EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Dark Powers" Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: What old cards still find use in your decks?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/09-09-17-sIz-deck-paste/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/09-09-17-uncle-karl/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-neverending-tempest/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>start building Tasigur
>get annoyed that Prophet is banned
This sucks!

good wurmo

>Lure/Nemesis Mask

Natural Fucking Order

nigga the fuck am I supposed to do with my foils and beautiful promo?

tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/09-09-17-sIz-deck-paste/

any control boys wanna help me make cuts?

Seedborn muse should be good enough, no?

Oh I'm running that, but getting Flash on all my creatures for just a blue splash seems pretty damn good.

unstable lands make me cum

I may be stupid but I don't understand what to do with this card.
Just pay like 4 life to get 4 cards on my end step? in EDH my life is a commodity but I don't feel good paying life for draws.

>not gaining hundreds of life each turn

No, pay 20 life, draw 20 cards, sculpt your hand to guarantee a win next turn. Would you feel better with this?

Drawing cards is the most powerful effect in a card game, and 1 life for 1 card is a very favorable trade off.

that one is too expensive for Zur to fetch

I just finished a Norin deck that's been on my back burner for years, so now I'm having deck building withdrawals. There's a bunch of decks I'm working on that are in very early development, which one should I focus on next?

Nin Robo-Wizards
Gonti My Deck is Your Deck
Saffi Martyrdom
Rakdos Everybody Loses
Yasova My Boardstate is your Boardstate

Y A S O V A
Stealing someone's commander and flickering it is the top tier stuff.

Not that guy, but wouldn't the commander leaving the battlefield trigger your opponent just sending it to the command zone?

It's also banned in commander

You already posted it OP, i also run this in all my blak decks, why should i have to deal with their stuff when he plays it?

Yup. So they lose their commander. Great for indestructible creatures. Arcane Lighthouse for the rest.

>tfw traded Norn away for a foiled Slagwurn during the NPH prerelease
Still regret it to this day.

>regret getting a foil copy of the best creature in magic for combat

>Thread Question: What old cards still find use in your decks?

How old? Pre-2000s cards?

>Marath
Battlefield Forge, Brushland, Karplusan Forest, Plateau, Savannah, Strip Mine, Taiga, Wasteland, Academy Rector, Birds of Paradise, Sylvan Library, Enlightened Tutor, Worldly Tutor, Wrath of God, Ashnod's Altar, Sol Ring

>Sidisi
Demonic Tutor, Yawgmoth's Will, Maze of Ith, Strip Mine, Volrath's Stronghold, Wasteland, Contamination, Necropotence, Phyrexian Reclamation, Ashnod's Altar, Mana Crypt, Sol Ring, Thran Dynamo, Vampiric Tutor

Good place to get proxies? I'm not trying to do anything sneaky, I just want to use Unhinged lands at my kitchen table.

It depends on the flicker effects.
If it tracks the commander to another public zone, such as the command zone, it's fine, but if the effect looks for the card in exile, it won't work.

I can't remember if there are any public tracking flicker effects that are "controller to controller," though. I think they're mostly con/own to owner."

So even if you did gain control of their commander, use something like Flickerwisp, and have them send to command zone, they'd then put it back into play under their control as they own said commander.

Yasova is really fun and as said, using something like bazaar trader to keep their commanders is ultra spicy

>What old cards still find use in your decks?
Ice Floe can be pretty nice.

I want to talk about all the golgari commanders. I'd like to build maybe all of them as separate edh decks. Many of them involve sac mechanics, but I'd like some advice on the other ones as well. So far here are my general ideas:

Sapling of Colfenor - Treefolk Tribal
Mazirek - Insect Tribal
Glissa, the Traitor - Artifacts (infect?)
Nath - Elves Tribal
Ishkanath - Spider Tribal
Gitrog Monster - Landfall? Retrace?
Hapatra - Tokens/Wither/Infect?
Jarad/Meren/Savra - Sac (may only do one of these actually since they may all end up the same)

So my question really is: what can golgari decks do effectively besides sac tech? Would the above work in some way?

Conjurer's Closet?

Friendly reminder that this is a Homelands card.

In case I did not make this clear I want each of the golgari decks to play differently, is what I am going after.

How could you forget the greatest golgari commander of all time?

