/bgg/ Board Games General: inb4 you didn't lable it Edition

It's time for "BUT YOU DIDN'T LABEL THE IMAGE" edition of /bgg/ because RPGfags will be confused!

Last time on bgg: Gaming Resources:

The Map: zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#

pastebin.com/aWmbgN7K (embed)

Do you support your FLGS? Why or why not.

What is the furthest away from home you've bought a game (in person or shipped)?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Yy-BoE7wLjI)
youtube.com/watch?v=Q1NsHryzKTA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The closest FLGS to me is an hour away so I buy from miniature market online. There's one in the town my girlfriend lives and I bought some x wing ships there once, the guys running it were pretty cool.

I don't understand what the caulk does or is for.

>Do you support your FLGS? Why or why not.
I dont, it's 45 minutes away, it's tiny so there's never anything I want, and it's ridiculously expensive. When I go there I try tu buy something, but usually, there's nothing for me to pick up. Too bad, they seem like nice people.

>What is the furthest away from home you've bought a game (in person or shipped)?
In person, I guess I bought betrayal at house on the hill in a city quite far from mine. (nothing crazy though, I dont travel much). Furthest away ? I'm eurofag, I ordered a few things from the US.
I used to order my swan panasia sleeves straight from Korea before a german store started carrying them.

>rolling both the dive dice and the original monster die
Heresy

>furthest away to buy a game
Amazon.fr shipped to a drop point so family could pick up a game for me and bring it back to Michigan, totally worth it.

Same reason playmats/mousepads are screenprinted on cloth that's glued to neoprene, makes it stouter. It's gotta be at least 5x heavier (might weigh the next one out of curiosity) and very tear resistant. I couldn't pull apart a 2"x8" wide strip once it was caulked, but canvas tears easily from a cut edge.

Also much easier to paint on, at least for me, since you've got a smooth surface that was designed for painting. Adaptable too; you can build the caulk into hills, give it textured effects so it looks like actual terrain. Likely why miniatures gamers were the ones who designed the method.

gimme some good hurricane tabletop to play for when the power goes out and all we have are candles

Jenga.

>Do you support your FLGS?
There is no FLGS around me, the closest is 140km from my hometown, while the closest shop with games, but with no events or anything is 34km from me
>What is the furthest away from home you've bought a game?
In person it was when i was on vacations on the other side of country, around 700km. Ive bought my copy of Warham diskwars there

Yes! It's not the biggest but it has variety, plus they sell at a 15% discount. 25% if you pre order which is pretty much as good as any cool stuff order really. I'm always hyped for their black friday sale of buy 2, get 1 free. I'm just a little sad that their play space is almost ALWAYS going to be covered with magic and the occasional warhammer guys, but if magic keeps them in business, I'm ok with it. Can always visit the fantasy flight game center if I want table space for boardgames and demos lining the wall.

Minnesota is a nice area for gaming.

Forbidden Island and Atlantis Rising seem like they might be good calls.

So apparently there's another COIN being developed - three players and two non-player factions with the Finnish civil war as its theme.

right, thread is a bit dead so -
I am preparing for my first forbidden stars game tonight with my friend (his copy). any recommendations or tips?

I don't have any but do let me know how you like it, I'm still trying to get my copy to the table

I played this game once. Not the worst thing ever, not my favorite game either though.

You might want to check Board Game Geek for any player help files. It never hurts to show up with a game play flow-chart cheat-sheet. Bonus points if you find a good one and make enough for all players.

Hey I'm back

Just finished the felt insert for the pit.
It took me way longer to make than I planed.
Might be me being just overcareful every step of the way.

Looks great.

Wow nice.

Interesting.

Wonder if the system would work with the Russian Civil War in general, but setting a game only in Findland is probably the right choice.

chupacabra but you have to keep the glow in the dark dice charged (still not sure how to charge the 6th face...)

Because there's no such thing here. The ... 3? Simply import things and oversell them at ridiculous prices that are up to 2x what it costs me to import them directly (which is already super expensive).

Played Great Western Trail last night. It was very fun, I liked that you have a lot of options and the game is thematic. But holy shit, did the game takes a lot of time? Even when we got the hang of things people were stopping at every fucking building dragging the game more.

Sadly it doesn't charge, not sure what Haywire's intent was when they designed them like that.

