he claims his fantasy setting is interesting and he doesn't even have a !notIndia

> he claims his fantasy setting is interesting and he doesn't even have a !notIndia

It's like you fuckers aren't even trying.

Other urls found in this thread:

theoi.com/Ther/DrakonHesperios.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamadhenu
planetcustodian.com/2015/10/03/7873/indian-villagers-worshiping-newly-built-toilets-instead-of-using-them.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

To do India in fantasy justice, you need to make it the spotlight of the setting. If not, it will just a really shallow exotic place far away with lots of monkey-people and elephants.

Would they worship Minotaurs?

Well I have multiple hellish planes. That seems close enough

This is a fair answer. But if you put a decent amount of effort into fleshing it out I feel like it could be an interesting non-kitschy setting.

Sure, why not.

That's... actually an interesting idea, user. I may use this sometime.

What might be cool would be to have not!India be in a civil war, with the Minotaurs and their followers on one side and some other race-centric faction on the other side (monkey, elephant, etc). Make it a religious war. Boom.

DESIGNATED

Minotaurs are not cow people. They are abominations created by a cursed union between mortal and god. There is also only supposed to be one.

user, pls, what else would The Sewage Plains be?

Look, everyone. He posted it again!

In your setting sure

Cow people aren't a thing in indian mythology.

>What might be cool would be to have not!India be in a civil war,
And given that it's an enormous empire nearby regions and states are constantly trying to get something out of it for themselves. The setting would be based around this yuge, millennia-old empire beginning to collapse in on itself and the ensuing power vacuum.

Okay, I see your point, but allow me to present my rebuttal.

Fuck you I do what I want. Cow people. Plural.

But in a fantasy setting that does, id bet they'd see them as demi-gods

> my interpretation of this mythological trope is objectively correct

I raise you cow people all being well-endowed girls with only fur that naturally appears similar to cowprint bikinis to keep them decent

Except he's right. The Minotaur is a firmly established character in Greek myth. You might as well name a load of lightning-people Zeuses.

I like your style and would also like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Minotaurs and Zeuses aren't real. You can do literally whatever you please with the concept. Besides, what're you gonna do about it?

>You might as well name a load of lightning-people Zeuses.
I'm okay with this.

Dude we are just theorizing on different interpretations and new ways of using that established character.

Just inform you that you're a pleb. What else did you want?

Of course you are.

No, you're attempting to make a unique creature into a whole mundane race, taking away anything interesting about it and ending up with "cow-people". Like those retards that have Medusas, or Hydras.

>Just inform you that you're a pleb

Oh, ooooh, ouch. Oh that cuts me deep. Some stranger on the internet thinks he has better taste them me. Oh how such barbs sting. Ouch oof.

Fuck you, you ain't anybody I care about.

And you're a nobody, so why are you getting all uppity?

Why must ideas be static? I mean our idea of what a Minotaur is probably isn't the original one, it's what happened after god knows how many slight changes over each retelling of the story resulting in something radically different then the original.

Cuz your bitch ass started getting uppity with me and saying dumb shit.

Ideas improve through good changes. Taking away the mystical aspect of a character and demoting them to the level of a generic race is an extremely bad change.

Calm yourself down, son. You're getting upset over nothing.

Why can't a race be mystical? What if other aspects of the minotaur besides the mysticism fit into something you're looking for?

You're not really doing anything with the character except using its name.

Why not having the Followers of Taurus fighting against strange invaders from the deserts that worship the undivided truth and its herald (Not!Islam).

The old Empire collapsed and the Monkey priest caste fell when their hyrophant died. Now the followers of Taurus rule...but barely control anything besides the capital and the heartlands.

The Empire is splintered and the monotheists took their Chance. Will they win?

>cursed being
>trapped in a labyrinth
>related to stars in some way
>devours human flesh
>sea deity involved
>a unique being

Could easily make it some sort of eldritch abomination, with connections to the stars and the sea, and only vaguely appears to have a bull-like head and humanoid body. But making it a race means it becomes almost common-place and mundane.

