Do you ever invent your own magical items? What ideas have you come up with?

Do you ever invent your own magical items? What ideas have you come up with?

Other urls found in this thread:

gamemasterspgh.com/GMBlogs/billv/?p=101
docs.google.com/document/d/1i06wZU7px37OF2SD7xJ8Ww-I1HCMEo4t3yyD8K1IM3c/edit?usp=sharing
youtube.com/watch?v=abudgvoLo1o
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Corkscrew +2.
Counts as punching dagger +2/-2 (for enchant / for being a corkscrew and not intended as weapon).
Is +2 weapon for purposes of bypassing invulnerability by mundane weapon.
Required of open sealed Vintage Bottle +1.

One of the characters I'm currently playing have a magical leather belt. The belt, besides holding his pants, also have 4 iron rings around it. The belt's properties are the following:

> The belt cannot be removed unless the user do it willingly
> Any item the user attaches to one of the rings (only 1 per ring, total of 4) will become magically bound to the belt. What this does is that somehow, magically, the item will return back to the belt as long as its bound to it. (ingame, it means that every session, my character have each of the four items there attached to his belt, even if he lost one or more of them on the last session)
> The item comes back to the "condition" it was when it was first bound to the belt. For instance, my character have a pirate-like pistol with 1 bullet on it, and it always come back with its 1 bullet. Also, my character have a 2/3 full bottle of booze, and it always come back 2/3 full, even if he drank it all one the previous session.
> The user can willingly unbind an item from the belt, so he can bind another one on its place.

>The Glutton is a tiny demon in an unbreakable cage that eats magic. Feed him a spell, and he'll digest it, and cast whatever the DM judges to be the polar opposite of that spell.

Snake Oil Paint
>An ornate bottle of some oily ink. If the user paints something with it, like a door or a hole, whatever they paint will function as though it were real. The user can then withdraw the painting back into the bottle and send it out once per day, but whatever they drew the first time is permanent, and the ink will always fit that same function.

Gambler's folly. A large coin the size of one's palm with a sun on one side and a skull on the other
>This item can be used as a reaction or action as the player character flips the magical coin. The player must flip a coin upon a player declaring its use. A heads outcome results in whatever action the player declared or received to double in effect. A tails outcome results in whatever action the player declared or received to be completely negated.

Knockoff Ioun Stones!
They're just* like** real*** Ioun Stones!****
*stones are roughly between the size of your fist and the size of your head
**stones do not float, because they don't have the power necessary to move their mass that high. Instead, they trail along the ground like ducklings. Depending on the steepness, they may need to be carried up stairs and slopes
***stones may trip the user if they stand still for too long
****we take no responsibility for scuffed floors, any irritation caused by the sound of stones moving along the floor or colliding with each other, or loss of stones through holes in bridges or floors

Pupa Scupa's Self-Cleaning Chamber Pot: A modest brass chamber pot that, on command, sends the contents somewhere elsewhere with a small puff of sulfurous smoke.

The moles compass:

When underground, the moles compass will always point directly towards the fastest way to the surface.

but...where?

Tricky. I'm pretty sure fastest doesn't mean safest.

Bad Bard's Big Badge
>On a failed Bard's roll, the player can make up the difference once per day by coming up with an alliterative insult. One word for each missing value in the difference.

All of these! And I'm still working on them.

I'm sorry I'm afraid master Pupa Scupa cannot divulge the inner workings of his chamber pots at this time. Please feel free to sample his fine selection of scented sprays instead. Please note that any attempts to reverse engineer the Self-Cleaning Chamber Pot will void the warranty and will be pursued to the fullest extent of the law.

Not bad user. Keep on sharing them with us if ya will.

You know the saying - one creature's waste, other creature's treasure.

Variants:

Seafarers compass: will always point at the closest dry land. (may just lead you to a spit of sand in the middle of the ocean.)

Tracers compass: leads the user backwards along the total route the compass has been carried. Carrying it without following the trail extends the route. something happens when the compass is returned to the start. (its a message in a bottle style advertisement targeting high level adventures for a secret magical item shop)

Sinister compass: The needle seems to follow something that moving. Handling the compass produces a dread feeling.

