"We're sending the largest fleet that ever sailed. A thousand ships."

>"We're sending the largest fleet that ever sailed. A thousand ships."
>"I hope you'll join us - we could use more strong arms and sharp minds."
>"This war will never be forgotten - nor the heroes that fight in it."

Would your character fight for a foreign king, against people who have done him/her no personal wrong, for the sake of glory alone?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2paSWX2hdNI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

For what purpose?

Sure. Glory is eternal, wealth is fleeting.

>for the sake of glory alone?
>For what purpose?
um

>fight
>for the sake of glory alone

No. Pay me or I'm leaving, you twat

Depends on the reason for the war. Glory in a just war is truly a great thing. Glory in an unjust war is impossible.

and loot, right?

Goes without saying, chief.

Let's assume this foreign king's legendarily beautiful young wife has run away with a handsome toyboy prince from the land you're invading, and the king of the enemy land has chosen to allow her to remain with his son rather than return her and make proper recompense to your leader.

This. Glory was invented to get suckers to work for free. We're not running a charity here.

>this is what betas actually believe

Obviously.

With glory cames status, and with status came opportunity, which leads to wealth.

A well known warrior that fought in a important battle is more likely to receive good gold as a mercenary than a warrior that nobody know

Mercenaries are the hounds of duty.

>the virgin looter
>vs the chad gloryhound

In which case I would join the other side.

You gain glory by hacking your enemies apart. You're not a fucking judge, just and unjust is not of your concern

This would basically be a career jackpot for him. He wants knowledge and to track the rise and fall of cultures around the place, but because Player Character he has no real compunctions about trying to make the history he works to record more interesting. This is basically what he lives for, and he'd be good to have along too for an honourable leader, since he'd do his best to deny assassins or duplicity so as to force things to a satisfactorily massive battle or daring ambush.

What he won't do is lead the charge, because there's no convenient way to write a story about himself bravely smashing everything and not have it taken as bullshit. He has some academic pride, dammit.

I may or may not have come up with him and his organisation after asking the question "what if other disciplines treated their subjects like Indiana Jones treats archaeology?".

Depends on the character
My current one? no. But I doubt the high ranks will share that information with the rest and will probably say something to legitimize the war.

>Does not fight for money, never seen money in his life

Too mercenary for me, but I understand it works for some people.

So Illiad, except Helen wasn't stolen by Aphrodite, she agreed to run away with Paris.

I'd either join the other side or neither. If the daughter had been stolen, I'd join her father, though.

Bring your armies to his door and say "Your walls may stop arrows and spears,but they won't stop hunger.Give me the girl and beat your good for nothing younger son with a belt,or else we send a literal demigod to kill his much better brother."

>Let's assume this foreign king's legendarily beautiful young wife has run away with a handsome toyboy prince from the land you're invading
I wish they'd included the actual original reason why all of Greece came after Paris: because when Helen was first married, to ensure nobody complained at the choice or ran off with her, all the suitors had to swear oaths that if anybody tried to steal her away from her husband they would chase down the transgressor.

>wealth emerges from his glorious deeds and he cares not

>Would your character fight for a foreign king, against people who have done him/her no personal wrong, for the sake of glory alone?

Pfft.
If i don't get a share of the loot or the enemy isn't out to destroy my family and friends then i have no reason to do so,

>We never got an Odyssey film with Sean Bean as Odysseus
This is truly the worst timeline

It was never for fucking glory. Warfare implies gaining wealth in those times.

Just like nowadays we'll see people prop up noble reasons behind their obvious greed, they did the same back then. It's not so much that they are lying, they just refuse to see the truth.

There is no glory in murder.

There is no such thing as a just war.

Goddammit, Odyssey with modern tech would be so fucking sick.

>Sean Bean as Odysseus
But Odysseus made it back home.

No. But for the right price...

Does the fight look like it will be fun? If so, yes. If no... maybe.

for the record, i root for the virgin looter

Sure. Glory is a good enough reason to kill people and who knows he may be able to take a girl or 30 as slaves and concubines

How would that work?

