Please Help, calling all Sci-fi players

I'm not very familiar with sci-fi ttrpg's so I was wondering if any of you guys could help me.

I'm looking for an rpg that could capture the feel of the Anthem trailer (pic related). The flying suits, the booster running and that sort of shit. Preferably with some fun combat and exploration mechanics that isn't too hard to use.

Last request, this is /v/ so can we not turn this into a shit show about the game itself or bioware.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wArmHSPIvlQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I was gonna use Mekton Zeta

Go play a superhero game like M&M where everyone makes different varieties of Iron Man, basically. Just have it set in space and have them do sci-fi instead of space stuff.
Also, I feel like if you're trying to capture the feel of what is literally a carefully constructed biased set of imagery that in many ways might not reflect the actual gameplay or even might be an outright lie then you are WAY too easily influenced by things or are basically young enough to not have built up a tolerance for impressive but meaningless imagery yet.

Dear Sweet gods, No.

Mekton Zeta is a fun system but it's ridiculously complicated and the rules for making Mekton-scale monsters are incomplete.

My advice: Savage Worlds. It's fast, simple, fun and it can easily handle a setting with swarms of mooks backed by big, powerful boss creatures.

Grab the Sci-Fi companion, it has excellent Power Armor construction rules, re-skin some beasties from the Fantasy Companion and you're all set.

God damn, the "casual chatting" people do in these multiplayer trailers sounds forced as fuck. Nobody has ever talked like that when playing online.

Try Starfinder.

See if you can find a pdf of the old 'Road Strikers' book for Mekton. It's a simple system without all the extra frills in Mekton Zeta. As for Zeta itself, if you leave out any unneeded / unwanted systems it can still run as a solid game system. People just tend to abuse the shiz out of the advanced options.

I agree with this person.

Didn't Op specifically say the trailer? I would assume the end comment about not discussing the game itself was further meant to differentiate but hey, I guess hipsters will take pot shots at anything.

Well for interesting movement systems, it might be worth taking a look at VeloCITY. That had some neat ideas but I haven't gotten the chance to see how they work out in actual play.

have you ever seen the E3 gameplay demonstrations for co op games?
they have a bunch of hired voice actors having really cringeworthy dialogue

Starfinder does nothing he wants. The trailer has no ships, no magic, and Starfinder isn't about being a mechsuit user

These are both solid suggestions.

Both systems are fairly "pulpy", so the characters will feel like proper flying armored powersuit badasses. And there's plenty of sci-fi gadgets and shit to make each one feel unique.

>exploration mechanics
I'm curious how you're planning on handling the setting, world, and overall structure of the campaign.
The proper exploration mechanic really depends on what type of exploration they're doing. Going from point-to-point through dangerous areas? Searching the wilderness for specific things/locations? Aimlessly wandering for fun and profit?

OP here, sorry I haven't been active.

I'll take a peak at that

Depending on how I go with the other suggested systems I'll have a look may see if I can bash together ideas from a few to make something approaching what I'm after.

I was thinking savage world's since it's well savage worlds there's companions for basically everything under the sun.

Might be an idea, I want to try out VeloCITY but my group wasn't really into it

It's almost like carefully constructed imagery is meant to give you a feeling... I specified the trailer and asked not to talk about the game itself because I don't care how the game is going to play it means nothing in this context but go on being a haughty dick, thanks for the m&m suggestion though it might actually work, I'd never considered it since I was focused on sci-fi I guess.

The actual setting doesn't matter too much, so I'd work on that once I find mechanics I like. In saying that I was thinking maybe new frontier planets, so they have points where they may need to survive for a time, search the wilderness or go point to point on delivery as well as potentially deal with less savory characters and alien races.

I wanted exploration more for movement and any system that rewards exploration to give me ideas.

Just how similar is Mekton to GURPS?

Are there any mecha rpg's that could be used to simulate the suits, just scale them down or something like that?

Genesys from Fantasy Flight games. Narrative dice have a looser feel, giving your players a little more agency then running their suits a well as allowing you to throw in some sweet and thematic abilities.
Game is not out yet but it is essentially a generic version of the FFG star wars system. You can start working on it now and finish up once the book pops up.

Play Remnants by Outrider Studios. Relatively rules-lite with good mech-building rules.

some how I managed to screw my post anyways.

silouette core. commonly known for the heavy gear and Jovian chronicles settings.

making characters is quick and building robots is easy.

I'm def going to look into this, I like gimick dice but I hate star wars.

They're both autistic turbocancer, so there's that

>hate Star Wars
What the hell, why?

How do I mechsuit in Starfinder?
How do I Raiden, the rain transformed in Starfinder?

Not him but Star Wars is just Jedi and the rest is shit: The system. They cater to Jedi fags and focus the entire plot to the Force and Jedi fags, everything revolves around that shit.

You could use Stars Without Number, and just strip out the psychics if you don't want them in your sector

It's lame and childish and I'm fed up with it.

Dude. The first two FFG Star Wars games were written to specifically avoid that shit, and even if you mix in elements from all three the Force is a lot more balanced.
A trained marksman can easily wreck some nubcake who just got a lightsaber and thinks he's the next Mace Windu. Stormtroopers are actually dangerous in mass numbers. It's like they took everything people got butthurt over when it came to Jediwank and threw it all out of a window.

I really want this game to be playable offline, 'cause I really like the look of that tank suit. It just screams "POWER" to me. Fuck, please have offline play. I want to be the tank so I can say "Stand behind me! I am the wall, and I shall not fall!" Hey, OP, I hope you find what you're looking for, 'cause I wanna know so I can look into it too.

>Also, I feel like if you're trying to capture the feel of what is literally a carefully constructed biased set of imagery that in many ways might not reflect the actual gameplay or even might be an outright lie then you are WAY too easily influenced by things or are basically young enough to not have built up a tolerance for impressive but meaningless imagery yet.
Surely trying to capture the feeling of a cool trailer is a much more worthy goal than trying to capture the feeling of what is likely to be a fairly dull and repetitive game?

Can't Rifts/palladium system do all that? glitterboys aren't far off what's in the trailer except that they're *SPARKLIER*

>Also, I feel like if you're trying to capture the feel of what is literally a carefully constructed biased set of imagery that in many ways might not reflect the actual gameplay or even might be an outright lie then you are WAY too easily influenced by things or are basically young enough to not have built up a tolerance for impressive but meaningless imagery yet.
Not him, but basing a campaign off of badass imagery that genuinely inspires you has literally nothing to do with whether or not the media that the imagery was SUPPOSED to be associated with was good or bad.

youtube.com/watch?v=wArmHSPIvlQ

case in point. You could use this as inspiration for a baller capeshit campaign, despite the fact that it was a deceptive teaser meant to lure people into a shit movie.

>Try Starfinder.

>Mass Effect died for this Destiny/Borderlands clone.

It's a ubiosoft thing.

Mass effect was dead already as it should have been. They brought it's corpse out for a weekend at Shepard's and that was shit.