>no thread question
Dammit user.

Paladin Poll:
strawpoll.me/13919183

Not to mention he keeps posting it 3 pages early

Paladin's the most broken class in the game

>Complaining about the OP instead of contributing
Boo on you, user

How do I make the best and spookiest Tome Warlock for All Hallow's Eve? I'm thinking about taking the Fey Patron (Neifon, the Lord of Bats) and focusing on debuffs and Illusions. What would some good magic items and mystic arcanums be?

Opinions on the Comepndium of Forgotten Secrets? Better than the base game patrons in terms of unique mechanics and flavor?

hah thats funny

Defend your claim with examples

Still no full pdf for Tomb of Annihilation im guessing? I don't know why I keep checking here every few hours..

All right, /5eg/ I need your help with my next session.

>Party is traveling cross-country to get to an established town before winter locks them in
>After taking a shortcut through some corrupted woodland they pop out on the other side two days later
>Shave a week off their time
>Next hurdle is something called, "The Tankard".
>A massive rupture in the earth caused by the continent's former inhabitant's mad experiments
>A water volcano practically powered by an open portal to the Plane of Water that has a Mereid's coral palace blocking the exit
>Shifts infrequently causing water to surge up and out and exploding for miles in every direction
>Party has to make "The Tankard Run" quickly or be left to be eaten by the awakened plants the water has caused to grow over centuries of these eruptions

But I have no idea how to run it. I'm thinking of having it be a real slog with them being harried by these awakened things along the way. Resting increasing the likelihood of them being attacked the longer they do so. It just sort of looks like it would be the cart driver's session on no one else outside of combat. I know this is a lot to ask but is there anything you think I could do to make this better?

Yes, I posted this in another thread. But it was the necrobumped 5eg. Forgive me.

Champion or Battlemaster?

I just wanna play a sword n' boarder, but Champion seems much less optimal than Battlemaster.

>Not posting the awesome homebrew
user why?
>Actual question
I like them they add some extra options for the Warlocks and makes it so I don't have to make more. Plus they all come with plot hooks and backgrounds which are great!

There are a very rare amount of good homebrews out there (Wot4 Elements revised and Pugilist come to mind) this is one of them.

I've asked before and feedback I got was positive / follows design decisions, with exception of people not happy with the fact there's quite blatant combat pets.

album of ToA leaks
imgur.com/a/iglMj

>early new thread
>not to mention posted early

It's been persistently said it will likely be a week or two. Not everyone has been able to get physical copies, and it may not be people's priorities. Buy it yourself or give incentive for it - begging is annoying.

Crit fisher vs. neato maneuvers. Both work fine, I'm partial to battlemaster just for more options. Champion feels like 'generic fighter guy'

Have this cart get nuked by a sudden geyser, make em trek it on foot, starve them (within reason, you want them to actually clear it) of rests by saying the fucked up land makes it impossible to rest safely. Make encounters about clearing a path fast and punish them for taking too long with slower pace because geysers keep fucking up the path

Is there another way to pick up a second fighting style?

Reposting cause new thread.
I need some advice /5eg/. So one of my players is a Bard and he has to drop out of the game due to personal reasons. I can easily write him out for the time he will be gone, but there is an issue with this character leaving. He is the parties healer, main supporter, AOE, and teleporter.

>Homebrew Maestro Bard
>Baton of Fireball
>Staff of Healing
>Ring of Spell Storing
>Teleportation Circle which they just brought the materials for x5 of.

The worse part about this is that the teleporting is so important for their MO. They are chasing people who are far ahead of them and they are under a time crunch.

What should I do? Should I make him an NPC who does not leave the city or write him out until the player can come back? Something else?

Party comp:
Elf Assassin Rogue 9
Halfling Lore Bard 6/Arcane Trickster Rogue 3
Human Totem Barbarian 9
Human Knight Fighter 9
Half-Orc Totem Barbarian 9
Maestro Bard 9

>Second fighting style
>Level 10

ehhhhhh I mean.. you got me on that but it's at level 10. Many games barely get to 12.

Going two levels in ranger or paladin. Ranger will be much easier to justify thematically.

Multiclass into paladin or ranger

Champ is definitely playable and not weak. It's fine unless you think it would bore you.
Battlemasters are great, especially if you take Shield Master your S&B guy will be pretty awesome. EKs can be better tanks. Take Defense style and use a shield (easier if you take Warcaster at level 4) and with Blur/Shield/Mirror Image you're incredibly hard to hit.

Champion if you want to run into the common fighter problem of being bored to death, Battlemaster if not.