Lovers compass: Two compasses that always point towards the other

Assassins compass: Prone to inadvertently leading the user into mortal danger. Known to be used by overconfident adventurers looking for action.

Your not one of my players in disguise are ya? If so that's top secret stuff stop snooping!

Thank you for the kind words and if you click the link it will send you to the homebrewy page that has updates. In addition, I would not mind some criticisms if you have any. The last three are pretty recent and need some work put in I feel.

>Spoon of hunger.

Able to transform any object in its inside in a bit of meat. The meat it produces it's rolled.
Gave them to players in a campaign where weindigos were a thing.

do the players know what kind of meat? Can they take a knowledge check lol?

The Painter's Promise. An ordinary looking paintbrush which slowly drives its user mad.
>Gives the user unrivaled artistic skill and allows them to create any non magical item by painting it on any surface.
>Extended use of the brush will result in the user suffering nightmares. These nightmares will drive the user to insanity unless the subjects of the artist's nightmares are painted and brought to life. The nightmare paintings wish to drag the painter into their world for bringing them into such a hellish state of existence. If the creatures are successful all that will remain of the artist is the brush and a portrait of them looking terrified.

Thief's Compass: When touched to a key, the compass points to the lock it opens (Nearest, if multiple). When touched to a lock, it points to the key designed to open it (Again, nearest, if multiple. Skeleton keys are normally ignored.)

> Lovers compass: Two compasses that always point towards the other
Items like this are interesting.

Thats fucking sweet dude, im making a campaign based around compasses if you have any more. What should the gigacompass you get if you amass all the compasses do besides leading to some kind of ultimate power or more treasure.

They could try to identify it. But they didn't know what kind of meat the spoon was going to produce.
Also I forgot to say that the thing only produced "edible" meat. So nothing poisoned or magma flesh of some unnatural creature.
Also, as I didn't wanted to be a complete asshole, the first bits of cannibalism only made for an higher chance of meeting one. Slowly scaling into transformation in to one.
>"I start to eat the ground with the spoon"
(Also it was just "the spoon" I came up with the name now because it was kinda depressing to leave it like that)

It leads to the next compass. Duh.

I like utility items that you can make other uses out of. Players could use this as a way point or tracking device rather than just its intended function.

It points to the left. Your left, specifically. When they ask what way it's pointing, point to your left and say "that way".

Alchemist's Scale
>When a substance is placed on one end of the scale another amount of substance of the exact weight is magically created on the other scale.
Stopwatch of Foresight
>This stopwatch shows exactly how many more minutes its user has to live. The time shifts up and down based on the exact circumstances and danger of an individual's current environment as well as their intentions.
>Cane of Contempt
Upon striking someone with this object they will be compelled to perform any action the user requests which is within their power to do. Once this request has been fulfilled, however, they will feel a deep hatred towards the user forever

Me too. I like utility magical items 1000x more than just boring magical weapons or armors. I usually give those randomly during the campaign, hoping that the players will find a creative way to use them.

Once I had a campaign that lasted for 2~3 years, and on the very beginning the PCs found a crown that they were certain it was magical. However, they never found out what the crown did, so whenever they were out of clues of how trying to solve a problem, they would put the crown on just to see if that did anything.

Prospector's Compass: when sliver of ore is placed into a slot in the compass it will start pointing to a nearest vein of the same material

One magical item that have introduced on more than one campaign is this silver dagger with a swastika on it (which is why I nicknamed it "the nazi dagger"). Its effect is that it can kill absolute anything.

(by kill anything, I mean it can fully damage anything no matter what, though it is still a dagger so it doesn't mean you can kill anything with a single stab of it)

I gave my players an indestructible pole that extends to 30 feet (weapon) and they repeatedly used it to destroy buildings and shit by wedging it between things and extending it. They started trying to make some kind of torsion catapult out of it and I had to tell them no.

Well? tell us what it did!

Inb4:
The crown of dickery.
makes you believe it's strong and magic. I mean, it actually is but not really.

made from the bones of a leanne sidhe!

lol no, though last time I DMed I gave the PCs a golden long sword that, well, could be called The Longsword of Dickery, because its effects were exactly what you described

I don't remember exactly, it was several years ago. But I think it had healing properties and could break curses and that sort of thing (because I remember one of the PCs once got blind, until he put the crown on and than his sight came back, but only in black/white)

The ultimate compass could just point towards whatever you tell it to.