OP has it, Survive complete with sea monsters. Or get that feather game from HABA, should be interesting trying to blow a feather off your hand onto cards in the middle of 140mph winds

>Sadly it doesn't charge

a little paint would fix that, but yeah I'm completely underwhelmed by the whole glowing dice thing anyway. Had them under a halogen all day and I could barely tell they were glowing.

I was recently an absolutely HORRIBLE person to that one acquaintance. He kept pushing to play his games since he knows I love board gaming. First, he said "wanna play some connect 4" and I responded with a "HAH, yeah, no" thinking he was joking. Except he wasnt. Then later he told me "Hey have this neat card game, do you know about it ?" "Fantasy... Yeah, I hate that game, kids at work keep asking me to play it all the time and I cant take it anymore" (which is true, I working in a day care and the game is incredibly popular with the kids, and I hate every second of it, I play it nonetheless, because kids enjoy playing games with me) lastly he pulled out timeline, which is a fine game, but I really didnt feel like playing it.
Terrible horrible person. I left offering to show him some of my games one day. Which I still havent done...

Who else is a fucking heartles monster ?

Honestly I thought it was more a gimmick the game didn't need. The game is as spooky as it's going to get regardless of playing in the dark (which is not spooky at all unless you're 5) and the engraving on the dice is already really solid so why try to upsell them with glow in the dark?

That is damn-skippy good! Where do you live again? I'm totally not going to kidnap you and put you to work creating a gaming table for me. Trust me!

What is Veeky Forums's take on Robo Rally? I just unearthed my old set, and I plan on painting up the robots so I can get people in my group onboard to play it.

New edition has nicer game mechanics, but shit components (even the cards are shit quality); if you've got an old set it might be worth getting a new copy on clearance for the individual decks/player mats and making a frankenstein edition.

As a programming game it's massively polarizing, and lots of people will refuse to play it because of how it ruthless it can be. Colt Express is generally easier (in my experience) to get people into, and Dragon & Flagon is somewhere in the middle (less enraging, but requires heavy focus)

Thanks for the advice. I was reminded of its existence by seeing the flashy (But honestly shitty looking) new version for sale at the FLGS. I will have to take your advice and see if I can grab a second hand copy of it.

So guys, I want to buy a board game. I've got a small group of friends, mostly consisting of wannabe nerd girls and couple disgusting pervert tier lads. Which one would be better, Dead of Winter or Mage Knight?

They sound retarded, so dead of winter.

You're not very far off. Is Mage Knight any good though, might buy it just to play it by myself and with couple other friends if they're interested.

It's very solid as a solo game, but downtime between turns gets out of hand fast at more than two or three.

nice lad, come build mine pls

Dead of Winter is probably the best of those two options for your group, but be ready to set that whole thing up before anyone even comes over because it's a little time-consuming. Games running over 2-3 hours aren't uncommon.

My roommate has it (along with the Long Night expansion) and also got the broken token insert for the box for easier setup/clean-up, and it helps. But I wouldn't recommend getting that unless you all end up enjoying the game.

Sometimes I check in and buy something from my FLGS. Been trying not to buy so many games lately.

I had Onward to Venus shipped to me in the US from the UK so I guess that's the farthest.

Question: Twilight Imperium 3 or TI4 when it comes out? On the rocks, store has TI3. Haven't played it, I know it takes a long time which doesn't concern me. From what I keep reading, it sounds like the newest edition is more streamlined, with certain things cut. I like everything I've read about the political dealings aspect with other players.

TI3 with expansions has more content than TI4.
TI4 has more content than TI3 without expansions.

TI4 makes a few revisions that I like, (E.g. trade agreements replaced with commodities, tech tree replaced with tech cloud), and a few I don't (E.g. political phase has fixed timing at end of round instead of when the player with the assembly card chooses to activate it). 4E is certainly a bit more streamlined, but the difference isn't enormous, they're largely the same game.

Whether TI4 will eventually get back much of the cut variant options and extra frills that it currently lacks compared to TI3+Expansions is anyone's guess.

Good things to keep in mind, thanks. Everytime I see that box art with the mystic space lion dude I just want it, that's all I really know for sure.

How long until Shut Up and Sit Down end a reciew with "Fuck Trump and fuck white people"?

As far as I can tell they've actually been getting less and less political lately.

