MTG STANDARD GENERAL

I don't know what I'm doing

>standard in a nutshell

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/control-on-a-budget-1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I pulled a bolas at the prerelease and ever since then I've been trying to do grixis control. I'm hoping that ixalan slows down the meta. I'm so tired of getting stomped on by mono red

I doubt it. Ixalan's only slow cards are the Dinos, but the set is bringing some serious ramp to deal with it. It'll probably be more on the lines of "casting Dinos on turn 3~4 " than "games going to turns 6~8" speed.

Dealing with a 4/4 Dino is easier than 4 1/1 servos

Decklist? I was running Grixis Control for a while before I gave up on Standard.

I don't have the decklist saved at the moment, but it runs 4x riddleform 4x eternal of harsh truths 4x unquenchable thirst 4x abrade 2x sweltering sun 1x nicol bolas God Pharaoh. That's the core of the deck everything else is kina iffy and is usually counterspells

Rate my brew

Creatures
>4x Siren Stormtamer
>4x Strom Fleet Arealist
>4x Skyship Plunderer
>4x Nimble Obstructionist
>2x Curator of Mysteries

Instants
>4x Opt
>4x Lookout's Dispersal

Artifacts/Enchantments
>4x Fell Flagship
>4x Favorable Winds
>2x Pirate's Cutlas

Lands
>24 Islands

Thinking of replacing Pirate's Cutlas with Dowsing Dagger, but I'm skeptical on that card's worth.

Confused why curator of mysteries in in there

I had two extra spots open, and I didn't want to fill them with more copies Pirate's Cutlas. I thought "what the hell, it's a Reach Through Mists at worse," and I jammed them it. The fact that most of the removal in standard deals 3 damage also helped.

Honestly though, if you have some better suggestions, I really need them. I was even considering putting in fucking Snare Thopter, before I realized that it was a stupid idea.

Does rishjar stack with naga vitalist or Druid of the cowl?

rishkar, peema renegade*

No, of course not

are you asking if a dork with a +1+1 counter on it generate 2 mana while rishkar is in play?
lol, no

i would remove Fell Flagships, Pirate's Cutlas and Curators, and add Spell Pierce, Chart a Course and Riddleform. Cards to also think about are Jace Cunning Castaway and Lookout's Dispersal

What do people like about Standard? It seems like a really aggro-centric format.

It's quite well balanced now. control beats midrange, midrange beats aggro, and ramp beats control.

Control exists? What cards are used?

Negate, B/R removal, censor, Torrential Gearhulk, Scarab God, Nicol Bolas. if your going UW Approach, then Blessed Alliance, Aether Metldown and Immolating Glare. Glimmer of Genius is the main card draw.

Gearhulk and Scarab are a bit expensive. What's a budget drawgo shell look like these days?

I'll probably add Riddleform and Chart the Course. Is Spell Pierce really so good it can be maindecked, though? I never played Zendikar Standard, so I don't know.

it would activate riddleform and you can counter some stuff (think, chandra torch of defiance, glorybringer, glimmer of genius, other stuff people tap all their mana to play)

check out UW Approach.

Interesting concept. Would there be a way to build it for cheaper? Still not entirely sold on the format, and I'd like to try with minimal loss.

>countering glorybringer with spell pierce

>What do people like about Standard?
Playing cards that will never see play in eternal formats. I've been having a blast playing Thing In The Ice and Elder Deep-Fiend for as long as I have.

>It seems like a really aggro-centric format
Not at all. You can brew anything at all, just be aware that wizards hates combo, so don't invest too heavy into powerful combo decks that will just eat a ban after a week.

my mistake, i was thinking about stuff people slam down, and forgot glorybringer is also a creature.

well all the cards are already cheap. When i play it, i tend to win against everything except ramp. the biggest problem is that blessed alliance is rotating out in like 2 weeks, and we still haven't found a solid replacement.

>you can brew anything you want

So a drawgo control deck that uses Kefnet as a wincon could work?

I've seen a few UW controls and run Kefnet and Oketra as a wincon. But i can't remember the actual shell.

Is Farm // Market decent?

Cut everything about to rotate out. Cut Irrigated Farmland even though it's basically essential for helping you dig for a 2nd Approach.
That list doesn't seem expensive at all. It's not even running Gearhulk or anything that would make it actually risky to buy into.
And you can use a lot of the cards for brewing other decks.
It might not be good, but it could definitely work. Especially now that you get Spell Pierce and Opt, it's worth trying.

After rotation Opt, Censor, Spell Pierce, Fatal Push, all really push draw-go

No worries mate.

>Fatal Push
A bit iffy on picking up an $8 card.

Sees play in every format. You cannot go wrong buying Fatal Pushes.

>Spell Pierce going in current control decks

this is a meme that I must put to rest. Spell Pierce is the ultimate anti-control card. With all the aggro decks that will have blue in them this standard season, in a couple of months control players will fucking hate Spell Pierce

well it's 1 mana more expensive, and using your first removal on t3 is suboptimal, when aggro can kill you by turn 4.

