*Blocks your path*

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=E1wcuoxs4mU
yokai.com/sakabashira/
anomalyinfo.com/Stories/2008-aug-26-hachishakusan-eight-feet-tall
youtube.com/watch?v=S1qkBr7Rj3k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

*goes around*

Try throwing salt at it. That usually works.

*Blocks its path*

*YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOs your path*

*write his weakpoints down*

youtube.com/watch?v=E1wcuoxs4mU

Dude, like, c'mon. Scootch.

I love how a lot of Japanese monsters are just dickheads who'll fuck with you over some incredibly minor shit or for no reason at all.

>yokai.com/sakabashira/

It's a pillar made out of a tree that's pissed off that it's upside down so it'll just fucking moan loudly about it until you leave and give you bad luck to the point where your house burns down. Because you put it upside down. Not because you hacked it up and made a house out of it, but because you put it the wrong way up.

>DIET: resentment at being upside-down

*tweaks his nipple*

>I love how a lot of Japanese monsters are just dickheads who'll fuck with you over some incredibly minor shit or for no reason at all.

If you've got the time, you should look for:

-That Yokai wot's just a giant foot and it violently crashes into peoples houses through their ceilings; refusing to leave until people wash it.

-The Cyclopes Yokai born from abortions/still-births who spends it's life making and selling tofu.

i remember there being one that's a hideous, red-skinned demon child with a long tongue that creeps around your house at night and...politely cleans your toilets for free
#notallyoukai

>monsters that aren't even all that scary
>just really fucked up
Goddammit Japan....

It's reasons like these that the Japanese took to Lovecraftian stories like a duck to water, you know. Some of the earliest theatrical adaptations of HP Lovecraft stories came from japan in the goddamn 30s.

quite simple how to deal with it, you trip it.

Sweep the leg and it'll be knocked down.

Try spinning, that's a good trick.

From a certain point of view, perhaps.

Other Yokai that come to mind are:

-The really famous one that walks on it's hands and feet with it's ass hanging up in the air because it has a giant eyeball for an anus with which it uses to spook or startle people.

-There's that really beautiful female Yokai who's supposed to be the 'ideal wife' because she never eats, but she's actually just lying and has a large gaping maw-mouth on the back of her head that she has to feed roughly 4x as much food as a normal person.

-I also vaguely remember there being a Yokai that's literally just a large orange-black-white spotted chubby guniea pig creature that watches or stalks people while they're by themselves on roads at night. It basically just causes the feeling of being watched.

There's one yokai that looks like a baby, and when people approach it on the road it starts crying loudly, but if you pick it up it suddenly increases in weight, causing its victims to fall back and suffocate under the weight.

So Japan has always been this fucked up and it wasn't our nukes at all, eh? Outstanding.

No surprise, but have they made an actual movie yet? Because a Japanese Color out of Space would be the tits.

>-That Yokai wot's just a giant foot and it violently crashes into peoples houses through their ceilings; refusing to leave until people wash it.

Wasn't that an episode of Courage: The Cowardly Dog?

and a massive child molester

>I love how a lot of Japanese monsters are just dickheads

Sometimes literally.

>and a massive child molester

She's actually a new one- invented/spooked into existence as of 2008.

The Hachishaku is an 8ft tall Yokai that takes the shame of an unnaturally pale, big-breasted, generally "attractive" woman in a white summer dress, hat, and shoes. She mostly stalks underage boys to reverse-rape and then eat, but I also heard she'll rarely go after young single men who live at home?

Her only other spooky quality is she's got a deep-masculine natural voice, but can replicate or mimic the 'sound' of anybody else's voice that she hears whether in person or on tv, radio, etc.

I remember that last one because the only way to 'protect' a boy who the Hachishaku finds attractive is to basically lock them in a room 'till she loses interest. She'll spook anyway in her way and then try to convince her victim to let her in by mimicking voices and lying, etc..

I read an interesting theory somewhere that most Western monsters are big animals or combinations of animals and people because there were large tracks of uncivilized land that you could get lost in. So parents told their children stories of the big ass, 9 headed lion fish that lives in the river over there, so don't play there ok?

Meanwhile all of Japan was basically known and mapped out since it was just an island. So all there monsters are about teaching kids to be polite in social situations and why certain people look the way they do

Not like Japanese have any problem with caste systems. The nail that sticks up gets hammered down and all that. But not all nails are the same, and you don't just use nails to make a house. Rather their folklore gives a, explanation to supernatural events.

