/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/the-labor-party-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
Why does Fate/zero come up so often? And how is it WOD like?
>5th edition cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

Other urls found in this thread:

theonyxpath.com/drawn-to-the-flame/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Why does Fate/zero come up so often? And how is it WOD like?

It's as 'WOD like' as any other urban fantasy setting. Nothing special about it.

It's part of a popular Japanese franchise and the demographics of the site means that folks will naturally like it and want to tie it to other things they like. They're not very similar at all, though.

Type Moon is a setting where the main 'splats' are vampires and mages [and Heroic Spirits]. The vampires work a LOT like Masquerade, the mages work a LOT like Awakening, so there's a lot of crossover in concepts.
I don't think its all-encompassing as you're saying, and furthermore aren't most Obsessions related to the supernatural?

Dissecting vampires also is not scary.

CRAWLING IN MY SKIN.
THESE WOUNDS THEY WILL NOT HEAAAL!

>Why does Fate/zero come up so often? And how is it WOD like?
Its because pretty much every anime fits the edgelord beats of WoD to a T.

Leave it in the last shitty thread.

>I don't think its all-encompassing as you're saying, and furthermore aren't most Obsessions related to the supernatural?
As you raise your Gnosis you literally lose touch with mundane reality, you can hold more Obsessions, and you carry a greater risk of Paradox. Please read the book or shut your fucking mouth.

>jackasses still want to argue about Awakening when they so clearly know nothing about it
Guess I'll come back later.

Weebs thinking Fate is special because it aligns with WoD when literally every fictional piece ever does.

>check 2e book
>literally no mention of Gnosis making you lose touch with mundane reality
>several of the Pentacle Orders revolve around Sleepers
>several of the Archmage cliques revolve around Sleepers
>the Obrimos gnosis-increase literally involves you seeing the burning potential of even the most insignificant. Not only do things not fall into the backdrop, they burn with intensity in your vision.

Please actually read the book instead of just accusing others of not reading it.

I like the idea. I once tried to port some West Marches structural ideas to WoD but didn't have enough players to make the model work.
Recommend a MU*

The fact that you morons don't *get* Mage is what scares me most about the line. Yeah, Awakening is scary shit. You literally have no idea what power does to people.

Hey dumb cunts, leave it in the last thread, got it?

>"Nuuuu seriously guys, humans are super edgy when they get power! They don't just get hookers and blow, they farm babies! Its super spoopy guys!"

How do you do XP with a west marches approach?

That's exactly why it isn't scary to me. If I wanted demonstrations of what the corrupt and powerful can do, I could look into the politics of basically any nation on earth and find things on par with most of what the Seers do.

The only thing that's uniquely horrifying is Archmage retroactive reality changes, but those are also why they're garbage for any game that isn't World of Archmages (and those other guys).

yeah i guess superhero power fantasies are pretty scary

>If I wanted demonstrations of what the corrupt and powerful can do, I could look into the politics of basically any nation on earth and find things on par with most of what the Seers do.
Thinking torturing people for profit isn't horrifying doesn't really change the underlying fact that most people consider it to be.

Didn't change it. Why would you change it and how?

My ST uses attacks of opportunity in my 2ed vamp game. Question: does this break the game?

The whole thing sounds similar to a LARP set up,. so I'd assume usually slower growth rates to attempt to keep disparate groups at least similar XP wise.

It's explicitly mentioned in 1e and a theme that is still reflected in 2e. As I said, more Obsessions, a greater risk of Paradox, and if you go high enough you can even permanently have stats beyond the human maximum. And the Silver Ladder and Free Council being Sleeper focused doesn't mean they stay in touch with mundane reality. Their reasons for caring about Sleepers are very much in line with supernatural concerns.

You mean surprise attacks? Or does your st have them constantly going off multiple times per combat?

>Recommend a MU*

They only end in misery. Don't say I didn't warn you.

