Is there a martial art or sword style based around 1 heavily armored hand and a weapon?

Is there a martial art or sword style based around 1 heavily armored hand and a weapon?

You could catch your opponents weapon in your armored hand and kill him with the other. You don't even need to stop the weapon fully, just deflect and disable it. It isn't the same as using a shield either, because the armor on the hand would be lighter and probably take less metal to stiffen than an entire shield, and you can also catch the weapon instead of just deflecting.

I feel like something like this must exist, but I don't know where or what it would be called, also if it was tried and failed because it sucked.

Fingers are fragile. What you want is a jitte.

>1 heavily armored hand

That's called a Shield. Shield and Sword style, invented by everyone.

Thracian Gladiator types are the closest thing.

It's a very poor way to equip someone and even detrimental as an equipment choice so you can see why it was only good for arena fighting

Well, I don't know for sure, but you'd need one HELL of a tough gauntlet for it. Plate mail, mithril, something enchanted, Dragonskin gloves, maybe? It'd have to be strong as hell and so would you to not break your weak-ass wrist trying to catch a broadsword or some shit.

I could see it working in a Star Wars setting maybe. Cortosis gauntlet and a lightsaber? Yeah that'd work.

Rapier + parrying dagger is a thing.

Even in armor getting hit in the hand is extremely painful.

Not outside of fantasy, but there are open-hand fighter variants in D&D 3ed/pathfinder IIRC that can disarm/trip/grapple as free actions/instead of attacks or something. They're cool.

It's a cool idea in fantasy, IRL it's too dangerous to do. You either have an adequate weapon that can face a similar one, friends with armor/shields, or a longer weapon, or you generally lose (think shortsword/falchion/hatchet vs. longsword/claymore). Your hand is a delicate gentle flower compared to steel, even encased in a heavy gauntlet, be it leather, chain or steel plates.
I can't begin to explain how dangerous this is, catching a blade or even worse, mace/axe head in the hand will surely break your fingers or worse. Recently heard of a tale of a reenactor getting his forearm broken like a twig from blocking a lightish mace strike; such a blow to the hand would surely be debilitating and likely more painful.

There are judo moves that are parry enemy blade with your weapon and then grab their wrist, but I don't count that as armored hand+weapon, more like general fighting+wrestling, that's also cool.

tl;dr IRL no go too risky too dangerous, fantasy very yes, it's cool.

>heavily armored hand
Not really

Gauntlets and shit are much more expensive than a shield, which is just demonstrably better. Fighting with an open hand in general is a thing though. In all honesty a lot of regular hand to hand martial arts work just the same if you're holding a knife. Rapier/open hand is a thing too, it's how I do my rapier fighting. You hand is horrendously obvious as a target though.

It's not very practical unless the gauntlet was basically a shield already. With that said, when full plate armor became common enough to base fighting styles around, grabbing the enemy's weapon directly became a common tactic.

Or balls of steel. Grabbing sword blades (with or without gauntlets) and grappling was a pretty normal thing during duels. Doesn't matter if you cut your hands up or break a few fingers, as long as you walk away alive.

So I guess it would only work (sort of) if you had a fake hand or something that you wouldn't have to worry about bones in.

Disappointing, but makes sense. I guess hands just aren't made for a lot of force. Explains why boxers fractures exist.

Your hand and arm can actually take a lot of punishment without breaking. It's just that it can only take that pressure along certain points. I don't know about an arm snapping like a twig from a reenactment weapon unless the arm was in an awkward position to begin with.

I don't know why it took me this long to realize why jittes are blunt.

Real combat is pure shit, IMO. It's over too quickly and often without much cool shit happening, that's why I like medium ruleofcool systems and settings.

Also balancing firearms is a fucking nightmare. When in doubt, go for rule of cool if you can. Don't rule of cool Song of Swords or something serious simulationist tho.

Because they're a defensive weapon used to disarm and detain?