Japanese blacksmiths tended to lose the use of a leg from using bellows and/or an eye from looking at hot iron all the time(see Tatara furnace.) This became ingrained into a lot of folklore about skilled blacksmiths only having one eye. There are a fair number of one-eyed youkai and even gods that are associated with blacksmiths.

it's kind of a consequence of the whole shamanist approach to their mythology and lore. When a core tenant of a religion is "god is good and does miracles, if it's not god it's evil" it's natural that all supernatural concepts get pigeonholed into being innately aggressive. But when your religion is "all things are magic, some things are just more/less magic than others" then any time something needs to be explained it can just get handwaved as supernatural with zero moral implications.

In a really cool way you can see how a lot of things like yokai or ayakashi are just the Japanese looking at what we now think of as our mind playing tricks on us and just took that feeling as evidence that "something" made your hair stand on end, or you look over your shoulder, or your kid say, "but I don't want a new toy, I want MY toy" and the answer is basically always just "spirits and shit, bro."

Have you been reading Professor Munakata?

See, that's funny because you still get big-ass-monstrous Yokai.

-The Omukade is a giant centipede that grows long and massive enough to eat livestock and even entire villages. They grow so big they'll eat even DRAGONS, but human spit is LETHALLY TOXIC to them??

Fun fact: an RPG Maker horror game revolving around Japanese You kai, and Demons, including obscure things like the Kotoribako (Little Bird Box), and the Ryumen Shukuna, actually used the Hachishaku as a main enemy.
>Pic related.

>The Hachishaku is an 8ft tall Yokai that takes the shame of an unnaturally pale, big-breasted, generally "attractive" woman in a white summer dress, hat, and shoes. She mostly stalks underage boys to reverse-rape and then eat, but I also heard she'll rarely go after young single men who live at home?

Except for the eating part, not seeing a problem

Sounds like a supernatural final solution to Neets though

From my point of view the path is evil.

Doe she actually rape in her debut story? I remember it being more like Slenderman with us having no idea what she actually did, and also being depicted as significantly more frightening than she's usually depicted now. I'm also like positive you added the big-breasted part in considering the firts game to give her publicity had her NOTICEABLY FLAT.

It's never actually revealed what Hachi does in the post she debuted in, only that she speaks in a relative's voice to lure children and is generally Japan's take on Slenderman. It's more implied she eats them than anything else - the rape stuff was added on by horny NEETs later, the same way Kuchisake-onna is often oversexed in degenerate fanart despite her defining action being disembowling you with scissors.

There's a youkai that's a giant skellington. What did that one do?

This better be Fatal Frame.

Also we desperately need a God of War/Asura's Wrath-like game set in Japan.

Fatal frame, yep. They added her as a side-quest I believe? She's what lead to a lot of people both in japan and the west learnign about her internet legend.

IIRC, the giant skeleton is the embodiment of famine and hunger and eats everything.

>God of War/Asuras Wrath in Japan

Not the same genre, but Ni-Oh

I find it kind of odd you're trying to spread this misinformation despite her debut story being publicly read-able on the internet.

anomalyinfo.com/Stories/2008-aug-26-hachishakusan-eight-feet-tall

Clearly the poster of this misinformation is a Yokai trying to trick horny teens into opening their door

Does Hachishaku-sama go after girls? Do reply quickly, the door isn't holding.

If I'm CORRECT, the person's research in the story she debuted simply referred to her target group as children and also evidently grandpas that tattletale on her.

Speaking of off-topic video games, should I/do I need to play the first FF to enjoy the second/third?

>There's a youkai that's a giant skellington. What did that one do?
Gashadokuro. Literally invisible to most people, emitted an utterly nightmarish sound, and ate everything in its path, draining the blood of people in order to grow stronger.
>The Gashadokuro are spirits that take the form of giant skeletons and are fifteen times taller than an average person, said to be created from the amassed bones of people who died of starvation or in battle, without being buried. These Yōkai roam after midnight, grabbing lone travelers and biting off their heads to drink their spraying blood. There is a tell sign as the victim would hear the sound of loud ringing in the ear. The Gashadokuro are said to possess the powers of invisibility and indestructibility; though Shinto charms are said to ward them off

>The Cyclopes Yokai born from abortions/still-births who spends it's life making and selling tofu.
I'd have expected the spirit of an aborted/stillborn child to want to take revenge on people for never being born or something, but instead it gets a job and becomes a contributing member of society. Suprisingly mature for an undead demon-baby. Good for it.

>walks off
>comes back with scroll with 'PATH IS CLOSED: PLEASE USE DETOUR' written on it'
>places it in nurikabe's hands and walks off

Odd that where most mythologies put their spooks at sea the Japanese put them where everyone can find them if unlucky.

The people of the british isles were also like that, honestly. It's kind of crazy how similar fae and youkai are. Maybe it has to do something with the island factor.

The ringing is tinnitus

>biting off their heads to drink their spraying blood

Jesus christ.
All the goofy, inoffensive, Yokai didn't prepare me for the violent, brutal, evil ones.

