Cheatsheet: paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lk2n?Starfinder-Cheat-Sheet
FAQ: paizo.com/starfinder/faq

old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G-Vg2YS-sFE
archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/text/starfinder/username/mageguru/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I WANT SPACE MERMAIDS

SPACE MERMAIDS ARE COMING IN THE ALIEN ARCHIVE.

the kalo look more like trilarians than mermaids. alot of the races in this game seem lifted from master of orion 3. not that that is a bad thing, not at all. moo3 had some of the best alien races ever.

hopefully this gets retconned into cute mermaids

>Implying that Kalo isn't cute.

That's not spooky space.
That skeleton IS the space rules.

That's just a friendly Eoxian ore freighter pilot making his rounds.

He's a recurring side character who offsets the party's badass adventures with his blue collar wholesomeness and eventually saves their lives by offering a lift.

He tries really hard to make his ship comfortable for 'fleshies' but he tends to make amusing mistakes in providing food and comfortable guest quarters.

>he bought food, once

When the alien archive comes out I'm going to use the racegen rules and make every race from Endless Space. Then I will consider running a game. I swear, the things Veeky Forums complains about in these threads are such minor issues in actual play. As if a GM can't just change DCs.

>autism on Veeky Forums
you dont say?

I've never seen that image before but I love it. Is it from a different board?

So what do you guys think happened to all the dragons in Starfinder?

Houseruling is cough-syrup.
It makes that one campaign feel better.
But it in no way fixes the underlying sickness.

Everyone knows that we can houserule things. But that cannot change the fact that the system came out half-assed and incomplete.

If I were a developer my answer would be: Wait for the power-armor supplement where they will both be shown in all their ultimate glory.

But I don't work for paizo and likely never will.

theres a bunch of dragons that rules empires on triaxis

Has the game been fixed yet?

too busy.
can't talk.
queering up.

NEVER EVER

Some of them are CEOs on Triaxus.

Give me your Discord or something because I want to be there when this happens, I'd be hyped as fuck for some Endless Space.

Were you going to run it in the setting? Or make your own?

Now you're making me want the Silicoids, why are you doing this to me.

So, uh... how do Shireen have sex?

Do the males and females get it on alone and the female just dumps fertilized eggs inside the host or is it always threesomes all the time? What if a shirren is only attracted to one sex instead of two?

The victim's infested with the larval forms until they're ready to be transfered to an education jar.

males and females fuck hosts separately

Aren't Hosts used specifically for "batch births?" As in, a male and female can have a kid, but adding a Host means they can have 12?

>the system came out half-assed and incomplete.

OK.

So what?

You've got an imperfect game in front of you. Do you play it or not play it? You must want to play it a little, or else you wouldn't be here... or maybe you just really like hating things. You'd be in good company. This is Veeky Forums, plenty of people who like hating things. It's on one of the banners.

If people are going to play it and houserule away the things you don't like (very easy when they're something as trivial as the number you ask players to roll against), then you lose some of the consistency that helps people have discussions online about the rules. But since those discussions begin and end with "they fucked up the DCs", it's not a big loss.

Yes, they fucked up the DCs. This is the consensus, based largely on theorycrafting but probably accurate. No one is arguing that they didn't. Is there more to discuss other than how we intend to work past that issue?

How did that head rot in hard vacuum?

silicoids are in the game.
one of the outer planets.
they levitate with electro repulsor energy or something

imsaeis are in the game too, including their biotechnology
meklar are in, obviously.
sakkra are in
klackons are in
trilarians are in

Weapon and armor balance have some issues. The weapon list is a bit of a mess.

Take crossbows for example. Not only do they not get faster/better (thought you'd get some kind of Jinouga-Vaporizer bowgun? Think again) but instead only cost more and more ammo at a time without getting to act as 'autofire', but you'll need longarm proficiency for some of them, and then heavy weapon proficiency if you want to keep using them as you level. Flame guns stop existing at level 2. Grenades are ridiculously overpriced. Other than countermeasures themselves security does almost nothing to hacking a computer: the more powerful the computer the harder it is to use anyways.

Combat on the ground becomes relatively rocket-tag like at higher levels - though nowhere near as bad as pathfinder certainly. Combat in space slows to a fucking crawl unless one upgrades to a capital ship with capital weapons as shields and health improve but weapons don't...

