Are there any convenient ways to map the relative 3D positions of solar systems and the distances between them using a...

Are there any convenient ways to map the relative 3D positions of solar systems and the distances between them using a 2D medium, or am I going to have to figure out some weird shit to properly convey an area of space for my players?

I'm really tired of using a 2D map to chart scifi systems, my players don't seem to mind but it really pulls me out of the experience and I'd like to give them a feel for how vast space can be.

Other urls found in this thread:

joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The only two ways which I can come up with are 1) use a hexagonal map, and don't expect the tiles to be on the same level with each other - some hexes might be relatively higher or lower from the observed plain (you could use different colors for different "heights", go nuts!) or 2) You need to several different 2D maps for each layer of space you intend to use, and stack them on one another. Might be a bit of a hassle if you have more layers than 3, but it is what it is.

>really pulls me out of the experience
We need to make a Veeky Forums movie.
"How I learned to stop autisming and love the Fun"

An alternate way of doing it would be to assign a 3rd coordinate for each hex. so something like 0 24 42 would be 24th row, 42nd column and on the plane, -4 4 4 would be 4th column, 4th row and 4 tiles below the plane.

Humans can't really cope with 3d maps. Or well maybe we can but we're not trained to use them so we use 2d projections. Even for a world map we can have dozens of different kinds of maps and it's a relatively simple terrain, nothing overlaps anything. Mapping is not about making everything 100% accurate to real life, a good map is one that contains accurate information that you need, if I'm curious of annual rainfall levels I'm not gonna search for it on an altitude map.

1)For each point on the map draw an empty circle
2)For each open circle move a distance up or down proportional to its distance above or below the plane and draw a filled circle at that point
3)Draw a line between the two points

It should come out okay.

Space is big, which means the chances of something being directly over something else are small. Close to being directly overhead, but not exactly overhead. So draw a map with everything at the same depth, then add colored notches to each object for galaxy height.

So Solar might be depicted as right next to another sun, but has a 5 notch difference so they are nowhere near each other.

Cartesian coordinates are workable, but awkward. I'm still trying to figure out a good balance of detail, distance and reality for this exact problem.

Use 2D, but with leader lines. For example:

>Star systen at (+2, +1, +0)
>Map position (+2, +1)

>Star system at (+2, +2, -3)
>Map position (+2, -1) with a leader line extending up to (+2, +2), indicating that (+2, +2) is the projection of that system onto the plane of the map

This, and you can additionally visually represent the z-axis with a color value corresponding to an arbitrary spectrum you choose (or have "higher" points represented by larger dots). Given that galaxies are roughly fat pancake-shaped, you shouldn't be getting values as extreme on the z-axis as on the other two. you can provide additional context by putting line segments in between major points and calculate the corresponding distance of each route.

if you're going to be this autistic anyway you may as well add vectored algebra

A Cartesian grid.

Isometric and mount them on pillars so you can get a sense of distance that way

Not if you want it to be to scale mate.

joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html

The issue there is unless your map is galactic scale, the star chart won't start to flatten out for thousands of light years. Otherwise yeah.

Yep. Easiest way is to forget scale. Just have lines linking each system to the three or four nearest and mark the distance on them. That will serve the required purpose of letting players plot routes between places.

How feasible would it be to use a 3D modeling program as a map.
Just create spheres at specific coordinates and have the monitor visible to your players.

>Having anything in space be to scale
>picture_for_ants.jpg

I was messing around with universe sandbox along a similar idea, but honestly at this point I am considering just a flowchart style map.

Space Engine has something of the sort, and custom celestial bodies can be fairly easily modded in.

>Picture for microbes
Ftfy

Stereographic projection. Your players may need to study their geometry textbooks to understand it, but you get the information across.

I'm not worried about custom bodies, but if I can pick any two stars within ~20-50 LY and get the actual distance between them, well, sign me the fuck up.

Due to gravity, 2D works.

As objects orbit they all tend to settle around the same plane, on an astronomical scale.

Hence why spiral galaxy's when viewed side on look like discs with a bulging center. When you are dealing at a 1million KM scale, the difference in orbits relative to the center of the main object is negligible.

>I'd like to give them a feel for how vast space can be.

An extra D won't do that.

Making each stellar voyage take an entire session will do that. It'll be boring, but they'll get the idea.

Color code the depth numbers so you know if something is negative or positive Z as whether it's -/+ Y or X

Can you teach us?

>a single session per interstellar voyage
Fucking casual.
You should plan on your entire campaign being about being born, living, producing the next generation, and dying on a generational shit.
Hell, you should have a series of campaigns about this, with each one being a couple thousand years down the track, and a meagre handful of lightyears closer to your destination.
These campaigns should only stop upon the death of the entire crew, with no survivors.
The next campaign should take place on the planet the ship was headed for, with the organic material remaining on the ship having evolved into new and wonderful creatures millions and millions of years after the ship crash landed.

Balls and lengths of string