What system would you use to run a game in the Dresden Codak universe?

What system would you use to run a game in the Dresden Codak universe?

Other urls found in this thread:

shawnstruck.blogspot.com/2014/08/open-letter-to-aaron-diaz-stop-hiding.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's gotta be something REALLY smug and hypocritical, to capture the feel of it.

FATE/Atomic Robo

Where did Aaron Diaz touch you?

>implying Diaz has been able to touch anyone

He touches himself with all the money his euphoric beta orbiters hand him.

This is the first time I've heard of it and I already hate it.

The One Ring but all the elves and dwarves are black women.

Eclipse Phase

This. No kidding.

I've been reading it for ages and I do actually enjoy it a bit but all the flaws that are pointed out with it are correct, and the author is a smarmy cunt.

>I judge entire texts based on a crop of nine panels I've seen on Veeky Forums!
It's a shitty comic, make no mistake, but this attitude really isn't one you should flaunt. First actually read something, THEN decry it as shit.

Aaron Diaz desperately needs to be punched in the face.

Dungeons & Discourse, obviously.

I only know Aron Diaz from that one time he got BTFO by Mary Cagle and his subsequent hissy fit.

He also said that Will Eisner is only famous because of white privilege, while pretending that his Cuban grandma means that he's an oppressed monitory.

I don't really know anything about this comic, but this shit is great
Is the entire comic like this? If it is I might have to give it a read

It's... very much its own thing. And it's very "love it or hate it". Most of Veeky Forums feels obliged to hate it because the artist is an obnoxious SJW and the law says if you don't hate anything made by SJW you are a cuck and that's awful, but if you're willing to look past that there's about a 50% chance you'll be charmed.

This is the only good thing Aaron Diaz has ever done.

Goddamnit, meant to post

So we're not allowed to hate it because it's half assed, the trend following, Aaron Diaz's "redesigns" that show show he barely has a surface level understanding of the characters in question, and lastly Diaz's self-rightous hypocrisy?

Of course you are, but that's not why most of Veeky Forums hates it. Read this very thread. Literally the majority of complaints were centered solely on Aaron Diaz. The fuck do you give about the politics of the person making a comic? If it's bad, hate it for being bad.

That's hardly his main problem. He touches all the bases of shitty webcomics artists

>chronically late, to the point where it's generous to still call him an artist
>sells merch for a comic that essentially doesn't exist anymore. Much more effort goes into the merch than into the comic it's based on
>eternally thinks that he's smarter than he really is. This manifests in a lot of different ways, but the funniest way is in how he thinks he invented gender-swapped characters. He wrote an unsolicited pitch to Nintendo for a gender-swapped Zelda game, and was convinced that Nintendo stole his idea when they did a gender-swapped Link in Hyrule Warriors.
>As user mentioned, wants to be praised just for being 1/4 hispanic, and also wants to be praised for weeb cyborg fetish shit because it involves a female character

I fully agree that Diaz is a shitty person. In fact, I also think that his comic isn't very good. All I'm asking is that people who criticize the comic focus on it, rather than confusing the two. I ask the same of people who criticize books, films or video games based on the shittiness of their creators rather than the product itself.

I dunno, what homebrew has the dm designed to make his DMPC untouchable this week?

Came here to post this

Yes you're both very clever and we're all proud of you. Now be honest- even that comic was him just smuggly jacking off to how clever he is, wasn't it?

I'm developing one, but it's not quite finished, each splat will take roughly 5 years to release and I'll stop making any if anyone makes fun of me on Twitter

Onyx Path developers?

Lets be honest. He also stops if you ask for an ETA.

You have a patreon I can donate to?

Why? His identity isn't a secret. To separate him from his work is an act of bad faith because he is not separate from his work and we all know it.

Would you retroactively stop liking your favorite book if you suddenly found out the writer is a Scientologist or something? If it has nothing to do with the work, it has nothing to do with the work. Even if it's highly political, treat it as being itself highly political, not by relation to its writer.

Of course I would. Anything else would be an act of apologetics for whatever awful thing the author did.

Like 99% of what he makes. Honestly, his arts style is the only reason I've ever bothered, outside of the caveman comic.

No, it'd be representative of a childish inability to separate different ideas. Just like you don't judge someone's arguments based on who they are (that's literally the first fallacy they teach you how not to make in debate courses), you don't judge someone's work based on who they are. And to retroactively stop liking something because you discovered something new about the person who made it is downright absurd (unless you only liked it before because of who made it, in which case you might be missing the point of literature entirely).

And only 1 is about the comic itself.