There's a couple out there now. Not sure what their status is. Fallen World Mux is a mage game. Shadows over Reno is some sort of mix of Hunter, Vampire and Werewolf. Sheltering Sky: Colorado by Night is new. I never knew what Eldritch was. Fallcoast is some kind of sandbox thing now. Somehow, and in spite of its playerbase, GarouMUSH still lives. RIP COFAB and Requiem for Kingsmouth.

>Banishers aren't scary
>Left-Handed Mages aren't scary
>Seers aren't scary
>enemy Pentacle Mages aren't scary
What exactly would make you consider them scary, then?

Don't bother that fag is just a tough guy, anything is scary with good delivery.

attacks of opportunity from Dnd. Moving through enemy squares gives them the enemy a free attack

Considering a three attacks are really all you'd ever possibly need to end 1v1 combat in any gameline, and if they function like an 'area of effect' like how they work in most D&D and equivalent games how I'm thinking, it's a ridiculous advantage to hand-to-hand combatants.

I don't think that's necessary. If it starts to look necessary later on, you can introduce a way to benefit less frequent players like a flat weekly uptick in addition to normal XP, or an "off the bench" bonus which gives a character more XP if it's been longer or more sessions since they last appeared.

Giving bonus actions in 2e does in fact completely undermine and break the entire system. You ST sounds like a fucking retard.

What about Heavy Weapons?
Heavy Weapons Cofd 62
** Threat Range: Deal a point of lethal damage and a temporary Defense penalty to opponents who enter range when you aren't moving or Dodging.

There are several forms of automatic range damage in 2e, none of which grant full additional attack rolls.

That isn't the same as a full-on attack, and it comes with clear conditions.

Which splats get along best together?

Vampire and Werewolf now, surprisingly

Beast and Mages. They're both teenage power fantasies

Vampire x Moros
Sin-Easters x Moros
Thyrsus x Werewolves
Acanthus x Changelings x Demons
Mastigos x Prometheans
Beasts x themselves

Beast and *

Beast isn't really powerful in the long run, tho

vampires and vampires
werewolves and werewolves
mages and mages
mummies and mummies
changelings and changelings
prometheans and nobody
sin-eaters and sin-eaters
demons and demons
hunters and killing everything

don't cross over

>Acanthus x Changelings x Demons
Can a Demon take a cover that makes them look like a Changeling to other Changelings?

>forever alone obrimos

Vampire x Werewolf
High Wisdom Mage x Changeling
Purified x Vampire

>Being able to lift and throw skyscrapers with minimal exp investment isn't strong

Covers are always mundane non-Supernaturals.
If you steal a Supernatural's life, then the cover you get from them is their human self.

Which is an interesting plot-hook for a Vampire game, as it would seem that one shithead Vampire seemed to have found some way to purge his curse.

Or that useless, worthless basic bitch Mage who everyone thought couldn't fuck up any more, seems to have fucked up even WORSE and lost his Awakening. Which has scared the local Consilium shitless.

Yeah, that's strong. On the level of a Boneyard abusing Sin-Eater.

Then you get to city wide destroying Mages, Mummies and Demons.

>Obrimos Racial Purity Supremacy ???
>Only feel at home in the Mysterium???

That's why Obrimos is the Daksha parent Path.

I remember Dave saying he would choose Thyrsus over all other Paths.

I also bet he hates the Obrimos.

Acanthus is the most boring Path.

Boneyard sin eater is beyond overrated and only master mages can destroy cities and you need the appropriate arcana

Dave hates the Prime Arcanum

Yep, this is the Truth.

Reminder that it's impossible to bait Dave out of the Supernal

>I also bet he hates the Obrimos.

