>2017
>not using a generic system to fully realize your wildest fantasies
What's it like being such a sad normie?

Other urls found in this thread:

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279503-D-amp-D-in-M-amp-M-a-new-approach-to-rebalancing-3-5-PF
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RitualMagic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

But I'm already using GURPS haha, gotcha, I'm not using GURPS.
I'm using Strike!.

>run too many games with too many subjects and settings to justify finding and learning a new system every week
>just use Fate for everything because fffffuck it?
And fuck freeform, it's the difference between a toothless alley blowjob and a brothel to me. AIDS.

Systems mean alot and homebrewing stuff to make it work isnt the best idea.
I love fate, but I wouldnt use it for a story that needs a more oppressive or tactical tone. Even the writers of it would say the same thing.

Right, that's what GURPS is for.

DnD is my favorite genric system :^)

>2017
>not using a system designed to mechanically support the kind of narrative suited to the game you and your group want to play

> Recognizing Hero
Mah nig-

> Also recognising Fudge
> In an image that recognizes Fate
Mah double nigga.

>Not mentioning WaRP
Shame

>Using a system that can do everything almost well instead of a system that does one thing really well
Why?

>FATE
Kinda cool idea bogged down with dumb shit. Should be a 10-20 page game, now has supplements and "toolkits" released for it that make it seem like a full-fledged rules-heavy system which was the opposite of its original purpose (now its purpose is to make money for Evil Hat).
>GURPS
Probably the only good game on this list, doesn't work well for over-the-top heroics, and a bit rules heavy. I don't like the to-hit/dodge mechanics in someways but they are good for drawn out swordfights.
>fudge
Also decent as an idea but too vague to be of much value.
>hero system
If palladium shat out a generic system, this would be it.
>Tri-Stat
Bland as fuck. Reminds me of AFMBE's core system it's based off of, even though its completely different. Seems boring, never want to play it after reading the rules through once.
>Savage Worlds
Shit game, swingy damage, stupid meme guns, retard memes like Katana ignoring armor, has GURPS-tier retarded disadvantages that don't actually mean anything, and is shit for any campaign that doesn't involve a high concentration of swarm-fighting because that's all the combat system is good for. "Fast Furious Fun" ... yeah that epic fight with the dragon is over in 2 rounds. Cool!

>not using a generic system to fully realize your wildest fantasies
If there was an actually good one out there, I would use it. MiniSix is pretty good, though, and the fact you didn't include it on your list, along with shitloads of other universal systems, shows what a normie YOU are.

>now has supplements and "toolkits" released for it that make it seem like a full-fledged rules-heavy system
I thought it was because Core needs those toolkits since it's a very frail skeleton without any meat.

Got to agree, now days you can run games of more then just fantasy on D&D

But truth be told, lots of systems are like that - no joke I could run a fantasy game for you on freeking dark heresy, or a just middevial non fantasy game

>>hero system
>If palladium shat out a generic system, this would be it.

What did he mean by this?

>about to start an IKRPG game next week

wish me luk

I think I would be more interested in FATE Core System if it didn't have cyborg Leslie Jones on its cover, to be quite honest.

No, FATE works fine by itself because the point is that an imbecile could adapt it to the setting they want without any issue.

How does you people feel about ORE?
Does it have potential to be an actual generic system or should it stay with the games that already use it?

The tragedy of low-budget indie rpg universal systems: shitty art that actively distracts and discourages bothering.

Unfortunate fact about human psychology is that a strong visual can sell an idea.
Things like Broquest and Tower Princesses is literally not even a game, but has such strong visual that people like it anyway.

But you only get one shot to make a first impression and it will instantly color the viewer's expectation. And you can never satisfy everyone's internal imaginary image.

While there is certainly an element of truth to this, I feel like this is a fairly common misconception.

Systems specific to a setting or genre are not inherently superior to a generic system appropriate for aping it. They certainly can be, but that's far from being a rule.

As an easy example, Shadowrun is a shit system and is even worse at doing its own setting and feel than many other generic systems out there.
Pendragon is an example of a system that does what it's billed as extraordinarily well, but that's primarily because of virtues and such which can easily be aped or ported into many other systems; the rest of the system is fairly bog standard and provides no real flavor in and of itself, and would be just as functional and flavorful were it to be played in GURPS (even still using the Great Pendragon Campaign virtually as is) with a few tweaks such as the virtues mechanics or something that emulates the same feel at the very least.

Generic systems, in many cases, are easily able to perform as well as, if not better, than tailor made systems (even those which are not obviously flawed). There are obviously many cases where the more specialized system is flat-out better but those are fairly rare and unique in my experience.

