Messy eater.

His recent tax reforms were met with poor responses from the noble class

Filithy hobbitis

Poor tax policy.

What was Aragorn's tax policy?

His mind was poisoned by the Palantir

>what was Aragorn's tax policy?

He was a good king

In the book he had a palatir, which Sauron used to only show him what Sauron wanted him to know. Lol, as if Tolkien would mention a ruler's tax policy...

Ultimately, most of his problems come back to ego.

>Thinks that he can handle mind to mind contact with Sauron and risks using a Palantir, with disastrous results
>Thinks he's the only real opposition to Mordor, so completely discounts all other polities
>Thinks that he's the best ruler for Gondor, despite evidence to the contrary.
>Can't handle his sons having independent ideas from him, tries to undermine their efforts.

His main one was Sauron trying to fuck his shit up.

For you.

Hostile scriptwriter in the adaption, or they got their hack on and decided they could economize by making a complicated semi-antagonist for protagonists to accommodate into a villainous caricature for protagonists to overcome.

>same thing happened with Stannis
>see grrm? You and Tolkien have that in common at least

Being a literal degenerate.

Lead poisoning.

In the books? He was a hard ass who had spent his life fighting Mordor, more or less alone and became bitter and close minded as a result.

In the movies? He went from being a reasonably tragic figure doing the best he could with what he had to being a crazy asshole since we barely got to see Sauron directly and they needed to give us faces to hate. Kinda like Faramir who got a similar treatment.

He was re-written by Peter Jackson.

>Aragorn isn't my king I didn't vote for him
>I support the Orcs in overthrowing the evil tyrant "king" Aragorn

His wife died in childbirth.

Stop the Fellowship fascists! Support AntiFel!

>In the books? He was a hard ass who had spent his life fighting Mordor, more or less alone and became bitter and close minded as a result.

Also he started fucking around with a palantir.

>Sauron would've won the War of the Ring if the orcs presented themselves as refugees from the horrible, wartorn land of Mordor
>Wanton violence could've been described as "sexual emergencies" and "cultural differences"
>Gondor would've presented him the One Ring on a silver platter if he whined about a colonial Numenorian past and "muh reparations"

This is a bitter drink. It is called "truth".

>pallantir

At least in the books, he actually could win that particular contest of wills with Sauron. Denethor and his line have a weak, but present, blood connection to the Numedoreans and Isildur, which makes them rightful users of the pallantir (albeit not as much as Aragorn or his line), which meant that Sauron couldn't really corrupt him in any kind of mystical sense with the pallantir.

So Sauron switched tactics and instead showed Denethor pretty much everything just for the asking, how many orcs he had, his vast armies of allied men, and so on. He broke Denethor's spirit rather than his mind.

>Ultimately, most of his problems come back to ego.
This post is the most correct without going over and can continue to the Veeky Forums Showcase Showdown.

>Messy eater.
Underated.
Fun Fact: I read the trilogy in between seeing the Two Towers and seeing Return of the King.
This gentleman sitting in the throne room, exactly as he was, was my first moment of the "IT'S EXACTLY HOW I IMAGINED IT FROM THE BOOKS!" That observed first-hand from my friends.
The closest I got before that was seeing Gandalf approach the Shire and saying to myself "So THAT'S what they were all driving at!"
To this day, I can only guess that I meant fantasy writers in general, as I am honestly not sure.

Well, yes, he doesn't get under Saruman levels of influence, but

A) Saruon seemed to be controlling what Denethor saw with the seeing-stone. He totally loses it when he sees Frodo captured and (mistakenly, although logically) assumes that Sauron recovered the Ring.

B) The effort seems to be messing him up something fierce. He's "old before his time" in a way that high numenorean blood people usually are not.

I don't see that as winning a contest of will with Sauron. I see that as not losing as badly as another might have in his place, but loosing nonetheless.

Being set on fire

This is just a friendly reminder that Tolkien hated ethnonationalist brainlets for the ahistorical fanfiction they made of his beloved Germanic myths

He knows his sons are from an alternate-but-similar dimension and he got blamed for an accident he wasn't responsible for.

This is a friendly reminder that I routinely read CS Lewis, and Tolkiens completed works and love and respect their writings and worldviews more than most. Also friendly reminder to get a sense of humour. Also also realize that Tolkien almost certainly would have objected to his country being turned into a refugee camp for ungrateful child rapists.

Crippling depression

>t. Bootyblasyed sjw
I recommend you travel back towards the land of reddit

>mfw all Tolkien wanted was a pretty fantasy to inspire a people deeply obsessed with mechanization and the destruction of their olden culture.

>Trying to start a literature dick-measuring contest
>I'm the only one with a sense of humor here, guise
>Also, all my favorite authors would totally agree with my political opinions

What are you talking about? Tolkien wrote LotR as his own swing at a kind of epic myth, and a place to give his languages life. What's this stuff about "mechanization"? If you're referring to the Scouring of the Shire, Tolkien explicitly condemns the point of view that it was inspired by the industrialization of his own hometown in the country, pointing out that it was already pretty well industrialized long before he was born there. It's in the foreword.

>ethnonationalist brainlets
He was never "culturally enriched." Can't wait for them to remake Lord of the Rings without the white men in it.

He was mostly dead inside. There's a difference between mostly dead and all dead.

He was a shitty miracle max.

Well, they both came under that wonderful coalition of "not a power-worshiping Progressive thank God/Check Box Other". It's a big tent and there's work to do every day, come on in.

>why Moorcock hated their guts, really

In another land, of lesser people, with less love for their kings of old, he would already have been given a kingly title. Which was what he really wanted. As it was, he simply acted the part but knew full well that he, by law, had to step aside when Aragorn returned.

You'd need to hand out more than one trophy, if you'd be so inclined.

As a compromise, I'd for one at least like a kitten jpg instead of a cat jpg.

I wonder how many fa/tg/uys are part of the Lord of the RIngs shitposting group on normiebook

>the "doesn't believe in capital P-progress" was actually a pretty big thing in the literary pissing matches of the time, user
>the more you know

Libturdism

>gets butt hurt over a couple throwaway jokes
>guys remember that Tolkien wouldn't approve of this thread.

Acting like I'm the autist here is just drawing even more attention to your bullshit.

How does having the right to use it make him immune against corruption?

>disdain for certain groups is due to their ethnicity and skin colour, rather than their cultural acceptance of forcey-fun-time and rooftop fling-a-fag
user plz

Guys we can stop here, we can still have a good thread

There's an awful lot of gaslighting on the internet, isn't there.

Yet he supported Zionism and the Jewish conquest of Palestine.

poor choice of moisturizer

Sucked too much dick.

Alternate theory: sucked too little dick.

third theory: looks too much like that asshole from GoT

>What was his problem?
Being of a line of stewards that by rights should not be in charge. I mean, after the primary royal branch died out, the throne should've passed to the closest branch of the dynasty or a noble house with closest ties to them. Of course, that means Aragorn's return might have sparked a war between his Loyalists and those who would still support the pretender king in Gondor.