I made this a long time ago but it's served me well.

Everyone has given a team an iteration of "the wand of dickery".
That only makes you belive it casted a fireball or a lightning. While actually doing nothing.

Dickery items are made for the party to develop inside jokes. Don't feel sad about it.

That's pretty interesting.

I love items that are almost, but not completely, entirely useless.

gamemasterspgh.com/GMBlogs/billv/?p=101

Of course. Who the fuck uses the lame ass magic items from the core?
>le +1
Not magical at all.

does it have +4str and +4con as well?

is that a jojo reference

I think I would just sort it better. Make it Table 1 and Table 2 (the first one and the properties one) numerical, and the others I would use the alphabet instead of adding more numbers.

I got confused the first time and rolled a bunch of tables and couldn't make sense of the item at all. Until I realized I only had to follow the core 2 tables and then go to the tables it told me.

It's a decent pdf and gives me ideas, which I think its the point. So thanks and if you ever update it keep us updated as well.

Does anyone have any feedback to give on any of these? I'm going through again and could use some fresh eyes looking at them.

A corona-topped scepter which works as a saw blade.

Feng Shui traps.

A magical wand which is also a spider.

A handheld bombard powered by a djinn.

A javelin made from magical eolic reeds.

Blessed iron nails which strengthen whatever used into.

An iron collar which strangles traitors.

Leyships.

Cryptomantic seals.

Concrete reinforced by vampire ashes. It becomes self-healing.

Geode seeds which expand to become underground chambers and even cities.

Crab-senseis one wears as a mask and gets magical not!japanese armour plus training.

Pyroclastic bullets.

Leyguns.

zombie-on-a-barrel.

A magical sentient legion standard which leads its own order of undead horsemen.

Shrunken heads work as currency among the goblinoids because they are like batteries to augment magic.

Book-trees.

Origami golems made out of grimories.

Megaliths encoding gas-based information.

Those all were by me and my GM, I'm the loremaster.

My GM made one for our buddy who made the pitiful mistake of complaining about how we never use cursed items, and the guy basically said, "You want cursed items? I'll give you cursed items!"

The Pants of Engorgement
>On the outside, these appear to just be ordinary , if finely crafted, pants, with gold stitching tracing an arrow around the genital region.
>However, once worn by any male , these pants bind to the wearer,
>While worn, the force the wearer to become immediately, obviously, and almost violently erect, and their erection is extremely visible at first glance to anybody who sees them. At close glance, it can even be seen to throb slightly through the fabric. This does not cause any health effects for the individual, but no matter what they do their hard-on will ALWAYS be pitching at full mast at all times.
>The only way to make the hard-on disappear is for the wearer to expose their genitals to the open air, at which point it will act like normal genitalia for the duration of exposure. Covering the genitals with additional clothing (such as a sock) makes the erection return immediately and with great force - you cannot fool the pants.
>As long as the wearer is suffering from the pants, he automatically gains an additional degree of success or failure on any Intimidate or Seduction tests against any being that even remotely understands what it signifies - none can ignore the girth.
>The pants can be removed by being doused in holy water and then set on fire, irreparably destroying the genitalia of the wearer, or by cutting the person in half at the waist, at which point the pants will simply fall off the body.

Basically, magic pants that meant you were either rock-hard at all times or you had to walk around dicks out. Hilarious from a gameplay perspective, and surprisingly not magical realm in practice.

Orion's Belt
>A massive belt of steel chain. When worn by 3 connecting people it increases their strength and constitution scores by +4 but prevents them from moving more than 15ft from one another.

I have a couple for the 40k RPG, but they could be reworked/fluffed for a different system pretty easily. Anyone interested?

Thanks. I usually make the joke that he looks like a hipster chef, and that he's kind of an incorrigible dick.

I've always loved a dagger our dm ripped from ff.
It did damage that increased by how many hours you were down.
A fighter has lost 41 hp? The dagger did 1d4+41.
Came in very handy a few times.

Yup. Let's see them so we may judge you.