>Like those retards that have Medusas, or Hydras.
Fuck off. There are multiple gorgons and hydras since the ones the Greek heroes slew were named versions of said creatures.
>Medusa the gorgon
>the Nemean Hydra

POO

>being this much of a pleb

I said calling them MEDUSAS, plural. But still, there are only three Gorgons.

And no, there was only one Hydra, and it only had LERNAEAN in its name because that's where it was found, as single individual birthed from Typhon and Echidna.

Get an education.

I DON'T NEED TO

Autism unchained

>You're getting upset over nothing.

pls be troll

user is there any chance you're that DM?

minotaurs are also firmly established monsters in fantasy
as are a number of other things taken from specific and clearly defined myths

hello and welcome to the fucking fantasy genre

Deep ones are a race, and they aren't exactly common-place (as far as humans know) or mundane (as far as humans know).

I don't know enough about India to make more than the most superficial expy setting.

I could read some books about India but that's a good deal of work and I find it more rewarding to draw on the history and fiction set in mediaeval Europe that I've been gradually imbibing all my life.

Meanwhile, in the year 4017

>I'm telling you, there's only supposed to be one Pyramid Head and it's a cursed product of the unison between the gods Konami and Sony
>Yeah, but Pyramid Heads are a well established monster in fantasy, and what about all them later stories that included him in them?

There are multiple multi-headed snakes in Greek myth, though. For example, the Hesperian Dragon is typically depicted as a multi-headed snake just like the Lernean Hydra.

theoi.com/Ther/DrakonHesperios.html

And the Book of Revelations is all about the jew's relationship to the Roman Empire. That doesn't stop people from coming up with alternative interpretations for it.

I want this setting.

*jews'/christians'

Fantasy in the year 4017

>Rifles were a pleb weapon, real nobles used pistols like alphas.
>Dragonscale armor was obviously the height of armor technology at the time, the ancient vid scrolls Future Weapons said so repeatedly.
>Who cares if Kevlar bikinis aren't practical, they're cool!

IN

>dwarven geomancy allows for the cultivation of geodes into city-sized chambers
>international corpse smuggling fuels the war machine of the first lich and his crawling undersea necropolis, partially made of rotten flesh. Besides other things, it uses necromancy to create explosive undead, including whales.
>imperial bureaucracy uses around 30.000 seers to find out the worth of your taxes a month from now
>a nation of megatherium herders based on gaucho romanticism
>universal Soldier-esque frankstein-like steampunk cyborgs opress the populace serving a titanic analogic computer
>sea and moon goddess is a giant mermaid whose fins generate the sea currents. She spawns spell pearls and her bellybutton is a maelstrom leading to inseide the moon. It is hollow.
>orcs are unplayable bone-scarred necrogenic apes
>the war god's avatar is made of 300 soldiers acting in perfect unity
>Slavery is legal
>ley lines are metaphysical links between people which conduct prana and are the basis of the whole Creation. If you have any kind of feelings for someone, you have a ley line connecting you to that person. If that person has feelings for you as well, the ley line goes both ways. This web sustains reality. Love and hate literally move the world.
>leyships
>spontaneous combustion is diagnosed as a disease
>two gods don't exist 364 days of the year
>Repetition muskets
>a prison made from chained ship hulks in the midst of a lake
>therapeutic curses
>giant snakes made of corindon
>sea centipedes with fins instead of legs
>sultans are djinns and the superior caste of their land
>mountain dwarfs build citadels of pykrete
>two unique races
>kobolds are dragon larvae, one in a million actually evolves into a dragon.
>the above invented handheld rocket launcher pods
>dwarven war shovels and steel bows
>samurai use firearms

1/2

Prana is the primordial element from which all others are made. It is also know as life-force or soulstuff, because souls are self-contained and organized acumulations of prana. Any and all sentient beings have souls*, while animals have proto-souls. Having a soul in the first place demands that something has its own name, making it distinct enough that it may acquire spiritual links with other soul-possessing beings. Such links are called "ley lines", happening whenever one develops feelings of any kind upon something**. Prana flows through ley lines***.

