/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/the-labor-party-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
What's the most unusual NPC you've encountered?
>5th edition cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EKGuElySguo
youtube.com/watch?v=Qojkae5S3bg
youtube.com/watch?v=HgXMoZdY5A0
forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-classic-world-of-darkness/mage-the-ascension/1077627-how-could-the-tremere-manage-to-win-the-first-massasa-war
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Am I powergaming if my Awakened character goes in heavy on Professional Training and Mystery Cult Influence?

It is impossible to powergame as a mage

Nope. You are powergaming if you spend all Merit dots on Gnosis.

>That face when a Camarilla Venture implies he wants to learn how to do the Vaulderie.

Mages are even better in fighting with non-physical means. Home condemned? Get a new one with Mind or Fate. All your assets are frozen? Forces or Matter will make new ones for you. Life mage just don't need all those, Space magic will easily help you find those who crossed your way and throw them into the room with no exit.

>Shattered Masks
>A Shards (alternative) World Setting where the Masquerade comes down. What effect does this have on a world of darkness where vampires are suddenly real, and among us?

Sounds fun.

Shitty choice. What does Professional Training gives you what Arcana won't?

No different from Trueblood I would imagine unless there isn't an actual trublood. Than I would not know.

So you are working under the assumption the mage has access to his full toy boxat all times.

Changeling Supremacy

What are you talking about?

No, but every mage will have at least one way to deal with the immediate problems, and for everything else there is cabal and Consilium. I love how mage haters try to forget all the time that lone vampire/werewolf is just as vulnerable to non-physical attacks, if not more than the mage, who at least won't burn in the morning sun.

Cover from hunters

Like hunters are dangerous for mages.

A normal life

>Not paying pest control to take care of insects
Do you even play WoD?

Did that retarded "reeee crossover balance" user leave?

Wow. I just finished reading the last thread. I'm a tad annoyed I missed this dumpster fire.

It's always hilarious when a single ignorant user starts spewing misinformation about a line he/she does not grasp even minimally, AKA Mage/Awakening.

>Dave is wrong and biased!!

Really? It seems you just cannot grasp how potent of a line Mage is. Your pathetic crossover ideals are a nonexistent factor in the CofD.

Let's not bring the things that moron brought up into a new thread, please. The guy wasn't even familiar with 2e.

What happens if WW releases a new splat that's stronger than mages?

Will Mage fans revolt?

Will Mage haters view the fans of the new line as "the enemy of my enemy is my friend?"

Will Mage haters cry in the corner because their special snowflake splat is comparatively even less special and powerful?

Will DaveB be blamed no matter what happens?

Will the developer of such new line replace Dave as the our new favorite developer?

Will RichT continue to suck no matter what happens?

Season 4 of True Blood is what happens when hedge witches bring a true mage into their coven.

I've tried to picture a splat stronger than Mage, but it's hard. Power is their theme, and Archmages can, quite literally, do *anything* given the time.

I'd say maybe a 'God' gameline, like Scion, but Mages/Archmages challenge gods as a point of the setting.

I haven't seen the show what's the tl;dr?

More Changeling get captured because they thought they could fuck with Fair Folk and get away with it. There were massive pogroms when Mask went down first time. In geopolitical scale there is now second loopier North Korea that's everyone's neighbor and demands slaves.

Season 4 had a coven of witches facing off against vampires. Their leader was a spirit of a dead necromancer and terrified the vampires.

There's already a strong splat.

The Plain.

youtube.com/watch?v=EKGuElySguo

Why? Demon and Mummy seem to be as Strong as Mage. If not more so. A god splat wouldn't work.

How powerful are Archmages?

>Genius
Trust in sciences would momentarily collapse as mass hysteria would sweep throughout the nations. Maniac Storms would create bardos of comfortable homogeneous and stable realities that would be raided by old and new generations of Geniuses. Massive amounts of unregulated Inspired would lead to global incidents as Illuminated would become norm. Eventually world governments would be approached by remains of Peerage or Lemuria and proposed Genius Registration Act to try to create semblance of order and common sense. Witch hunts for Inspired and people with mental disorders would occur regularly for over a decade among academia and government.

Gonna let you in on a secret: there are three species of magefag: mage fans, trolls for whom MAGE SUPREMACY is the tastiest bait, and sperglords sperging over poor interpretations of rules. So if there's a stronger splat, the fans continue being fans, the trolls jump over to SPLAT X SUPREMACY, and the sperglords have something new to sperg out over.

1. The strongest of mages are going to walk over the strongest of mummies and demons.
2. Archmages are the only god-tier template currently playable, and aren't supposed to be bested by their lesser.
3. Why are you still here shitting things up with your outdated 1e information? You're never going to have the crossover balance you want, not using RAW.