Might want to get someone to do some proofreading, but it doesn't look bad otherwise

Alrighty, here you go, first up is the Codex Umbra.
A book with a simple black cover that never seems to have the same amount of light falling on it as the surrounding environment, the Codex Umbra has several shadow-based powers. Unfortunately, most of the book is written in an obscure language, and must be translated before new abilities can be discovered (a hard (-20) intelligence extended test with at least 10 total degrees of success will suffice for each segment.) Each time the book is used, roll 1d10. On a 3 or lower, the user gains 1d5 corruption.
Another side effect of using the Codex is that the user's skin pales and his eyes become pitch black for a moment while chanting from the book, becoming more obvious and long-lasting as the user's corruption increases. (Noticeable with a Hard (-20) awareness test from 0-29 corruption, and a -10 thereafter)
>cont.

The Codex Umbra's abilities are as follows:
>Dark Bolt:
Functions like the Force Bolt power, the user makes a ballistic skill test to hit the target, inflicting 1d10+2 impact damage, ignoring armor, if successful.
Uses a half action.

>Shadow Hand:
Functions like the Telekinetic Crush power, but the user receives a +10 to the opposed Willpower vs Toughness Test. If successful, the user may inflict 1d10 plus 1 point of damage per psi rating impact damage, or simply grapple the target of the power. Uses a half action. It can also grasp and hold light objects from a distance, though it can potentially be obstructed

>Call Darkling:
Summons a featureless, vaguely humanoid creature made of darkness to aid in combat which uses the following profile: WS 40, BS 0, T 30, Agi 40, 8 wounds, 4 armor everywhere, attack deals 1d10+3 I, pen 2
The entity can follow simple commands such as “Attack” and “Stand guard here.” More complex commands require a Difficult (-10) Command test. Requires a full action.

>Summon Lesser Doppelganger:
Summons a slightly weaker duplicate of the user, which appears very pale and has black eyes. Much like the darkling, it assists in combat and can obey simple commands, though the doppelganger has less of a tendency to interpret orders in the most literal way. Use the summoner's combat stats and subtract 5, it is armed with the last weapon that the summoner used. Up to 2 doppelgangers can be summoned, each inflicting 1 level of fatigue unless a Difficult (-10) toughness test is passed. Requires a full action.

And secondly, the Blood Rose.

An elegant one-handed sword with a basket hilt covered in small metal barbs made to resemble thorns and a rose design etched into the blade, the Blood Rose has potent abilities that increase its killing power at the expense of a small amount of the wielder's life force.
Without a blood sacrifice, the sword uses the following profile:
1d10+4 R, Pen 2, Balanced, Best craftsmanship

However, the user can sacrifice up to 5 wounds to add an additional point of damage and penetration per wound spent in this way and the attack also gains the Tearing quality, the wielder also regains 1d5 wounds after successfully dealing damage. This applies to the next successful strike. If this power is used, the wielder must make a Very Hard (-30) willpower test to sheath the weapon if they have not killed an enemy with it. Failure results in 1d5 corruption points and the user feels a lingering bloodlust that grows stronger as they grow more corrupted.

The Big ole Knife
>Once per day, the user can cause the knife blade to extend continuously until it hits an obstacle. If fired into the air, it can presumably extend forever. The weight and physics of the knife adjust accordingly.

I have a party member who has a PC... she's basically an adventuring jester or something, who travels around in a big gaudy wagon. It's bigger on the inside, so she helps store all the party's loot and etc.

Anyway, the thing is, she also has a bunch of random magical junk/theatre props in there of dubious type and origin. Here are some of them:

>Laddermerang
It's a ladder. If climbed, it has a 2d3 chance to collapse comically. If thrown, it entangles enemies - or comes whirling back like a boomerang. Yes, a giant, ladder-shaped boomerang. Be sure to duck.

>Chester
Magically operated ventriloquist prop in the shape of a chest mimic.

>Elf Statuette
If thieves try to steal something in this elf's gaze, the thieves will find themselves missing something of equal value (which appears in the gaze of the elf) once they have left.

>Illusion Gem
Large stone, looks precious, has a mount for a cloak clasp. The stone is clear - images can be seen inside. The wearer of the stone can influence what the images look like with her mind.
The stone can also make an illusionary spray of water from itself, to a range of two feet.