For examples of those I'd call out Dread, Don't Rest Your Head, apoc world, Amber diceless, and Dogs in the Vineyard. Those are pretty specific though, and IMO are edge cases.

The fact is that many "dedicated" systems are either not that inherently flavorful (though the settings tied to them can be) or are simply not very well crafted systems.

Big fan of Savage Worlds. Love playing it with my friends. But it doesn't do certain things well. High fantasy, for example. When we're in the mood for that we just play DND.

>seeing a generic system as a straight jaket instead of a jumping off point
Found your problem

I wouldn't call Savage Worlds generic, anyways. It's intended for campy, pulp action or b-movie style games. As an example, the horror rules have you place a cone template down for blood sprays, covering and shocking characters in it. Very campy. That's why fantasy doesn't work well, fantasy isn't like either of those things.

>GURPS
>good
>Savage Worlds
>shit
what an autist

but you mentioned Mini Six so there's hope for you yet

...That's an optional rule, did you just forget to read?

In my opinion ORE es better at being adapted as specific setting systems than a generic one.
By that I mean, it lets you to easily make it into a new "system for your setting". But is hard to use as is as a generic solution.

Oh shit. Sorry, didn't realize. Still though. The game was intentionally designed for pulp action games. It can be placed in any setting you like, but I feel it's a bit less generic than other truly generic systems, as it's hard to shake the pulp action feel of the rules.

What's a generic ruleset that is rules-light like DnD5e? My table is neck deep in 5e and they don't look like they're willing to switch but maybe if I can get a system that's as light as 5e, perhaps they are willing to jump as well. It's that during session 0 they express a campaign that's well beyond the capabilities of the system (that or it doesn't quite fit)

They're asking for an urban fantasy which I don't think 5e fits for it.

Fate.
Savage Worlds if they like tactical combat.

>not making your own system for a given setting that works exactly as you want it to
Shits hard but worth it

I agree with this user. Generic rulesets aren't all as intimidating as GURPS.

>not considering the objectively superior BRP

Generic systems are the Linux of role-playing games. Sure, they might be technically expansive and suitable to a large number of themes but they're not popular and generally more crunchy than other systems so you have a small group of deducted users who constantly still for them so they have someone to play with but are so entrenched in their system they are incapable of understanding why it's difficult for newbies to learn.

user, there's no hope for virt

>Literally every generic system is GURPS

>randomly generated stats
>superior ever
Get out.

Yeah, I should've realised. Maybe it was the lack of jerking off to elf murder that threw me off.

Risus
Also 5e is not rules light

It's not? Not the guy you're replying to but wasn't 5e's design philosophy was to get the crunch the fuck out esp coming off from 3.5e and 4e?

What is risus

>"Compared to [incredibly crunchy systems] 5e is rules light!"

Run a session of Cthulhu Dark and get back to me about how lightweight 5e is.

Different genres have different needs and system that's crafted for the needs of the genre will always be better for it than generic universal system.

Of course for the convenience I own and have run multiple generic systems and they do have their place, but if I can find a system that fills my vision of a game, I prefer using that.

It's lighter than DnD used to be. It's still not rules light. Closer than DnD has been in awhile, though, I'll give you that.

Less crunch than 3.pf is not little crunch.
I agree that risus is a extrem case, but no DnD game is rules light.

>hero system
>If palladium shat out a generic system, this would be it.

You are weak like pirate. HERO has some of the best explanations for the how and why of its design choices in any TTRPG, as well as being one of the best tuned systems for the genre it emulates (capeshit).

What the fuck are you smoking with Shadowrun not being able to do its own genre (cyberpunk fantasy) well? It's one of the only games to have a functional set of magical metaphysics that interacts with the material world in an interesting way. SR5's play mechanics are a dumpster fire, but Shadowrun itself marries mechanics to setting extremely well.

And a generic system that is tuned to a different set of assumptions about play/the world than the game being ported will not do a good job of emulating said game. In certain cases, this is not a bad thing (GURPS and oWoD) and sometimes it's hot garbage (Monte Cook's World of Darkness)

Mini Six is probably my favorite generic system, but I wish there were more guidelines for creating your own content for it, or at least converting OpenD6 content to Mini Six.

Nice get, it's also your IQ isn't it retard-o?

>Not using superior Rolemaster for everything

Good luck finding a system that does it to a T, instead of constructing your own body of rules with GURPS.

Yes, GURPS IS for
>a more oppressive or tactical tone.

The problem is all the people who seem to think that GURPS can run every tone just because it can run every setting.

