A society where everyone wears a mask, often customized to the wearer

>A society where everyone wears a mask, often customized to the wearer.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_Moth
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

"I wear no mask."

>A society where everyone wears a mask over their heart.

>people receive/make their mask when they come of age
>going maskless is a sign of a foreginer or a child

Dorohedoro has a good one. Basically, mages wear masks given them by devils as a sign of devotion and to strengthen their magic. Those who don't have masks, paint their faces instead.

And thus was facepunk born.

Seriously though, with more and more interaction moving online, this already exists, doesn't it?

Admittedly I thought of the Scorpion Clan from Legend of the Five Rings, but..

fpbp

This comic

Oh yes.

Isn't that the real world?

If I pull of their masks, will they die?

>the monks are basically kung fu mixed with lucha libre

This sounds awesome.

>a board where instead of discussing traditional games, morons continually post half baked ideas for worlds they'll never build.

Because it's required

So our world, just more literal.

I came up with ghis ax part of a DnD setting.

When anyone can change their face to mimic yours using magic, you need something more unique to you.

Obligatory.

I had a race in my setting like this.
Dishonorable people (criminals, sinners, etc) were supposed to wear masks to identify them as such. About a thousand years ago, there was a huge revolution with an "if you're not with us you're with them" mentality; therefore, just about everyone that lived through was guilty of a lot of killing. This society also had the idea of curses/guilt passing down through generations; as the destruction caused was too much to be paid off by a single life, children had to wear masks as well. This went on for long enough that wearing masks just became a part of the culture in their own right. Some still remember why they wear them, but at this point being the one dude in your village with your face showing makes you a pariah and disrespectful.

this game is so nutty

I had a game with this once. It was based on FFX and had to do with people going on great pilgrimages to become the next god. We forgot all about the mask thing by the 10th session and never went back. The first session was ALL ABOUT the fact that the party lost their masks and had to get new ones before they could leave the city in pilgrimage. Well, that and fighting slug demons.

Hawkmoon did it like 40 years ago user.

These looked so much cooler when I was 10

My black gentleman friend, Dorohedoro is fucking sick and actually makes mushrooms a terrifying power

Seguleh

>ctrl+F Utwig
>Phrase not found
You uncultured faggots.

I did a one-shot in a place like this. It was called The Veil and the name of the region changed with the seasons, in fact thats how the people referred to what month it was.

Beyond that, an individual would have several masks that covered everything but the area around their mouth, which would be personalized and tattooed. What mask an individual chose to wear was important, because it was how you communicated why you were talking to somebody. An adjudicator may sentence somebody under the Mask of Judgement, then confer with them privately under the Mask of the Father. Having too many masks is also considered distasteful.

Guests can be given masks if they like by a regent, though they usually stand out enough for it not to be considered a faux pas.

>being asked to remove your mask or show your face is either seen as incredibly rude or incredibly lewd depending on the context

Get that gay shit outta here.

Assuming its the mark of a child it would probably be considered really fucking lewd to fuck without masks on. Like full on gross.

Thank you for this recommendation.

>Prudish reasons
>the natural human face is considered too erotic for public display
>How they feel about the rest of the body (Skin, hair on women, etc.) can vary or even seem sexualized to outsiders, but you don't show your face to someone who is not your family or lover
>As such, masks aren't to hide identity, and personalizing them makes everybody's life much easier

>a people that have no faces so they make masks and helmets to give themselves an identity

>people that have no faces so they focus on bulking the fuck up until they're only recognizable by the size of their muscles

>a society where masks are the resl identities
>everyone is immortal because their "mask" gets passed on to someone new
>society hasn't aged a day since masks introduced

Nice plothook.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_Moth

Removing your mask is also extremely painful

I'm reminded of a thread on elves we had long ago.

They're supposed to be beautiful, right? But because they all so closely match a particular ideal there isn't much variation in their physical features. As a result, They all look pretty much the same.

The idea behind the thread was that they solved the issue by wearing personalized masks. There was a bunch of other stuff built on the idea, but it's been so long, I don't really remember it.

Fuck off

>there exists a small village deep in a forest rife with enchantment
>any who travel beyond the iron fence that mark the border must wear a mask, for the fae that live in the forest hold a grudge against the people of the village and hold great power over those whose faces they see
>superstition demands they not remove their masks anywhere outside the village out of fear that they may still be seen by the fae and recognized when they return home

If you were to wear a mask, it should have a flame motif

you are trying too hard to be a big guy it seems

It does exist, namely in Oriosa set in the DragonCrown War Cycle.

>In Oriosa, a person without a mask has no identity and is a shame to his family

I do that and like it, based on mostly, the god of beauty who looks like the stereotypical elf grants his followers the gift of looking as beautiful as him. So a continent of people now have the exact same face, hair, physique etc., with small variations for sexes, resulting in masks. Sun elves continue to worship him in their grand cities of the savannah (he is also the sun god), while moon elves curse him and keep to the forests, having the radiant glow in their skin and hair taken away so they're blue-skinned with gray-white hair.

I did this as part of a DnD setting. All of the residents of the Bridgetown region (so named because all of their settlements were constructed on a network of extremely sturdy bridges spanning a massive gorge, basically the grand canyon) are required, culturally, to wear masks from the moment they're born. They believe (accurately) that demonic forces roam the land and can work all manner of wickedness upon a person so long as they can see that person's face. Knowing a person's 'true face' is the same to them as knowing a person's "true name".