>Flying Mallet
A mallet that does no damage, but sends whoever is it with it flying (1d4)*10 feet through the air, horizontally or vertically. They land in a heap. (no falling damage either)

>An axe of high quality that can't cut flesh. Prized by clumsy lumberjacks everywhere.
>A blindfold that blocks outside noise and light. Intended as a sleep aid for wastefully rich nobles and mages, it was quickly appropriated by less savory parties. Made from dark cloth with sparkly bits meant to look like stars.
>An otherwise mundane shield that, when tapped thrice to an image or symbol, takes on that image as though it were heraldry. The original just needed to be tapped once, but there were some incidents.
>Glowing marbles. Intended by charlatans to awe peasants, savvy adventurers use them as canaries to tell when magic inhibiting or magic enhancing effects come into play.
>A well worn set of plate enchanted to be rather comfortable to sleep in. Commissioned by a particularly paranoid noble who feared assassins.

Will do thank you!

docs.google.com/document/d/1i06wZU7px37OF2SD7xJ8Ww-I1HCMEo4t3yyD8K1IM3c/edit?usp=sharing
Well I've been making custom rewards/items (5e) for my party because I like to enforce a certain type of combat, ie fast paced.

Elf statue - I imagine thief steals something worth then most things they have and once they leave everything on there person (weapons and clothes included) disappear - mind if I steal this? got some players that need to be calmed down

My homebrew has a diety that loves making things, particularly magic things (known as the God of Curios)

evil coin - A coin that subtly causes its owner make terrible financial decisions. Better than average at hiding its nature. If discovered, it will no longer effect the user but seems to have a way to vanish anyhow.

home brew - a modest drink with a taste and aroma reminiscent of a faraway home. It's calming effect is popular with adventurers and soldiers, its consumption guaranteeing a restful and happy sleep

love potion - the imbiber takes on a strong affinity for potion making for a day

trusty ring - these rings prevent the wearer from telling lies or half-truths. Despite their rarity, trusty rings are easily recognizable across the land and appreciated by many, granting a large boost to charisma. The ring crumbles if taken off.

mirror sword - this immaculate blade has been polished to a mirror shine. While in combat with a sword wielding humanoid, you may use the opponents strength as your own, or force them to use your strength

Scroll of fire sale - if an item(s) is wrapped in the scroll and then burnt, coins equivalent to the value will be recoverable from the ashes

Sure-standing Boots: Advantage on saves against Prone or being pushed.
Infernal Knife: A kris knife that deals 2d4+modifier slashing damage on a hit, a one-handed martial finesse weapon. On a critical hit or critical failure, the knife turns on the wielder, dealing damage as if a critical hit.
Death's Cards: This deck of twenty is filled with black-backed cards. Ten cards show red hearts, one shows a golden heart, eight cards show skulls, and one card shows a silver skull. You can draw only one hand of five cards per day, but you can choose when to reveal a card and thus gain an effect: Every red heart gives you a +1 bonus to your next saving throw, the golden heart gives you a +1 bonus and advantage, the skulls give you a -1 saving throw penalty, and the silver skull gives you a -1 penalty and disadvantage on your next saving throw. The effect of the hand and the deck wear off after 24 hours, and you must shuffle the deck to use it again- it cannot be card-tricked into giving a value, either.
Crimson Courage: This large wax seal, when placed in a visible location on armor, causes the wearer to take 1 extra point of damage from all sources in exchange for a +1 bonus to Armor Class.
Shout Bands: Each member of the pair wearing these bands becomes muted, but is able to communicate telepathically with the other wearer at distances up to a mile.
Brilliant Stone: Acts as a constant source of Light, as the cantrip. If hurled like an improvised weapon, they shatter on a hit and deal 2d6 radiant damage within a 5-foot radius sphere, Dex save 13 for half damage.
THE WALL
youtube.com/watch?v=abudgvoLo1o

I usd something similar to cut costs for my barbarian's handaxe fund

>Adventurer's Sword (requires attunement): This magical longsword is indestructible and holds three charges. You can spend one charge to double your proficiency bonus on an attack roll with it, after you make the attack roll but before you are told whether the attack hits or not. When you roll a 1 on the d20 for an attack roll with this weapon, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll. The weapon regains all charges at sunrise.

