WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>I shall fear nothing, for I am what you fear.
youtube.com/watch?v=pQYtbAnRy98

>Previous Thread(s):

does anyone fucking know how to paint black fucking warp-fucking-stone so i can finish my nagash model and post it on here

She's the only one I have.... but God has she been hit hard with the ugly stick. She lives with my chainsword wielding "Space Eunuch". Not sure what GW was thinking when they named him.

So I won some store credit at my FLGS and figured it was as good a chance as any to get into 40k. I picked up a beginner paint set that came with clippers, paints, glue, and a brush, and some adeptus mechanicus skitarii.

what the fuck do I do now?

Oh and I've got some gray spray primer I was using for craft projects, is gray primer alright? I see most people use black.

Watch Duncan, paint dudes, have fun.
And remember to thin your paints.

Clip minis, shave minis, glue / prime, thin, layer, highlight/drybrush, base, seal. Good luck

make sure you get some more paints
That starter kit has a good variety but it obviously won't be enough
Are you gonna do the standard red robes?

any color is fine it just changes how your base coats will apply/look.

Roll for your next project

Will do

>shave minis

x-acto knife, right?

Yeah I'm not gonna be able to afford more citadel paints, I lucked out with the store credit. It's gonna have to be the wal-mart brand for any color not in the kit. Married life is suffering sometimes.

Red robes, yeah.

Got it, thanks.

LET'S DO THIS

You should look into Vallejo paints, they sell them at hobby lobby, about half the price of GW paint

>marines

Thanks for the tip. I might be able to pick some of that up. I'm going to need more brushes anyway so a trip to hobby lobby is in the cards.

No Novamarines.

Fuck off nigger

So, as a first-time painter, I fizzled around with some paints and mixing and applied some to my plastic minis. After all, I'm not pleased with the color (how it came out, how thick the paint was etc.)

Question now is: how do I remove the paint from the plastic without damaging it? Will my Basing be damaged too, do I need to respray it with base coats? I heard from people in my LGS that they had always mediocre results trying to remove paint from minis.

Another simple question: As stated I'm new to painting at all (I gailed arts miseeably in school) and I'm not having that many colors available. However I'd like to mix certain stuff, e.g. black+grey, to get a darker grey for example. Should I try to keep this in a wet palette, or should I consider buying new paints for the sake of consistency? Reminder, I'm pretty bad at drawing and stuff related.

Thanks in advance for your answers. Cheers.

>how do I remove the paint from the plastic without damaging it?
Meet your new god.

Store credit dude here. One of my friends is offering to trade me his shittily painted guard army for my extra Kindle. It's a complete army he says. Should I do it? I didn't realize I could remove paint from minis so I hadn't even been considering it (it's REALLY bad)

Shame I'm not from America; I'm from overseas. I assume this is some kind of glass cleaner? Would that actual work too, or would that dissolve my mini? Kinda afraid after hearing many of those 'yea it dissolved/broke' stories.

a few dollars spent on some simple green or on the Easy-Off oven degreaser can turn a shite army into a fresh new one waiting to be painted.

Soak them in pine sol for like 3-4 hours and scrub with a toothbrush (repeat this untill you reach a point where you want)
It won't be 100% but if you want to avoid corroding the plastic don't just pop em in there and leave for 24 hours like some tutorials might say, the trick is to keep an eye on the progress.
You will definitely have to re-prime.

As for the paints just do what your comfortable with, if your worried about consistency keep a notebook of what you mix and the ratios you use.
Don't be afraid to try new stuff user

Thanks. I'm not really finding myself all comfortable seeing that I'm a late-bloomer regarding the painting stuff. People tell me to 'just do it and learn' but I kinda feel bad if people are like 'lol your first minis suck' because they're pretty invested and good at it.

What's your friend mean my by "complete"? Any idea of how many men or the kinds of vehicles he's offering?

Slow and steady progress. Bottom right is gfs first model

/wip/ is pretty good at doing our best to give good feedback, in between the memes and shitposting. We were all scrubs once (I still am).
>gf's first model
she's a keeper

Use methylated spirits, it doesnt harm plastic and you can get it in any DIY store, plus its cheap as chips.

He's got a tank with a dozer blade on the front, kinda diagonal shaped, a jeep with an artillery piece on the back, one of the chicken walker things (sentinel?), about 75 guardsmen of various models (he says he has rogue trader era and some OOP steel legion), about 15 heavy weapons crews, and a plastic carrying case full of bits. and probably more stuff I don't remember off the top of my head

Don't get down on yourself because your models don't look perfect right away. Patience is key.

don't see why you needed to specify it was your gfs model but ok

You're not going to jump to Eavy Metal standard after 2 hrs of painting. Practice and enjoy the journey. Everybody sucks when they start out.

It's a lot better nowadays; you can watch Dunc on YT or read tutorials online. There was none of that when I was a kid.

Don't see why you needed to specify that I needed to specify that but okay. Thx 4 input

Yeah, seems worth it.

just seemed like you are showing off.

i like those user

i did some painting after the last update but not enough for new pics. i decided to build and paint the rest of the unit so it's going to be done. i'm going to let them dry overnight and then ad the last details and the bowstrings

If you want to play Imperial Guard, then yeah, that sounds like a good deal.

I thought saying nothing would imply that it's mine, which it isn't. Still think it's badass and wanted to share. It's like some people try find something to be triggered at. Sorry if I triggered you user

I just hate when people need to add they have a gf in their conversations if they are not asked. we don't need to know you have one.