Seriously nigger? Hitler made some nice paintings, but liking them doesn't mean you liked the way he ran the country

A work of art is not the same thing as a sound argument. There's nothing objective about it that gives it value independently of where it came from. It's purely a matter of tastes, and your tastes say a lot about you, including your politics and what kinds of shit you do and don't consider to be crimes. Tastes can and should be cultivated to place yourself correctly within your culture.

His paintings were shit, which is why he couldn't get into art school. But even if they'd been technically brilliant, anyone who liked them would be endorsing genocide and you know it.

I don't know, is that entirely fair?

I mean, I used to like the webcomic Looking for Group back about... gee, 7-8 years ago. Hadn't heard of Ryan Sohmer's reputation or anything, I was just playing WoW at the time and enjoyed the comic. Anyways I find out he's going to be at the local anime convention. Obviously he wasn't the reason I went, but thought it would be cool to go the booth, maybe get a signed poster. Long story short, he was a jackass, and treated me like I was't worth his time, despite spending money at his booth so he and the artist could sign a poster.

I realize that an artist doesn't actual owe their fans anything, but in the case of people like Sohmer and Diaz their behavior effects their professional work and it's fair to judge their work by that behavior.

Five different systems that we'll switch between whenever anyone feels like it, all splatbooks allowed but only on hours that end in a 0 or 2 and only on everything 13th page.
All dice rolls must be taken in the ceiling lampshade, only dice that fall back out onto the table are valid.

I dislike that one because he's smuggly jacking off to his own misunderstanding of Science fiction. It's amusing until you realize he's trying to make a statement. Then it's just sad

FATE or Amber Diceless.

It sounds like you're doing a No True Scotsman on science fiction. Plenty of science fiction stories are about some speculative technology causing horrible problems and therefore have sort of a Luddite tone. This is not only to exploit readers' existing prejudices and comfort zones, but also because science fiction is still fiction and you need conflict and problems to have a good story. Techno-utopian ramblings don't make for a coherent narrative, as Dresden Codak accidentally shows.

It sounds like you didn't read enough of those to get the actual theme: we should strive for this, but be cautious. A lot of azimov was about robots causing problems, but he believed they were inevitable and could be useful if we used hem right

So, 5eD&D?

>anyone who liked them would be endorsing genocide and you know it.
What? No, of course no. How even? You keep saying those things unironically that I literally cannot imagine - as in, I cannot even conceive of a way, and I'm seriously trying here - anyone saying and meaning. You are running on Wonderland-tier logic by this point.

Which was revolutionary back in the day, because people's expectation from any story about robots was that it would be a very simple warning tale about making robots. Obviously, Diaz doesn't think ALL science fiction is like that since he himself writes transhumanist fiction that is the completely opposite basically by definition. He's simply poking fun at the fact that A LOT of science fiction, particularly early on, had an ironically anti-progress message and a somewhat fetishistic focus on the idea that any attempt to change the scientific status quo must end in disaster.

Nah, GURPS or Dungeonworld.

Let's not forget how he modelled his female character after his at-the-time girlfriend

>But even if they'd been technically brilliant, anyone who liked them would be endorsing genocide and you know it.

Damn some a well earned (You), don't spend it all in one place!

Oh god, really? That's beyond Ed Greenwood levels of creepy.

There's a great bit of parody art about Daiz with him prancing about making excuses for his nonsense right down to making sure his fictional waifu is shaved, it breaks my heart that I can't find it a few years later.

Who is it that you like, user? Who is making you do these mental gymnastics so that you can tell yourself that it's okay to like his work even though he's a terrible human being? Who did you sell your soul to because it was easier than changing your comfortable habits? Is it Diaz? Or maybe it's Orson Scott Card. Fuck, I hope it's not L. Ron Hubbard.

I don't know why you're assuming any of that, I just really can't see how an adult person who doesn't have some kind of actual, no-joke issue would unironically think it makes sense to RETROACTIVELY stop liking something because you found out you actually disagree with the creator's politics or something. Like, I'd even get it if you said you did that if you knew them beforehand. That's legit. People can't always be logical, we're emotional beings, sometimes you hate someone so much it clouds your judgement and you're doomed to hate everything they do on principle. But in retrospect? That implies you actually think there's a connection there. It boggles the mind. I literally don't know how to respond to you. It's like talking to a Martian. It's not anything I can recognize as the human conception of "logic".

weren't there two or three comics of them playing it? also, an honest attempt to crunch-up philosophy based classes and powers in an RPG strikes me as terribly amusing

I'm not sure how anyone can hate since updates so slowly I'm amazed anyone remembers it exists. A lot of it is disjointed and smacks of a need to prove that masters in philosophy wasn't a waste of time. Art is nice though, and the comics with the two gentlemen on the moon are pretty funny.

