>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1IeOXWvbkmQ3nEyM2P3lS8TU4rsK6QJP0oH7HE_v67QY/edit#!
youtube.com/watch?v=4tZeuJMW3NU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Any homebrew rules for fuckoff huge swords?

first for horseventures

What damage type is recommended for being stuck by an attack in the form of a sudden charge of water? Like, getting blasted by a powerful fire hose or something.

Bludgeoning? The water's not necessarily cold or hot so it's not necessarily cold or fire damage.

Is it true that the magic items in the DMG don't actually have attached prices?

Bludgeoning

What would be the best ways to present my players with magical items that look like mundane things? I want them to take or find the items instead of be given as a reward by some NPC.

Yes.
A lot of D&D 5th edition is going back to basics, and that includes acquiring sweet magic swag through adventuring and not walking in a shop and going "Give me a +2 scale armor and a flame tongue longsword kthnkbai".

Yes and no, each item doesn't have a "cost x platinum/gold" however there is a table earlier in that section that gives a range for each level of rarity.

They have prices, but they're priced by rarity.

Describe them as mundane looking? How was that even a question?

Campaign I've been running for a year finally finished last night. Getting my first and likely only chance to play a PC for a long time.
Decide what I play.

I don't them to ignore the magic item for looking mundane. That was my point.

Giants have them

I don't understand what exactly you're asking here

Play a control wizard. Treantmonk's is outdated but the principle is strong.

I still like to run things like that, then again my setting is rather high magic and I tweak a lot of items to require "batteries". Also most items it shops aren't too strong, stronger ones are found and have to be repaired.

5e has no way of spending money

Put them in a treasure hoard or something similar if in someone's estate. Also for what fucking purpose?

Reposting from the previous thread since I didn't really get many answers:

I'm homebrewing up a new setting for an upcoming game. The only playable races are: dwarves, elves, gnomes, half-elves, halflings, and humans. Most of these races have had their subraces axed and I've taken certain traits and ability score increases from the subraces and made it a default part of the race. As such, races like Gnomes, Halflings, and Dwarves, have been changed considerably.

One thing I did, since neither Half-Orcs or Goliaths are playable, was take Relentless Endurance and Stone's Endurance, mashed 'em together, and gave it to dwarves. Since dwarves are all about being stubborn and durable, it made far more sense for dwarves to have that ability than the other two races.

I don't intend to touch Half-Elves, since they're already quite strong. My real question is: how can I make elves and humans stronger to compete with the suped-up halflings, gnomes, and dwarves? Elves are the only race with subraces, also. High and Wood varieties. Dark Elves exist but they're evil and so not playable.

For humans I was thinking making Variant Human the standard and giving them an extra +1 ASI to put where they want on top of an extra skill. For elves I'm totally lost.

He's asking how you alert players to an item being magical even if said item looks mundane.

Like a kettle of waterfalls or bagpipes of invisibility.

For humans, probably let them run variant and still give them the +1 to all stats.

For elves, give them some Racial Feats for free.

Put the item next to something else they might use detect magic on

Played a bard with nothing but control spells during a oneshot and it was so strong I was thinking about maybe doing that again. How would control wizard stack up against it?

The warlock should get more invocations.

Its not fun to play characters without some bad stats, I still cant understand how they made default humans good att everything. The most fun I have had is low stat characters...

>how they made default humans good att everything
Default humans aren't good at everything, they're decent at most things but have no other inherently interesting traits

I think I figured out an easy fix for Sorcerers;

Double their Sorcery Points at any given level, and at every level where they currently learn one metamagic, have them learn three instead, so they eventually know all of them. And for a less simple fix you can also add more metamagic options.

>That seems OP...

Maybe, but here's the benefit of it;

Sorcerers are weaker mechanically than Wizards or Bards, but a lot of the suggested solutions are just to make them more like Wizards or Bards; either giving them more spells like a Wizard, or giving them the ability to pull from outside their spell list like a Bard.

But what's interesting and flavorful about the Sorcerer is metamagic. In this edition metamagic is the exclusive domain of the Sorcerer, and so I think this is what should be emphasized in their spellcasting. Metamagic lets them do things other casters can't, and gives them more interesting choices to make; you might choose different spells if you have the ability to modify them so much. If they could just do more kinds of metamagic more often, they'd probably be more fun to play and more powerful in terms of what they can do.

I think it's also more flavorful. If the idea of the Sorcerer is that it's a character with an emergent grasp of magic, then the idea that they can modify spells with more fine control than magic users that learn by rote or by hearsay or by divine intervention seems in line with that conception.

>Double their Sorcery Points at any given level
Or just give them spell points and combine them with sorcery points

*er, two metamagics, sorry.

First off this is the link
docs.google.com/document/d/1IeOXWvbkmQ3nEyM2P3lS8TU4rsK6QJP0oH7HE_v67QY/edit#!

The bard is quite possibly the best caster in 5e, but divination and illusion wizards can do some things they just are not able to. On top of that you get counterspells earlier, you get better and more spells.

