Alternative War Games General /awg/

Chicks dig giant robots.

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Other urls found in this thread:

ohiohammer.squarespace.com/counter-chargeccx/
eoeorbisuk.com/collections/fantasy/range_vermen?page=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Previous thread: Also, /awg/ is having a September group build.
>The theme is some sort of "monster" model
>Timeframe is from the 1st to the 30th of September
>Post a timestamped (prefered) pic of your unpainted mini (assembled and primed is fine)
>Find that one monster mini that has been itching to be painted all this time, and get to work!

Ah shit, sorry! Totally forgot to include that.

I have a Dark Age Tuucha'nak that would be great for this. Unfortunately its stuck in storage while we try to sell the house.

Sadly, the only monstrous models I have unpainted and have not yet started on are a handful of enemies from Kingdom Death (most of which are nemeses). So nothing too outwardly monstrous, and nothing really /awg/ related.

>Dp9
Why do you want people to buy into dead games all the time?

DP9 is spartan tier with how badly managed they are. Less ADD but equal amounts of terrible business practices.

I've got an old Rackham flesh golden and a Scarab Ogre from Wargods, but I don't have the time to paint them (nor much in the ways of skills).

You're entitled to not like them or their products all you like, but the game ain't dead and they just showed off the renders for the plastic Utopia stuff and I thought people here might like to see them for those who may have missed the last thread.

If people want me to stop posting about Heavy Gear then let them speak up and I'll gladly drop it and talk about other stuff.

They literally went to KS because their company was going under otherwise, and they said they wouldn't have to do it again so they're still having monetary issues.

No one plays this game and with good reason.

Can you show me where they said they were never doing another KS? I don't recall seeing that. I remember them saying they would do another for more stuff for the factions from the first one.

Yeah things weren't going great, and so they chose to reboot their game and try and make it more accessible.

You don't like DP9 or their games? That's fine. Do you need to come in and shit on the people who do? Let people enjoy what they want. If we sink money into the game abd the company goes under than that's our problem.

Kings of War is still growing!

>Do you need to come in and shit on the people who do?
DP9 is spartan 2.0 you're being disingenuous shilling their shit without warning people that is is Pitfalls: The Company.

>see OP's post

>about to post "whoa, Heavy Gear is still a thing?"

>read the other posts

.....yeah, that's about what I figured. I actually did like HG back in the day (more for the fluff than the crunch, desu), but it's pretty obvious the guy getting all whiny and defensive about it is a DP9 shill.

the only whining I see is the baawing that DP9 is having a kickstarter

I backed the first one and they made some pretty decent minis. I'm not a huge fan of the three factions they're putting in the upcoming KS but I'm going to keep an eye on it

>The people defending DP9 are literally the people who backed the KS.
lol

I was a DP9 fan before you found out you didn't want your testicles buddy. Get in line.

Not trying to be a shill, just correcting terms. Game isn't dead, other user isn't posting actual evidence of what he claims.

I enjoy the gamd, those renders were brand new, it fits /awg/. If people aren't interested then I'll stop talking about it. I'm not telling people they should buy it, or saying DP9 is flawless. I admit they have flaws, but I can also see they are trying to get better at what they do.

People are entirely entitled to not like them or their games, but that doesn't mean they need to come in and shit up the thread. It's just as bad as the people who go into full rage mode when someone mentions liking Frostgrave.

Speaking of FG, do we know if GA will have rules for firearms? They need a key compenent of pirates to me, but the plastics show bows and arrows.

I don't really care.

Anyway, /awg/ today I found out that the miniatures for Void are still being made, I was surprised since that game died a while ago.

DP9 was a shitty company with shitty management, for years they REFUSED to do plastics because of haughty elitist bullshit reasons. They took their fans for granted, and in general had a "you'll like what we give you or you can fuck off" attitude.

Recently that's changed. They're making plastics, they're very active with communicating with fans, they're having open play tests of all their new editions AND are actually listening to and engaging with fan feedback and play test results.

They're trying to turn around because they know they drove their company into near bankruptcy with their bullshit, so I don't see why you have to cry "shill" and virtually call for boycotts because they WERE a shitty company when they're now actively trying NOT to be.

Is VOID the same as the Urban War thing? With the Junkets and the space Romans and the Viridan or whatever they're called?

Yeah, I think so. If I remember correctly, we've had 3 or 4 different games all set in the same universe over the years.

Yeah, they sort of flowed into Urban War - Void was older and they started with more generic sci-fi sculpts but then they tried to relaunch as Urban War IIRC

I have fond memories of painting up some of these as generic soldier for a Traveller game

Scotia Grendel even sells the plastics, which is nice. I have a small Vasa force on its way to me, which will make me have 15 archangels...think I'll start painting them, and once they're done, I'll pick up a Viridian starter from eBay.

I really dig some of the models in a retro sort of way. Had some really neat designs that I wouldn't mind seeing get some more modern sculpt (mostly better proportions).

