What would a lovecraftian being that actually likes humans (not in a asshole-nyarlathotep way) act like?

What would a lovecraftian being that actually likes humans (not in a asshole-nyarlathotep way) act like?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nodens_(Cthulhu_Mythos)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nodens.

Jesus.

>I fucked my own mother to create me for the purpose of sacrificing myself to myself to save you from my wrath

Blood borne?

In all seriousness, I was writing a story about a lovecraftian/monster girl/beast thing that wakes up and torments a dude because he's living where she used to.

They grow to respect each other, and he gives her a room in his house.

In terms of looks, think Vigor Amelia, with a little monster girl sauce.

>Nodens
>Lovecraft

I have news for you

Defeats the purpose. The whole crux of lovecraft's horror was explicitly that the universe is big and doesn't give a fuck about us. The closest thing is Nyarly-kun, and he's scary because he's the exception to the rule that doesn't make sense. Or do you mean lovecraftian as in "swirly thing with tentacles"?

How eldritch are we talking? If it has problems understanding humans but sincerely cares about them I imagine that it would still accidentally hurt humans and then get really depressed about it, imagine a toddler that accidentally kills his pet fish and then cries about it

Jesus.

>Amelia
Now I remembered Amelia Bedelia. That's a good example of a eldritch being that is still friendly to humans while not understanding them.

Well think about it like this.

A lovecraftian being is to humans as we are to ants.

Now most of us don't care about stepping on ants, but some of us(like me) like ants, and avoid stepping on them. Some of us like helping ants.

So it's possible, but rare.

And some eldritch things are roughly human powers(old ones, snake people, and yithians), and can be nice to humans

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nodens_(Cthulhu_Mythos)
>Nodens (Lord of the Great Abyss or Nuada of the Silver Hand) is a fictional character in the Cthulhu Mythos. Based on the Celtic deity, Nodens, he is the creation of H. P. Lovecraft and first appeared in his short story "The Strange High House in the Mist" (1926).

Something that uses us the way that mainstream Lovecraftian gods use the lesser creatures. Something that uses us against... I dunno... animals? Fish in the sea, getting their competitors out of the way? Other aliens (transporting us across the stars to fight a war for them on another world).

>A lovecraftian being is to humans as we are to ants.

Half-right. To a lot of them, they're unaware that we even exist. To some of them, it is more apt to say that we're like glass beads in beachsand. We're just a completely admissible blip on a universe they just walk over with less than a thought. The terror comes from the sheer scale.

But we are perfectly capable of admiring glass beads that we find in beach sand.

>I fucked my own mother to create me for the purpose of sacrificing myself to myself to save you from my wrath
>Some of us like helping ants.
These. An eldritch abomination that "likes" humans would still be utterly incomprehensible, because it's operating on entirely different scales and methods than humans.

For a more in-depth analogy, what would you do if you "liked" a particular colony of ants? Give them a bunch of food? Dig out some firm yet pliable soil for them to build nests in? Stand around warding off predators during mating season?

Probably not. Most likely you'd kidnap them to stuff them someplace you could watch them easier, paint garish symbols over their nests affiliating them with WH40k factions, try to lure them into conflict with other hives so you could watch them fight, and other just objectively insane bullshit that the ants don't want or understand, but that fulfills your bizarre idea of affection and might be good for them in the long term, for whatever sick definition of "good" an entity like you is using.

>Probably not
Speak for yourself. I'm the kind of guy who throws washed-up starfish back into the sea and releases caught spiders instead of killing them.

How about one who treats humans like an environmentalist would treat an endangered species of ant?

>lovely glass bead
>pick it up, take it home
>radically alters the position of the glass bead
You're not doing the bead any favours and your attention irrevocably changes its life. Its silly, but its a silly metaphor. Even maybe like if our eyes receiving bounced light waves from the glass made it lesser or fucked it up somehow.

Or pic related.

Its a question of comprehension of scale. Even similar stuff to humans like old ones cut humans up to see what's going on and dgaf.

