/edhg/ - EDH/Commander General

"Iconic" Edition

Previously on /edhg/: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
What is your opinion on the new theme feature on EDHREC?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ruhan-the-random-3/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I want to fuck that Jugan.

S P I N O S A U R U S

>What is your opinion on the new theme feature on EDHREC?
wut?

>bipedal
I thought the dinosaurs in this set were supposed to be scientifically accurate?

So trying to make a voltron deck for my multiplayer playgroup.

I originally wanted to play Rafiq but he lends himself better to an Enchantress build I don't want to play.

Ruhan of the Fomori seems like the more fun choice for the equipment voltron I wanted to try.

I already have some staples like Stoneforge Mystic, 3 Swords of X and Y, Batterskull and a Jitte set aside for whichever I choose.

Any opinions one way or another?

>that Jugan
The new Kamigawa dragon arts are kind of nice, but I like the style of the old ones. On one hand, that new Kokusho or Keiga would be sweet, but on the other the OG versions have an iconic look.

>accurate
>mtg

Definitely Ruhan. Also, run Assault Suit. Trust me.

You thought wrong, they stated at the panel that they were going for what they think looks cool. There was never any notion of scientific accuracy.

Sigarda's Aid is a must. Hammer of Nazahn is also pretty nice. Bloodforged Battle-Axe is my new favorite equip.

Assault Suit was almost a defining factor to me wanting to try Ruhan. Rafiq seems a bit one dimensional and the Russian Roulette aspect of Ruhan may save me from tons of political hate.

What are your favorite blue beaters? I just want to smash face, but my colour pallet is limited, and I keep throwing in janky nonsense.

This guy right here wins me games pretty consistently.

Is Brago interesting if I don't go full stax? I don't have any deck with white in it and it might be time to build one

A lot of people forget that he's also a good flying beater in addition to a massive combo/value piece.

I have a dream, as a Brago player.

My dream is to make a ramp deck with Brago at the helm because he untaps rocks. Sure, the control stuff is always good in a pinch, but the idea is to slap down a fuckload of rocks, ramp into giant monsters the second you connect with Brago, then do silly things like untap all your rocks, your voltaic key, and doubling cube, then deck someone with Brain Geyser or Stroke of Genius.

Weird card.

>thread question
Pretty cool, I am probably gonna waste some hours on it looking for cool ideas.

Free mana if you can find a way to lock out opponents from swinging at you.

Not enough free mana to make me want to play it though.

When you're looking at a commander you can further refine your recommendations by theme. It's not very good yet, it seems like it can only recognize a super high density of card types. So no Stax, but "artifacts" or "elf tribal."

I totally forgot about him, I just thought he was an expensive Peregrine Drake, but for an evasive flying value beater, I'm pretty sure I can make it work.

Because I'm running a lot of artifacts, this thing can be pretty difficult to deal with too, particularly with the whole Aboshan flying thing.

I have been out of the loop the past few days.

Has there been any clarification on the interaction between Mairsil and Quicksilver elemental, or is still "because Eli said so"

Sunforger is also amazing.

A good Sunforger pack can really make a deck like Ruhan.

This. Being in blue means you have all sorts of great cards to put in your package too.

New Kokusho and Ryusei are nice but for the rest I prefer the old art. wish we would have gotten new bladewing + new ryusei with the dragon precon but oh well.

They did a good job with the new art but it lacks the otherworldliness that the original Spirit Dragons art has.

I don't care what anyone says, John Avon Ancestral Visions would be strictly better if it weren't for the original printing's nostalgia factor.

The new art on the dragons so fucking good. I guess it would be better if they were more "spectral" to show that they are spirits.

>strictly better
It looks so bad, and it doesn't have the reference to Ancestral Recall. John Avon is not bad, but holy shit, he is overrated.

My group is mostly wins by infinites. How do I play big ass creatures w/o being punched in the gut every time I try?

If it paid off on each opponent's end step, I'd seriously consider it. As it is, it gets dramatically worse per opponent.

Seems a great surprise for the "10 treasures, I win" card. And an effect that's a better Mana Drain is probably only fair at 5.

Run bigass creatures as the wincon to Hatebears that lock out the infinites.

Ruric Thar

>Ruric Thar
Huh, I was thinking of Naya, but he seems good enough.