I can never recall the namr of the new 10mm game in the setting. I should, my buddy is working on the molds and producing the minis and yet the name always slips my mind.

Age of Tyrants?

Also, on an absolutely unrelated note, following one user's advice, I did the first Mongoose judge with a much lighter green, and it looks nicer, so thanks.

no it isn't :(

Did you back their recent KS?

Yes or no.

That's it! No idea why it won't stick.

That Judge is lookin' good, too!

and you're a prodding dick.

I like 80's Techno and Japanese Tanks. they are shit, but oh god, they are cool!
taste is subjective, we know about the company being dicks. yes, Dp9 has issues. but not AIDS.
please fuck the hell off from our little thread.

FrostGrave?

Glad to hear that you're digging the lighter green. It really does help make the gloves/boots/belt stand out from the uniform.

Where are these guys from? Look almost like Battletech, but no designs I recognize.

Ground Zero Games. Real-scale 25mm for the skirmish game Grunts.

No, I didn't.

The writer said that Frostgrave world has no firearms in the preface to his optional firearm rules.

Speaking of, guy who was adapting/playing KoW in 10mm, how's that going?

I've got an itch to try a new scale.

you literally just slap down some rectangles

just halve all the unit footprint sizes and KoW is adapted

Ah, cool.

Did not know that. Well I guess that makes sense. Just means if I play GA I'll have to find some suitable models that don't have guns.

Why put out firearm rules if your world has no black powder, though?

I painted two armies and have yet to play...

This weekend I painted some more generic fantasy stuff from Gamezone, I love these quite simple designs.

Try that image again...

Considering that it's still impossible to buy any DP9 game if you don't live in the USA, I'd say DP9 is just as dead as Spartan, even if they're officially trading.

Yeah, cause we all know there's no American gaming market...

it's much smaller than worldwide

definitionally yes, but if I'm opening a restaurant I'm not opening 100 restaurants all over the state to try to get the whole market at once.

No other company has issues finding distribution worldwide. Wyrd, PP, even Reaper, which far prefers direct sales, all have some representation abroad. It's almost like DP9 soured all European distributors to the point no one will work with them.

PP and Reaper are larger companies, before PP fucked up they were in the top 5 of tabletop wargames. That's not where DP9 is and if they pretended they were it would be sure to crash the company

>no one will work them

you're that buttblasted user from earlier right? How about some more baseless assumptions, we sure could use more of those.

Why can't dp9 afford graphic artists to make their site look good?

I'm not the user from earlier, though you can believe what you want. Point is, most of the world cannot get their games, DP9 is deader than Spartan if you're outside of their direct neighbourhood. It's a bit embarassing, really.

Does anyone have a scan of Frostgrave: Into the Breeding Pits?

7ch has one

>DP9 is dead, Spartan blurbl blurbl

ok, totally not samefag who uses the exact same wording and tone. I'm sure the lack of capturing the Indonesian market is what'll kill DP9

Believe it or not but that actually is a different guy. I would have called you names by now.

is the heavy gear two player starter box any good?

I don't really care, it's the same message, the same comparison to Spartan, the same child-like tone of declaring something to be true as if the words will make it so. It's tedious garbage desu

the plastic one? I got mine from the kickstarter and they're pretty good quality plastic minis.

It's already dead. It's doors may be open, but it has no presence anywhere. Even in the US people are genuinely surprised the game still exists, and the game is plain unavailable in any other market, including the UK, which probably has the greatest density of wargamers in population on the planet. The game has no foothold, and an awful reputation. If you don't want Spartan as comparison, then let me give you a different one. They're only slightly better regarded than Palladium, and that's probably the level of popularity they can count on if their attempts to re-establish HG as something that people are even aware of succeeds.

what's the game like though? I'm drowning in minis

Prove him wrong?

DP9 makes minis in america and ships them to canada. I'm sure the import tax alone makes them not worth the hassle for international retailers.

Thank you.

All the potential for great games out there, and some armchair faggots whinge over one company or the other.

/awg/ is notoriously tribal when it comes to their games that no one plays.

Speaking of tribal, anyone tried it? Their primeval supplement looks awesome for some caveman action.

There are a few episodes of Counter Charge wherein they discuss the 10mm scene - there's also a FB group for the 10mm community.

ohiohammer.squarespace.com/counter-chargeccx/

>KOW in 10mm
I'm one of those guys. It works fine - the KoW ruleset is really robust and easy to hack. There are a few ways to do it:

(a) Just use small minis and change nothing else. The only mechanical change is the smaller footprint, but since it's universal it doesn't break anything. The larger ratio of distances to model size gives the game a very different feel.

(b) Use centimeters to measure distance. This puts the distances back in proportion with the model size. If you use 40mm wide warmaster bases, it's almost perfect 2/5 ratio. The effect is you have a lot more table. You can play on a smaller board (2'x2', or so), or just do HUGE games.

