>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Previous thread(s):

Other urls found in this thread:

dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso
belloflostsouls.net/2015/11/tutorial-heresy-era-imperial-fist.html
youtu.be/CoFMV7kHpFo?t=574
youtube.com/watch?v=cj3hS7vUIo4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

Oh yeah, don't bother with this for priming miniatures. it's trash and a meme.

If you absolutely must brush on primer, get a bottle of Badger Stynylrez (airbrush primer that can be brushed on manually, and has nice self-levelling properties) or just use automotive primers (Halfords Matt Black and Grey (500ml) is the best in the UK or get Krylon if in the US).

An empty wip thread? Don't mind if I do!

Swapped the legs on this captain because he was a turbomanlet.

What an absolute nightmare it was. I'll prep the miniature when I paint it, I know it's shitty now.

And some BA for good measure, to get the ball rolling.

This is how it was before, something looked off and the cape, fur, arms etc... didnt quite flow well with the pose

Second greenstuff project. A few questions:

1. should I expect this to stick to the raw wood, dry except for water during working?

I assume the alternative is to let these pieces cure then glue them back in place.

2. will there be any problem using greenstuff over cured greenstuff to build this up?

3. will there be any issue using milliput over either cured greenstuff or malleable greenstuff? planning to use for details.

4. I get a lot of tool marks and they don't seem to smooth out unless it's enough force to deform the whole piece. Is there a trick? What am I missing?

It's a pretty big model so I figured I'd practice a mini head with the bit left over. pretty bad for being all of 2.5mm tall.

Any other thoughts or advice?

Still need to apply some highlights and an icon on his back that I forgot about. I'm not a great painter, so I try to cover it up by using a lot of washes.

Noice, those finger nails are a bit clean though!

Yeah the leg swap definitely lets the torso detail breath, good call.

Looking good, don't be too hard on yourself.

1. It should stick yes, but you can always glue it back on if it pops off.
2. No, thats fine.
3. Nope, fine too.
4. Use a finer grit wet & dry sandpaper to eventually buff them out, and keep your tool wet.

My first dudes. Next week I'm gonna get a paint and try highlighting.

Has anyone here worked with converting Reaper Bones? I really want to turn this guy into an Inquisitor, but the central shield decoration has to go. How hard would it be to shave it off without wrecking the shield or the scroll?

Terminators WIP

feel like the bare eyes need something, looks like they're just skintone

looks like a good start otherwise

Gesso isnt a meme you shit it works fine.
The black is much better than the white in my experience

I'm going to paint my Death Guard with
>white armour with minor rust
>black cloth
>dark metal trim
>purple and blue fleshy bits

What would be a good colour for the smoke/flames and some of the minor accessories?

Should I go with dusty orange mars, black stones, or pale blue ice for the base?

Ugh, I hate getting sucked into this post, it forces me to actually start my knights!! But fine, I'll probably start putting some paint on them tonight or tomorrow....

Solid work for a beginner!
If you can paint inside the 'lines', you're already on the way to greatness
If you have it, try washing your gold areas with Reikland fleshshade or seraphim sephia

dusty orange mars, allows ez weathering at the base of the armour, and orange ties up the third spot colour so you can do like a pale orange smoke?

sorry meant for

Really nice so far man, helmets look great. Are they blood ravens? I'm not great at 40k colours/armies.

I washed the head with agrax but I guess I need to work it a bit more into the sockets.

I washed it with agrax since it's the only one I have now, not sure I'll get other shades just yet until I decide which models to get next.

Still a bit wip, but yeah, need to dull and dirty those nails, prolly been scratching those boils something fierce.

Debating on if I should base him like my BA, that is, like my creep board for armies on parade...

Cheers mate, they're gonna be Exorcists soon enough. Never painted terminators before but its been fun so far

Do these shields look silly or am I just worrying?

If you have to ask... now this is "just like my opinion man..." but they look really silly, impractical, and it looks like you're trying to impersonate Grey Knights... I'd remove them

Very silly, far too big for the models. Those are termie shields yeah?

torso looks like it's hovering too high above the "belt," it's making the legs looks too small, the amount of bling on top isn't helping either

I think they look pretty goofy mate. They're like twice as big as they should be.