>Humans
>Humans are cool
>Humans like sugar, right?
>Eldritch god proceeds to spawn fifty tons of sugar directly on top of your home

cthulhu the sweetheart

She's damn well trying user

Soooo what would a "Jain" Eldritch being be like?

The flumphs

Kind like Nurgle's daemons

Treat cultists like we would a pet. What is the great old one equivalent of forcing us to wear a costume?

This. Humans disappear from their beds at night and wake up in a completely different bed in an uncanny valley city. Everything is slightly the wrong size and half of it doesn't work, like it was made by someone who doesn't understand what its for. The entire city feels weirdly "open" and sometimes people feel as if they're being watched - because a godbeing who exists adjacent to us along the fourth dimension of space moved all of the 4D "clutter" out of the way so it could see its pets better.

If you want food, there are diners, eateries, restaurants and homeless shelters evenly spaced throughout the city. No-one works at these places, food just appears on plates at these locations twice a day. You show up, take a seat, eat your food and then leave. No-one talks about it.

Want entertainment? There are several gyms around the city, all filled with workout equipment - even electronic stuff like treadmills or exercise bikes. You can drive cars too - just hop in one parked at the side of the road and go. Its push-start, no keys. Just don't try to take them apart. Without getting into details, they don't run on petrol.

There are no hospitals or doctors in the city. Minor illnesses - colds, stab wounds, infections, etc go untreated. Either you get better or it turns into a major illness. People with major illnesses are walking pariahs because most others know what happened next. At any moment a preson with a serious illness will disappear in a flash of something horrifying and unknowable. Then a few hours, days or weeks later, they come back, catatonic and dead eyed but perfectly healthy. These people slip back into the routine easily, going through the motions like a zombie. They don't talk to anyone. They rarely make eye contact. They spend the rest of their life shuffling around the city in silence.

>IT tries to understand these vibrations these creature ejaculate from their orifices.
>IT really does try.
>But it is so hard.
>First IT learnt how to translate their noises into knowledge, knowledge IT could actually understand.
>But IT will never stop.

angels

>Lovecraftian
>Likes humans
It wouldn't exist. Maybe Derleth is more your style.

Ane Naru Mono.

Didn't we have this thread a few weeks ago with the same OP image and prompt?

I thought you got good reception then OP. Didn't get what you were looking for?

Tsathuaggha isn't opposed or threatening to humans as long as you leave his temples alone.

Shub-Niggurath

I'm currently running a game at epic-tier in which the BBEG is an eldritch horror who genuinely loves and cares about humans to the greatest degree that it is capable. It sees the new universe it found as a genuine new friend, and takes great sadness that the conscious parts of it are all seperate, incomplete, and often suffering. It wants to take away new friend's *pain* take away new friend's *sadness* take away new friend's *forgetting* and take away new friend's *loneliness.* In order to endear itself to mortals, or *sad little hairballs with no scalp* as it calls them, it takes the form of small creatures that specifically trigger the cuteness reflex whenever it *dips its luxurious locks into new friend's loopy space* to make a three dimensional avatar.

It genuinely sees the separation between one individual and the next as the source of suffering in this universe, and also sort of sees it as a temporary lobotomy for a universe that it wants to make friends with, but sometimes *lonely hairballs* can only *see straight in loopy space* so they *can't understand* until after *grafting.*

This sounds like an awesome setting.

Dark City, if the aliens were doing it for shits and giggles.

The spider thing is good even if just because it's a practical form of pest control.

So they'd be the Great Race of Yith

You mean Jehova. Jesus is just the name of the fleshbag.

There's some ants outside of the movie theater where I work. Sometimes I throw them some popcorn near there hive. The popcorn lacks the mass to harm them even if it lands directly on them, and it's a pretty decent hunk of food for free.

I suppose the human equivalent would be occasional meteors raining down on Earth that cause no damage and split open to reveal, I dunno, delicious space chocolate.