You just need to know what you're looking for.

Link since I don't want a three day vacation:

shawnstruck.blogspot.com/2014/08/open-letter-to-aaron-diaz-stop-hiding.html

Greenwood did what?

I think it's worth noting that the luddites weren't wrong.

They were textile workers who were replaced by early automation, and pissed about it. They were essentially decently-paid skilled workers losing their jobs to machinery operated by child labor at a fraction of the cost. Automation of the production of basic fabrics has benefited society overall, sure, but it fucked over the people who used to do it the old way. Society may no longer have any use for a hand-loom weaver, but that's no comfort for people who'd been hand-loom weaving for 25 years and have no other marketable skills.

Luddites were not primitivists, they were deposed workers with a legitimate personal grievance towards their former employers, in a time when it wasn't terribly unusual to call in the army to put down a worker's protest. And who then had the army called in to put them down.

Technological progress is necessary, at this point for even basic human survival; the world today is ridiculously unsustainable. Automation of jobs brings prosperity in general, but it's not without a human cost, and it's not so fun if you're the one getting shat on, as perhaps a majority of workers in most industries are about to find out. Hopefully we all end up in Star Trek and not some dystopia where only a small fraction of the population is actually needed for anything productive, and the rest just live on scraps handed out by corporate aristocrats in some kind of bizarre techno-feudalism. Like, good luck trying to make it in art when you're competing against billions of other NEETs on future deviantart. Though bizarrely, there does seem to be a market for furry art no matter how terrible you are at it.

I remember when that happened. It was hilarious.

Oh wow I forgot it was Daiz that decided to make it all about him, you're a star user a real star.

>he got salty and made an angry response to it

Is there a system that changes plot hooks according to the author's developing fetishes?

He's fucking ginger and lecturing others on white privilege?

>He touches himself with all the money his euphoric beta orbiters hand him.
90% of his patreon money comes from his own rich father who is ashamed of him but has to keep appereances.

>The fuck do you give about the politics of the person making a comic?
When those politics include taking a decade to update a single page because you think youself too genious and important to work and are depressed that marxism hasn't taken over the world and given you the cyborg waifu you desserve, it becomes sensible to hate an author for their politics.

>Would you retroactively stop liking your favorite book if you suddenly found out the writer is a Scientologist or something? If it has nothing to do with the work, it has nothing to do with the work.
If he stopped writing because of his cult, I would.
It's why my sister dropped Anne Rice.

The system should do stuff like make you roll for damage before rolling to see if you hit or not, in order to simulate his atrocious paneling.

Some of the other one-shots were fun too. Plot strips are the worst part.

>pic related
>the darwin one
>third-act twists

There was actually a pretty thorough and I daresay not bad attempt at making a real Dungeons & Discourse inspired by the comic. There used to be a wiki dedicated to it with setting information and rules and classes but for some tragic reason I can't seem to find it right now.

Wait, Eisner's Jewish. He still counts as a member of a minority by most accounts. Is it okay for tumblerites to shittalk him now? Doesn't that make you an antisemite?

>the panels actually switch from left-to-right to right-to-left and then back again.
This is something I'd expect on a bored doodle.

Even back then you can see his love of amazing butts fighting to get out in the bottom left. If only he was self-aware he'd be a treasure instead of a curiosity.

You're behind, hating Jews is cool now, you just need to say you hate Israel and say something about Palestinian self-expression.

>nationalism is bad
>but Palestinians should have their own country
>but Israel shouldn't exist
>and god forbid there exist any place in the world where any sort of white people are a majority.

I have a difficult time understanding this logic.

>logic
That's the problem.

It really warms the heart that the far right and far left can both forget their differences and come together when it comes to hating Jews.

So he's makig fun of a concept that hasn't been common for 80 years? Good for him. How brave. Im sure he's noticed lotr has some pacing issues, too.

>Im sure he's noticed lotr has some pacing issues, too.
It's lack of diversity is more problematic.

>a concept that hasn't been common for 80 years
You really should watch more science fiction. And I'm specifically using "watch" because, that being an anti-intellectualist statement that by its nature has less appeal to the more intellectual crowd that READS science fiction today, you tend to see it more often in films. You really just have to point at a science fiction film that came out in the recent years from anywhere but Disney and there's a not bad chance it'd somehow blame science for bad stuff. That godawful Johnny Depp movie Transcendence comes to mind, but that's just because of how unsubtle about it it was. From last year alone, you got Planet of the Apes, the new Alien films (with their longstanding obsession with making scientists into cackling maniacs obsessed with meddling with shit beyond their ken), Life... and that's just off the top of my head.