>Steadfast Belt (requires attunement): This enchanted belt halves all incoming damage and turns incoming critical hits into regular hits, but all attack rolls against you not made at disadvantage hit, and if you succeed on a saving throw that would allow you to take no damage, you take half damage instead.

>Due to the Dead (requires attunement): This handaxe is composed entirely of sleek, pitch-black metal. The weapon gains a +1 enchantment bonus for each creature it slays, to a maximum of +3, which lasts for one minute. Each round, the attuned user's hit points and maximum hit points drop by the current enchantment bonus on the axe. This reduction cannot be reduced or negated, and does not disappear until the enchantment bonus on the axe reaches 0. If the user scores a critical hit against a creature with 100 or fewer hit points while the axe has its own +3 enchantment bonus, the creature is instantly slain.

>The Fury Machine
An extremely terrible device made from parts stolen from an Aboleth space ship, it's build into a small cabinet, about the size of an end table.

When the machine is active, it begins a powerful psionic interrogation of all unshielded living things in range. After getting sufficient information, it then attacks those beings with vivid hallucinations, which are designed to make the targets as angry as possible. The machine shows a great deal of intelligence in designing these, and attempts to divert the fury away from itself. Deactivates only when there are no more targets in range.

It may or may not still be communicating with the ship it was stolen from.

i agree this is very confusing

The steadfast belt is broken as fuck. Put it on a raging barbarian and then he will tank all the groups enemies by himself and reduce it to 25% percent.

Det drawback should affect the bearers ability to attack in my opinion. Like hindering his movement, so that he is tough but can't position himself well

A bow that shoots fire arrows. The twist is it makes the archer sparkle and shine. All the time while he has the bow on him.

A thing that distorts magic and all spells have random effects instead of the intended ones. The twist is it also includes your own spells, healing magic too.

A gem that allows you to control water. The twist is you build up sexual tension every time you use this gem.

A scroll that allows you tocast several spells. The twist is every curse you pronounce while touching the scroll is fulfilled.

I remember an old dm of mines had a cool (yet stupid) concept.

Introduction:
Everyone wanted to play unarmed kung-fu fighting monks that game.

>Sentai's justice light
(I actually don't remember the name but it fittes)
To activate it, more than 3 people had to touch this torch togheter. The torch lighted up making a ring of light in a radius of 30-20 meters.
If anyone of the activators leaves the zone, the torch fades.

Activating the torch gave a little buff to strength and agility, also healed a little bit from time to time.
Touchers must not kill their enemies.

If an enemy inside the circle faints, in a (i don't remember how many turns), they're teleported away to somewhere safe.

>May cause Cherry blossoms to fall from the sky if striking for "justice"

And that's how he gave heals to an healerless team.

...are you the guy who had his wizard build a mass produced magical item business?
Do the waste go into a pocket dimension he created specialy for this?
Is the pocket dimension going to empty its content upon your wizard's death?

>Stopwatch of Foresight
What happen if I press the button?

It randomizes the time

the wand of disintegration
when it disintegrates, hoo boy does it disintegrate

Pretty neat.

The one I gave was sort of a punishment. Here is the story:

>The PCs were exploring the tomb of an extinct house of lords (which btw, had nothing to do with the quest).
>To open the last chamber (containing the remains of the last ruling lord of that house), there was a puzzle, which was basically the most elaborate puzzle I ever created as DM. I was proud of it.

>Then one of the PCs just chose one random answer without even discussing with the rest of the party.

> So I made it clear that the massive stone doors got shut down for real.
> players still want whatever is behind that door, some dumb-ass metagaming
> find some dwarf merchant that sells explosives that can burst the door open
> open the door
> loot a magical golden longsword
> The Golden Longsword of Dickery

Well, idk, I thought the player that tried to ignore the puzzle sort of deserved it. Not really because he was "whatever" for my puzzle, but because he took away the change of the rest of the party to enjoy it. If they tried and failed (it was quite complex), I wouldn't be so punitive

No. It has no stats (but we play FATE on that campaign, so it wouldn't give those stats anyway :P )

Saying "I flip the coin" and then flipping the coin to activate it's effect would cause a paradox
>If heads, you flipped it twice, and if you get head again you flip it four times and so on until you get tails
>When you get tails you have never flipped the coin in the first place, so you couldn't have flipped it to begin with

This is why coins have edges.
Coins also have edges so they can be scored, so as people can't cut a sliver off the outside edge of all their coins, melt it into a bar and sell that.