Don't forget the Contemplatives being the end result of Psilon genetic tinkering.

im sure there will be bulrathi in the alien book too.
the pact definately needs a tough mammal race to counter the veskarium

I've got a mind to make a mechanic, however I need to know if starting with 14 Intelligence is going to fuck me over? This 10 PB deal is really raw, I'm looking at 16/14 Dex/Int and the +2 from Human either being put in either, or neither.

And while I'm on the topic, what's a good mod for a Combat chassis designed to be a sort of "Watchdog" companion, very observant and downright vicious in close quarters? I'm considering quite a few mods, but I need your advice (one that's calling to me for some wild reason is the Skill Routine, or however it's called; the one that gives a bonus skill and +2 Intelligence. Manipulator Arms too, or Hardened AI or Enhanced Sensors or Armor.)

>Were you going to run it in the setting? Or make your own?

I'd definitely run it in the setting, adding elements that could plausibly have always been there but abstracted away or not really explored because they weren't relevant to the course of the grand strategy game. For instance, I can pretty much invent anything I want for human-scale combat, because the games themselves only model ship-to-ship with any level of detail. Nothing in the games contradicts how Starfinder works or requires a system that Starfinder doesn't have.

I'd invent a section of the galaxy where no one major player has full control over what's going on, which is pretty similar to what always happens when I play the game and everyone starts in the arms of the galaxy and works their way coreward. The Academy would be there. Auriga would be out there somewhere, with no one admitting to knowing where it is. I'd keep the Star Lane/Warp/Wormhole methods of FTL travel, depending on whether the PCs are going somewhere inhabited/somewhere uncharted/somewhere else entirely.

No races would be prohibited. The Academy doesn't discriminate. None of the empires discriminate. Emperor Zelevas wants YOU to serve humanity, whether you're human or not. Horatio Prime... well, maybe don't be too unique around him. But regardless, if any species can serve in any empire, then why couldn't they all be members of the same adventuring party. Players looking to make their character special and unique are going to have to work hard to be something people haven't seen before.

>tfw no Alkari race
>tfw no Darlok

So since Raise Dead is neutral aligned now, shouldn't Pharasma be only mad at FORCED Undeath or like, using undeath just to extend your life?

you want a mechanic with 14 int?
and then you want to make a shit tier drone?
and THEN you want 16 dex?

jesus fuck dude

Well, shit. Looks like I won't be applying to any campaigns between here and October, because I want to make sure my schedule is wide open for you!

Guide my hips with this, man. Should I go for 14/16 Dex/Int? What's wrong with my Drone concept? How do I shot web?

dont be a fucking human, for start.
there are 3 races that make good mechanics, and human is not one

Hosts contribute their own genetics, so a two parent Shirren doesn't work. The closest thing that comes up to batch breeding in the race description is mention of how sometimes the host is the incubating 'true' parent of multiple male/female couples in some communities, while in others the host is simply one member of a three person marriage.

Space bug sex is weird.

The thing to remember user, is that you get FOUR statboosts every five levels.

And if that statboost goes into a stat that's 16 or below, the stat increases by 2 points. 17 or up gets 1 point.

The lower starting stats is balanced by better stat growth, especially across multiple stats.

idk, Shirren are neither good nor bad and Lashunta might hurt your will save, but you get a bonus to hacking.

How about the Nuar? The cybernetic loving minotaur race? They could be beefy enough to counter a Vesk but they'd be outnumbered.

So... Post racial... I should have 16 Dex/16 Int?

Yes.

But because of that fucking worthless extraneous +1 from your theme, you'll have an odd number left at the end of the day unless you take a 17.

>tfw you will never be a filthy breeding sow to increase the Nuar's numbers

Why do you think the weapons increase in damage so dramatically as you level up? Most similar RPGs have some weapon scaling, but nothing as dramatic as the range Starfinder has going on. I don't see the design intention. Why this and not the standard +5 sword approach?

post racial you should be 18/16/11
or 18/16/9

My impression is that they're trying to load damage increases into core weapon selection rather than put it into class abilities and feats; that leaves class abilities and feats for things that are burden-of-optimal-play damage increases.

the +1 is not worthless.
it can be used to up your str to an odd number. then you can use the backpack to give +1 for carrying
so its almost useless

Also, the ergonomics of these guns deeply annoy me. Imagine trying to hold A4, C4, or B5.

could be alien weapons

Awesome!

