Is there a post apocalyptic setting more unsettling than fleshworld?

Is there a post apocalyptic setting more unsettling than fleshworld?

Other urls found in this thread:

creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Dogscape).
youtu.be/gug_0mNhg4k
scorn-game.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=765bzjnywQc
youtube.com/watch?v=MvBo_rKleNw
doumyakutosi.tumblr.com/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=lMktFQhBMTg
eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-30-scorn-is-hr-giger-inspired-nightmare-fuel
elfmaidsandoctopi.blogspot.com/search?q=Xor
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't know anything about it and googling just brings up Twin Peaks

you know, stuff like dogscape (creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Dogscape). where the earth as been taken over by a single organism that has absorbed all resources, and the few remaining humans must eek out an existence one the hide of the monolithic, valleys of living flesh that was once the earth

So Grixis, basically.

No-fleshworld.

Link is 404.

I'd like to see a setting where the players must venture onto a world whose time has passed

H.R. Giger-land.

>everything is either tubes or deformed bodies or both
>everything is constantly raping itself and it's surroundings
>landscape is greeble of rape-tubes and skeletors

that guy was majorly diddled as a kid or some shit.

Get rid of the end parenthese.

He was German.

There should be signs of a great people long gone

And where the players tread quietly, partly for respect for the dead

swiss actually

Partly because the lack of either wind or animals make every foot step echo

And partly because whatever horror fell on the land may not be entirely gone.

i find this image exceedingly creepy

this one seems a bit tryhard

Beksinski didn't really pull of hardcore horror. Everything was a sort of creeping existential despair.

Go look up Tormentum - Dark Sorrow. You would probably love it.

Imagine finding multiple such dead planets improbably close together in space and time, like twenty lightyears and five million years tops, close enough you can't believe it's a coincidence, with evidence they died in similar ways.
That implies 1. intelligent life occurs more frequently than we ever hoped, and 2. something keeps wiping it out.

What the actual fuck did you just made me read. If I have any dog-related dreams tonight, I am coming for you through the barknet

youtu.be/gug_0mNhg4k

Watch this whole thing without feeling even a tad bit queasy

But that's my secret. I'm always a tad bit queasy.

Somebody really like that Tool music video with the meat pipes.

>swiss

>neutral
>made weapons for the germans pre-ww2

The only dread I felt was the dread that this will have little to no gameplay and is just a showcase for vague, pseudo-deep themes and an animator's laborious plagiarism.

>an animator's laborious plagiarism
Plagiarism for what? Giger? That's not plagiarism dude.

you'll like this even if it is technically unrelated
scorn-game.com/

I know I'm going to get this game for the aesthetic style whether it's good or not, I know that may be a stupid decision, and I don't care, although I probably should.

I like that. I have a setting where a region was consumed by demons whose themes include flesh. There are things like tongue prairies there. The goddess of sacrifice holiest place is the fortress right in the middle, serving as bait to distract the demons from the outside world.

youtube.com/watch?v=765bzjnywQc

youtube.com/watch?v=MvBo_rKleNw

youtu.be/gug_0mNhg4k

Bought Sol: Last Days of a Star because >aesthetics
Don't regret it.

7:00
>opens door
>"fuck that"
>closes door

>dog scape
Man thanks for the memories. Reading this the first time was so surreal yet interesting. It's a classic seriously

>Fleshworld
>There are just random dicks, tits, asses, mouths and vags everywhere
>"Unsettling"

Speak for yourself.

And for the allies, too.

It's pretty much the Druuna setting from Paolo Eleuteri Serpieri.

>Hive-consciousness
>Humans gather sustenance from its excretions
>Humans also worship it as a god
>It occasionally devours people with malicious intent
Reminds me a lot of The Bloom, although without all the interdimensional portals.

It reminds me both of Blood Music and Schismatrix, both published in 1985. I wonder if there are earlier examples...

Suguru Tanaka is the artist of that image.
doumyakutosi.tumblr.com/

Somebody made a setting based on that one Pink Floyd Music Video?

Kinda reminds me of the Isz from the Maxx.

Fun fact:
In Xenophon's the Ten Thousand, wherein he tells about the time he and his mercenary buddies got stuck in a hostile persian empire after they participated on the losing side of a civil war, one segment have them camping out at the ruins of an Assyrian city and marvelling at its grandeour. They ask their local guides who built the place but they all falsely asume that the Medes did. This only happened about 200 years after the fall of the hated Assyrian Empire and still no one remembered it.
>My name is Ozymandias.

This is a parody right?

In what way? This is a genuine setting Veeky Forums once put a lot of thought into making one very dark day. There was writefaggotory.

It just reads like a goofy magical realm for furries to me.

>An image for ants?

I got the reference, but your image is shit.

Your brain has been corrupted by memes, how is that sexual in any way?

Furries are into more fucked up fetishes on average, but I don't think most of them are into body horror and the complete death of human civilization.

>partly for respect for the dead
Hah, I'm running a post-apocalyptic game and the only thing they respect about the dead is their stopping power should a corpse decide to defend it's belongings.

Sorry, phoneposting.

>how is that sexual in any way?
I don't know know, perhaps it's the teat-suckling, groundvag-pounding, anal-spelunkin and death by dog-snu snu?

>Furries are into more fucked up fetishes on average, but I don't think most of them are into body horror and the complete death of human civilization.
When did I write that it was made by or even supported by all the furries?

I have no mouth and I Myst scream.