Wouldn't it just point up all the time?

>Wouldn't it just point up all the time?
No.

That is the same as assuming a car GPS would always point a straight line to the destination. In both cases, what it does is that it consider all possible routes and show you the fastest one.

I meant the player in hold of the item would flip a real coin irl

>The steadfast belt is broken as fuck. Put it on a raging barbarian and then he will tank all the groups enemies by himself and reduce it to 25% percent.
Maybe, but if the enemy has a sufficiently low to hit, it could be a better investment to increase his armor class instead. Besides, it's supposed to be pretty powerful.

a cursed jester's cap that plays canned laughter when anyone fails at something.

Dozens for different systems. Some of my favorits:

A pair of amulets, shaped like an eye within a mouth.
>abilities
a magic user may use one to communicate and see a person using the other.
If the magic user is familiar with the secrets of the amulets she/he may use it anytime to spy or even intrude the dreams of a person in the vicinity of the other amulet.

The Talking Stone(s)
>abilities
A broken up magical, intelligente stone that can communicate with its parts. You can talk with it like with a person and it will deliver a message over one of its broken parts.
Important to remember is that it's basically playing whisper down the lane with a stone that doesn't have a concept of any matters of living beeings. Results may be very weird because of that. It has unlimited reach (even between different magic realms)

The Biting Stone
>abilities
Looking like a dark coloured pebble the stone can form a mouth and bite anybody touching it.
The true ability of the stone is holding a potent hunger spirit which is powerful enough to form the mouth to try to devour any living beeing in its reach.
>little anecdote
This stone was introduced the same session as the talking stone. Each player character could pick a stone (not knowing anything about the abilities) and while one picked a piece of the talking stone another picked the biting stone. He was bitten and denied his "price".
The player choosing the talking stone traided it later for a succubus handmaid and the tale of the biting stone and the succubus maid became the favorit tale.
Recently (years after) the group meet the biting stone again after beating a Wendigo. Only then they found out about the true abilities of the stone.

Stones of the filled Stomach
>abilities
You don't need nutrition of any kind to survive you have to either swallow them or build another magic item to use them.

Stones of Motion Theft
>abilities
If a magic user activates a stone anybody (yes, also the person activating) has to overcome the power of the stone or will be magically hold in place.

Amulet of the shifting Eye
>abilities
An illusion is bound to the amulet which makes the wearer of the amulet look like another race. For example an Orc may look like a human version if himself. The wearer may not choose how he looks, any peculiarities (scars, extrem body shapes, etc) stay the same.
Sylph Rapier
>abilities
A very light and quick rapier with a blade of exceptional quality.
A magic user can awake the sleeping spirits embedded in the blade.
If the wielder critically misses on a attack the sylphs will prank him and reduce his dice pool/dice result for one of his next actions (GM decides/rolls) by 2.
On a hit the sylphs prank the opponent and hinder his next move (see above).
On a critical success: The Sylphs go all out! They try to hinder the opponent as best as they can. Subtract 2 from both the opponents’ next active roll and his defense.

"Damu" Khophesh
>abilities
Basic blood drinking blade that but specific for a egyptian vampire. The bronze blade itself feeds on blood and the wielder needs to make a solid hit to benefit from the surplus blood the blade drains. On a critical miss the blade strikes attacks the wielder and drinks her/his blood

"Shezmu" Khopesh
>abilities
The sister blade to Damu. Same but drinks the very soul of the target and replenish magic power.

Golden scales armour of Sakkara
>abilities
Besides looking good it is impossibly light and perfectly tailored for the owner (removes movement penalty for the armour). It can't be tailored to anybody else and is owned by a NPC, so no exploid here.