Okay, so about that Droid... How does I do it? I want something with the Combat Chassis and Close Quarters, what mods would you say are critical for this to work?

So I'm going to be starting a Starfinder campaign soon, and I've got a few questions about the mechanic class.
Well mainly about the custom rig. First the game says you can fit the whole rig into a cybernetic implant, do you have to pay for that implant? Also that seem really tiny for also being a full mechanics tool kit.

Second, if I get a artificial personality on my custom rig computer, would I be able to use it to diplomacy checks etc for my character?

Third, the exocortex uses my skill bonus to hack. Does this include my insight bonuses from the class feature? and could it include my equipment bonuses if its in a situation where the equipment could be used?

>B5
Reminds me of the blunderbuss from Looper, the gun required by the plot to be so awful it can't hit anything further than five yards away.

You never pay for class features. And yes, it's very small. I haven't really been thinking about that as a problem, since I was thinking about Exocortex Androids, and like the idea of being quite mechanical from level 1.
Ask your GM about the diplomacy checks, they may well be cynical. If you want a point to argue in your favour, point out how your level 7 class feature works.
It's the same bonus for hacking. You basically get some extra actions.

>do you have to pay for that implant?
yes, unless youre an android then you can insert it for free

doing exocortex android myself. Figure I'll start with the free armor slot for the rig, just because I like the lore of it better.
Priest theme, so modding himself with all the stuff and being both creator and created being is very spiritual for him.

Also starting with the free skill focus in diplomacy, and generally going with a theme of having to use additional AI personalities in his head to actually communicate well with people.

Post the theme for your first character!

youtube.com/watch?v=G-Vg2YS-sFE

this guy Tech Priest
Only instead of the dogmatic, secretive, and superstitious priest archetype that 40k uses, the priest archetype of someone given to good works, outreach, and trying to explain complex spiritual beliefs in personal terms sort of priest. Like Father Forthill from Dresden Files, or Shepard Book.

Also carries enough gun to defend the innocent. So a little bit Michael.

but also finds human facial and body language a foreign language, so does the equivalent of the speaking slowly and over enunciating.

What do you think the Mechanic would pay for that implant? There's no listed cost for a custom rig, it's just a thing that all Mechanics have.

There's no listed price to install it in your head, but it says it can be combined with a datajack. I forget if there was a price multiplier on that, but yeah. Datajack.

The implantation itself shouldn't cost anything because it's a class feature. The only reference to cost is being able to combine a brain-mounted custom rig with a datajack for the data jack's price.

So what would a Pathfinder class have gotten instead to boost damage over levels? Iterative attacks? Those were always terrible. I'm not sure what the increased damage numbers accomplish other than the general principle of making numbers bigger as you level up.

People already get damage boosts as they level from their Weapon Specialization.

Reminder that 10d6 is on average like 35. Dice are deceptive.

I'll dump some guns.

Anybody got good starships?

The devs wanted to get rid of iterative attacks but with the mandate the Company gave them for keeping it PF compatible and the deadline they had to work with they couldn't get around the HP bloat easily so they ended up folding them damage scaling into gear.

Which is really not much when you're looking at an average human soldier having ~176 HP and ~192 stamina.

Actually, I'm kind of worried looking at that for what the numbers of higher level creatures are going to look like in terms of damage and HP/Stamina.

I mean, you'd assume a solo type creature has to survive at least 2 rounds of fire from PCs at 50 damage a piece, so that's at least 500 between HP/Stamina.

Is 10-12 Con a death sentence for martials like it was in Pathfinder?

You don't really have melee martials. Overall? Con is pretty meh for how much HP and Stamina you get without it.

I'm not sure if NPCs get Stamina. I know they don't get resolve.

Based on what we have so far, NPCs shouldn't get stamina normally but have I think ~25% more health.

Ok so I just went and looked at the Dead Suns module's creatures. Only on had Resolve and none had Stamina.
Akata CR 1 HP 18
Bone Trooper CR 3 HP 34
Driftdead CR 2 HP 22
Garaggakal CR 5 HP 75 RP 4
Ruazhaunt CR 6 HP 92
Vracinea CR 4 HP 51
Void Zombie CR 1 HP 22

What about Wisdom? Is that still a must-have bumped?

Wisdom is still a great stat. Will saves are important and perception/sense motive are still two powerful skills.