Iron Knights?

Thanks for your feedback lads. Was going for Iron Knights, /wip/ suggested them some months back. Looking into getting the new Intercessor shields as they're a bit smaller, or just getting rid of the shields all together and just going for the normal chapter symbol on the pauldron.

I'm just a bit worried that an orange base, orange rust, and orange flames might be a little too much.

You could just cut the shield shape out of some plastic card. Would give you a bit more freedom with choosing how big you want them.

can do the flames in blue, green or any other color really.

I'm just getting back into the hobby after a decade out, I'd hate to get it over my head with cutting up things to be uniform. Doing the chapter symbol on the pauldron would give me more room to do freehand too, it's a pain on the tiny shields. Thanks though!

Still a lot to do, but getting there. Painting urge comes in fits and bursts.

Also, never paint without enough light. Went too heavy on the Runelord Brass highlight and what looked fine in the dim light looks meh in the sun.

Those are the third party ones, right? They look pretty good. You got some ideas on where you're going with them?

was bored waiting for a wash to dry on my leviathan so started painting some hazard stripes. makes me wish I'd picked iron warriors instead.

Yea these are from TMS (TableTop Miniature Soulutions) Check them out on facebook, and visit their site, lots of really really beautiful Warhammer fantasy models... But no, I don't know the specific paint schemes just yet, I want to do a sort of "themed" look for this unit. Maybe one or two common colors for the unit.

Nice! I love the skin and smooth coloring on the armor! nice

How do I paint tears on terminator armour's helmet?

How do I paint cheetah pants?

Convince him to take them off first. Painting them while they're on the cheetah can be tricky.

Ohhhhhhhh~~ ho ho ho ho ho!

PLEASE lads give me all the sources on painting Imperial Fists that you have

I'm begging

Beautiful model, pose but the armor is looking a bit..drab, I think it's the pauldrons. They seem a bit plain compared to the rest.

Prime grey/white
pray to the cheesehead primarch

Wulfen done. 6 TWC and 1 droppod left and I have finished an army that I built during 7th and never was used on the table. Probably never will now, cause so much has changed and I dont want to buy any more for this sideproject.

This looks great! Totally unrelated to your work, I completely don't get what's going on with this mini. Why is he standing like that on the corpse of a brother? What does he have in his hand and why is he holding it up like that?

belloflostsouls.net/2015/11/tutorial-heresy-era-imperial-fist.html

That's beautiful thank you

Keep em coming lads

Tears as in gouges or tears as in crying?

If it's the latter do you want it to look as if the helmet is actually weeping or like the terminator is a gang member?

I added a rope belt with decoration in that spot, now it's full and has a bit more bling on the bottom

He's an apothecary, the other marine is dead so he's extracting the gene seed.

I think they'll fit better as shielding for the bolters

or on the arms holding the bolters, like parry shields ?

>Why is he standing like that on the corpse of a brother?
He just ripped out the guy's geneseed so he probably placed his foot there to keep the body from moving in the process.

>What does he have in his hand and why is he holding it up like that?
He has the geneseed in his hand and is inspecting it through the magnifying lenses on his torso. The dangling thing is the storage capsule he'll put it in.

that works too

Omnissiah finally blessed me with a proper lam-Sacred illuminator

still WIP though

Layering is a tad messy lad, but you'll improve that in no time if you practice.
I like his pale blue skintone.

Weeping really, I do that on all my HQ and chosen but now I got a terminator lord and I'm just not sure how to pain it on now.

the grain is because I fucked up Priming, not because of the paint being thick, I heavily thin it. That orange has about 5 layers of it, if not more

Reposting My Dudes I've been painting up, been doing the base colours while waiting for my FLGS to get in some more colours

Why is Eshin Grey so thicc???
Can't thin it down

Greenstuff and wax paper?

What is a good way to make tusks/teeth or horns? How do you support for working? How do you cure?

Do the eyes before the helmet, friend.