(c) get in there and start converting everything to be scale appropriate. An issue we had with the huge games in (b) is that the amount of dice you're rolling and / or game time can get a bit out of hand. So then we started playing with the stats to try and speed up resolution... and it works fine, actually. But it's a deep rabbit hole once you go down it.

And of course there's always option (d) too, which is if it's not working for you, just go play one of the many other excellent grand scale rulesets. Warmaster is one of the best rulesets that ever came out of GW, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. A lot of historical systems can also be adapted to fantasy with a minimum of effort.

The quality of minis is decent, yeah. Better be, for the cost. I don't use them for HG though, so I can't speak to that ruleset.

What I can speak to is that the southern army makes pretty good Tau mechs for Epic.

So, how I can get Heavy Gear minis in Spain? Any Spaniard here has seen them in any e-minis site or shop?

With 10mm, do you still do model removal, or just track wounds on the formation?

Model removal would require individual basing which is a bit impractical, you'd generally remove stands of like 5-10 guys at a time.

Of course, KoW doesn't have casualty removal at all so it's a moot point.

Well, colour me retarded. I thought it did! Ta, user. Gonna knock together some test armies and try the system out today.

Just like in normal KoW, there's no model removal, just damage tracking. Warmaster does it at this scale by removing entire stands, so it is possible, but too hard to retrofit onto the KoW rules in my opinion.

We DID play around with changing up the morale system to allow for removing stands and more flexible unit organization during combat, but by that point we're dealing with so many house rules that it doesn't really even resemble KOW anymore.

This is part of the rabbit hole I mentioned at

But why does it worth it for other manufacturers, then?

US company not having retailers outside of the US = a-okay
non-US company not having retailers in the US = "but guise, we DESERVE this for being Americans!"

I know of MoM miniatures, but who are the other drunk spaniards I keep hearing of?

I'm guessing Gamezone are one of them.

Norba

Now in non-sideways vision

Norba and Avatars of War.

Thanks

Stuff like this gets handled by distributors, but to be interesting for a distributor, you need to have enough people willing to buy your product.
There isn't even a distributor for Reaper in Germany/Austria right now, for example.

>There isn't even a distributor for Reaper in Germany
?
You can get them at Miniaturicum or Battlefield Berlin. Probably others too.

Anyone have any guesses as to Harder Than Steel's release date? It looks closer to what I want than Flying Lead, and while I'm willing to get it and do some tweaking, I don't want to do that and then see HTS available a week later.

basecoated space elf space boat.

Repostin' Terminus for those who missed it last thread.

Anyone had a try with it yet?

I don't think there is one.
Andrea also wanted to do an expansion for Rogue Stars, there is no word on that either. The reason I mention this is because somehow I have it in the back of my mind that the expansion was gonna drop first. At least that would make sense since Rogue Stars has a pretty similar idea to HtS. Would make a bit more sense from a business pov I think.

Saying that, you could give RS a look in the meantime, the pdf is floating around there, so...

Got my new MERCS guys in today. Makes me wish I had a knife and some glue at my work desk.

Also the EU Heavy's gun has a wicked small area for the barrels. Ghis mod I'm planning may be more difficult than excepted. I'll have to rummage through my Heavy Gear bits to see if the rotary laser from the black mamba sprue will work for some chop and swap.

NIIIIIIICE

I really dig that converto. What game are you using them for?

They might order them through US channels. My local store doesn't have them unless you order them, and they get them through their US channels with other stuff. But not through a distributor.

Do you just have EU, or do you have other factions, as well?

Also, did you ever find the time to test out the Simple Green on a mini? I recall you being a bit apprehensive about it a few threads back.

I have two complete factions with this purchase: EU amd GCC. I intend to round out my EIC and Waza in the future.

Have yet to try the simple green yet. My wife and I are gearing up for a vacation so life's a little hectic right now and I just haven't had the time to prime anything to test it out. Wednesday I'm gonna try and get something primed and get a few colors on it to use as a test dummy. Probably won't get a chance to really do it until after I get home from my trip.

Thanks for the heads up user. I'll give it a look.

It was just part of some cool stuff that was in the first issue of Spellcaster, the Frostgrave magazine.

Anyone have a copy of Dracula's America for sharing?

If anyone's interested in giant Vikings these guys from Godslayer should be pretty sweet. Ogre Huscarls just makes me happy.

And forgot to add a picture. Derp.

Did you already check the pdf archive thread?

Yeah - last week - you know something I don't?

No, sadly. I just ask out of habit in case someone either doesn't know of the thread, or hasn't first checked there.

Does anyone know of any sources of not-skaven miniatures?

The setting for the game I'm writing has rat men and I'd rather not write a faction that you can't reliably find minis for.

I know Avatara of War has a few like character models, but other than that I can't think of anything as far as like full units.

SJWs on BGG just killed Cthulhuwars.... we can't have nice things.

If you don't mind the more classic GW look, I've found a decent source

eoeorbisuk.com/collections/fantasy/range_vermen?page=1