Some insight into Dave's view of Obrimos from the Open Development spoilers

The Obrimos are unusual in our Path refreshes; they’re the least-changed Path with the most-changed Arcana. We’ve used the opportunity of our two-fold Path schemes to promote non-religious Obrimos as valid characters, but despite or possibly because I’m a great big atheist I was very keen to maintain the Path of Might as the place for personal revelatory religious experiences, the feeling of communion with the godhead, and the theurgist magical style. Greek gives us our second title: Thaumaturgist, (“wonder-worker”,) reclaimed from vampires in the New World of Darkness (and, as some of you have noted, from Sleepwalkers with minor magical powers, who got called it in Second Sight. That’s okay, though – our Moros aren’t Promethean 2E’s new antagonists or one of the mummy Guilds, despite all being called “alchemists”.
So other than textual support for Obrimos who approach their magic with a scientist’s eye or a hermetic’s mechanistic view of angels rather than all being priests, the main change here is in the Arcana.

Forces is the Arcanum most altered by our design decision to remove “speedbumps” from the system – in first edition, some practices require higher dots than they should depending on which Force is being affected. We toyed with requiring extra Reach instead for a few days, but after some consideration decided to throw caution to the wind and peg all spells to the dot level of their Practice. That means that you can do things like Shield against gravity with two dots, to protect yourself from falling damage, when you couldn’t before.

Prime, on the other hand, was one of the two Arcana we were least pleased with as a standalone powerset (the other being Space) – to our minds, it didn’t do enough by itself. We’ve tweaked Prime’s purview: it’s now the Arcanum of magic, yantras, nimbus, mana, revelation, and truth. It doesn’t create phantasms any more, but instead creates Truths out of solidified mana. These are called Platonic Forms (when inanimate) and Eidolons (when animate) – the name “Tulpa” now soley refers to the Nimbus-emanations of the Mad. Prime’s revelations are a blunt instrument compared to Mind, especially on the unprepared – Prime spells will allow you to tear the veil off people’s eyes temporarily, but they won’t enjoy the experience.

LIES. VERY GOOD LIES.

Dave hates the Obrimos and you know it to be True.

Supernal Truth is not for mortal eyes to witness fully.
While sleepers remain truly blind, the Awakened must glimpse but a flickering flame.
Their desperate attempts to seek the Truth will bring them to the knees of the Father, the Grand Komodo.

At his knees they will beg, plead, and grovel for the whispers that pass his lips.
And when he graces them with but a short utterance, they will weep, joyful at the grand blessing they have been granted.

For Obrimos are his children, and his slaves. Chained to him willingly, but dispassionately treated.
May his Kinetic Shield forever protect against the Leech, the Wuffle, and the Muggle.
May his Truth Purview forever provoke furious arguments about objective truth and memory manipulation.

As it now and always shall be.
Mage Supremacy.

>May his Kinetic Shield forever protect against the Leech, the Wuffle, and the Muggle.

You got a kek out of me

Werewolves & certain mages
Vampires & certain mages
Hunters & certain mages
Changelings & certain mages
Demons & certain mages

Awakening confuses me. Does one find a Path based on their individuality or a specific event corresponding to it?

Like, would it be appropriate for a homeless hippy living in the wilds Awakening as a Moros instead of a Thyrsus, assuming death and transition a part of it?

You Awaken to a Path by coming to an understanding of its principles.

So a rigid, self-controlled man who runs his life like a business, might find Arcadia when his life collapses around him, his wife leaves him, and he's left with nothing. In that state of limitless future potential, he Awakens.

A hippie, high off of his face might also find Arcadia when he wanders off without a care in the world, leaving everything he has behind him to seek something new. Devoid of ties, he seeks his destiny, and finds it, he Awakens.

>As it now and always shall be.
>Mage Supremacy.

Amen. PBUH.

May you forever be blessed and protected by unbalanced awesomeness of gravity control.

Max aoe range for non archmages is campus size do no city destroying unless with a tornado or some shit

Was going to bring this up. Until I realized that doesn't actually matter. Space can cheese distances. Living firestorms make campus sized radiuses meaningless, etc.

I don't think you understand scale.