Read their Legend of the 5 Rings review
They might be getting less political but that doesn't stop White Guilt Quinns

I just started watching them a week ago and haven't seen anything to do with politics
I like them a lot more than TheDiceTower anyway

aside from those 2 everyone else either only reviews shit I already know about or has a really bad mic

Watch their five tribes or kemet reviews, those two are the ones that come to mind

Thanks
The irony is I would love to make another table.
Fix the mistakes I made. Make it a bit smaller,
use better tools and make lower.

I live in Iceland so helping you guys building one is Impossible. I could design another one, but that would take time and I would try to have another "gimmick".

>find out where user lives
>bring a van
>break in
>tie user up

um, why not just take the table at this point?

on second thought don't answer that. I really don't want to know.

>I like them a lot more than TheDiceTower anyway

Top Ten __________ List
1:43:57

I cannot, just cannot into theDiceTower.

>kemet
why does this come up so much or bgg? Is it really that good or is there one guy slightly more autistic than me posting about it all the time? which I realize was entirely and completely NOT the point of your post

>why does this come up so much or bgg?
Because it's fucking sweet as heck.

>why does this come up so much or bgg?
I've heard that it's just that good of a game but of course that's subjective. I bought a copy a while ago and I'm still trying to find a chance to get it to a table

>I cannot, just cannot into theDiceTower.
The top 10s are for background noise (except the live pair on gamers and game stores those are actually funny), actual reviews can be of value but the week in review is more useful so you can write off the weaker games.

TDT is really best at being a melange of everything, they've had hosts come and go on their channel (GBG, Nick the cringey weeb, Metzler, The Chief) but they always have a good half dozen voices that like various styles of games. It's not perfect, but it's more balanced than going to SUSD for party games, Calandale for war games, Rahdo for KS hype, Royal for solo play (and poorly manicured hands) etc.

Also Kemet is that good, but it's also got a fanatical fanbase like TI3, TS, Agricola, or any other very well recieved game.

>Royal for solo play
Fugg I never knew this channel.
Is there a rec chart for 1-p games? It'd have Hornet Leader, Mage Knight, and Spulk Dangel for sure.

>um, why not just take the table at this point?

Because stealing an user's hand made custom table is WRONG! 'Borrowing' said user while feeding him beer and steaks so he'll build me a table is "business". Any Sicilian in here will back me up on this.

It's on my to-do list; along with co-op, schadenfreude, print n play, and finishing the edits on the kids chart. Should get around to a couple of them in the next week, finally got some vacation time where I'm not booked.

Also any 1p chart would also include the Oniverse games (at least Onirim), more than a few co-ops (Robinson Crusoe and Ghost Stories are fun puzzles), prolly Viticulture/Scythe, definitely Friday.

Stealing the table would also be a bad idea because it's unlikely to match user's decor, what if he needs a game table to match french country?

>any 1p chart
One Deck Dungeon

are you accepting solo variant rules:
51st State (board game geek)
Clank! (see: youtube.com/watch?v=Yy-BoE7wLjI)
or is that too much like saying "just about everything"

also
>Onirim
is that identical to the android game because that is like slightly less rewarding than playing windows solitaire which is worlds better than actual solitaire with cards.

One Deck Dungeon is quite good, just not sure if it's one of those Asmadi rare genius moments or if it's like Fealty and will play itself out after 3-6 months.

As for Onirim, it's identical enough, but the variants (which are dlc in the app) make it better. The other games in that universe are quite a bit different from the solitaire feel, but that's the point of the game. It's just an upgrade from playing solitaire for the 6,000th time.

I'd say variants are definitely good. Race for the Galaxy (think it's in one of the expansions) would be up there, but that's also a problem with the entire purpose of a solo chart. There's a a lot of options if you include variants, play against a goal score, co-ops, etc. There's fewer if you limit it, and a lot of the table top versions are just as good in app form, with less bookkeeping. As an example, if you're solo is it really worth playing Elder Sign on a table or using the app? The app has a better theme integration, less fiddly, and more cost effective, the only downside is you're not actually rolling dice. Might end up having to do it as two charts, really good solo games, and really good solo games that have app versions for cheaper.

don't forget
>really good solo games that are only an app
because I've been meaning to bring up Card Thief. It's not possible to reproduce in physical cards (too many odd count +/- interactions for anybody short of Rainman) but I've been playing it for a few days and I really think bgg would like it.