Ruric Thar is probably the toppest tier Punisher commander. It's rare to actually get it in really cutthroat metas but it's always fun to get a Possibility Storm out and a Grafted Exoskeleton on him to totally shut out non-creature strats.

back

I through this together as a rough draft of my list and put the cards I have set aside in the maybe board so I can try fitting them in.

This is my first equipment voltron and it is less clear cut than the Sigarda Enchantress.

Gahiji then, and but him in the 99

>overrated
I feel that way about a good portion of his cards but the rest have such a peaceful quality in them you can't find in the grand majority of MtG.
He may not do the best fantasy work, but his scenes are something to be admired.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ruhan-the-random-3/

Forgot to put the tappedout link.

Grenzo 2.0 has a lot of potential to screw ulover combo players. They can't go off if you exile the combo pieces from their deck. Goad also forces them to use the combat step

Sounds good, I could use Mayael too to cheat some creatures in, but Gahiji helps me punch harder.

>Ruric Thar
>with Infect

Holy shit that's so mean

Monoblue beaters you say? I wish Urborg on a stick was as good as this guy.

That's a big fish

I love John Avon's lands but everything else of his is just generic fantasy art.

5 UUU

Cyclonic Fish begs to differ.

That's Devastation Fish, I'd pay $100 for a Cyclonic Fish

kek

I don't think you could make a cyclonic fish that isn't hilariously broken, unless it has a cast trigger.

Glad I decided to wait until Ixalan to build Edgar.

This would be an autoinclude if it weren't for the 2W mana cost.
I've even run Kjeldoran Outpost a number of times because it's ability to chump every single turn.

In a deck like Edgar tapping 4 lands every turn to make a 1/1 is not very ideal.
Spending 1 mana to get a 1/1 and a bit of ramp can be nice for a couple turns though.

user, it's WHITE MANA RAMP. When the heck does that happen?

Well it's mana ramp basically and it gives you something to dump spare mana on when you don't have anything else to cast, plus it's on theme.

Depends on if it's duel commander or multiplayer.

>>>>>Duel commander

Lay off the plankton, Bugs.

3 mana is very generous to make a token, especially one that can actually attack and also does other things dude. An important note besidses mana ramp has been echoed is that it curves into itself quite well. A 1 drop that is also a 3 drop without spending another card in your hand is a real thing. I know I'll be playing this in Karlov at least since it's a life gaining 1 drop as well as ramp and a repeatable source of lifegain effectively, as well as it fitting perfectly into Karlov's curve.

>That's not bipedal user

Might still see play in duel commander, because Edgar Markov Vampires is the new boss in town.

It's a thing, and this thread does not specify what kind of commander it's about.

What cards/plays seem to make the whole table focus you whenever you drop them?

pic related

>Building Legacy Lands Tasigur
>Tasigur is in Chinese, Villainous Wealth isn't.
>Play Gifts in my One-Ban group. Swap it out for Psychic Spiral Against normies
>Currently has 6 X costed spells, 4 mana doublers, 12 one shot ramps, 40 Lands

Anything I should improve on?

>Thread question
Tired to utilise it looking for zombie tribals today, utter bullcrap so far. The decklists in the table mostly have names that let you immediately see what the list is about if it isn't just generic goodstuff.

High Tide, even if I just use it as a ritual to ramp into something simple
Aetherworks Reservoir
Increasing Vengeance in my graveyard
Sage Row Denizen in Inalla
Helm of Chatzuk
Panharmonicon
Strionic Resonator
Casting out literally any commander

>Edgar

Can someone tell me edgar's weakness?

lately every time I see him pop up, the game becomes archenemy to stop the fucking vampire army from gaining steam. Mardu color gives him access to almost every tool he could need and boardwipes aren't enough, from the sheer # of free tokens. Removing edgar once he out helps, but him having haste makes that really difficult too keep up with him.

COUNTER POST IN STANDARD
SIGN ME UP!

Bait him out, then hit him with a Darksteel Mutation or Turn to Frog on a stick.

>found a way to relive the Good Old Days of Stax through EDH
>everyone is eternally angry because they don't run interaction
>oh well, I'll relive the Good Old Days of Storm through EDH
>everyone is eternally angry because they don't run interaction
>oh well, I'll relive the Good Old Days of draw-go control through EDH
>everyone is eternally angry, etc

is it true that EDH is a midrange only format?

>darksteel mutation.

I only have one of these, but to stop the vampire menace I will start grabbing more.