I recently finished my cyberpunk setting for the cypher system
I call it cypherpunk

I dunno man, I have run a handful of games with it and only Savage Rifts felt campy so far and that was pretty intentional. Did a bog-standard fantasy game and a space horror games and neither felt campy at all. I know people say its campy and pulpy all the time, but I swear they just say it because other people have said it and not because they have actually run it.

5e is medium crunch, about the same complexity as Savage World imo. It's sure as shit less complex as 3.PF or 4e, but its not like the dumbed it all the way down to oD&D or anything.

I am hopefully going to be running an alternate history WW2 game soon in which the PC's will be members of the Home Guard In Britain after a successful Operation Sealion (the planned German invasion of Britain) using Savage Worlds Explorer Edition. High mortality and low chance of success in any degree.

>2017
>still thinks games should be made to suit crass desires instead of playing games RAW to understand their essence

Not him, but my fantasy game has been pretty action movie-ish, despite not trying to be. Though that mostly has come in through the chase rules. Otherwise I agree with you, it has optional rules to make it pulpy but otherwise does not have to be.

I have low-ish IQ (87) so I don't like thinking about maths

Can't speak for everyone in the thread, but I jumped on a generic system when I realized it ran almost all the popular games better than their native systems.

Obviously, a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none system is inferior to a master crafted system specialized in the type of game you want to run, but the world doesn't work like that. A game can be specialized and still be shit (e.g. PF, earlier editions of Exalted, most of WoD, etc.), and a general system can still be high quality and even have areas in which they really shine (e.g. GURPS with fechts and innawoods operating, SW with pulpy action).

see You're alright though

>Be me
>Like fantasy
>Play Pathfinder and 5e
>Hate PF, tolerate 5e
>Want to be able to play a customizable game that doesn't require building dozens of things from the ground up, well that and allows people

>Play game of Mutants and Masterminds 3e/DC Adventures
>Love it, lets me do so much without throwing a shit fit over things like sizes or racial abilities
>Run fantasy game in it
>Supplements and even the main book already have magic
>Because, turns out, DnD is just fantasy superheroes anyway.

>Player wants to play a knight that uses explosive rune armor and punches
>DnD: NO, LEVEL 1! PUNCHING NOT OPTIMAL! USE BIG WEAPON LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!
>MnM: Sure

>Player wants to play as a centaur
>DnD: TOO MANY LEGS, TOO BIG, NO FREE MOUNT FOR YOU! GO DIG THROUGH HOMEBREW TRASH
>MnM: Sure, you can take 4 ranks of Growth to represent a to scale horse's size, but that's only if you want to, and you probably wouldn't have to if you were to play with a deer-half!

>Player wants to play a martial that doesn't suck
>DnD: HOPE YOU LIKE USING THE ATTACK ACTION BECAUSE THOSE OTHER MANEUVERS AREN'T GONNA DO JACK! YOU WANT INTERESTING SWORD? YOU WAIT 10 SESSIONS OF GOBLIN AND ORC SPANKING!
>MnM: Sure, you can outfit your fighter with magic items from the beginning, being basically powers that have a flaw of being removed in mundane means. You want to be the fuck strong barbarian and throw that boulder? Sure, just buy enough Strength and you can lift tons. You wanna be a practical fighter? Sure, you can outfit them with things ranging from skills actually useful in and out of combat, advantages that only cost a point out of a hundred and a half, and even a slew of mundane but powerful weaponry or even other power effects that allow you to do other stuff besides damage.

I am studying M&M in order to utterly BTFO Pathfinder while simultaneously assimilating it.

>Generic systems

Playing a fantasy Batman in M&M was incredible. Just with an equipment array alone you can make tons of shit more useful than anything a PF martial would ever have.

How portable might Pathfinder be over to M&M might you guys suppose?

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279503-D-amp-D-in-M-amp-M-a-new-approach-to-rebalancing-3-5-PF

GURPS isn't a good system, though.

i know way more game systems than you and I am the normie??? try again please.

not him but it means that it is convoluted

I actually have a good time running horror in Savage Worlds because as the sesh goes on and the players start running out of bennies, there's a real crossing of in-game and out-game dread and worry.

And neither Shadowrun nor GURPS have been able to handle Hacking/Netrunning/Matrix well.

Excellent. Thank you.

I like Minisix and ORE

Hi Virtual Optim!

Pop question: how do grenades work in Mini Six?

It does sword and sorcery very well.

I'm thinking about running a GURPS campaign.
Never really looked into the system before.

I was wondering, what do you guys recommend? 4th ed. or 3rd? 3rd seems to be more mature, and it has a few settings/rulesets that I think I might like to take advantage of. Is there anything that might compel me to use 4th?