And you do not take the slot of Face. This may seem strange, but if you win every fight for the group it can be good not to also be lead in social combat.

Is it true that an xth level for 5e is comparable to a less than xth in other editions?

You are right. But who the hell wants to play that? That is even worse!

Exactly, that's why no one plays default humans

So we are agreed?

This feels strange.

They have price ranges depending on rarity, which are functional enough for Common and Uncommon rarities, okay-ish guidelines for Rare, and worthless for anything past that.
Which is alright enough, I think. How often do you expect to be able to buy or even sell Legendary magic items?

Yeah

You're supposed to spend it during downtime and to build yourself crap.

I agree. I think that the tomelock getting an ability to cast any one spell from any class once per day would be a great late level invocation.
I also think they should make a invocation for once/day animate dead and conjuring fiends or specters, but that's because I like spooky warlocks.

On a related note, warlock patrons should have been kept spooky and vague like the pathfinder witch patrons, where they functioned more like eerie shadows of cleric domains. It would have allowed for much more mystery in their patron/warlock bond.

I imagine you could spend your money much like people do in the real world: buy a house, get some food, have people have sex with you. You know, things that you do when you're NOT murderhoboing.

Any Warlock invocation that gives you a new spell should let you cast it without a slot. If you are spending an invocation to get a spell you should get the damn spell. Right now they are all trap options.

What do you think about this? (Didn't include the stuff about languages, size, speed, etc. because it's not relevant. These are the main changes.) Keep in mind, if it looks strong then that's good. If it's TOO strong, that's where I might prune something. Most other races have gotten significant boosts (dwarves, for example), so that's why it might seem OP compared to the PHB.

>Ability Score Increase. Three different ability scores of your choice increase by 1.
>Adaptable. You gain proficiency in two skills of your choice.
>Human Determination. When you make an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can do so with advantage. Once you use this ability, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
>Prodigy. You gain one feat of your choice.

This still doesn't fix the problem of you not being able to play anything other than ice or fire sorc without being god awful, and their spell list being ass. If you want to fix sorcerer one of the first the things you should do is provide them with a way of making their spell list less garbage a la stone sorc.

What I've seen people do is going back to making treasure and gold the way up again XP and level up. From actual plays I've heard where it's used, it's significantly better mechanic which awards more organic play.

I like it but then again I tend to go for OP things without realizing it.

Sculptor of Flesh and Sign of Ill Omen are solid. One gives you crazy versatile utility and the other let's you tag on even more EB damage on one BBEG per day.

Just wait til XGE. I bet we'll get loads of the UA invocations.

...for players?

>downtime
>when half the published campaigns are "you're fighting an obscenely powerful ancient giant demondragongod from the elemental plane of fuckyou"
>and on a timer
Obviously >playing published campaigns,
but god damn are the assumptions the system makes not held up at all by the way the vast majority of people play.

Downtime is for between campaigns ya doofus

Most players don't care for that stuff so don't bother.

I really like my "Polishing Relics" way of obtaining magical items.

Brief question, I spotted a thread on Veeky Forums asking about it a few days ago but no real answers, but is there a pdf copy of Sphere of Annihilation floating around yet? Apparently some LGS stores and such are starting to get their copies out.

Stuff which has no mechanical advantage to it, I see.

No thanks.

>why isn't D&D pay to win

That makes little sense unless you're doing it online.

Again, 5E is about bringing a bit of old schoolness back. So you're kind of supposed to use it on living expenses and maybe get a caravan and some draft horses to lug your homeless ass around and on food and lodgings and feed for your horses. Maybe even start saving for retirement.
Or by god, donate to the local orphanage that needs to be rebuilt after that dragon you were fighting tore it apart.

great idea, except it doesn't address any of the sorc's problems.

Your telling me your players never wanted to build something stupid, like a huge ass palace, because they could?

You ever look through this?

>when half the published campaigns are "you're fighting an obscenely powerful ancient giant demondragongod from the elemental plane of fuckyou"
This is completely the issue half of our players have been having.

It should be obvious that killing things for xp is flawed. Then it's just a grind fest.

How so? Can you not hammer out downtime shit in half a session?

I hope my players meet sarkeleth the kraken 20th wizard and fight him and get annhilated

THIS KRAKEN HAS FLY
A FLYING GARGANTUAN KRAKEN

If you're doing the published campaigns, you've outleveled 90% of the campaign by having completed a previous one.

Or, y'know, the ancient giant demondragongod from the elemental plane of fuckyou killed someone last campaign and no one has 500 bucks and a diamond for whatever reason.

Any word on a new UA this month yet?

Fly is 3rd level just draw it over an island and watch it flop as you dispel
if the airship makes it that far

If your dm is having you go from one campaign to the next without any time in between, you could just ask him for downtime or point out that it makes very little sense for this much shit to happen at once.

Unearthed Arcana: 3 paragraphs about what i had for lunch last Wednesday and a sentence or 2 about rolling for penis size

Hey, that was my joke.