Go away

D E L E T T H I S

Guys I just read Princess and despite it being a fansplat and in desperate need of a strong editing hand and conceptual and mechanical fine tuning I liked it

Seriously this is a legitimately better read than Beast was and it doesn't have the same troubling issues wrapped up in it while also insisting they're the One True Splat Everyone Descends From.

I know that's more an indictment of Beast than a Princess strength but still.

The fact that there are actually Mage players out there who think like this saddens me greatly. You might just be baiting, or false flagging, or have never played the game (or all three) but I know they're out there.

A gnosis 5 master mage will not walk all over a fresh mummy dumbass. Rebuke the Fucking Vizier

>What happens if WW releases a new splat that's stronger than mages?
The trolls will jump to that splat while Mages will join Demon and Mummy in being a stronger splat, but no longer the top dog with insufferable posters.

Mediocre bait

>gnosis 5 master mage
>Unmaking

That's just not fair for the Mummy

Do all Mummies have that Utterance? Does it just completely no sell supernatural powers without a Clash? What about the Masters who have powerful Legacy attainments? What would happen if the Master opened a portal miles above the mummy and dropped a series of powerful bombs through it?

Rebuke the Vizier inflicts a Clash of Wills.

It, in all honestly, probably won't beat the Duration bonuses a Mage can set up to win out against it, either with Death or Prime.

Do all Mages have matter and death unmaking sense you need both to affect mummys?

A waste. The Master would Unmake the thing, or imprison it if it's worried about it coming back.

That looks like fun. What do you think Death 3?

>How powerful are Archmages?
9 Arcana all at 5 as Ruling, Gnosis 6-7 at the least, and one Arcanum above 5 dots that they can use to cast the Imperial Practices. They reside as their own realm in the Astral, and project themselves to the Fallen World in a body that really means nothing to them. No more than a regular Mage's dream body. They also auto-win Clashes against lesser supernaturals.

And that's just the barebones. Guys are pretty powerful.

Why would you need both? Death seems like it would be enough. Also, would you really need Unmaking to kill mummies?

This is 2e. You don't need to mix Arcana to affect other splats.

Yeah, Death 3.

The witch also conjured a barrier made of sunlight in a later episode.
Wonder how that would work using CofD rules.

Hahaha no. Blessed is the God King, Forgetting the Name, Redacting the Word, and best of all Shadow Name to make all that shit work on a mage without a hitch

Probably Death 4. Unraveling, upgraded to Aggravated damage. Skin sloughing off and all that.

>Wonder how that would work using CofD rules.
Making, if it was from thin air. Forces 5.

What does the vampire masquerade have to do with Changelings?

Forces 4 to turn ambient energy to sunlight or 3 if you're perfecting normal light.

No you only need forces 4 to convert ambient energies in the area into sunlight

It also tanked a rocket launcher

youtube.com/watch?v=Qojkae5S3bg

Not an argument magebabby. Gnosis 5 isn't beating Sekhem 10.

Did she actually damage her though? She only revealed the vampires 'true form' i.e. a corpse. That might be Death 2.

Exactly why I feel like Thunderbolt sets a bad precedent.

Shit, I meant Death 1.

>Obrimos with Death as third ruling

Interesting show

Why's that?

I'd agree with you, if not for ES Unmaking rules.

>Dont_irritate_the_Obrimos.webm

Or alternatively kinetic barrier in action.

More like Moros with Forces as third Ruling

Because it essentially turns Patterning into discount Making. Hey, I'll just take all this moisture from the air and convert it into some gold, or I'll turn the ambient heat into radiation, and so on. Not saying Patterning shouldn't be able to do those things, just that the process should be expanded upon more so that it can't be used just like Making for certain Arcana. Like extra turns or Reach required for it, or whatever.

youtube.com/watch?v=HgXMoZdY5A0

So what does gnosis do? I have a friend playing a mage game where everyone had to start at 1 but I have not played mage so I don't really unstated the implications.

Gnosis is enlightenment, you filthy plebeian!

Marley would have made an amazing Thyrsus.

I think you're just not creative enough to see the potential in both Making and Unmaking.

>So what does gnosis do?
Adds to your dicepools, determines the number of yantras you can use in a spell, how much mana you can hold and spend in a turn, when you can join a Legacy and then get the Attainments, how many active spells you can hold, your ritual casting time, the max dots you can have in Arcana, your physical skills, etc.

It's your enlightenment/raw mystical power. Higher Gnosis means more dice when casting spells, shorter ritual casting times, and the ability to spend and hold more mana. It also increases your dicepool for paradox, because more power means bigger fuckups.