The best stats are Wisdom, Int and Dex.
The worst stat is Charisma. Because it alone has no mechanics other than it's related skills.

Dex is probably the new must have.
Because guns are a thing, and so dex will be a big part of doing damage for most people. In addition to initiative, ref save, and AC.

Man, the math in this game is awful. Played one of the level 1-2 adventures today. The starship combat opening took two fucking hours. You need to roll above average to do something you're good at, needing 14s for our best suited to hit the enemy, and dealing with giant sacks of hit points that mathematically couldn't realistically beat us, just waste two hours.

And then we land were attacked by a monster who hits our highest a.c. On a 5, dealing 70% of our hp in a hit, dual attacking and dropping someone every round. With its a.c. that, again, our fighters hit on a 13.

What a shit time.

They did want to avoid everyone being able to one-shot everyone (both ways), so that much isn't necessarily an issue.

It does feel damned odd that there's THAT much of a difference though because they did it entirely with weapons. A Zenith Laser Rifle for example deals 8.5 times the damage of an Azimuth. An old 9x15 115gr delivers 481 joules, but a 5.7x28 AP (534 joules) while certainly a more advanced design most definitely does not deliver more punch than a .303!

What's the average AC of CR 1 and 2 monsters?

Does the game really hover around 40% success chance on the things you're an expert at all the way?

11-13 EAC and 12-15 KAC

I'm more referring to what looks like it's going to be a lot of HP bloat on the creature side.

That' interesting, but doesn't really change anything number-wise. It just means that it's all HP and still needs to be ~500 minimum for a CR 16 creature. That makes sense from a standpoint of 'monsters are one shot and won't need stamina durhur!' but it's a shame that monster/npc mechanics are divorced from PC mechanics.

If you mean skills, someone who keeps their ability mod high, has max ranks in the skill for their level, and has a bonus to that skill specifically from their class can expect a fairly consistent 75% or so success rate vs. a level appropriate check (unless it's opposed), plus or minus 5% or so. Everyone else can start competent in most anything if they set their mind to it, but will fall behind until they can't even get an even chance of success.

the CRB link in the repo is expired.

does anyone have a new link to put in the OP?

preferably Mega so it doesn't just die in a week.

I have just discovered how bad the Computer skill DCs are, and am surprised no one is talking about that. That it's effectively impossible to root a Tier 1 computer on a natural 20 with max computer mods until 5th level.

Any sort of combat hacking is effectively impossible, and unless I'm missing something, the DC's to root Tier 7-10 computers is pretty much impossible in any normal play. DC 65? Yay!

archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/text/starfinder/username/mageguru/

thanks, palorino.

Seconding this, was about to download it and just found out it expired. sucks.

NOPE.JPEG

Tier 1 Computer DC to hack is 17. A mechanic with Skill focus, 1 rank and an 18 INT is at +8.

Rooting a Tier 1 computer is IMPOSSIBLE for a mechanic maximized toward doing so until 5th level at which point they still have to roll a 20 to do so (and must have been a Lashunta).

That's a 45% chance. If you need to do it faster than 3 rounds, you're now down to a 20% chance for a 2 rounds of time and you can't do it in a single round.

It gets progressively worse from there.

ummm, a lot of that math is off.
+3 for having a trained skill. +1 to computers for bypass.
So no need for skill focus, Level 1 mechanic with 1 rank and 18 in is at +9.
And that's in a situation with no circumstance bonuses and can't take 10. So at risk, no prep time, etc.

So you get a 60% chance to succeed, with just Int 18 and skill, with no bonuses.

Congratulations, you have found an exception to my general statement by finding something that disregards the already screwed up scaling by going and having even more screwed up scaling. Would you like to mention starships next? Because computers are basically running at 15+2*level, except their levels count twice since they only go up to 10.

>bitches don't know bout scaling starship difficulties
>dc 60 to do a barrel roll at level 20
>difficulty to pilot increases as you pimp your ride

>the better you get, the worse you are
fucking A+ game design, Paizo.

They had to get those books out to GenCon, user! They had to!

>correct math
It's still impossible to get root access though, unfortunately.

>Okay, so about that Droid... How does I do it? I want something with the Combat Chassis and Close Quarters, what mods would you say are critical for this to work?

I'm going to assume the silence means a bladewolf is out of the question.