This is why co-op, schadenfreude, and finishing the kids are in front of the line. Less headaches in figuring out how to categorize the games /bgg/, BGG, and the internet at large tends to endorse for those charts.

>all this effort
>still can't be assed to change the font

godspeed you bastard

Honestly I might've changed it if not for how hilarious it's been the last month or two when people started getting triggered over it. At this point it's not just about having an image to post when someone asks about converting their gf, I do it for the (You)s

They won't get any work til at least Monday though, today was a shitshow at work and I won't get a chance to caulk my canvas mat til Sunday. Plus the torpedo in the corner needs the aurabek stenciled on and a matte clear coat. Both those projects are taunting me since they've been half started since July

Say, what are some recs for games that are light enough for icebreaking and can fit 10+ players (the more the merrier).

Werewolf/mafia is obvious but I'd avoid player elimination if possible
Mascarade is another option I'm considering.

Two Rooms and a Boom is a great Mafia/Werewolf-esque game without player elimination.
Mascarade is fantastic, and has some of the best art in any boardgame ever, but I wouldn't use it for more than 8 if I had other options.

>2R1B
Wow, thanks! I'd totally forgotten about it.

We can't die yet

> Gaming related items are you working on if you aren't actually board gaming this weekend?

I'm prepping 'A Handful of Stars' sorting counters and laminating the player boards, and doing the same for my copy of Robinson Crusoe. I picked up a copy of the 2nd edition of R.C. for the improved rule book and some of the nicer components. That said, I may continue to use the 1st edition player boards since I was able to laminate them which means they'll likely survive longer.

Now I just have to get sleeves for the cards and I'm good.

I've got two - one's been the only game in town for years, and it kinda shows. I haven't been in there years. The other has a monthly meetup, so I usually buy snacks from there. I've bought games from there, but not for a while.
>What is the furthest away from home you've bought a game (in person or shipped)?
Do KS games count?
I really can't stand it - I acknowledge that it paved the way for better games, but it shouldn't be held up on any kind of pedestal.

did I ask that? LOL

but I have literally run out of games to organize and have moved on to greenstuffing a 3D relief on a box I bought solely to store my greenstuff sculpting tools which no one will ever see. I feel like this is a new level of REEEE.

I did get to play two player Clank! yesterday though and god damn it was gritty good fun. I lost despite grabbing the backpack and snagging the 20 and 25 artifacts in back to back turns, literally snatching the 20 out from under my opponent's nose. God I love games that are fun even when you're getting curbstomped (not that either of us realized until the tally exaxtly who was curbstomping whom).

>Do KS games count?
sure, I mean I guess purchased and backed are two totally separate things but the spirit of the OP is distance so feel free to ad lib with LDGFs, gate checking your metal Duel components or how you can actually play euros with spiders in Australia, not trying to be formal here.

It's also the cause of MtG, which has cursed game shops with horrible smelling mammoths; Robo Rally should be wiped from the face of the earth

Well, then I think I ordered something from Amazon France?

>did I ask that? LOL

I can't help it if your psychic emanations are leaking user. Perhaps you need a better tin-foil helmet?

>but I have literally run out of games to organize

That's an admission of serious slacking right there user! Don't tell me that you're one of those 'responsible' types that only buys games you're going to play.

>greenstuffing a 3D relief on a box I bought solely to store my greenstuff sculpting tools - new level of REEEE.

That can't be any worse than when Reaper or Vallejo came out with 'sculpted' paint bottles.

>I did get to play two player Clank! yesterday though and god damn it was gritty good fun.

I've got an RPG game I'm running coming next weekend (Mutant: Year Zero). After that it'll be a few more weeks before I can board game again. I'm thinking about having a "Martin Wallace" day with 'Hit Z Road', 'The Arrival'. and 'A Handful of Stars' as the games of the day.

I try to, but they rarely stock something I want and don't have. I'll make pre-orders through them for upcoming stuff with enough demand that I'd have to camp CSI for it, and recurring small things like Netrunner packs.

>What is the furthest away from home you've bought a game?
Grabbed a copy of King of New York at a game cafe in London that was having it's opening night the same evening I had a one night stopover there, and brought it back for my brother since his birthday was the next day.
Way overpriced, but I had some bongbucks to get rid of.