In Stormlight archive, there is an extremely difficult maneuver where you catch a shardblade by the flat part of it, as they have very little weight and actual force behind them despite being huge, and don't really do anything unless you touch the cutting edge.

7th Sea the Eisen dueling school is based entirely around this idea, big sword in one hand and the other in a heavy gauntlet

So what about something like this? The palm and back are heavier bits, stiffened with metal so the impact is taken more into the rest of the arm.

Actually, it would probably still break someones wrist, now that I think about it. I guess a thinner, sort of sleeve type shield for deflecting is the closest thing.

It should be noted that you're not grabbing the blade to block a strike as OP seemed to be envisioning.

Sure. But it only works for duels and arena fights because there is a set condition where the fight is just arbitrarily over. If you are gaming a system with rules, thats a valid play.

But in a real fight, like against bandits or some shit, crippling yourself to gain the upper hand and the kill on bandit 1 just leaves you screwed against bandits 2-4, and that assumes you don't get into any more trouble before you get a chance to heal up.

That would still break your wrist, yes. With enough protective covering you could deflect a blow down your arm, but unless you're tougher than the average human, you shouldn't try catching weapons.

Not at all, actually grabbing a weapon to block is kind of garbage no matter how heavily armored you are because the weight of the weapon and the wielders strength might be too much for you. What I meant is that you use the "grab" to more effectively guide the path of the weapon as opposed to just pure deflection with a shield.

>Not at all, actually grabbing a weapon to block is kind of garbage no matter how heavily armored you are because the weight of the weapon and the wielders strength might be too much for you
Most weapons don't weigh that much. You're talking about the force of impact. It's possible to grab a weapon before it gains damaging momentum, and that would work, but to do so would require so much more skill than just using a weapon or a shield to turn the blow.

Where is the force of the blow you're catching or deflecting going to go? The answer is not "I deflected it so it doesn't matter".

It was invented, for the record, in rural England in the 1600s by a man who thought shields were too heavy/cumbersome, and he was laughed at by his peers.

But he pressed on, and on the morning of October 14, 1631, he valiantly marched into battle and his hand was fucking mangled by the first sword swung against him, and he was promptly told to 'cut that faggotry out'.

Without magic or indistinguishable-from-magic tech, you're going to ruin the absolute shit out of the small bones in your hand.
They can't be set and modern surgery just fucks your hand up worse.
Grabbing a weapon is an absolute last resort; it's smarter than throwing your gun, but not by much.

I mean like an axe, or some weapon where it has a heavier part that lends itself to power. But then a shield is probably better.

As for grabbing a weapon before it gets going, I guess a chainmail gauntlet is probably enough for that.

Oh well. At least now I know for sure this doesn't work.

I mean, you can do it as part of some weird, super close, in-fighting style but it's so much more difficult than just parrying with your own weapon that you'd only be doing it to show off and style on someone.

What you want is a buckler. If you want grab with your hand, opt instead for some sort of parrying dagger.

There's a lot of fighting styles that are popularized by fiction that are like that. Almost nobody practiced it because you have to be a fucking gorilla swordmaster to do it, and even then, it's mostly just to show off.

Pretty much what everyone else has been saying, you need something more substantial than a metal glove. That said, I do like the stylistic look of it myself, although if you want it to be more realistic you'd essentially want a pretty wide shell covering your entire forearm at a bare minimum. You could incorporate it in a way that would basically still be a gauntlet, just that all the fingers and bits would be underneath a larger layer of metal over the top.

It wouldn't be something small enough to hide up your sleeve. For that you would want a parrying dagger or something you could hold properly.

You don't have to let reality be the fun police, but if you're trying to keep things realistic, physics is right there, watching and waiting for you to tell someone to hold your beer.

Motherfuckin' panzerfaust

Seventh Sea has it as a style, idk if its an actual real style though.

I believe the style is called Eisenfaust. They had a 'semi-magic' gauntlet that was supposed to be unbreakable and built a swords school around it.