The planet in question qualifies. Known as Ghara by most of its inhabitants, all of which either developed strong feelings upon it. Fondness of one's homeland, hating a war-torn kingdom, wishing to conquer your neighbors' lands, all this makes a ley line ultimately connected to the planet itself. The daily routine of one billion soul-possessing mortals sustains Ghara's Soul, which is further strengthened by being worshipped as a earth-goddess/father-god/Land Spirit by most of them.

Gravity is not an effect of mass, but of prana. Ghara's Soul is the greater concentration of prana other than the Sun. Its cosmic purpose is to make itself suitable for the living of soul-bearing creatures. Its own survival also depends on having souls linked to it.

That's why gravity is uniform throughout the crust: more living space to eventually house soul-bearing beings. Dwarfs are the most common example of this."

If you think that you make an interesting setting by throwing not!SomePlace into it, you are part of the reason why the setting is shallow and not even trying

/thread

2/2
That's why certain asteroids and small planetary bodies have a gravity far greater than their mass, while some desert and dead planets have a pull as weak as the moon and are currently slowly disintegrating.

Theoretically, a nameless and unfeeling being could be free of gravity, but its metaphysical make-up would be so distorted as to make it dangerous. Ghosts such as the death cloud are posited by some scholars as proof of this.

*Except for demons and devils; their cosmical existence is parasitic, feeding upon the prana of existence. They favor souls because those are a concentration of refined prana, but some demons are known to engage in grand-scale draining of prana from the environment itself. Wastes such as the Unquiet Lands are places which never recovered from their invasion 500 years ago.

**This phenomena is also responsible for generating new prana which the ley web conducts into the stars, where it is refined and partially transformed into the other elements. Sunlight is refined prana.

***A soul can be thought of as a single ley line formed into a dense knot, whose arrangement is so unique as to codify the memories, personality and even physical characteristics of the corresponding being. It also takes the place of DNA."

>reads one book of Greek myth
>assumes it's all static and that people didn't change whatever they wanted to when they retold stories
How did Orion die, user? Was he slain by Artemis after Apollo tricked her, or stung to death by Scorpio, who follows him in the night sky?

Get an education.

>Lel, your setting is not interesting!
>Let's throw in some shallow version of real world region, forcefully shoehorned in!
kys

all my player characters started in my settings india...in fact most of them were surprised when i described every single npc as having dark brown skin

Fantasy in the year 4017
>Why were there so many guns found in the ruins of the Old world if it was so easy for swordsmen to dodge the bullets or cut them in half? It doesn't make any sense.
>Yeah, that's why in my setting guns barely exist at all. They were probably mainly used for the knives they stuck on the end, to save metal. The metal guns were probably just status symbols, it would make sense for those to be impractical.

>!notIndia
I too have been reading The Black Company.

I don't want to run a high powerlevel campaign

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamadhenu

>samurai use firearms
What the fuck is this bullshit? 0/10

Elves and Dwarves were both established peoples in Norse Myth, look at them now you philistine.

What are you doing on Veeky Forums, zelazny?

>Besides other things, it uses necromancy to create explosive undead, including whales.
but what are the other things

Undead of many assorted parts, shaped as a drider which makes "silk" out of tendons. Those creatures are guardians and stitchers which mend the crawling archipelago that the first lich calls "home" and "Neftul Necropolis". The islands are linked by chains made of undead processions shepherded by giant flies.

The "islands" are actually parts of an dismembered titan which the lich has been fixing for the last couple millennia, using dead flesh, undead and the "tendon silk" as raw materials.

A couple other uses for its necromancy:

-gather rotten prana and feed the foetus the titan had inside it when dying to make it be "born" and possibly use its powers to subvert Existence.

