Is there a more toothless attempt to come up with a fictional insult than "knife ears"?

Is there a more toothless attempt to come up with a fictional insult than "knife ears"?

You could always go with twiggers

I have a friend who calls the Faunus from RWBY "Tiggers". I think its retarded.

You could, but that's not the point. "Knife ears" sounds like something that was made to not offend people irl, and because of that it comes out as harmless and "safe". Like shit, nigger, even "tree rats" would've been better.

Tree huggers?

I mean, he watches RWBY.

I like RWBY

Kniffer

Try this:

Whenever you call out a knife-ears, break a bottle over his head. Then have you and your mates kick the shit out of him. Then call up your friendly Lone Star officer to take the keeb away for public disturbance. That'll teach them to get offended by the name.

Well, let's not forget that what is considered offensive is highly subjective based on culture and current time period. Hell, being called a punk meant something very different in 1980s London or a US prison today, for example. It's not unreasonable to infer that the context of the phrase, rather than the phrase itself, is what gives it it's bite.

I don't know.
What do you think the first black guy to be called a nigger thought?

Reminder that "Retarded" was a fairly clinical, inoffensive term that basically just meant "slowed". The offensiveness of the term doesn't really scale with its technical origin, you fucking retard :^).

Blame dragon age. Besides by that logic calling a chinese person slant eyes is equally toothless?

Well elves aren't fucking real, so it's kinda hard to actually come up with something that has some sting to it.

"I heard when an Elf and a Dwarf have sex, the result is an Orc."

I don't think I've heard of a racial insult that didn't sound ridiculous

>need muh cotton for dem rations

I guess someone has to.

I usually go with Twigger or Twiglets because they live in trees and are skinny like twigs.

Humanlets when will they learn

I mean nigger literally means black.
Yet its the biggest nono booboo word next kike and cunt.

>i want to say 'nigger' in character
>but I don't want to include any blacks in my campaign
>i know... TWIGGER

Veeky Forums are you serious right now

Nah I still will call Blacks nigger.
The only issue is that when Dwarfs are called dwiggers, Trolls are pretty left out

>Trolls are pretty left out

If trolls had been pretty right out you could have called them Triggers

Yea, because nigger was so terrible before 300 years of institutionalized racism.

It means dirt actually.

>it's not fair how people judge me by my words and actions!

I remember being 15.

In the setting I'm working on, the worst insult in elven society is the ancient orcish word for "prey", with all the connotations of weakness, subhumanity (so to speak), and cannibalism. It'd be like walking up to your average nigger and calling him "slave"; it may have been true in the past, but nowadays it's just an insult. Modern orc language has changed enough to make the word obsolete and obscure, so anyone (especially an orc) that says it probably means it.

But retarded and slowed both actually are bad and innately offensive.

You've got to do somersaults in order to get "Knife Ears" to look past all the positive connotations of knives and having ears shaped like them in order for it to be insulting.

It's an insult made by people too afraid to actually say something genuinely insulting to try and insult a race with very little that could be found insulting.

His point was that the strong reaction towards something that in the end is merely a word is ludcrious, so in eccense your argument (in relation to the context of the post you were replying to) boils down to "you should submit to any convention and social norm no matter how illogical or moronic it seems". This idea that you in your post support is far, far worse than saying the word "nigger". In fact, the deeds that made the word "nigger" a taboo word were possible by the logic that you now support.

The word originated as a neutral term referring to people with black skin, as a variation of the Spanish and Portuguese noun negro, a descendant of the Latin adjective niger (meaning the color "black")

It comes from not just the word negro, which is spanish for black, but also from niggardly, which means greedy.

I mean, people call asians "slants" because of their slanty eyes, and they really seem to hate being called that.

>real world insults can be stupid

That doesn't make a fictional one less stupid.

Instead of a reply, pretend I posted that picture of the four retards stabbing each other in the back while hooting about how free they are.

>It comes from not just the word negro, which is spanish for black, but also from niggardly, which means greedy.
You can trust this user because he didn't need to post any sort of evidence.

cracker

Was bitching about it in every slightly elf rested thread just not enough for you?

You're missing the whole point of a slur if you're worrying about that.

Cum skin. To be fair I only heard it around Veeky Forums.

It's a fantasy slur. If it's stupid, then it's actually more of an embarrassment to the author/user rather than an insult to anyone.