Blood Amulet for the vampires servant
>abilities
The amulet itself is a potent magic protection amulet but nothing special. The interesting thing is a single drop of the blood of the vampire embedded within the amulet. The vampire herself (of course it's a sexy vampire. The servent is a player character) has the ability to see, feel and even teleport to the location of her blood.
The player didn't know about most of these abilities just that it was a gift after some very important missions he did for her. It saved his butt serveral times, just as made it possible for her to know every single of his secrets.

"Moms Diary"
>abilities
Archmages gift to his daughter. A part of her mothers soul and her memories are bound to a diary which she used after getting sick. When she reads it she can revisit the moment of the memory that is written down.
The archmage wrote a couple of pages himself with a similar effect before he himself died.

The Archmage Library
>abilities
Same archmage as above bound his sole to a soulstone, which was also bound to a pocketdimension. The soulstone now is used as an entrance to his library, holding all his knowledge. He himself is acting as the librarian.

The Heart Piercing Demon Shard
>abilities
This is a cursed item that was first disguised as a protection amulet. There are several states until it shows it's true form.
As soon as the wearer uses the protective power he/she starts to hear a voice in his/her dreams. The voice is explaining him/her that the amulet is shifting the luck of the wearer to protect but needs the lives of others to restore the balance of the universe. If the wearer would ever take of the amulet or fails to refill it his/her soul would be consumed
If the wearer continues to use the amulet and refill it with the lives of others it becomes more powerful until it bursts, piercing the heart of the wearer. Besides the pain the wearer now will have to kill more and more people to fill the hunger of the demon or it will drink from his own life and soul.
The demon will demand more and more lives as it becomes stronger and stronger. Additionally it wants the deaths to be more and more sadistic. In fact torture and sadism becomes the only alternative to satisfy the demons hunger.
In it's final state the demon will have reached its full potential and the victim won't be able to keep up with the demands. The demon will consume the soul of its victim and be born into reality.
Did that one to my own character in a 40k RPG. The character had to find a way out of this while becoming a monster.

Here's one my players love:
It's literaly a chrome spray paint can. Three uses, then it's gone. You spray it on your face, you say the verbal component, you get +5 to your next check. The rest of the party has to say the proper verbal component after the check too, otherwise it stops working.

a ruby sphere about the size of a softball.
when thrown it becomes wreathed in flames and when it impacts with something it produces a small explosion. it can be used as many times as it can be recovered.

Rags of endless shapes
>abilities
By cutting up parts of clothing and adding them to the rag it may take the shape of the ruined clothes at some point in the future for short time. The used rag will be slowly burned up and vanish. You can't use the same disguise again until you use new clothes and replace the used rag.
For the magic to work you have to use new clothes and not just a random part of it (it would only take the shape of that part if you do this).
The idea is that the wearer is wearing a colorful cape or sawed together rags for most of the time and can only change the shape for a short period of time to sneak in somewhere for example. If you want to have a perfect discuise anytime you should use something else.

Teardrop of Selene
>abilities
A tear shaped crystal that may purifies anything it touches. Used by clerics to heal. Is meant to be a rare very high level magic item, almost an artefact but common enough be able to archive for the players.

Themeless Cards of future telling
>abilities
A pack of Tarot cards that change the theme depending on who is using them or what the user is trying to prognosticate.
They are for a urban fantasy setting and in the hands of the owner are mostly sexy steampunk girls.

Iridium Ring of Elements
>abilities
for a urban fantasy setting. Metal ring with embedded blue glass that will magically show the composition of something the user is holding his hand over.

Ocarina of Calm Souls
>abilities
if you play hippie music on it everybody will get chill as if beeing high af.

Hair altering Comb
>abilities
if you comb your hair with it you may change the colour, curliness and length of your hair.

I also made fun stuff like magically enhanced drugs and potions, dark magic books that drives you crazy and other more generic stuff.

bumping while i'm stuck at work and can't post properly

nice

That'd be cool. Please make off with it! Well— you know what I mean. :D

this is a pretty common one that exists in a variety of forms but my take is:

Gambler's Gambit
After the player's intentions are declared and a dice roll is required, they may flip a coin. On a heads, the action is a critical success. On a tails, it is a critical failure. Once per day.