-it also created control eye tattoos which feed upon the host's soul to provide the lich with "cameras" and channels through which it can launch spells.

-it makes undead out of pretty much all animals it can find.

-Its most feared creations are the Gashadokuro, giant skeletons impervious to mundane weapons during the night. Combined with the toxic death cloud ghosts, the lich is promoting the supernatural version of WW1 upon a steampunk nation.

t. Athenian

>and only vaguely appears to have a bull-like head and humanoid body
Fun fact, some of the earliest depictions of the minotaur have a bull body and human head.

>Being this obtuse
What if someone will tell you they've figured out ranked volley fire roughtly 20 years before Europe? And that was after having muskets for less than 30 years.
Japs are weird. Accept it, or they will always surprise you.

That is actually my idea for the civilization born from the lost architecture of the Greek influenced areas in ancient India.

I guess you hate calling gorgons "medusas" too, eh? Does saying "Pegasi" trigger you? Chimera?

THE

I'd like to, but I always end up getting tripped up by Indian Mythology wherever everyone is like a small aspect of just three gods and their wives.

Damn, I wish I had your sense of focus. Whenever I try to develop a setting, I inevitably lose interest within a week and move on to another. It's fucking terrible and I hate it because all I want to do is worldbuild something worthwhile.

>so stupid, he has to steal someone else's insult

Yeah, they're shit now. Which is exactly my point. Thanks for backing me up.

>Not India
>More interesting than Not Rome

>let's all just act like ignorant plebs because muh fantasy!!1!

You're free to wallow in the mire, just don't expect me to join you.

LOO

/Thread

Personally, I think he's actually legit enraged by it. What a boring one-issue autist he is.

I can't imagine what it would be like for the autist who's hung up on an autist and their hang ups. Like autistic Russian dolls, with your petty little self all snug in the disappointing centre.

But... I already have Goblins.

Goblins are short, filthy, and horny.
Goblins shit wherever they want.
Goblins worship the weirdest things (like cows and toilets).
Goblins have a sacred river that's served goblinkind since antiquity... and they fill it with dead bodies and excrement.

Why do I need Indians?

SHITTING

>Not!India and Not!Islam

Who would willingly choose to play such a terrible setting?

planetcustodian.com/2015/10/03/7873/indian-villagers-worshiping-newly-built-toilets-instead-of-using-them.html

STREETS

>deliberatly put a india analoge in mine
>had to look up all that wild and crazy ass indian hindu mythology
>become orange-pilled irl, realize we have entered the kali yugi
what a rush

Patience would be more important than focus. And this includes patience with oneself in my case. The rest is obssession and partnership if only with a friend to talk and correct.

This all took years and it's going to take several more. There were breaks, whetver caused by life or self-imposed. Sometimes one gets fed up with one's lack of progress. The advantage in making an actual big world in this case is that I then focus in other section.

If you look at the list, I kinda have several settings in one, each a nation or continent with its own themes. For example, the repeater muskets and the divine snake made of corindon are part of the african fantasy counterpart area.

Hope this all helps somehow, sometime.

this link was found by googling toilet witch

Are you trying to spell "corundum"?

Yes. I'm not used to the word in portuguese, much less in english.

>Rome will never come back
>Not even as some shitty Franco-Italian-Iberian-Belgian union that pretends to be Rome
Why even keep on living?

>It's like you fuckers aren't even trying.
No, it's a "I don't care about them, then or now" kinda thing

>Throws Not!India into a setting
>It's like you fuckers aren't even trying
Irony is strong in you

>>Believing late antiquity fan fiction.

This. This guy probably then goes on how not!Europe has been done to death

>tfw Charlemagne almost reunited the Roman Empire but the Byzantine Princess died on the way to the wedding

Fucking this. The best Indian setting ever.
You can either go for a high powered campaign between gods, or you can try playing some people under the banner of Buddha.

what is berserk

A setting that barely has anything to do with India, user.