Children are given blank wooden masks which they can customize as they grow. They often go through several as hey age, keeping the older ones as mementos (and often as biographies of their lives, as the changes they make to their masks tell the story of how they became the person they are today). Upon reaching adulthood, they are presented with a sturdy porcelain mask carved and shaped to their specifications. Guests and newcomers are often given a blank mask to wear in town. Removing another's mask, for any reason, is a crime punishable by death by hanging. Wearing another person's mask is punishable by public disembowling before being thrown, still alive, from the edge of a bridge. Traitors are often stripped of their masks and exiled into the wilderness.

The shamans and priests of the region wear masks made of lead with silver inlay. Wizards wear masks of solid marble with black alabaster inlay.

The mask-makers of Bridgetown proper are so skilled that they routinely craft elegant multi-part masks with working facial features. Faux-cheekbones that can move and working jaws that open and close. Even the merchant class and skilled craftsmen can afford such intricate and complex designs. Peasants and visitors must often make do with solid single-piece masks.

Malazan book of the fallen had something like this. They were a culture obsessed with martial prowess and wore masks to hide their eyes etc during a fight to throw opponents off. It also denoted their rank as a warrior.

Is half a mask fine too?

Prosopagnosia the whole society suffers from it, genetically. To take off your mask is to be in disguise.

Take off your mask.

That's a big group.

hotheads

If you're OK with only being half-protected from Demons of Possession, angry ghosts, eye-rippers, and breath-stealers, yes. The Landscar (massive gorge) is a nexus of ley lines which, especially on the night of a new moon, tends to be a thin-spot in reality where creatures from The Darklands, Hell, and the Spirit World can slip through.

Read the thread you roody-poo

Where can I get one of those?

what kind of people decide they want their family to grow up there? Like, I can see magic type folks having reasons but I'd imagine most folks would just live on the perimeter or wherever visitors are given masks and walk in for work as required since it's clearly a hazard zone that you need to wear protective equipment to enter. Are all these people wizards or do they just harness the magic on a daily basis to power their homes or something? I can't really see the demons discouraging any invaders that know they'll be protected by a helmet.

Try watching/playing Nier Replicant. Its got a whole city of masked people.

>Removing another's mask, for any reason, is a crime punishable by death by hanging. Wearing another person's mask is punishable by public disembowling before being thrown, still alive, from the edge of a bridge.
This seems disproportionate. If the society developed this way out of fear of possession or demonic intervention, then removing someone's mask would make you an immediate risk to the community and execution or exile makes sense depending on how brutal these people are. But I really don't see how just wearing someone else's mask is somehow a worse crime. If you killed that person and took it as a trophy, maybe, but just impersonating someone is if anything less extreme.

1 Only way to get across the gorge without travelling over a thousand miles out of the way, so it's the keystone to a major trade route.

2: Shamans, priests, and sorcerers flock there since it is a major confluence of ley lines and a wellspring of magical power.

3: The bottom of the gorge is also home to the ruins of an ancient civilization, making it prime scavenging grounds for adventurers, archaeologists, mages, and artifact hunters.

No one cared who I was until I took off the mask

What was the reason for the masks anyway?

Man, I wasted so many hours in this dumb game just because I love faceless midgets with glowy eyes and knights.

>C-f Jack Vance

Jesus wept, people.

Anyway, _The Moon Moth_ by Jack Vance. May have inspired a lot of stuff with masks.

That's an interesting take on the black mage.

Underrated post

>not revealing your true face only for a spouse or close family member
Pig Disgusting

>that one kid with a completely plain mask

No1 is the best waifu.

The desert people in Nier

How about a society where all social communication involves wearing a mask, where there is a huge system of etiquette based on said masks (which there are about 1800 different versions of), and where not wearing a mask is seen as exceptionally offensive to everyone around you?

To hide creepy bug faces and keep the setting cute nobledark instead of horrifying.

Stealing another's identity, and their protection against supernatural dangers. Plus, as a major lynchpin in traderoutes, they are always on guard for infiltrators attempting coups or to weaken their defenses.

Elves in my setting are basically this, mostly due to them all looking the same within their subspecies, a side effect of being created by the goddess of beauty in her teenage years millenias. As such, they express their individuality through masks

Like Orlais

See the airship folks from the South in the Alloy of Law era of Sanderson's Mistborn series.

Reminds me of the clowns in the Fools' Guild from Terry Pratchett's book Men At Arms. Each clown has their own unique mask, which turns out later to be crucial to the plot.

No mask? No mask!

>a world where everyone has to constantly change their "mask" to avoid facial recognition for both media adverts, policing activity, and so that there other friendly elves still know whose cucking them

Discontinued. So, ebay.

OH is that what the masked lands was?

How many rules did they have by the time of that game?

SHUT UP IT'S CLEVER ALLEGORY!

There was a manga that wasn't Dorohedoro about this but I can't remember the name.

No, this is the real world. If you buy into Jungnian Psychology anyway.

the rich have an excuse to abuse the shit put of the poor because they all have the same plain mask and its easy to think of them as subhumans. They become faceless mooks

Came here to post this

Nowhere, that one was built by a fan. He published instructions, though, and the pieces can be bought on Bricklink.

see

The thumbnail looks like a huge distended mouth horror.

pollution

Ya rang?