>She's actually a new one- invented/spooked into existence as of 2008.
>The Hachishaku is an 8ft tall Yokai that takes the shame of an unnaturally pale, big-breasted, generally "attractive" woman in a white summer dress, hat, and shoes.
Hasshaku didn't do anything wrong Po~po~po!

>only to bump into it at the next turn.
>And the next turn.
>And the next...

Good thing it is blocked then!

>All the goofy, inoffensive, Yokai didn't prepare me for the violent, brutal, evil ones. Here's how Shuten Doji, amongst the three most evil Yokai, came into being.
There are quite a few of those. Most of the time the Japanese apparently didn't bother with the things, either leaving the areas they infested, or just waiting until the damn things burnt themselves out, in the case of Gashadokuro.
>Before he became a legendary monster, Shuten dōji was a troublesome orphan child. He was very strong and very smart; so much so that people believed his father must have been a demon or a dragon. At an early age he was apprenticed to the Mt. Hiei temple complex and became a monk. However, monastic life did not suit him. He was disrespectful, he got into fights with the other monks, and he was lazy in his studies. He spent most of his time drinking sake, which is how he earned the nickname Shuten dōji, or “little drunkard.”

>One night during a festival, Shuten dōji got really drunk and decided to play pranks. He put on an oni mask and snuck around the festival, jumping out of the darkness and scaring festival-goers. After the festival, he was unable to take the oni mask off. It had fused to his face, becoming a part of his body. When he sought help from the abbot, he was scolded for his wickedness. He was mocked and teased by the other monks for his ugliness. His heart became like an oni too – wicked, and full of anger. Shuten dōji left the monastery and fled into the mountains to live as a hermit.

Good thing Nasuverse prepared me to fight this monstrosity.

I prefer this version

Doesn't live as a hermit.
A certain other 'person' does, however.

Best yokai species. Best wife material.

I do not trust that smile.

Oh hell. Forgot about that artist. Still, horny mystical fox waifus. Aside from Tamamo no Mae. She's terrifying.

Came here to post this
What have I become

Hope you like ballbusting, because that art style means ballbusting.

Tamamo is great.
People just misunderstand her all the times.
Next time you tell me that Daji was in the wrong?

Daji?

>Tamamo is great.
>People just misunderstand her all the times.
Tamamo No Mae can and -will- tear your beating heart out of your chest whilst laughing sadistically as you sputter on the ground and die. And you can't do anything to stop her because she is basically a deity in her own right.

Fearboner, why?

>So you see child, never spit. If it's lethal to the Omukade, think of what it'll do to someone who steps in it!

what fucking leg that's a brick on two feet my fuckin DUDE

I loved those gyus in Okami.
But then again I loved everything in Okami.

Kasen's based off Ibaraki-doji not shuten doji- shuten never got their arm cut off while ibaraki did.

well shit, I stand corrected.

In a Russian fairy tale, a wicked priest learns that one of his followers got a lot of money as a gratitude from some folk creature. In the middle of the night, priest covers himself in a goat skin wakes that person up and claims that he is a devil and he will take the man's soul unless he gives up his unjustly gained riches. Upon taking the gold from a frightened man, he returns home and tries to take the goat skin off, but turns out it has merged itself to his body. He returns the gold, but that doesn't help, and he has to live the rest of his life in exile as a furry.

They're supposedly from the same place, so it's not that hard a mistake to make.

baaa nu cheeki breeki?

IIRC, Ibaraki-doji was Shuten-doji's lieutenant

cyka bleat!

>I loved those guys
>Oni Island Blockhead
Fuck you.

Its a fox. You shouldn't trust its anything.

Goat out of here, Stalker.

I can't believe she's younger than Polybius.

Think Japanese shit is terrifying? Check out this fucker. Koschei the fucking Deathless.
>In Slavic folklore, Koschei (Russian: Кoщéй, tr. Koshchey; IPA: [kɐˈɕːej], also Kashchei or Kashchey; Ukrainian: Кocтiй or Кoщiй, Kostiy or Koshchiy; Polish: "Kościej"; Czech: "Kostěj") is an archetypal male antagonist, described mainly as abducting the hero's wife. In Vitali Vitaliev's book Granny Yaga he is described as tall and although in excellent health, extremely, almost inhumanly, thin. The author then explains that Koshchei—in the old Krivichi dialect—means "skeleton". In book illustrations, cartoons and cinema he has been most frequently represented as a very old and ugly-looking man. Koschei is also known as Koschei the Deathless (Russian: Кoщéй Бeccмépтный, Ukrainian: Кocтíй Бeздýшний or Кoщíй Бeзcмépтний, Czech: Kostěj nesmrtelný), Polish: Kościej nieśmiertelny) as well as Tsar Koschei. As is usual in transliterations, there are numerous other spellings, such as Koshchei, Kashchej and Kaschei.