Anti-anthems.
Curse of Death's Hold
Illness in the Ranks
Engineered Plague
Doomwake Giant
Dread of Night
Night of Souls' Betrayal

>Army of the Damned
>Early game Skullbriar+Ordeal of Nylea
>Wrexial the Risen Thief

I was able to pull off the dovescape/elesh combo yesterday. The salt was unreal.

>Illness in the ranks

perfect, I wasn't aware of this card. Thank you user.

>Early game Skullbriar+Ordeal of Nylea
The salt is real. 2 mana Explosive Vegetation and a +1/+1 counter is apparently too good to ever deal with.

The real question is Inala.
She's so fucking dumb. For one additional mana you get a second ETB/triggered ability and a hasty attacker. Get panharmonicon or token doubling mechanics out and that's 4 etb triggers, and it just keeps snowballing from there. All for just one colorless mana.
Why was this okayed when Oloro, who gains 2 messily life a turn from the CZ got bitched out relentlessly?

Lignify, Song of the Dryads, and Imprisoned in the Moon. Soul Sculptor + Intruder Alarm also works.

My new favorite Azorius commander is Taigam because I can run Dovescape for free birds

>midrange
you mean combo right?
cause in a 4 player game there is literally no reason not to run insta win combos that dont care about life totals, seeing as how life totals are not only massively inflated but also multiplied by the number of opponents

Blind Obedience.

If Inalla is in play, Panharmonicon allows you to clone twice. Strionic Resonator works even if she's in the CZ.

>multiplied by the number of opponents

When did that happen? My group has never done this

>tfw she will always be over 20 bucks

Anyways this one for me is always hilarious when I can drop it on the field with my oloro deck

He means if you want to wreck face on a 4 player game you need to deal 120 damage (40 for each opp) total

Night of Soul's betrayal
Spreading plague
Tainted aether
Tainted remedy
Aether Flash
Overburden

Having better creatures than he has Vampires

Also:

>Clone Inalla with some kind of cloning card
>Original dies and goes back to Command Zone
>Now you have 2 of her Eminence trigger
>Plus extras from Strionic and Panharmonicon

They meant that commander as a multiplayer format makes it harder to win through life total damage/lose. Everyone has 40 life, and you have three other opponents.

So 120 life vs 20 life in most other formats

It's even worse if you manage Hardened Scales>Skullbriar>Ordeal. You will have all the salt.

Yes user, you're retarded.

Fuck, now I want to build Skullbriar
What all do I need in order to take people on Mr. Bones' Wild Ride?

That new art looks like shit.

Iconic Masters will make her easier for you to buy

Winding Constrictor, Corpsejack Menace, Hardened Scales, Ordeal of Nylea, Verdurous Gearhulk, Ring of Kalonia/Xathrid, Managorger Hydra, Obsessive Skinner, Slitherhead, Quest for the Gemblades, Hunger of the Howlpack, Inspiring Call, Momentous Fall, Solidarity of Heroes, Llanowar Reborn, Increasing Savagery, and a $10 bribe to the guy with the Hapatra deck.

It doesn't matter.
It's not the Phyrexian language Elesh.

I want an old Kokusho, if the odds are good foiled because I think it'd look really pretty. What are the chances that the FTV Kokusho is curled to hell, or the Modern Master 1 foil is curled to hell?

Nobody I play against runs anything with -1/-1 counters. Most of that stuff looks pretty cheap.

Yup. That's like, the synergistic stuff I run in Skullbriar. The rest is some Golgari good stuff like Rec Sage, Elves of Deep Shadow/Elvish Mystic, Night's Whisper, Hatred and Tainted Strike for wins from nowhere, Cultivate.
Here's the secret spice. Don't tell anyone.

>What are the chances that the FTV Kokusho is curled to hell
About 100% unless steps were taken to flatten the sucker

The good news is that slapping him under a dictionary or something and leaving undisturbed for a few months will render Kohu Puffs or any other FTV foil more or less permanently flat. I've yet to find a downside.

Enlighten me on zombie tribal, /edhg/. How should your opponents' decks be for you to consistently win? Is it all about Gravecrawler crawling from the grave until his tiny arms grind fall off and spinning Ghoulcaller Gisa right round? It seems to be the only reason shit like death's baron costs as much as it does and he isn't even that good. Is it worth bothering with BUG Sidisi? Lim-Dul?