They are but they call it "my fursona" and "putting an end to fursecution" respectively.

I did. The trailer did get to me, but this was just a bit of icky FPS first level action.

"Time to wake up Mis... ter Freeman. It... seems that... Black Mesa caused a... rather big... problem."

[silent wanting the bastard to just give me the damn crowbar intensifies]

"You can have a... glowy rock."

I thought of it as a garage door opener.

Still loved it, mind you.

Should refer to

The problem with this kind of setting is that there is nothing to do.

Find the McGuffin is always a good one. Everything outside the vault (or equivalent sanctuary) might be dead but there is some interesting shit left behind. Also the Vault won't exist forever without scavenging some parts or things to make parts out of once in a while. That time is now. Are you bad enough dudes to venture into the cities of the dead and the boneyards to find the McGuffin? Just because everything is "dead" does not mean that it is safe.

Or you could be looking for someone else trapped on the Dead World. It could be the corpse of a world briefly visited in the first Narnia book, it could be Deadworld from Judge Dredd they could be the same place or it could be a Legacy of Kain type thing where you travel to beyond the last of life dying to take something from the end to the beginning to try and make shit not happen.

It could be a Night Land, Last Redoubt situation if there was not a force field and the last bastion of humanity has to be defended from attack by unspeakable things. An eternal siege and one without possibility of relief but one that must continue because to fail is the end of all things.

Meh, I have completely fetishized horror. Only jump scares work on me now.

That gameplay is sloooooooow, tho.

That's the endgame of Blood Music, and it was pretty inspiring and sweet.

You want unsettling? Try the end of 1984. Or the end of With Folded Hands. Or I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. Or Requiem For a Dream.

Eternal, inescapable subjugation seems much worse than what amounts to a typical college sophomore's bathtub, writ large.

It is too late
It has alreads begun

I think it worked well in The Magicians Nephew

You could get used to it
m.youtube.com/watch?v=lMktFQhBMTg

1984 was haunting as fuck

Sure?

It works for a couple kids scrambling around the ruins of a dead world and reviving the bitch who killed it.

I mean in the sense that it's only kind of a brief visit, and they end up stumbling a little too far into some shit before getting the fuck out, dragging some of that place with them

with that kind of plot line you don't need to worry so much about the world being empty and boring as you kind of just lean on the best parts of an old crumbling world

Read Raft by stephen Baxter. Its about human survivors who live in a new universe where the gravitational constant is a billion times stronger than our native one. it features a clan of humans who live on a "planet" 100 yards wide made entirely of the bones and mummified skin of their dead. they filter their waste through the meat and bone world to make a passable drink.

How does anything remotely human sized manage to survive on an area less than 100 meters?

baxter goes into detail on how they survive and its plot related so i dont want to spoil it.
Raft is part of the Xeelee series if you're interested. mankind goes to war with a race so old and advanced they dont even notice us while said race is at war with a species even older thats eating all the stars in the universe.

Seems interesting. Is this Raft book a standalone or would I have to read other books first?

You can but you don't strictly have to. If you're not spoiler sensitive just read some summaries of the other stuff, or you could read just _Ring_.

Stephen Baxter. Good shit. Not the guy you're talking to, but I read Arina and it stuck with me for a while. I've read summary and exerts from his other stuff and he's good at imagining the long term of things.

>That Xeelee origin evolutionary origin in the cosmic static

I will definitely pick some of his works up after I've finished the Gormenghast Trilogy.

Glad to see it wasn't just a trailer. The sound design does concern me though. The humming is rather obnoxious and the guns I was hyped about just go doom 3 "boom" with a metallic clang, although they are visually made from living tissue.

Yeah, that was really disappointing. I'm getting really tired of games taking place in ostensibly scifi settings and having the bog standard conventional pew pew shooty guns that we're used to, with zero effort put into making them exciting and different to use.

I mean, I'd be more content with slurpy-splashy noises, but they could also do something like a sound of breaking glass or wheezing drill

"GET THE GINGER FAGGOT, BOIS!"

So you're thinking a super small system or have it set up like AdEva

Beksinski>Giger

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

One of the more haunting quotes I've ever heard.

Is this the new Doom game

so, dead space?

wrong

>you must go and search for a weapon or item of some sorts rumored to be there

>you must search through the ancient knowledge of a dead civilization and find x (ways to commune with a god, ways to open a portal, etc)

>found a dead world, time to explore and find out who they were and how they ended, find incredible stuff, discover that whatever was their end isn't gone

>while said race is at war with a species even older
I don't remember them being older, just made of dark matter and outnumbering the Xeelee 10:1 while having about the same tech level.

It started with dumb Marmaduke shit, so I'd argue it kinda is.

>no
eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-30-scorn-is-hr-giger-inspired-nightmare-fuel

You might like this for RPG fodder. There's a lot to read, though.

elfmaidsandoctopi.blogspot.com/search?q=Xor

I had a similar idea for a setting.
The world is made of the bodies of dead gods and giants. The players are a bunch of super saiyan/superman esque characters, while the enemies and NPCs are microbes, parasites, bacteria and various races that live on the bodies.

Dogscape would have been much cooler without the marmaduke origin story shit

pretty creepy thread here

The gun reminds me of that weird tooth gun from ExistenZ.

Some of the things in that book are fucking terrifying

>Gormenghast Trilogy.
Trust me. There are only 2 books.

Everyone regrets the third one.

never got to Bloom, something about Numenera really put me off. Never finished the game.