At this point I'm going to be disappointed if it's NOT Food & Provisions

Since he can do 120 damage to structures a turn I don't think it would go far

I just think a flying kraken is terrifying

Luck-o-mancers are quite fun. Lightfoot halfling diviner wizard that picks up the Lucky feat.

Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Passive Perception

The halfling isnt really that important.

Well thats only if he can catch it
Did you not paint racing stripes and flames on it so it would go faster?

what are some silly bladelock builds? I'm running one in my next game and would like some ideas.

Not as much as the others, but being able to reroll a few 1's is still good. Plus it adds that extra touch to the whole "fuck the dice rolls" thing.

It is if you get the UA halfling feat that lets you share the rerolls

>t. /u/...
discarded.

What's the best rogue build? Also, why would you play anything but arcane trickster, power wise?

Because I want to be le sneaky theif

What's wrong with yuri.

assuming grung will be playable for season 7 (maybe in a AL hand-out like they did with genasi in season 2 i think it was), do I make a Grung thief rogue for fun frog times or a lizardfolk moon druid for maximum DINO DAMAGE?

youtube.com/watch?v=4tZeuJMW3NU

What's wrong with the good ol' assassin?

What are peoples thoughts on the horizon walker ranger thinking of rolling one up.

Not him.
Assassin has great features at later levels, but its 3rd level feature only works on the first turn.
Arcane Trickster has the versatility of spells from 3rd level onwards.

While at it, Rogue Assassin is more of an Infiltrator, while Monk's Way of Shadow is a proper assassin.

Looks cool.

Where da Tomb of Annihilation pdfs at?

Why does pathfinder attract degenerates and tranny fifth?

Sorcadin is total bullshit, I just hit a 99 as a bonus action and im only level 8.

To continue discussion on

I've updated the broken feature Fanning to read:

Fanning
Starting at 13th level, you learn to trade accuracy for swift strikes. If you make an attack against a creature and do not have disadvantage on that attack, you take disadvantage to make additional ranged weapon attacks equal to half your proficiency bonus, rounded down, as part of that action. You can only use this feature a number of times equal to half your proficiency bonus rounded down. You regain all expended uses of it when you finish a short or long rest.

Now, if you're dipping fighter 2 for action surge, the first 3 rounds for a level 19 character could unload all their features in the first round round to deal:

4dx (unspecified pistol dmg) quickdraw and fanning (all with disadvantage, conditionally)
4dx attacks from attack action and fanning (all with disadvantage) + 9d6 (cinditionally)
4dx attacks from action surge and fanning (all with disadvantage)
1dx for twf

To get a true sense of where this character lies, I'll be comparing it to fighter2/assassin17, the other high opening burst rogue using 2 rapiers. I'll also use 2d4 for pistol damage, as was suggested in the previous thread. Since Assassin is optimized for a surprise round, and Gunslinger is optimized for being surprised, I'll be giving Assassin an extra round.

8d4 + 20 reaction
8d4 + 9d6 + 20 attack action
8d4 + 20 action surge
2d4 + 5 bonus attack

= an average of 161

assassinate surprise round:

4d8 + 16d6 + 10 attack action
1d8 + 5 action surge
1d8 + 5 bonus attack

1d8 + 5 action surge (first round of combat)
1d8 + 5 bonus attack (first round of combat)

= an average of 122

OH BOY. this really looks like it needs to be hit with the nerf bat, BUT about most of the attacks the gunslinger make are going to be at disadvantage. Anyone know the best way to factor that in? I'm definitely going to reduce the Fanning attack to +2 but I'd like to know for sure if I need to go further.

Can't fault trips. But you'd have to ask the furfags and dipshits themselves.

Is it free?

I'm playing a variant human paladin and going magic initiate to grab spells from the bard list. Anything especially good I should know about?

If I want to play a game where I roll stats for my players on Veeky Forums then have anons comment on them (for backstory, class, race) would I do it in here or would I make a thread for it?

Any ideas on showing creatures and people who have higher than 20 Str their strength besides just dealing more damage? Picking up people and chucking them, using large and heavy weapons, etc. are kinda obvious but they're more combat based. Which I'm not against doing or getting more ideas of, I just want more out of combat options showing it.

From the descriptions 20 is the maximum mortal output and anything above that is getting into mythology. I want to convey the difference but I'm having some trouble thinking of more ways to show it without it seeming like bullshit that my players will complain about.

What a remarkably terrible idea. Honestly the worst one i've heard in quite a while.

Dissonant Whispers allows anyone near the target to make an Opportunity Attack, including you, supposing it does move away.
Best spell you can pick imo.

>group is fighting vampire doing a sacrificial meal on commoner
>party attacks vampire without freeing the captive commoner
>a few turns pass
>I've almost solo freed the commoner
>vampire eats commoner for her turn
>entire party "Wow, there was nothing we could do to save him!"
>mfw

Splash Pally, get the Invocations to up the magic weapon bonus, and go Hexblade?

Well from the features you can see plainly that it is directed more towards a different game than the trickster (bonuses to disguise etc).