Fucked up sympathy or affection, even love that humans cannot really understand, withstand or return.

Sounds like you mixed in bits of the Orz

Sounds like what you wrote had nothing lovecraftian in it.

This. So much this.

>collects humans into pocket realms and gifts them blissful mindscapes that eventually cause detachment and psychoses
>consumes their thoughts and dreams to learn more about humanity, accidentally destroying their minds with infinity visions

Hideous sweaters.

They're not even eldritch at all, just plain ugly

>all these plebs not understanding lovecraft
Why? It's not difficult. You don't understand and that's the end of it. Even if you could understand, you can't communicate it without succumbing to mind melting madness. Even if you somehow could communicate it, people would go mad from trying to understand it.

A benevolent Lovecraftian being is every Lovecraftian being, in so far as humans are utterly insignificant in the cosmic scale of things. Interactions with humans, from a human point of view, are a big deal, but from a Lovecraftian point of view, interacting with ALL OF HUMANITY is like brushing against a blade of grass in a field. It has no idea what impact it's had, positively or negatively, and it's so utterly inconsequential that there's no point registering that it exists seperate from all the other grass.

Really, is about as accurate as you can get. Some horrifying hodgepodge adopted into the consciousness of a culture that people constantly bicker about with no possibility for resolution. Concepts so alien to logic that they require faith exclusively because there is no rational explanation. If I was forced to write about it, I'd probably describe a benevolent lovecraftian horror as that finger family youtube video garbage. You have no idea what it's about, or what's going on, but it's trying to communicate to a mass audience a bunch of spoopy nonsense we have no hope of understanding.

>Humans
>Humans are cool
>Humans like to explore, right?
>Eldritch god proceeds to clone and atomize billions of copies of you and spreads your psychic consciousness evenly across the universe so you can explore every planet and star across the galaxy simultaniously

Don't forget that they aren't just in a ridiculously macro scale, they can be multiple scales simultaneously.

user, do you know what salt does to insects?

If it harms them even better example of a space god fucking around.

Elon Musk.

Fallen London and Sunless Sea have the Bazaar. Sort of. I'm not sure if it actually LIKES humans.

See, in the Fallen London setting, the stars are actually the eldritch gods known as Judgements. Their light is literal law, and enforces what Is and what Is Not, which is why there are so many bizarre things going on in the darkness of the Neath. They don't really care about humans, but it's implied that souls are the plankton they feed on, and they'll end you if you ever try to rise above your station.

The Bazaar is an interstellar crab/tower/thing that used to serve the Judgements as a messenger. It flies through space on "stone pigs", its tears is what creates snow in the Neath (and has horrible effects on anyone who eats it, or even studies it), and is coved in Correspondence sigils that will set your hair on fire at best, and make spiders steal your eyes at worst. Its daughter is a mountain that can grant eternal life, and its hired help are space bats. Unfortunately for everyone, it fell in love with the Sun. Since such a relationship would DEFINITELY qualify as stepping out of line in the cosmic sense, it's hiding out beneath Earth's surface.

So currently, the Bazaar is trying to find the ultimate love story, in the hope that it might finally convince the Judgements that love can bloom between an eldritch god and... a slightly less eldritch horror. It does this by transporting human cities into the Neath and then sifting through them for good stories. Unfortunately, it sometimes tries to take matters into its own hands; it deliberately creates huge problems for couples, or tries to force two unwilling people together, in order to show that love conquers all. On top of this, millennia of failure and loneliness has driven it into a drug-riddled depression. It's a bit like a dysfunctional child trying to play out a romance with her dolls, but the dolls are alive and would really rather she'd stop.

From the same setting, there is the Dawn Machine, which is an artificial Judgement created by a faction within the London admiralty. Its followers certainly seem happy, content and in good health. Not that the Machine would ever let them be anything else.

From the Caryll Rune Moon in Bloodborne: "The Great Ones that inhabit the nightmare are sympathetic in spirit, and often answer when called upon."

There's no J in hebrew.