So it is similar to generation for a vampire then? Does locking it low to start with make the game scale slower or something I am kind of curious for the why.

Understandable. I spend more time wondering about the limits of the arcana before arch mastery.

Creating Nuclear explosions w/ Forces is a classic example back in 1e (and possibly 2e I don't know if Dave has commented on this). You simply can't do it without dynamics.

But there are so many ways around the bottleneck if you're willing to invest just a little more into different arcana. So from a storyteller perspective what's with the roadblock?

Low gnosis makes it hard to freeform cast, since your roll is Arcana+Gnosis with no beneficial Rote yantras.

Quick question how many spells per day does a mage get? And or how many spell slots does a mage have?

It's the primary power stat. It just has so many benefits tied to it that Mages are incentivized to raise it as fast as possible.

Having it at 1 at chargen is seen as suboptimal by some players (read: 'that guy') who want to be able to perform crazy spells consistently right out of the gate.

Personally, I'm not a fan of magical autistic hobo player characters so I've banned spending merit points for anything other than merits at my table.

It basically means they have to actually spend their merit points on shit instead of dumping half or all of them into Gnosis to jumpstart themselves by 5-10 Experiences.

LEL

This isn't D&D

>Quick question how many spells per day does a mage get?
As many as they want to cast.

>And or how many spell slots does a mage have?
A number directly equal to their Gnosis, but I don't think we're talking about the same thing here.

What a fucking faggot. Sucks to be your players thankfully I will never have to play at your table.

Never said it was.
So what do you mean by the spell slots?

Lorewise, not mechanics, are Mages still the strongest of all the supernaturals?

Do the others fear them?

>how many spells per day does a mage get?

As many as they want from ruling arcana, rotes and praxis w/o mana costs.

For the rest of the arcana it's potentially limited by their mana.

And or how many spell slots does a mage have?

They can safely control a number of spells equal to their Gnosis. However they can reach past this limit potentially risking paradox.

There are ways around this limit w/ combined casting, relinquishing spell control, banner bearers, Sanctum, Imbued items/Artifacts (house rule but I'm sticking to it until Dave releases the FAQ), etc.

At chargen, numbnuts. It gives me an xp discount for a few skills, two specialties in those skills, and two free dots of Contacts.

>Do the others fear them?
Yep. Or at worst a healthy respect for their power.

>So what do you mean by the spell slots?
It means the number of spells they can have active in their Pattern. So at Gnosis 1 you could have 1 spell active, and for every spell you want to cast beyond that it costs a Reach.

Oh ok thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

The mechanics are heavily integrated with the lore, more oft than not. Though common sense need apply.
That said, the various splats are highly wary of wizards, as true magic is the epitome of power.

Archmages treat everyone on earth, all seven billion, as pieces on a chessboard.

Honestly I agree with him. Encourages actual character building and wards off dipshits.

Mummys don't fear mages and neither do sin eaters and beasts for that matter. Whether they should or not is a different question.

Not sure about NWoD but OWoD the order of Hermies lost their genocide war against House Tremere, this was well House Tremere was being fought by the Tzimisce, and friends as well mind you.

>Lorewise, not mechanics, are Mages still the strongest of all the supernaturals?

Compared to other playable splats? Sure. However, something that fuckers keep forgetting to mention in the splat vs splat slap-fests are that Mages are small fry within their own cosmology.

>Do the others fear them?
I'd say other supernaturals are wary of them more than afraid. You don't walk out your door every morning afraid Floyd Mayweather is going to cold-cock you now do you?

>Literally STOP having fun in a way I don't like.
If I became a mage now I would literally have 0 merits so why can't I put them into gnosis.

>Blood Treachery

Ah, the "VAMPIRES RULE" supplement. That made no sense. They wanted to make the Tremere look better than everyone else, even other Vampire Clans.

Luckily, Mage got revenge when they did the same to the Ravnos Antediluvian.

There are whole threads discussing how stupid the Tremere/Hermes war was, and how it completely nonsensical it was. It's often disregarded as canon.

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-classic-world-of-darkness/mage-the-ascension/1077627-how-could-the-tremere-manage-to-win-the-first-massasa-war

You must be a shit human then. You could also probably spend them on backgrounds.

The Massasa War was a joke, and proved how salty Masquerade writers were. Salty enough to infiltrate the Ascension team.

Wasn't the Ravnos antiliduvian going absolutely insane at the time and eating everything he could?
And I thought that was a coop between mages, vampires, and kuijin.

You don't have to stop doing anything. You could also literally buy any other number of Awakened merits. A Familiar, a Mentor, Infamous or otherwise, a Sanctum, Hollow, artifact or imbued item, among others.