Closest I can think of is the use of a cloak in the off-hand. You don't catch the blade with your fingers, you catch it in a heavy drape and hope to entangle it for a moment.

It's basically a poor man's swordbreaker, though. Not an ideal, just an emergency option.

That's how Thor thought in mythology, although not for the reasons you suggested. He would throw his hammer with one hand, and catch the (hot) hammer on the return with his armored hand.

No, because it's a really bad idea to deliberately expose your hand to injury

Parrying daggers and shields, even small dueling ones, were invented for this reason

Jesus those goats are LIVID

IIRC panzerfaust requires a full body cyborg conversion and makes use of sci-fi super metals and plasma jet enhanced speed so I suppose that could catch blades as well. Assuming he means the fictional martial art and not the German grenade launcher.

The point is that if you are wearing a gauntlet and blade catch the intended way (so NOT grabbing an incoming strike but as part of a bind or grapple) you don't injure yourself at all.

Heck, swords weren't even sharpened that much all over their length usually, so you may get away with it even without a gauntlet.

I think you're mistaking it with Panzer Kunst from the Gunnm / Battle Angel ALita manga, a fictional martial art developed by cyborgs to fight other cyborgs.

There is described in various 18th century british broadsword texts a piece of armour called the Irish War Gauntlet, a heavily armoured padded mitten used (or so the texts claim) for pretty much exactly that purpose. It's huge and extends up to the elbow but we sadly don't have any evidence they actually existed iirc.

I've seen a martial art like this before, but I can't remember the name. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Asian.

Have you met a real life goat? Their mood tend to range from "angry cantankerous asshole" to "RAMMING SPEED! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!".

Pic related is you're best bet. but in general you want to avoid getting hit in the hand at all costs.

For what it's worth, having a gauntlet on her arm lets her do grab tricks with her sword-whip.

For you

A heavy gauntlet is only good for parrying insofar as your reflexes can carry you. The threshold for failure is razor thin and if you miscalculate you're going to obliterate your hand.

Now, grabbing your opponents weapon? Different issue entirely, and a potentially very good strategy.

Tira is also using her gauntlet to hold her ring-blade.

You don't need to catch a blade as it is slamming down on you, just grab it when you see an opening. I would probably just make a fairly conventional plate gauntlet perhaps with a built in buckler along the back of the wrist and forearm. You can deflect swings with the buckler or outright grab the sword with your gauntlet.

Just go full fantasy and make whole arm made of metal, be it magic, super power or dwarven equivalent of cybernetics.

Yes can't remember the specific gladiator name though

YEAH YEAH YA'LL READY
IT'S TIME FOR THE S4 LEAGUE
WE 'BOUT TO 'SPLODE LIKE A BOMB
*GARBLED NONSENSE*
SUPERSONIC

my nigga

I actually use this as the default set-up for Rogue/Mage hybrids/characters.
The gauntlet is a spell focus like in Dragon's Dogma with mostly utillity spells. Cloud yourself in shadows to obscure your movements, flash of light to blind the enemy, imbue your weapon with lightning, shoving a fireball in that stupid face, etc.
In your mainhand is a hand-and-a-half sword that usually wield in two hands when you are not casting. This strategy probably would benefit from heavy armor, but I like keeping the torso with cloth or at least a cloak as an allusion to mage robes.

Sadly I can't name an examples of this type of character. The closest would probably be a pyromance from Dark Souls 1, but those lack any gauntlet-based moves and usually also use shields.

A lot of gladiators had that armor and a shield.

However, scissores are close.

>1) This isn't the board for this. There is an entire fucking board for weapons.
>2) You're an idiot.

Actually I was thinking Cyberpunk 2020's panzerfaust from Solo of Fortune 2. You're right though, I misremembered the plasma jet thing from BAA, the CP2020 version hand exploding palm bombs.

user, you don't even need the other boards when you have Veeky Forums