Some freshly done 32 mm bases and my brand new chalice/cup.

I have a feeling the shot, and lighting is making these look a lot better than what they look like in real life...but for some constructive feedback, you may need to thin, as they look a bit thick in paint, and yea you may need to work on your order of layering and applying the colors

Have you shaken the bottle properly? Is it an old bottle? Sometimes it'll evaporate, I've had this with a lot of my older paints. My Shining Gold is practically glue.

For the angel!

yeah it looks messier in the pic then it does in hand oddly enough, first time painting in years so it's been a bit tricky

No worries user, we've all been there. How's your grip when holding the model? Do you rest it on a table and lock your palm's heels together?

I try to brace my arms against whatever's handy, or pull them in and kinda t-rex arm the thing.

You left on too many Blood Angel details, maybe?

Coming along

youtu.be/CoFMV7kHpFo?t=574

Think I posted this the other day but not sure if I got a response. Does anyone have any idea what colours to use to get similar looking armour to these guys? Looks like a very pale dusty green.

nids or guard?

I've been fiddling around with a darker armour scheme. But i'm unsure what other colours I want to contrast it with. I am quite a fan of the purple, but i'm unsure of what else to use.

How to snowy bases

First attempt at highlighting, think I did good with the red, not so much with the black, it seems to me that eshin grey has to be painted only on the very edges in a thiiin line for it not to look like ass, and then it's barely noticeable.
I wonder if it's even worth the hassle.

youtube.com/watch?v=cj3hS7vUIo4

Hey, good going!
One trick I like to use is to use the Eshin Grey on the black, then slap a thin allover wash (glaze really) of Nuln Oil, it blends the colours together and hides any wobbly bits a little.

Overall looking quite rad though! what chapter are you doing?

How do you highlite deathwatch and not have it look like total shit?

That one faggot asking for DW stories inspired me to build a DW dude with random bits I had laying around. I usually do IF so this is completely new to me

I've herd it's best to use dark blues for highlighting black.

Would gunmetal blue from Vallejo work you think? I don't actually have alot of blue laying around, never use it.

I would say the guys wearing dusty pale green armour rather than the non-green guys wearing no armour

Find some terminator should shield things? The little fuckers that attach to the terminators shoulder pads. Too lazy to get a pic.

you want oversnowed or just patches of Snow?

Thank you! Sounds like a really good tip.
I'm going for a blood angels successor chapter, I followed the Angels Encarmine scheme (except for the backpack).

how do you not freak out while painting? I have panic attacks over whether or not the model is good and they are never good. I love the hobby but im always on edge about it

I want to make my orkz into freebooters. Would a proper paint scheme suffice or will i need piratey parts

If anyone recognizes which logo I attempted to freehand here I'll be very happy.

only good bug is a dead bug

>I have panic attacks
is this hyperbole? can never be too sure around these parts.
Anyway, why do you feel that much pressure? If you don't like the results you can try again.
If the models are not on display nobody else is gonna see them unless you want them to.
The only way I can see that kind of pressure would be in a competition environment, but then I guess you'd have more confidence in your abilities.

If you can tell your results aren't good you can probably tell what the problem is though. So try to improve on that the next time.
You should see that as a learning experience rather than defeat.

Gold

>Would a proper paint scheme suffice
yeah absolutely.
Freebooters can be anything you want really. You could call your orks a band of mercenaries and use their own warpaint/iconography even.

The 3rd edition ork codex just had the models with some white dags as warpaint and appropriate banners/runes.

However if you want pirate bits there are loads of companies that do them.

If you want all of your ork to have hairsquig mohawks you can do that too though. Freebooters don't have a unified appearance as such. They are not a clan.

Currently working on Ahriman, haven't shaded any of him apart from the staff arm. How should I paint the skull on the right shoulder pad??

IT'S A GOOD DAY TO DIE

its a little hyperbole not fully. Im a huge perfectionist and always want my (what I consider art) to look its best. I feel like im addressing my imperfections but its never enough you know. im waay to much like slaaneshs followers wich makes sense since I love slaanesh