For instance, Forces master could conjure a campus sized firestorm, hurricane,. etc. which he can then control and move about leaving a swath of destruction.

The tornado, as you recognize, is not an exception, but the norm.

That will take a ton of reach and he would have to be in a place where he can actually see the firestorm so that he can direct it with out burning his self to death. Beast can knock down skyscrapers in the mid game.

Are you retarded or what?

The norm for anybody with forces but otherwise yet shit out of luck

>master

A Mage with Forces 5 Mind 5 can wreck havoc on the Boreal Forest of Canada, lol.

You might not actually need five dots in any of those, assuming I'm thinking what you're suggesting.

>Beast can knock down skyscrapers in the mid game.

>**cough** earthquakes **cough** gravity control **cough**

How common is a Mage with forces 5 mind 5 dumbass?
Explain how I am retarded Mr. Shitposter. I'll wait.

Forces 5 and Life 4 and a mage can turn themselves into firestorms, tornado or radiation monsters.

It's not the norm to have Forces 5 and Gnosis 5, or for some reason to want to perform a massive, destructive Making spell that would by no means be a simple production.

>That will take a ton of reach
Easily doable at Adept - Master
>and he would have to be in a place where he can actually see the firestorm so that he can direct it
So he follows it? Or adds Mind so it can do it on its own.
>with out burning his self to death
Burning a forces mage. LaughingObrimos.jpg
>Beast can knock down skyscrapers in the mid game.
Not that impressive. A Mage could sever the empire state building and let it float into outer space.

Earthquake is fucking forces 5 and gravity control on a level that can wrek towns is probably high level as well. A beast can get strong as fuck very easily and quickly.

Well, I bought VtM Bloodlines, and I'm really enjoying it. Just finished the Ocean House. I think I'm going to spec my Toreador in guns and brawling to basically become Neo with Celerity

Oh. You're a baitposting idiot. Fuck, I'm a moron for not seeing it.

Space/Correspondence can fucking stack places on top of each other.

Forces isn't the destruction Arcanum/Sphere.

>I lost an online argument
>iwasonlypretendingtoberetarded.jpg
>MAGE SUPREMACY

>Easily doable at Adept - Master
Not for a spell on your level. You only get free Reach for every dot level in an Arcanum you have that meets and then succeeds the spells requirement. So a Master doing an Unmaking or a Making spell spell gets 1 free Reach. For every Reach beyond that, you're adding your Gnosis to the Paradox pool. Which as a Master, is at least 5.

The child has been set off.

:^)

Did you install the unofficial patch?

>What are Yantras

It really depends. An Adept/Master is going to do it as a ritual. Using Yantras to mitigate backlash and taking his/her time. It's a simple matter, really, just not on a whim. Not unless your Gnosis is sky high or you happen to be an Archmage.

Not free reach

You seem to think that Mages are terrified of taking Paradox hits. This isn't Ascension.

There are also Yantras for this very situation.

Why is this hypothetical mage attempting to wipe out a city?

I imagine other mages wouldn't be too keen on the idea since it would wreck any mysteries they're investigating and harm their allies and resources.

Besides, it's far too much overkill to do things like incinerate vampires or show off for the muggles.

I don't seem to think anything of the sort. I was just pointing out the facts.

Were you hoping for said facts to dissuade the hypothetical city-leveling firestorms?

>Why is this hypothetical mage attempting to wipe out a city?
Because some guy on the internet wants to make a point.

It's not a matter of 'why' but 'how'

Not really. It's not like Mage is full of them or anything.

I got it from GOG, so it came with 9.7.

I might do the "plus,"and some graphical modifications but I'm pretty happy so far

>Why is this hypothetical mage attempting to wipe out a city?

It's the only surefire way to remove the vampire infestation.

>Yantra
Jewish Gehenna

A creative Master can dish out more devastation than any other splat. I would think this to be obvious.

They won't do it, though. Not unless they -really- want to.