And much like Linux there's Ubuntu and Mint (Savage Worlds, Mini Six, Fate, etc.) for people who don't want to put in the effort.

Nah. I'll just play a d20 adaptation of whatever I need

Cool, all the downsides of a generic system (often bloated core mechanics, design decisions that don't fit the genre you want to play) with none of the upsides (doesn't require a new book).

4th is strictly better. It's not like modern D&D where most of the system gets thrown out with each new edition, they're iterative improvements and, as long as you keep GURPS Update on hand, easy as shit to convert between. Most of the supplements, especially once you get into 4e, are "here's how to do thing with the core book content".

My nigga

GURPS is a good system. Not for everyone though.

GURPS does hacking pretty well with the Action-based cinematic hacking rules in pyramid. There are also more crunchy "realistic" and in-depth versions of hacking rules found in a couple sourcebooks/supplements if that's the direction you prefer, but I tend towards the cinematic stuff. I've no experience with Shadowrun beyond 2nd ed. so can't really comment on that.

Oh, I should also add GURPS has its own cyberspace/matrix-style rules as well which are also quite cinematic that seem nice and like they'd flow well after a readthrough, though I've not used them yet so can't say for sure.

I love HERO for how bullshit it is. Half the fun is coming up with new bullshit you can make with all of the content creation rules, something I feel a lot of generic systems are sorely lacking.

There's random, roll and pick, AND point buy methods of creating characters. Are you retarded?

For the same reason why I eat a variety of foods instead of just guzzling a nutritive but tasteless slurry for every meal

I just took D&D 5e and changed a couple of names, mixed a couple of numbers and bang, custom game.

Dude, me too. I've got an idea that would be perfect for Hero System (psychic kids, game starts with them locked in research facility), but I'm such a lazy piece of shit that I'm prolly just gonna end up using Fate again.

But honestly, that's a point in Fate's favor. So easy to teach, play, and adapt to your needs. And it's waaaaay better than freeform, honestly so much fun.

Tell me more, I play Fate. Also Hero, fuck yeah.

Can run any game you want, but all are mediocre

The Fate toolkit is great stuff to read if you actually play or are interested in playing Fate. It's full of useful ideas for how to get the most out of the game and is totally worth reading. Fate is the heaviest rules light, and that's before considering the actual setting specific content. It's super robust, and, if you learn to use it correctly (which is more difficult than crunchy systems, for the same reason it's more difficult to freeform) it can run anything quickly, easily, and engagingly. And you can get a whole party of newbs' characters built exactly how they want and play a complete scene all from memory. And your players will have learned just about everything they need to know by then.

Honestly I've never had a reason to not play FATE ever since I started running it. I honestly recommend every GM give FATE a try at least once.

All these years later, I still think the "skill pyramid" is a bit janky though. Let a campaign run long enough and you get a situation where everyone's taken a few +1s in skills like Craft or Drive that have little to do with their character's narrative skill set, but they needed to blow a milestone on just to maintain the shape of the pyramid for the eventual chance to upgrade the skill they actually use.

Fate. Unlike most anons about most game, I can actually say that I've used this system to have lots of fun.

Tips: It's not as easy as it looks. I think it's very important to frame things with scenes, and also to remember to actually write down situation aspects.

I agree with you completely. You do have to put in work with Fate, especially when figuring it how powers work. Other than that, it's been incredible.

>GURPS does hacking pretty well with the Action-based cinematic hacking rules in pyramid.
The Console Cowboys issue? I'll check it out.

Sadly there are players that actually think and do this to this day.

Hero System is a lesson in freedom really. It gives you the tools to build anything you want but it's not figurative like D&D 3.5 - it literally let's you build *anything* and that means that the GM must be wary of what the players build or else the campaign will be complete chaos.

what's the best system to play where the only magic is Ritual magic? namely, this one:
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RitualMagic
> a method of casting spells based on the performance of specific words, gestures, actions and offerings at specific places and times. Magic isn't a question of talent, spiritual enlightenment, or a power you're born with. It's something that anyone can learn, even (perhaps dangerously) a Muggle. This puts Ritual Magic closer to technology than other forms of Functional Magic; it works because of knowledge that has been collected about the natural world and used in a certain way, and witches and wizards are essentially "engineers" of magic. This concept of magic is very old, going back to Ancient Egyptian beliefs and practices.

basically, very practical ritualsand non-dnd magic.

How quick it is to teach and play is its major selling point. I've had groups go from never having heard of the game to playing it in under an hour.