>immaculate conception
>fucked

I'm thinking the Worm, from stellaris. Bloody brilliant quest line. Essentially a higher dimensional being takes a liking to your species. It consumes several of your top scientists, fucks up one of your colonies, sends rebel fleets to attack you, and eventually turns your home system star into a black hole. Time breaks down, as you end up with duplicates of leaders and ancient temples to the worm on your home planet. It's possible for your entire species' allignments to flip, but you get some insanely powerful tech and some populations that are naturally adapted to living on death worlds.
It fucks your species up, but that which does not kill me makes me stronger.

You know, I really like this whole "the horrible, incomprehensible eldritch being is actually very pitiable when you know more about it".
What are some other examples of it?

I tried to give the ants sugar cubes. But I don't think the ants could use the sugar cubes.

Next time I will try using grape jelly.

Neat

That sounds kinda fun actually

Well it is a monster girl story made to appeal to my specific tastes, but some wonky stuff happens.

Like the fact that he really doesn't see her until the end. She leaves him dead cows and talks to him by cutting up his walls.

A burglar tries to break in and that doesn't go down really well. The house slowly becomes more and more silent hill 3 as the old one wakes up.

They eventually do approach what we would consider a friendship(mainly due to the burglar thing), but the differences of perception were fun to play with.

I imagine it would be like the unyuufex. It loves people and tries so, so hard to communicate that love, but its mindset is so alien it's impossible, and the humans just die/go insane. But it still keeps trying, because it just loves us so much.

Traumatic insemination, when performed on human female, technically leaves virginity intact - both in medical terms (hymen intact) and ideological terms (never had sex).

That... that's basically my ideal paradise. Curiosity sated for eons.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned, but the Lamentations of the Flame Princess module "No Salvation for Witches" has a lovecraftian horror that likes humans. It took it a while to tell the difference between the entities it was speaking to, but it was outraged at the horrible treatment of women in the backwater province it was summoned in, so it gave all the women gifts to fight the (admittedly overzealous) witchhunters. It of course made everything way worse as it didn't comprehend human life any more than humans comprehended it. I thought it was an interesting take, and surprising considering the source.

Fun fact: the immaculate conception refers to the conception of Jesus' mother, Mary, not for Jesus' conception.

bullshit - of course there is a letter that can be pronounced as j/i/y - it is called Jod (י)

Overly coddles humans. If a human is about to die in a car crash the alien will teleport them to safety at the moment of impact, if humans attempt to leave the planet the alien sends them back to earth, when it comes to wars the alien will forcibly disarm both sides.

This has some real possibilities. Just imagine if there was a bro-tier eldritch god warping reality when we needed it most.

>A man survives a horrific tragedy entirely unscathed- perhaps his car is brutally totaled going at high speed, but he himself suffers no long-lasting wounds at all

>A woman finds unexplained reserves of raw physical strength when trying to save a child from danger, lifting an object many times heavier than she could normally even push

>It is the things that we cannot, and will not, ever understand; it exists in the crevices beyond what our understanding can encompass, and while we aggressively and continually push harder and harder, It knows. We will never know all. It will always have a home. It just wishes we would see that not all ignorance is bad. That not all facts need uncovering. Although there are certainly cruel things waiting in the dark, but without the shadow, there is no light. We will never know all, and we may never see. But that's okay. We don't need to.

What would a benevolent Lovecraftian being's idea of a waifuable human be like?

agreed

Terrifying but with a happy ending.

>What would a lovecraftian being that actually likes humans (not in a asshole-nyarlathotep way) act like?

Like this?

Using eugenics, and possibly experimenting with other modifications to "improve" the race, and culling half the population to keep it under control.

You might as well ask what a waifuable ant is like, in which case the human waifu would still be some kind of transcendental superbeing that's leagues and bounds above any other human.

I once made a setting somewhat similar to this. An eldritch superbeing thought mortals were cool, but he could barely even observe them without destroying them, much less help them in any meaningful way.