>except Helen wasn't stolen by Aphrodite, she agreed to run away with Paris
>Women
>Capable of making their own decisions

Glory doesnt fill our stomachs pal, we need gold, wine, lodgings, and feed for the horses, but once we sign on we don't break contract no matter what the other side offers. Its bad for buisness to develope a flippant reputation unlike some sellswords aye?

Like the regular Odyssey except Odysseus has an assault rifle and instead of his wife's suitors trying to string his bow they try to shoot his 30 mm custom anti-tank rifle without annihilating their shoulders. The end where Odysseus slays the suitors with a bow is replaced with him gunning them down like a school shooter.

Depends on the setting.

'For Glory Alone' is also a little vague; I'd argue that hitting 17th level as a Druid and suddenly becoming immortal is pretty glorious.
Likewise if it's some shitty high-lethality setting I'll just fill the now highly in-demand field of glory-seeker in the direction opposite of the giant orgy of glorious mauling

You can have Armand Assante instead. Is better casting imho.
youtube.com/watch?v=2paSWX2hdNI

Wrong. Murder is the only possible way to gain glory, especially if we're talking about a society that saw manliness as a virtue

Would probably work, David Drake already did a sci-fi version with Cross the Stars

She cannot "agree" to leave. She married a guy, and is thus obliged by duty to obey him

you realize the Iliad also has the heroes participating in sporting events that gain them fame and prizes right? Life back then wasn't some 300 fanwank

Epic

>movie was the shit
>bunch of my bro's hate it
> because they insert like 10 minutes worth of romance into a 120 min' show.... and because the women act like actual women.

The life itself is fleeting, but glory...
GLORY IS ETERNAL!
MAY BE UNIVERSE TREMBLE WITH THE ECHOES OF OUR NAMES AND DEEDS!

(You)

No. Aphrodite made Helen fall in love as I recall. It was Aphrodite's reward to Paris for granting her the Golden Apple. Athena promised him the wisest wife and Hera the best mother. Aphrodite promised him the most beautiful.

There's a particularaly funny scene in the Illiad where Paris gets a minor injury and Aphrodite swoops Paris off the field and forces Helen to comfort Paris. It's all so beta.

That is a very fair point. I don't think I'd be willing to fight and die because a guy's wife is an adulterer. Kidnapped? Sure.

>wealth emerges from his glorious deeds and he cares not

>pays for all he needs by recounting tales of his exploits

>Aphrodite made Helen fall in love as I recall.
Lust, specifically. Not love.

Fair enough. It's been a while since I read it. Still, my point remains is she was unduly influenced and it wasn't really her choice to go.

One could make the argument that she simply should have resisted, and I suppose that's possible, but Aphrodite is a goddess. Greek mortals have a poor track record opposing Olympians. I doubt this was garden variety lust.

I know it

No, my character is a decent person who loves telling stories to children.

I'l come but I refuse to serve under any leader except Odysseus.

Until it's time to go home, then I want to get as far away from that nigga as possible.

you know after all the meming about how bad the movie was, when I actually watched it I was shocked by how GOOD it was. It has some issues (like pacing and length) but it does the swords and sandals epic thing quite well.

I think it would have done better if it had gone full fantasy and embraced the full wackiness of greek myth, had the Gods involved. Maybe even turn it into a trilogy (every film executives dick in 100 miles just got hard).

Film 1 can be the origin stories - in the original, we open with Menelaus consolidating his rule and peace being founded between him and Troy. We go more into detail of this, establish the meddling of the gods, the three way competition between Hera, Athena, and Aphrodite, Paris meeting Helen, etc.

Probably more along the hentai drunk with lust variety, ratcheted up to 11 because lolgreeks

I'm ashamed to admit this comparison occurred to me and I pictured Helen full aheago.

As long as I don't have to stand next to anybody who's already important. They'll steal my thunder and double my chance of dying before I can do anything story worthy.