast and is tough as fuck just because he is Doomguy. He does impossible things, but it ain't magic. He's just one badass motherfucker.

Yeah, I haven't played new Doom. I thought we we're talking about originals here in which only obviously magical thing about Doomguy is that he died in the end of first episode and goes to hell by dying.

Eh, his speed is past the natural threshold I think even in the old ones, which by definition makes him supernatural. It's not magic in the sense he isn't explicitly casting spells or using magical energy, but he is beyond natural limits.

>It's not [unexplained phenomena occurring outside the boundaries of realistic physics] it's just [unexplained phenomena occurring outside the boundaries of realistic physics]
Are you triggered by the word magic or something? Doom guy is supernatural. That's all there is to it.

If 5e, Kensei monk actually could fit doomguy pretty well.

>Can use STR for guns
>Can follow up any attack with guns with melee as bonus action
>has higher movement speed

>It's not magic in the sense he isn't explicitly casting spells or using magical energy, but he is beyond natural limits.
Which to be fair, naturally limits can pretty effortlessly be surpassed by a reasonably well rolled low level melee character in 3.5e if we go by given measures.

This would be a nice nod to the Night Sentinels in NuDoom, which have shown an affinity for Doom Guy and have their armor identified as "Templar Armor". In the legends he's been depicted as fighting alongside them and also being sponsored by someone/thing known as the Seraphim.

Where my mind went as well.

System i'm using is 3.PF, but it doesn't matter, i just want my true good hellslayer
D44m, man
it's a great game and if you still haven't played it shame on you
But yeah, basically
>make deal with devil for power
>devil screws you over, destroys your home and turns your son into the icon of sin
>acquire ridiculous amounts of power by being literally an energy sponge sucking the life out of the shit you kill
>hell too scared to deal with you, collapses a tower on you
>wake up at the beginning of game because mr cyborg unleashed hell on Mars again and his top doctor tried to summon the devil

Yeah, Doomguy falls like at the beginning of the new lore though
In the game they show the cover of doom 1 as an incision by demons so i guess they retconned the old story into his past

>Yeah, Doomguy falls like at the beginning of the new lore though

Is it verified that he's the Betrayer?

I'd also say that he became a Paladin AFTER the fall.

80p in GUN
20p in FIST

LAUGH AT DM WHEN HE SAYS THAT ISNT A LEGAL GURPS CHARACTERI

>Not dropping 20p of GUN into UNF
It's like you've never even played

>make deal with devil for power
doomguy wasn't the night sentinel traitor.

80 GUN
10 FIST
20 UNF
DOESNT SPEAK
BULLY
CRAVEN
Rest of the budget on speed and dodge.

Check out the bloodrager.

It's designed as a cross between barbarian and sorcerer. Got limited spellcasting and bloodline abilities along with rage and full bab.

>is there a name for this particular kind of magic user who do not cast spells per se, but are instead permeated by magic and empowered by it without much effort on their part?
They're called Monks

Run faster than a rocket launcher
Speak the universal language: rage
Punch things to death

3.PF has savage technologist, a barbarian archetype who has GUN RAGE (and an ability to make the ladies all wet with your, manly, gun toting, savage charm, but that's besides the point). It's also best played by using a gun + a melee weapon (preferably a cestus that leaves your hands free to reload) in unison.

It can also grab a bunch of supernatural rage powers, as usual for barbs.

Intredasting

The codexes seem to imply he is
Or at least that's what i got off it

d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo-barbarian-archetypes/savage-technologist/

It's bretty gud.

I second Bloodrager.

>ctrl+f muscle wizard

I'm picturing him now as a warlock who was given spells in exchange for not strangling his patron with his bare hands.

>Doomguy summoned a demon.
>He mugged it like a school bully.
>UNF UNF UNF UNF translates roughly to "give me your demonic power, nerd!".
>All demons everywhere are afraid of him stealing their lunch demonic powers.

why does a board about tabletop games have so many threads about a character from a video game? Most of these posts are youtube-tier "theories" trying to make a simple shoot em up video game deeper than it actually is

His armor was made/upgraded by a demon.

Videogames have a lot of cool characters and people like discussion about a character they like being in things they like.
It's as simple as that.
It's like saying somebody really likes Bekket from oWoD and would like to discuss a videogame based entirely off his exploits.

he's the same doomguy from the classic games (D1,D2,final & D64)

it wouldn't make sense for him to make deals with demons when they tried to invade his universe 5 or 6 times + killed his pet rabbit.

25/-25 :^)

When people gauge the power ratings of videogame characters they always seem to forget that the player DIES 100 FUCKING TIMES ON THE WAY TO THE END. Doomguy is not invincible, bayonetta isnt even more powerful that the other shit in her setting.

Especially when they work respawning and player death into the lore, it immediately demonstrates the hero dies all the fucking time.

I can get through doom on UV without dying. Stop projecting your shit gaming skills on everyone else, please.

He made the deal to rez his son. Devil delivered but again deal with devil yadayada icon of sin, has to kill own son. Is super pissed bout that.

Que:youtube.com/watch?v=kjIVkl34Vig

Im very proud of you for being above average user but an exceeding number of people don't get devote the majority of their time awake to vidya and such.

Heres an in depth review on the lore of doomguy from doom 4.

youtube.com/watch?v=xA6LTsEkNdg

straw man if i've ever seen one.

Pretty sure the guy's point is that due to the mortality of the character, them winning against insurmountable odds represents all the stars aligning, rather than some base level of raw ability they possess.
The Prince of Persia managed to seal back the Sands of Time not because it was a cake walk or because he could do it again, but because everything went right the one time he had to do it.

Or a much clearer though very different example from a different game everyone heard of, which is kind of the same angle he's arguing and which most people ignore:
You know how people question why the Night Guard would go back to work another day in Five Nights at Freddy's?
Because he's not in any danger to his mind.
In the sequence of events in which he gets through a night, nothing bad actually happens, he's just mildly freaked out by creepy automatons walking about.
This doesn't mean he's not in danger, just as Doom Guy or anyone else avoiding fatal blows with a mixture of skill and luck doesn't mean they're automatically above such blows.

The Seraphim is the player using his divine guidance to help Doomguy succeed

I actually prefer the Doomguy from Doom 3, who's more about trying to keep his shit together in a completely unsalvageable situation and finding effective solutions to difficult problems.
>Short on ammunition, armor and health? Better find a supply locker, and sit for a couple of minutes reading my PDA for clues on what the code might be.
>Door locked and needs some HR-guys PDA. Better go step into a literal demon summoning circle to get it.
>Holy fucking shit that's a lot of head-spider things. I'd better use my chainsaw to kill them as they crawl out of the vents, save ammo.
>These demons fire slow moving projectiles, I can use bullet weapons to shoot them out of the air.
>Huh, there was some fucked up shit going on here, I didn't know the scientists were literally sending people into a Hell through teleporter technology. I guess I'd better make my trek through this place, claim the Soul Cube, escape, and then fuck up the demons with this thing that they fear so much.

Sounds like an int-based fighter to me. Gunslinger makes sense.

It's implied he's the betrayer, but not confirmed. He may as well be the original Doomguy from 1&2; Ardent is linked to an infinite multiverse.