She seems outdone by Hapatra, unless if you can do golgari enchantments

whoops looks like you posted the wrong image

I think everything Innistrad and further, and most likely earlier than that, track from exile. In cases with closet, Cloudshift, Ghostly Flicker, etc., the card is tracked only if it goes to exile. So instead of returning to play, which it would in Flickerwisp's case, it just goes to their command zone.

I might be confusing rules, but the minor word alterations really fucks up flicker effects.

Oh yeah, I won a high power tournament with her, trust me, no you can't see the list.

Pharika is outdone by any commander, but that's part of her charm.

I love Skullbriar. I love Verdurous Gearhulk. I love Relentless Dead. I love Vigor Mortis.

I trust you buddy. Soon everyone will understand that Pharika is S-tier

Make way for the best Commander.

Would Fulminator mage be a good add to an Alesha Deck? I was just looking through my collection and noticed I had one.

>Bronze Bombshell
>Mirrorweave
>Scrambleverse
:^)

How would a jank battle between Pharika and Iname as One go /edhg/?

>tutor spirit to graveyard
>turn it into a snake
what the fuck are you talking about

>Zombie Elemental
I forgot that he's not a Plant far too often.

People complain that he's not a Skeleton Plant.
>The undead monstrosity known as Skullbriar was formed when a necromancer and an elementalist entered into a grim pact. The mages wove their magics together in an overgrown cemetery, thinking it would bring them eternal life. Instead it fused them together into Skullbriar, the relentless, restless elemental of death.
Makes sense to me DESU. I'm not complaining with that Nils Haam artwork.

Can you do elemental tribal with him?

Hey lads, I have posted a couple different times over the last week + but finally I have all the cards suggested to me (I think)

Again, any advice would be appreciated. Especially on what to add/take out now that I have the cards

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/09-09-17-uncle-karl/

>tfw there will never be an "each opponent loses X, you gain that much life" effect again

*laughs in -1/-1 counters*

Extort was so fucking awesome

For sure, but not even just extort. All those old effects.
They "balanced" all that kind of shit for multiplayer. Siege Rhino is each op loses 3, you gain 3. That sort of thing.

What's your least favorite change of art?

I actually thought this one was a ton worse until about 30 seconds ago, when I realized the new art had a bird over his arm, when I thought he was holding a crossbow.

So I absolutely love all kinds of -1/-1 counter cards and all the interactions possible with them and want to build the best shit available with them, focusing SUPER heavily on abusing the shit out of the actual counters.

Should I go with
>Skeleton Ship This would probably inevitably include minor Skeleton Tribal.
>The Scorpion God
>Hapatra, Vizier of Poison
>Partner Commanders (Silas Renn / Tana; Reyhan / Kraum; Kydele / Vial Smasher)
>Shattergang Brothers

kiki-jiki

>old art has a dog
>new art has a dog on his shield
I like that. Anyway, give us more Born of the Gods Divinations.

>The Scorpion God

hes garbage

>Print awesome Evolving Wilds art in DKA, DoT, and BFZ
>Insist on continuing to use the meh Rise art
Not entirely the same thing, but I don't know what they're thinking sometimes.

How do I into sea monster tribal?

Jalira Polymorph effects + tokens/ETB value creatures or Thasa Devotion or Zegana Ramp or Teferi Untap Effects? Or some other blue commander I might be unaware of?

I just really like big-ass fish and wish they had as much support as Sphinx have these days.

how do you get around cockatrice bans?

my friend was a retard and couldnt register correctly so he got a restriction

while the strongest of the eminence commanders, i've been struggling to make edgar consistently work in my meta, even when built 100%. i tried out both the hyper-aggressive and the aristocrats versions, but i can't seem to keep up with even 75% decks at my table if i don't get skullclamp or a tutor to go get skullclamp.

is there a more consistent build of edgar that i'm missing, or is he just too reliant on a few key cards to succeed?

a t r a x a

Manamorphose
Akroma
But most of all, Nicol Bolas

>hurrr it's a dragon so it's gotta be big and scary and roaring!
>dragons don't read books, books are for NERDS

But muh red counter cards.

Were the commander 2014 sets hard to get a hold of?

boring

back in 2014? no, not really. i picked up zedruu for msrp a week before commander 2015 spolers started.