If you call some elf knife ears you do it for the same reason you would call someone a nigger: to point out an obvious difference between you and them. To creare a separation. Everyone can see that the elf has, in fact knife shaped ears, unlike normal humans: this makes him different, which means "not one of us", which means bad, someone you can't trust because he is obviously not the same as everyone else.

If it triggers even non-elves, imagine what it does to them.

I like Casper, because they dress up as ghosts and for all the shit they talk online they're friendly to colored people in real life

Carloooooos

But that just means it lines up with real slurs

Slurs come in two forms, word associations and direct descriptions. About the cleverest slur I've ever seen is "Mick" in regards to Irish people, and that's just a play on Irish naming convention, hardly brilliant satire.

That's wrong and you're an idiot. Negro is rather directly Latin based by way of Spanish, Nigard has more complex but entirely Germanic roots.

Except it's not stupid, it does everything a slur should. It doesn't matter if they're offended by it or not, their feelings don't matter.

It just means the author/user isn't clever and hasn't heard any genuinely clever slurs.

Hell, for the Irish, there's nothing quite as cruel as calling them a potlicker, because that's literally making fun of them because thousands of them were starving to death.

>positive connotations
Knives are a positive connotation for you?

Just make them bad then.
'Why are they knife ears?'
'Well their ears look like knives, but also because as a race they're a bunch of two faced backstabbing shits who you can trust about as far as you can throw their corpse.'
'Wanna test it?'

It is stupid though, because knife ears almost sounds cool. It's even worse when they flip it back on you by calling you a spoon-eared mayfly.

The fight scenes can be fun. Was convinced to play in a RWBY game and fucking around with trick weapons and semblance powers is pretty great.

Is there a more toothless attempt to come up with a racial slur than negro, Spanish for 'black'?

It's not about the words used, it's about the context they're used in and the history and mindset they invoke.

The true question is who are the fork-ears

>why are they called knife ears?

>because they have sharp hearing
>because their ears are angular and beautiful like knives
>because they're cunning sentries
>because they're battle-tested

And, with elves rarely being "two-faced backstabbing shits" in any decent game's lore, it really just makes knife ear come off as something only idiots would say, and not even the good kind of idiot who sometimes says something amusing.

"Knife Ear" is like calling a dwarf "Hammer Fist" or a halfling "Nimble Feet" or a half-orc "Night Eyes."

We don't use that word, it's hurtful.

It is literally a good and believable insult through.
>Roughishly untrustworthy

OP may actually be literally autistic. It doesn't matter how "cool" you think it sounds, you'll come to hate it after enough times hearing it from under some human's boots as he and his mates kick your shit in for being on the wrong side of town.

>Roughishly
roguishly*

But, it just makes people like you look even more pathetic because you genuinely couldn't come up with a decent slur and just had to repeat one you heard in a video game that coined it to be largely inoffensive.

It's the sort of thing where OP pointing out that it's idiotic is trying to help you out be alerting you to how idiotic you are for using it.

The best I can think of off hand were entirely by tone.

In Vermintide, when Kerillian accidentally shoots him, Saltzpyre will snarl at her to stop, calling her a 'tree elf.'

Dain, in the otherwise worthless Hobbit films, gets the excellent 'faithless woodland sprite.'

>I thought you Elves were good shots
The lines don't read like much on their own, but the VAs were absolutely perfect.

>"faithless"

Very rarely has anyone made one of these games where the banter doesn't get grating. The VAs bounce dialogue back and forth really naturally by comparison to most games and the longer conversations crop up very rarely so you don't sit through them very often at all, meaning that you can be 80 hours in and still hear new ones that it might be another 80 hours before they repeat, especially when you consider that some of these dialogue conversations require the party contains the right three people for them to say the thing.

It's a fair insult in the context of the film, where the elven king in question reneged on a defense agreement and provided no aid to refugees of Smaug's attack. Their presence at the Lonely Mountain wad largely in the interest of stealing a portion of the hoard.

>stealing a portion of the hoard.

You mean returning something lost to where it belonged.

>all this damage control because of nerds having fun with banter that targets a fictional race
Veeky Forums's autism remains unrivaled

>cuck ears

See this is why the sprite line mentioned by is good

If you're called a fairy or a sprite you're called a giggling midget of no consequence, possibly homosexual as well.