So he made a god for them. When that god didn't turn out the way he wanted, he made another god to stop the first one, and after a certain point, he'd kind of lost control of the entire thing.

>You might as well ask what a waifuable ant is like

So a human that has the eldritch being's intelligence and general look, but simultaneously retains some of the instincts and morphology of a human?

Closest thing I can think of is an even more monstrous yet nicer Whateley child.

>a lovecraftian being

Do Deep Ones count? Cause they seem happy breeding with humans, since any hybrid eventually becomes a full fledged Deep One. So they hand out treasure and lots of sex and any of your kids will be humanish for a bit before returning to the sea to be immortal.

Dagon seems like a cool guy...

Lovecraft got it wrong. Deep Ones and humans aren't separate species. There are no hybrids, or more accurately everyone's a potential hybrid. Deep Ones are amphibious in adulthood but juveniles are entirely terrestrial. Infant Deep Ones are indistinguishable from infant humans until they grow up and undergo metamorphosis.

Humans are just Deep Ones with paedogenesis. There's something wrong with us and/or a missing environmental trigger which prevents us from undergoing our full metamorphosis. We only develop our ability to reproduce in our land-living larval form as opposed to the gills and eldritch magical abilities we should get.

Presumably our ancestors were a few Deep Ones with some kind of metamorphosis-preventing genetic disorder so as soon as they moved too far inland for genetically healthy pure Deep Ones to come ashore and interbreed with them, they underwent a genetic bottleneck concentrating their traits. We're still cross-fertile though and there's a decent chance someone playing around with Elder Thing biotech or even conventional human medicine could figure out how to artificially jump-start someone's metamorphosis. Maybe even doing so accidentally when it turns out an experimental drug or synthetic food additive has the Innsmouth Look as an unexpected side effect.

Which D.Va skin is this?

Like a japanese schoolgirl, apparently.

Don't compare onee-san to that meme slut.

The current antagonist is very much inspired by the Orz.

Nothing wrong with bringing back a good thread.

So we're like axolotls? I like it

Poor Job, then.

Whats wrong with axolotls?

Here you go

>that finger family youtube video garbage
Fuck why'd you remind me of that shit

Oh, there's a good one.

You don't need to understand something to feel it. You don't even really need to have it's target's best interests at heart. It is unconditional, on every side of the equation and in every sense of the word. A concept that we barely understand, and yet it so easily drives our every action.

It's love, don't you see?

Would anyone want to read a thing I wrote about this exact concept? I posted some giant rant earlier in the thread, but actually wrote about it.

More like Pak Protectors with gills.

This is a question tangential to a problem I'm trying to figure out in a game I'm playing. In this setting some sort of elder one visited humanity and spawned a faction of mutated humans that ended up wiping out the rest of the world. They were directed to do so at the behest of the elder one in the interest of warding of the attention of another elder one. It ostensibly loves humanity, though you wouldn't know it based on the mutations or the atrocities and genocide its followers are part of.

Fast forward a few hundred thousand years to the present. Humanity is flourishing again but not nearly as advanced as it was before, no one remembers the events of the past, and the mutated people of the elder one are mostly dormant underground. Through a long series of investigations and arcane abilities granted by the unaware other-elder-one that the original wanted to keep away, my character has discovered something that no one else in the setting ever has: how to turn himself into an elder one as well.

I haven't done it yet for a few reasons, but one of them is I have no idea how I'm going to roleplay that. Should I still care about humanity? Would it be a more authentic affection than the other elder one that mutates its followers because my guy is born of humanity and 'gets' it better, or would the new perspective on the universe wipe out such notions? It doesn't help that the discovery is essentially a skip right to the end result with no explanation of the greater implications or nuances of the transformation, those will probably be explained when I take the plunge. But it's fun to think about in absence of the facts.

Imagine that gave everyone everything they wished for.

Everyone.

Everything.

Let the horror sink in a bit.

There's no real precedent for it, so just go with whatever you think works best in the narrative.