>tfw can't activate a Colonnade in modern anymore

I mainly play commander, and I'm not going to invest in a format much until I find that both the format and the community at the LGS are decent.

they have to print a new white mana removal, right? all of it is rotating, except farm.

Just saying, if you choose to try out modern ever, you'll be happy you picked up Push before it goes out of print. And you can dump them with minimal loss if you change your mind, even after it rotates.

Cast Out isn't going anywhere.

This, and it doesn't hit Gods. It's very bad. I was trying it in Spirits just to get Delirium online for Topplegeist, but it wasn't worth it.

Maybe a card might appear to under perform when the rest of your deck is shit

Let me guess, Open Fire is also just as good as Bolt? If it under preforms, the rest of your deck is shit.
There is no way getting around the fact, a 3 mana removal is worse then a 2 mana removal that can heal you and untap stuff.

I'm looking forward to playing 'local pirate doubles his treasure and crew with one easy trick' .deck (also works on those new Jace tokens, just saying)

WOAAAHHHH
OH MY GOD GUYS!!!!

slowpoke.jpg

I was so glad I held onto my old strikes when this was shown. What terrible art.

Why is this uncommon?

How viable is UR Control now that Wandering Fumarole is rotating out?

Because it's not good enough for a rare slot and it's too good for draft at common.

Why couldn't they make the other commons better?

It's not just about having the commons balanced with lightning strike, it's about having the whole set (and standard at large) balanced with it. R&D decided that Bolt costs 3 at the common slot. They're not going to reverse that decision one set later.

Oh, I forgot that that piece of shit card existed.
Well, I wouldn't say they care that much about balancing standard with respect to rarity, but having interset powerlevel consistency makes sense.

What are some fun budget decks for standard? I want to get back into magic and feel like modern would be a lot harder to get into for cheap. I just like whackier decks, combos typically are most fun. That said, I've always enjoyed the flavor of red for some reason despite never being abl eto do well with RDW/Burn.

this is looking up to be pretty budget.

>I just like whackier decks, combos typically are most fun
Gate to the Afterlife/God-Pharaoh's Gift seems like something you might like brewing with. Plenty of options, just be aware that if a combo is deemed too strong, its pieces will be banned out of the format.

>I've always enjoyed the flavor of red
Red will probably have some cheap playable Dinosaur or Pirate decks once Ixalan drops.
Right now there's Ramunap Red, which isn't incredibly cheap, but very rotation-proof. You can make some budget cuts to bring it down.

>4x riddleform
>in a control deck
But why

It's probably as last defence against aggro, but being a conditional 3/3 I don't know how it will perform.

>play pick related
*names Scavenger Grounds*
*waits for Abrade*
*reveals Spell Pierce*
My mummies will dominate standard, just wait for me Rumanap Red.

It just kinda sucks because you can't use it as a winning condition, meaning it's a 4-of situational blocker that only triggers off your removal spells (because they won't play any counterable spells before combat unless it's a hasted creature)

It's wildly inconsistent and forces you to occasionally tap out before the enemy's main phase 2 which sucks really really hard. It also doesn't wall Hazoret or Glorybringer.

Help me out with UR tempo/midrange

Creatures
4 Enigma drake
4 cryptic serpent
2 Baral/soup scar Mage/riddleform

Instants
4 Opt
4 shock
4 Lightning strike
2 Abrade
4 illumination
4 censor
4 negate

Sorc
4 chart a course

Some number of lands.

The baral slot is fleet and I'm testing 20/21 and 22 lands.

Match up against aggro and midrange is really clean if you can get over removal or last the early game. Sideboard is all over the place with sweltering Suns, magma spray , Chandra and t gearbulk. Also fling to
Catch opponents off guard. What I'm looking for is, how many lands would be ideal for this kind of deck?

I see people playing with ~24 lands to never miss a land drop, only to get flooded. I play with 22 lands in a tricolor deck, but Im lucky that my colors give me a lot of allied lands.
UR in 2 weeks will have only 1 (maybe 2 if you want pic related) dual lands.

>SoI card
>being in standard in 2 weeks
user...

Wait am I retarded, why is this listed as an Ahmonket common?
Is it in a walker deck?

Card is in amonkhet. 2 duals is all i need I think. Once I have double u and double r available I'm good to go desu.

Deckbuilder toolkit

I'm hoping to play UB Control when Ixalan drops, looks like the deck could have a damn robust palet to work with.

What does the "Cat's Eye" card do?

Discard your hand, Sacrifice ~: Add three mana of any one color to your mana pool. Activate this ability only any time you could cast an instant.

>Lion's Eye Diamond
>Cat's Eye
I guess but that doesn't complete the joke.

Is there a budget standard deck atm?