To be fair, old Bolas art was a clusterfuck and he needed some kind of update. Though a simple remake of the original art (or something similar, like him lounging on a mountain or throne while reading) would have been far better.

how the fuck did i type zedruu there
nahiri*

>friend about to go infinite with turns/mana
>convince him not to, and let the game go on because everyone was having fun
>either wipe everything or win the game next turn

every time

I mean, it does reflect the direction of the franchise in the last decade.
>NICOL BOLAS FLEW TOWARDS THE HEROES, EAGER TO KILL SOMEONE TODAY

But fuck, I want my scheming dragon arch-bastard reading his book of dickery.

>tutor for Bloodline Necromancer first, followed by Ashnod's Altar the turn later while playing Inalla
>wait a while
>convince people to use removal on another player's threats
>combo them dead because they forgot I grabbed my pieces
Playing with idiots is so fun.

A new Bolas showing him on his Throne on Amonkhet in the middle of ruined Naktamun, reading some books would have been fucking sweet as a promo of any kind or an Invocation at least.

Man, they never actually did show him on the throne, did they? It was such a huge centerpiece for that set and then he's never even depicted on it. What a fucking waste.

At least the Talon Gates callback is nice, I guess.

>Chandra and Nissa began circling around him in each direction. Yes, tactics, assuredly. He wondered how much it would crush their spirits if he applauded. Metaphorically, of course. His talons did not clap together well.
bew hew

i prefer my combos to be as wacky as possible
>vedalken orrery
>hyalopterous lemure
>wait for an attack to go unblocked
>activate the lemure a billion times and drop ichor explosion

c l a s s i c

>grab world slayer
>wait 3 turns
>play dark steel plate
>no one does anything about it forgetting about world slayer
>wait till everyone's tapped out
>win
>no one stayed untapped to counter because they forgot what i grabbed

I agree

does the fact that youre using this image mean youre a cuteboy who wants dik?

Go Sek'kuar to get all of the -1/-1. Or some other Jund commander. I just prefer Sek'kuar.

You should see my cockatrice username :3

Hapatra or Skeleton Ship Proliferate, the other options don't hold up. Scorpion God is 3rd choice, but a distant third.

How do I build this man /edhg/?
Any spicy tech?

is it sissywhiteboy?

yes

take some turns

That was a common.

it's not exceptional though, just playable.

>play sanguine bond
>Wizard player goes nuts for 10 minutes drawing cards and getting 50 mana
>he draws the group's ire
>play exquisite blood, place it as far away from sanguine bond as I can
>attack with nighthawk at the dragon player
>he blocks with a token and then I inform the table that I have just reduced their life to 0

I'm fairly certain that doesn't work and instead gives everything -0/-0 rather than +lots/+lots via double negative.

i actually double checked with a few level 3 judges i know, who all confirmed it. magic is a weird game sometimes.

>tfw have yet to get a sanguine bond/exquisite blood combo off

it works similarly with Cultivator of Blades, if you Shrink it to a -4/1 with the attack trigger on the stack it actually -4/-4's the player's board.

>i actually double checked with a few level 3 judges i know

>107.1b Most of the time, the _Magic_ game uses only positive numbers and zero. You can't choose a negative number, deal negative damage, gain negative life, and so on. However, it's possible for a game value, such as a creature's power, to be less than zero. If a calculation or comparison needs to use a negative value, it does so. If a calculation that would determine the result of an effect yields a negative number, zero is used instead, unless that effect sets a player's life total to a specific value, doubles a player's life total, sets a creature's power or toughness to a specific value, or otherwise modifies a creature's power or toughness.

Here's a list I've been tinkering with since the initial leaks.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-neverending-tempest/

I'm actually looking for advice on this. The idea right now is to tutor up an engine like Summonings or Reservoir and then cantrip to fuck and back, with some value spells mixed in to keep up with the board.

Also, bounce is your friend. There's a lot of cheap bounce cantrips that are really strong if rebounded and give you room to breathe if you can't get to your ramp.

>or otherwise modifies a creature's power or toughness.
that's what ichor explosion is doing in this scenario

>creatures are garbage unless they have trample or flying

is this true?

Hardly.

Menace, Intimidate, Fear, Banding, Unblockable, and May deal damage as though it weren't blocked are also things.

Don't forget double strike and indestructible.

nah