Stealing a portion of the hoard.

The only thing the dwarves did wrong was not pay the humans for the chaos they caused (wergild being pretty normal) and return their modest historical fortunes that Smaug stole.

Smaug never attacked the Mirkwood elves, there was nothing of theirs in there and even in the books he was known as dissolute and of poor character.

What about playing up the inherent gayness, like Elfag or something? Bottom-men. High Twinks.

Shouldn't the fairest of jewels belong to the fairest of races? That's indisputable logic.

Imagine. What a waste they would be adorning some dwarf. It's in everyone's best interest for them to be returned to the elves.

I'm gonna use that one hereon out- thanks user.

>niggardly
>synonymous with cheap, mean, miserly, parsimonious, close-fisted, penny-pinching, cheeseparing, grasping, ungenerous, illiberal
>illiberal
>opposed to liberal principles; restricting freedom of thought or behavior.
>synonymous with intolerant, narrow-minded, unenlightened, conservative, reactionary
>to be niggardly is to be conservative

really gets the noggin throbbin.

I guess I'm alone in this but I always thought Morrowind had shitty slurs.

N'wah is just relying on you unconsciously associating it with nigger
Swit sounds like they're calling you a twit or a fool

people that pretend to hate elves

>ywn have filthy, raunchy hate-sex with that elf in your adventurer's group that is constantly making smug quips, all the while calling each other the worst names you can think of

I feel things you people wouldn't believe.

My twigga

Because gay elves is a meme and there is maybe only a handfull in which they happen, and when it's not only elves but everyone being a sexual deviant.

Doesn't mean elves don't look effeminate. After all if you wanted to insult someone would you point out that his ears look weird or that he looks like a poof?

Niggardly and nigger have completely different etymologies you double nigger. What makes nigger such an offensive word is the intent and history of its use not what it literally means.

>Doesn't mean elves don't look effeminate
Depends entirely on the setting.

This. Racial slurs and the like always sound super juvenile. I mean, every time I see someone use the term 'mudslime' I can't help but picture them as being 10 or so. The idea is that the person can't sum up their beliefs or arguments or doesn't want to face scrutiny, so they resort to name calling.

People don't use the term mudslimes though, just retards on /pol/.

It is terrible. Good insults click off the tongue. They need to be short and punchy to convey the needed hatred. Look at how "nigger" survived as an insult while "negro" didn't. "Nigger" places a lot more focus on the hard, consonant sounds while "Negro" is vowel dominated. Look at how "fag" and "homo" survived as insults for homosexuals while "cake boy" didn't. Why is "homo" more insulting than "homosexual"? It's snappier. "Cunt" works as an insult, "vagina" doesn't.

"Knife ear" is too long and clumsy to spit in anger. There's also the fact that it sounds far too cool. Insults shouldn't make the insulted party sound threatening or impressive in any way. Insults like "slant" or "slope" refer to the shape of physical features, but they don't try to be poetic about it.

"Remember, lads, it's not rape if she's been with an elf before."

>racial slur
>mudslime

t. Mudslimes

I could only imagine "knife ear" being offensive if elves had a history of getting their ears cut

Hmm... I'm going to start doing this to Elves I encounter in campaigns as torture or defilement. Just cut their ears down to "normal", on both corpses and prisoners.

And a that guy was born.

Some artist had this done as a form of baptism.

If you're the only one doing it it's not really a racial slur so much as your declaration to the world that you're a crazy person that cuts up elf ears

Ultimately I'd probably opt for something like 'sprite' or 'fairy.' Not perfect, but it's belittling and short.

What makes an insult really insulting isn't the content itself but the associations and the social context. The insulting part of "knife-ears" is nit in how it literally describes the shape of their ears but in how it's used by people who can get away with killing and enslaving elves. Fantasy and science fiction slurs and curses always sound stupid because nothing is ever inherently insulting, only insulting in context. A curse cannot be more real than the world it inhabits.

except the elves in dragon age are all devious rats who deserve everything they get.

more the idea is to make it some horrible tradition humans picked up from orcs or something

found the treefucker

Fuck off keeb

I'd imagine if Tolkien elves actually existed, dumb white trash would be intensely unoriginal, like how Amerinds are "prairie niggers" and ME descent are "sand niggers".

Is there a more toothless attempt to come up with a real life insult than "jew nose"?