I was thinking counterspells, cycling, god pharoa's gift and hexproof fatties with cycling.

>God Pharoah's Gift with fatties
Bad combo unless those fatties have some good fucking keywords.

Is phyrexian mana a type of mana?

hexproof?

Phyrexian mana allows you to pay 2 life instead of the mana cost.

For example surgical extraction cost 1 black mana or 1 phyrexian mana. This means instead of paying 1 black I can just take 2 damage and cast the spell for "free"

I guess, but you don't need to be running fatties if that's the case.

Just threw this together, looks like shit though

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/control-on-a-budget-1/

Scaled Behemoth, Hollow One and Weaver of Currents are out of place here. You need more counters and removals. use Negate instead of Countervailing Winds and consider using red for magma spray, abrade and harnessed lightning. Also you need card draw, like Glimmer of Genius or Hieroglyphic Illumination.
God Pharaoh's Gift is uselesss because it will just get Abraded/make fatties smaller. Gate to the afterlife is useless without discard/self mill cards like champion of wits, cathartic reunion etc.
Abandoned Sarcophagus is just pointless.
Control decks win with card advantage, and cheap/efficient removal. This had neither.

I'm currently playing some weird magic, and looking forward to rotation despite losing bb ulamog and void winnower: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sultai-believe/

4x Ammit Eternal
3x Baral, Chief of Compliance
3x Champion of Wits
2x Greater Sandwurm
2x Razaketh, the Foulblooded
2x Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
1x Void Winnower
2x Liliana, Death's Majesty
1x Nissa, Steward of Elements
1x Bounty of the Luxa
4x Blooming Marsh
4x Botanical Sanctum
1x Hostile Desert
7x Island
4x Sunken Hollow
3x Swamp
2x Fatal Push
1x Negate
1x Supreme Will
4x Void Shatter
1x Baral's Expertise
1x Collective Brutality
4x Reason
2x Yahenni's Expertise

Sideboard

2x Bontu's Last Reckoning
3x Harsh Scrutiny
2x Ishkanah, Grafwidow
3x Negate
3x Root Out
2x Ruinous Path

I usually take second and lose to some form of grixis control at the end of the night but I just love playing this deck.

I was wondering what the actual fuck you were playing until I saw the Reason // Believe
Now that's fucking spicy.

What's the point of Void Shatter? Why not just Disallow?

Thanks! I've taken 2nd out of 36 on four occasions and if no one's on Grixis i win the small pools consistently. I recommend Believing in some aliens today.

I like countering into exile in the current meta. I lose it at rotation though.

Greater Sandwurm over Sifter Wurm? Why's that, just the cycling?

Absolutely. Sometimes you just want to draw a card (or didn't counter anything that turn), other times you actually need a T5 7/7 defending Lili.

Fair enough.

U/W approach is very budget, though it's unsure what will replace blessed alliance post-rotation.

It's also not shit which is very important.

go to FNM you cheapskate

I think you answered your own question, mate.

>buy into gearhulk reanimator a few months ago
>pretty fun, cards are cheap enough to start foiling out most of the cards since gearhulks are cheap as fuck
>now that I actually want to win for them push promos, deck just completely shits on me
>mulling every single game
>wizards actually prints good cards in Ixalan
>if they have U up I can't cast refurbish t4 or lili t5 now
>a lot more graveyard hate and answers will be in standard
>none of these shitheads have haste
Better go kill myself I guess.

>foiling out standard decks
You have yourself to blame.

Correction. It's shit. And has jow got even shitter with things like spell pierce being printed. How many times have I played against UW approach. More than a hundred. How many times have I lost to the approach combo. Just the first time.

you play against bad people. What combo? UW beats midrange/aggro by surviving, and beats control by either card advantage or creatures. The only deck it loses to consistently is ramp but so does every other control deck. Just because your opponents don't know how to save counters, or be patient, doesn't mean the deck is shit.

Just swap B for U, there is no need for it in the deck and if you can't beat'em, join'em (us).

Blue is the new Black as the support color

But I need black for Lili and removal.

too bad, now you get U for Jace and removal

But Jace doesn't bring something back from the graveyard.

how does ramunap red post-rotation fare against these dino decks? feels like it blocks too effectively and gains just the right amount of life to stabilize when it needs to, especially post sideboard

guess ill build grixis improvise

He brings more Jaces

draft can go eat a dick
useless format

Oh shit just what I needed

I hope dinos will be able to hold them down, it would be amazing to see RDW lose against a Timmy tribal deck.

And once Rumanap is down mummies will rise once again,
this time forever.

Join me into this battle against graveyard hate

i'm a red player. im hoping to keep my deck into rotation. i am addicted to monocolor decks. in modern i play skred and blue steel.

a week after prerelease--which is the real release of ixalan--my store is doing a win-a-box fnm and im hoping that i can pull out some wins against temur energy, because no one is going to be on anything else