It's certainly not a trend that disappeared with black and white television.

seeing as it lacked a fundamental understanding of ANY of the philosophers or their ideas he namedropped, yeah, it's just him jacking off for being able to quote wikipedia.

Jojo?

>Planet of the Apes
Which mind you, gets a double score because the original films were actually NOT anti-science in a period where it was more popular. The new ones, especially the first (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) almost feels like it takes some kind of delight in showing scientists (and the current Satan of the trend, businessmen financing scientists) as ruthless megalomaniacs whose dangerous, dangerous experiments with medicine (not to mention the potential to increase human intelligence, something that always terrifies people) create a humanity wiping pandemic and uplift all the chimpanzees.

>So he's makig fun of a concept that hasn't been common for 80 years? Good for him. How brave.
In case you haven't noticed, that's SJWs 101. They complain about 1960's gender politics, 1970's comic books, 1980's race relations, 1990's video-game tropes and 2000's cinema like it was all being followed like dogma today despite nobody giving a damn.

If they actually criticized contemporary injustice they might actually have to deal with confrontation and the fact that most injustices today are consequence of Clinton's presidency.

Holy shit, you're fucking retard. The point of the comic is two fold:
1- the way that cautionary tales are told in sci fi is way too often unimaginative and trite, and the heel turn is often for no reason beyond the author thinking 'x' is unnatural and shouldn't be allowed
2- The world is way too complex for us to be able to predict what will actually be the effects of developing new technologies. To use the comic, while shitting in holes might cause problems of some kind, those problems do not include the shit landing on your head.

The whole point of the comic is that self righteous morons (like yourself) can't begin to predict the effects of new technological developments, so writing stories of this type is just scaremongering to profit off the new and poorly understood

Nothing much.
The Seven Sisters in the Forgotten Realms stories all very much feel like waifus in a way we're not comfortable with these days, and he had this odd habit of having them all end up nude. None of this makes it into the setting itself, (other than the ridiculous bdsm bullshit of the drow, but even Greenwood himself has said that crap was all Salvatore's fault.)
In the end, it's mainly the fact that he's vaguely sex-positive, and Veeky Forums's salty about never being able to get laid so we're only okay with sex when it involves nude chicks drawn by Asians.

You mean space dramas? Those aren't really science fiction, and if that's what he's responding to...m well, gotta question his berd cred.

Also, give me anrecent example. Even I, Robot had the robots be ultimately good, with one exception.

Welcome to Aaron Diaz's approach to panel layout. His webcomic is somehow even worse.

I like Dresden Codak. It's the sort of pseudo-intellectual references and clever ideas which I really enjoy.

His plot.... really.... drags... and I think I liked his one-shots better. But it's hard to keep the clever juices flowing. If he could stop treating his plot like a job and interspace some clever one-shots into the mix, I think it'd be all the better for it.

Yeah, dude just needed to admit that he likes tits. Whiny feminist "all representations of women drawn by men are in MALE-GAZEY way" is fucking dumb. But she has a point of trying to uplift others.

Yeah it was good when he was mucking around with one shots, random ideas and jokes.

Now he's trying to treat his characters seriously and make deep and serious plots which isn't working because Kim is the worst character in the comic.

Remember the time she bashed an unaware old man in the back of the head with a rock so she could save the Singularity or something?

>Now he's trying to treat his characters seriously and make deep and serious plots which isn't working

Well it's not AS good.

>because Kim is the worst character in the comic.

Meh. A bit of a mary sue, but whatever. The "mysterious past" is overplayed.

>Remember the time she bashed an unaware old man in the back of the head with a rock so she could save the Singularity or something?
Whatever. Like I give a fuck. Wait... did you mean worst as in morals? Pffffft, go home kid.

Dresden Codak is really pretentious, though.

I mean, it can still be a decent read, but it is SUPER fucking pretentious.

Savage Worlds

Link?

See . Also, and .

>Though bizarrely, there does seem to be a market for furry art no matter how terrible you are at it.
Truly, we live in hell.

>anded out by corporate aristocrats in some kind of bizarre techno-feudalism

I already see elements of new feudalism in our society, certainly in the way our elected officials are meant to be our leaders but still have to answer to the companies that influence and control them. Instead of Kings and Nobles we have Presidents and Boards of Directors though, so at least the power is spread out a bit more. Definitely moving strong towards Plutocracy