Your party gets the One Ring. What happens?

Your party gets the One Ring. What happens?

Our party's resident gourmand halfing immediately sets out in search of the Lard of the Back Lands, said to be the greatest cooking fat to ever come forth.

Use it to steal shit.

Cock ring for micropenis

Instant corruption, party turns on itself until one is left, remaining party member becomes new dark lord

We're reasonably good people, but reasonably good probably isn't going to cut it.

>What happens?
Evil campaign, so... terrible things.

Bad Things, given that my setting doesn't have a Mt. Doom to destroy it in. But also there's no Sauron.

Aw, now I feel bad for the Ring. She can never return to her master.

Swallow it.

Probably nothing relevant to the One Ring as the Angel annihilates them from 3 Sectors over with a Cross Beam.

We had a reverse One ring once actually.
Our GM asked us to go wild during character creation and one player came up with a sentient ring that possessed evil creatures to do good things.
Unfortunately we each went our way quickly after the campaign began.

Toss it into a black hole.

It gets thrown on the pile with the several dozen other 'One Ring' imitators. Maybe it is the actual One Ring, maybe not; either way, the party has had it up to HERE with snake-oil salesmen posing as wizards asking them to take the damn things. The worst part? They're all made of gold foil and chocolate. And the party is allergic to chocolate.

>Ask what the ring does due to an ongoing meme based on our Druid not remembering what magic rings do

Three possibilities:

- We think it's just a plain gold ring. We either leave it behind, or one of the PCs takes it as a trophy.

- We find out about it making the wearer invisible. We sell it to a megacorp/government. Sure, personal cloaking devices do exist, but the ring is much smaller and doesn't have an obvious power supply. So we expect they will pay a lot for the chance to reverse engineer it.

- Someone convinces us that it needs to be destroyed. We load it into a missile and chuck it into the nearest star.

Anyone know what would happen if a sentient robot wore the ring ?
Either on a finger or on some other protrusion.

Call fixer, ask about fencing it

Princess probably tries to wear it because it's pretty.
Autistic evil knight tries to harness its power to fight the greater evil.
The fey duke collector of magical items they work insists on putting it in his vault because it's too dangerous.
The other two in the party probably agree to go along with putting it in the vault after some bickering about whether they can sell it.

Mmmmmmm strawberry smiggles

Bad things. Party is evil. And my character is a wizard with the "Think of the possibilities!" mentality.

At this point, my party is so paranoid of anything that smells even partially of "fey" that they would probably get rid of it as fast as possible. They wouldn't do it ti "resist temptation" but more to "get rid of that goddamned talking ring with the fucking fey-looking script that's clearly up to no damn good."

Also, my campaign has much more elements of Howard, Vance, Moorcock, and Burroughs than of Tolkien, so they could probably pulp-bullshit/manliness their way through it Conan style.

this is my favorite

Use it to fulfill his childhood dream of being a perv and sneaking into the women's locker room without getting caught.

Oh, and I suppose sneaking into some high security corps too.

The Sorcerer, Bard and Cleric trio immediately recognise shifty magical cursed jewellery when they see it due to prior events in the campaign. They avoid it as much as possible.
Ranger goes "Ohh, shiney!" and the trio drag her away.
Fighter is currently cursed to be to stupid to be tempted.
Druid sees this as a perfect opportunity to erradicate all of humanity. Again.
We can't be fucked stopping her this time.

In a years time, when she is right hand to the Witch King, leading an endless horde across the lands the party negotiate to leave their homelands alone.
If negotiations fail then they wake up the Deep One that sleeps in the volcano near our home that all their people worship.

Kind of a Godzilla threshold but the Deep One quite likes it's own loyal kingdom, see them akin to pets and would actually fight to protect them.

Party immediately ignores such an obvious McGuffin and instead focuses all their attention on a random NPC and/or useless item lying around.

Paladin immediately uses his absurd Charisma to persuade the Sorceress, who he happens to be fucking, to use her scroll of Mord's Disjunction on it.

Trade it to the Archfey we're currently bound to by a contract that that fucking bard didn't tell us about.

Last time we ever let him do the negotiating in private.

We have three rogues and it's anybodies guess who knicks it.

Ultimate. Gardening.

Fantastic, yet ANOTHER evil artifact that draws evil assassins to our location. I wonder if they'll fight each other, or just team up and run us down.

Why is it that people who answer seriously in these threads invariably have shitty characters, campaigns, and an obnoxious writing style?

Because this is Veeky Forums. Most people don't actually play games. The ones that do are usually shitters.

My setting has a group that is basically the SCP Foundation who specializes in tracking down, locking up, and keeping tabs on artifacts and other dangerous toys. They have five categories, although two are rarely used:

Category 1: item that is dangerous mostly to the user- handle with extra care.

Category 2: items that are dangerous to the user and/or other people. Dangerous weapons.

Category 3: items that are dangerous to everyone in a large area - cities, provinces, empires or continents. Weapons of mass destruction.

Category 4: items that are a threat to the entire world - anything from extinction level events, to full blown planet busters.

Category 5: anything that can destroy the entire universe, the multiverse, or whatever may beyond that. They only bother to have a category for this because some maniacs built a self destruct switch for the universe and sat their Castle on top of it.

Anyway, the one ring is mostly a category 1, although it enables someone else to be a category 3 threat. They have procedures for this, mostly locking it up and staying the fuck away for it, and wiping people's memories of it.

Honestly, use it for invisibility, then the moment I tell them they're starting to be corrupted by it, they'd sell it.

Man that thing has an ego score in the high 20 at the lowest and is a negative level to anyone whose alignment isn't LE so fuck that shit, shove it in the evil magic item vault with the other shit that is too much of a pain in the ass to destroy and move on, there are easier ways to get greater invisibility.