I need to know if they've got a loved one into the hobby. It lifts my spirits

Cool, I'll post pics tomorrow.

why would that lift your spirits? to be alone and see him happy is irritating.

besides every "gf" paint job ive seen is an offence to the eyes. wrong colors and thick paints.

>getting mad when someone mentions a gf
>implying ppl need to wait until you ask them anything
Wew lad. On a wip note here's the guy I'm currently working on. Still havnt figured out a flesh technique I'm happy with. Open to suggestions. Apologies to the user for posting this specific model without specifically being asked

Use him as an example and try to better yourself. You don't have to stay in your basement forever

rollin

Fucking lel. Looks great. No idea about flesh. I still use the Tallarn Flesh foundation paint (laughs maniacally at your jealousy)

dont twist what I said into something its not. you can post whatever model you want , this is a wip thread. but it isnt a look guys I have a gf thread.

I like how you assume im living in my basement fucking insults from 6 years ago. im not learning from some fuck im my own person.

Bitter angry people spreading their own misery. Why come into a wip thread with such a negative attitude? Dunno if edgy teen or legit mgtow permavirgin.

>calling people permavirgin on Veeky Forums

I'm happily married for seven years. :^)

Stop projecting. Nobody is showing off. I credited the actual painter of the model rather than pretend is was mine. Would you be as triggered if I said it's a friend's?

Hey now, Veeky Forums also has lots of divorced grognards or soon to be divorced grognards like this guy

im neither of those things. why am I the bad guy and not the egocentric ive got a gf look at me guy

then why are you on Veeky Forums?

dont include it it isnt YOUR wip if she wants to post it let her. I can tell you right now I wouldnt let anyone paint my models.

Just got my first ten boyz ready for fightin'

C and C welcome

the metal parts need more color

>then why are you on Veeky Forums?

> share gfs model in a collage with 5 of your own models and need to defend yourself because you mentioned a gf

Wow.

I feel like if you are 30+ you should be at the drop all ties part of life boring and old

I dont get what the "wow" is for

My leviathan in need of basing

>I feel like if you are 30+ you should be at the drop all ties part of life boring and old

Never too old to shitpost, friend.

I really like that rust effect how did you do it?

its strange seeing anyone past 30 with a personality. my parents cut all ties and became parents not aloud to drink have friends or do anything like this.

Looks great for a first squad.
Don't forget to do the bases, no model is complete without a base!

Your parents sound like the most boring people in the world, no wonder you're getting so mad at people enjoying things

this looks rad, what chapter/legion?

no they are responsible yours are party drunk idiots

It's all about not picking a horrid shrew of a wife. I had a shit test I did where for a first date I'd take them to McDonald's and split a fries with them. If they complained they were out. But really we're kind of shitting up the thread here.

To get back on topic can someone explain this chart to me?

There's a difference between responsible and boring, you can still drink and have friends while being responsible, the key is striking a balance

yes let me just "stop" being pissed off ok sure. also it was my father who told my mother no friends

my dad told my mother she cant have friends and he got rid of his. im sorry my parents weren't out getting high and drunk.

You must be a fucking troll. how old are you?
keep this shit out of wip

Maybe if you stopped thinking in extremes you would realize that there's a mid point between no friends no alcohol and being a hedonistic pot head. But I guess you're too stubborn to understand that.

Tells you what paints you need to achieve the result on the edge. Start in the middle column and work left or right

im not a troll and im not going to continue talking to anyone who just thinks that because someone is arguing.

I have borderline personality I only see in black and white.

Nice looking stuff dude. Well done for putting more on the base than just that boring texture paint. Looks good

Quit shitting up the thread then. Bye

not your thread and nice fake comment. its death gaurd splash on some green some wash and you have a model not hard.

Leviathans are the best dreadnoughts. it looks lovely

Cool, thanks for that.

I'll pray for you bruh :)

>I only see in black and white.
I hope you learn to fix that mentality before you go out into the real world because reality does not work like that at all.

Also in the topic of /wip/ I got some work done on some assault marines, just need to highlight them and I should be done.

Not him but its death guard

im better then you you think you are better then me cause you have a gf?

you cant "fix" it you ignorant asshole

You weren't kidding lol.

That white on the shoulders is awful t h i c c though, maybe hit it with a 2:1 mix lahmian/nuln all over or just shade round the rim with nuln oil for a better look

well then you're fucked

*wife

have ive been in the "real world" im fine infact I do quite well

I will try to fix it later, but hot damn, white is the bane of my existence

then why do you even have this hobby? if you found your lifes happiness

It's very shit. I recommend keeping the white scar/ceramite white for edge highlights only and do the majority in Celestra Grey layered Ulthuan Grey. Those are much more reasonable paints and don't clog like the white does.

That may be but you are probably one of the most naive people I have ever met.

>relying on people to make you happy

we're reaching CWC levels here people

I'll probably be doing that moving forward because I am sick of working with White Scar and Ceramite White

I mean white paint is shit not your work lol

Sorry

what some bitch boy bs like "oh you need to love yourself oooo" fuck that shit life is about haveing a gf

then go die

32, married, and still shitposting on a Vietnamese flip book message board.

>life is about haveing a gf
Uh no
Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks

disgusting im surrounded by a bunch of old men

Just like in your Chinese cartoons?

Don't lie, that's a normal Friday night for you. Difference is, tonight we're not paying for your company :)

Sponge rhinox hide, sponge fire dragon bright, sponge runefang steel

>what is bukkake