>Koschei cannot be killed by conventional means targeting his body. His soul (or death) is hidden separate from his body inside a needle, which is in an egg, which is in a duck, which is in a hare, which is in an iron chest (sometimes the chest is crystal and/or gold), which is buried under a green oak tree, which is on the island of Buyan in the ocean. As long as his soul is safe, he cannot die. If the chest is dug up and opened, the hare will bolt away; if it is killed, the duck will emerge and try to fly off. Anyone possessing the egg has Koschei in their power. He begins to weaken, becomes sick, and immediately loses the use of his magic. If the egg is tossed about, he likewise is flung around against his will. If the needle is broken, Koschei will die.

>koschei
laughingbabayaga.tapestry

So he's a lich (or, rather, THE lich) and his phylactery is really complicated?

A lich that tries to steal your wife for some reason.

And Baba Yaga dug up the chest, and stole the hare. Now he's HER bitch.

Baba-Yaga is some serious shit herself, don't forget. No matter how much modern media tries to dumb her down, she is still pretty much THE Witch.
>The first clear reference to Baba Yaga (Iaga baba) occurs in 1755; Mikhail V. Lomonosov's Rossiiskaya grammatika ('Russian grammar'). In Lomonosov's grammar, Baba Yaga is mentioned twice among other figures largely from Slavic tradition. The second of the two mentions occurs within a list of Slavic gods and beings next to their presumed equivalence in Roman mythology (the Slavic god Perun, for example, appears equated with the Roman god Jupiter). Baba Yaga, however, appears in a third section without an equivalence, attesting to perception of her uniqueness even in this first known attestation.

>In the narratives in which Baba Yaga appears, she displays a variety of typical attributes: a turning, chicken-legged hut; a mortar, pestle, and sometimes a mop or a broom. Baba Yaga frequently bears the epithet "bony leg" (Бaбa-Ягa Кocтянaя Hoгa, Baba Iaga Kostianaya Noga), and when inside of her dwelling, she may be found stretched out over the stove, reaching from one corner of the hut to another. Baba Yaga may sense and mention the "Russian scent" (pyccкий дyх, russky dukh) of those that visit her. Her nose may stick into the ceiling. Particular emphasis may be placed by some narrators on the repulsiveness of her nose or other body parts

my nigerusamas

also, Hachisaku-tan is not Kuchisake-tan
but they are both classy killers

Slavic myths poping up in asia mythology thread instantly reminds me of that one USSR cartoon about heroes swaping which princess they are saving
youtube.com/watch?v=S1qkBr7Rj3k

>not waifuing sexy fox KALI MA
No taste detected.

>not trusting the fluffy tails
fluff doesn't lie

He is usually a decent person, though. Definitely evil, but he is honorable, shows hospitality to his guests, mercy to enemies and gratitude to those who helped him. A violent and cruel warlord, but not some child-eating monstrosity.
Which is actually pretty interesting. Baba Yaga is a wicked disgusting cannibal, but often helps the protagonist, while Koschei has overall much better personality, but still is always the main antagonist of the story.
If you disregard the weaknesses and go only by his abilities, he is more of a high-level vampire. While he definitely has supernatural powers like flight or corrupting presence, in combat he just goes wild with a sword instead of casting.

We Slavs knew how to make scary shit. For instance, this is Homen, a procession of the dead made of people who died from the plague, chasing the ones running away from the cities to escape the Black Death. Pic is from my Slavic Beastiary.

>slavic beastiary
post more

Two fat fully illustrated tomes containing stories and origins of various monsters from Slavic (but mostly Polish) mythology.

>We Slavs knew how to make scary shit.

The only really obscure or weird Slavic monster I know of is this species of River Nymph.

They're called Nix or Neckers or something with an N and the deal is they loiter around the water's edge or in the lakes themselves and are described as incredibly beautiful, with -and I quote- "Breasts like bags of flour", like, to the point that when they need to run or hustle, they'll throw their tits over their shoulder.

>They're called... Neckers
>"Breasts like bags of flour"

Wait a minute...

Well, we have tons of weird water ladies.

I've only heard Necke as the Scandinavian/Finnish (Finnish version is called Näkki but is essentially the same creature) water spirit. It looks like a handsom man and lures people to the water by playing a fiddle so it can drown them.
The Russian water nymphs are called Rusalki (singular Rusalka), and look like beutiful, usually redheaded, women, who lure you to water and drwon you, possibly by tangling you with their hair to keep you underwater and tickling you untill you run out of breath.