Not in person but slightly farther than that is the Heroes of Normandie stuff that I've had sent from France.

Lookin for a good 2-4 player abstract strategy game. These are the candidates. Which one do you recommend?

I'm really intrigued by photosynthesis. I'd like to try it out

get photosynthesis so you can tell us how it is

Occasionally, when they actually have something I want in stock at a reasonable price.

Shipped would be from the UK and in person would be from Canada, both of which are a long fucking way from Australia.

to be fair everything is a long fucking way from Australia. Hell even the grocery is probably a long fucking way, eh?

check out this video, it seems to give a good play through of it
youtube.com/watch?v=Q1NsHryzKTA

I'm totally hating the sun piece. I mean it makes sense but out on the board it's painfully awkward and a bit ugly. The rest of the game is cute, looks a bit awkward, but it's themed, there are trees, I get it. It would however be very simple to recreate this with poker chips, some old cardboard and a sharpie. Simple doesn't necessarily mean bad but really have to stop buying games I haven't played.

As far as the vid itself, passing the player marker is annoying the shit out of me. Just each take two turns. It's a two player game. Seriously triggering me.

That and, well seems like Carmen is not that swift, especially late game. I mean she consistently left points on the table, yet she won through no discernible strategy while Tim tried to maximize each turn, think ahead and really strategize. I felt like I was watching a game of sequence where nothing you do really affects the outcome of the game.

It seems like a pure euro so I can't imagine why that would be, however that's exactly the kind of thing that makes me really dislike a game, so definitely not on my list at the moment.

You could also check out Glüx and Element.

Only played Santorini, I really like it.

Is this good?

I have no clue but apparently it's getting a lot of buzz on bgg so take that however you want

I've only played Santorini: it's a neat little 2 player game, very similar to chess in that you're thinking 2-3 turns ahead, but it really doesn't work with 3 players.

Seems like I need to get a security guard to watch me and the table 24/7 from now on.

3 was better

So, I've been struggling to get a large enough group that knows the base game rules to try this, but I've been wanting to do a house rule to Secret Hitler. The few friends of mine that I've ran it by say it sounds fun, but we'd need at least 7 people who know how to play base Secret Hitler to try it, and we're all kind of friendless losers.

I want to include Karl Marx as a third team, and the Communist Track to the game. The way it would work is there's Karl Marx, the Alpha Communist. Then, any chancellor can choose to discard both agenda's he was passed, face down, to activate the Communist Track, he (not the president) can then choose anyone at the table, and they show each other (privately) their role cards. If either is a communist, they both become communists (unless one is Hitler, Hitler is immune). Whoever they pick is put in the Gulag, and can't be nominated next turn.

The Communists win when the simple majority of the table is Communists, and everyone else is immediately killed.

What do you think?

Cults in mafia are generally bad.
Cults in analog mafia with no mod to declare their wincon are worse.

But they'd all know who the other commies are

Has anyone here played Witchhunt?
I played it with my group last night at what might have been min plater count (7+mod), and there were some balance concerns.
The biggest one is that the judge felt far to strong, especially if the judge or even the apprentice was a witch.
Is this a common complaint? Do we just need to play with a bigger group?

label*

Meetup tomorrow. Should I bring two copies of jenga or what?

Only if it's one of those less bad versions, like the kind made out of 2x4s designed to crush small children when it falls. Or you could just buy a copy of Rhino Hero and give Jenga away to the downs kid up the block

I'm sorry you made the mistake of purchasing such a poorly designed game that you feel the need to do the publisher's job and fix the rules yourself, user. Perhaps do more research before spending money in the future.

That being said, your idea sounds like it just makes an uninteresting game needlessly complicated.

Have you ever played Secret Hitler?

Yes. It is a social deduction game that makes deduction impossible due to how random the game is. Normies buy it because of the loledgyreptilianhitlerXDDDDDD and, beyond that, there is nothing of quality to be found in the game.

Santorini is fun but word of warning, it really sucks at 3 and 4 players. Even the instruction manual advises against it.

What are opinions on this?

My opinion is that you should form your own opinion, rather than just going by some random dude's tweat.

He's partially correct and partially feinting ignorance for sake of satirical hyperbole.

anyone who likes games that reward quality play and chooses to play MoM anyway is in for a bad time. his fault for not knowing this ahead of time