I've been super curious what people think of the slayer class; homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Hkwil69Be

It's overdeveloped tumblrtier gargbage

Let your Lore bard take over for him, have the other bard "teach him a couple tricks" before he leaves the party.

Thanks, I don't know how that slipped past me.

I've taken all my games to 20
It's for an NPC. I've never run a 5e game before, but done a fair amount of character building, but never really seriously.

I've been super wanting to play an 11 battlemaster / 9 hunter UA ranger with spear master and shield master.

>EKs can be better tanks. Take Defense style and use a shield
>(easier if you take Warcaster at level 4)
Warcaster is absolutely mandatory unless you want to spend every other turn putting away and/or taking out your shield.

Though most DMs from my experience play pretty fast and loose with casting focuses and somatic components.

Want to give more specific feedback? I've been debating including it in my game as it seems neat and general feedback here has been positive.

You can just drop and pickup your weapon, user.

Kill him and make things dire, suddenly adding drama to the whole thing. Maybe the people they're being chased suffer some other sudden I'll fortune, and aren't so ahead anymore either. You can write him IN through whatever means, resurrection or twist of fate. Sometimes things change unexpectedly- like him leaving the campaign.

Man, I don't know. They have a lot of ground to cover. But I haven't exactly put them on edge and freaking out yet. It might just work. They do have some horses to share I suppose.

Thanks, user!

Rate the cover artwork for all the released 5e adventures so far.

Here is my list:
RoT>CoS>OotA=SKT>TftYP=PotA>ToA=LMoP>HotDQ

Looking for advice on a magical item I'm planning for my players.

WizardName's Decanter of Endless Hotwater.
Requires Attunement.
This item seems to match the description of most magical decanters, with obvious trademarks of the artificier who created it. However upon use the differences are quite noticable, the water produced is always of a steamy hot temperature, perfect for use in cooking or hot beverages. WizardName had this item affixed to the plumbing of her castle, providing not only a heating system to keep the place warm, but also a source of clean, warm water for his personal bath. This functions as a Decanter of Endless water, however the Geyser setting afflicts an additional 1d4 Fire Damage.

If attuned, or within the confines of the bathing atrium while the item is affixed to the plumbing, speaking a final command word will conjure a hissing cloud of steam and summon X Steam-Mephit servants who will gladly provide assistance. WizardName used them as servants to scrub his back and fetch towels and washcloths, but they are more than content to serve in combat as well. If slain, the magic of the decanter restores them and they can be summoned again at long rest.

>TLDR.
Decanter of Hot Water, deals +1d4 Fire damage on Geyser setting, once per X rest can summon some Steam Mephits.

I'm unsure which is more fun, interesting and balanced. Conjuring 1-2 Mephits with no duration, they can hang around all day until they are killed and basically serve as some amusing minions for the group who are servile and respectful of the attuned player, but can be dismissive and outright rude to others if the attuned player isn't looking.

Or simply have it as a once per week, and simply cast Conjure Minor Elementals but only for 8 Steam mephits.

Or try something different and make it a charge based item that can dish out other effects like a steamy fog cloud?

Really quick question. Where in the PHB does it say dropping an item is a thing you can do for free instead of an item interaction. I swear I read that somewhere in there I just can't find it anymore.

I don't like killing my player's characters when they are leaving the game temporarily I only do it when they die in the game or if they say they never want to come back. In addition to that, I also use Mercer's Ressurection rules so that death would mechanically affect him.

The people they are chasing are looking for an ancient spear to summon their archdevil lord and have to go through two planes of existence to get to it, I think they got time so I think writing him out might be a good idea. I kinda like this ideas of teaching the Lore Bard teleportation circle before he goes, but does that seem unfair? Maybe they teach each other something?

Since we're on fighters, is the Monster Hunter path any good?

Not particularly. The Ranger version is somewhat better.

Elaborate!

Do you feel like there are enough or too many schools of magic? Anything blatantly missing or are there some that are overlapping and could be condensed?

Also do you think some classes are redundant and should be lumped together with others?

> Ranger / Druid
> Paladin / Cleric
> Fighter / Rogue

Oh, so the lke free 24 damage isn't worthwhile, or just not enough to rely on?

Literally just play battle master instead unless yo really want to use thieves tools or cast detect magic.

If you want to go Monster Hunter you have to go the whole nine yards. Show up everyone, user. Do it.

Does anybody even use fucking inspiration?

Bumping

I see literally no reason for this to be attuned.

Also be wary of someone deciding to use it to give enemies hot steamy enemas of pain.

Bards.
_______

i have been rused

Ahem...

you mean dms or players?

They'll want to go around. Either let them do it or have a really good reason for why they can't.

If I understand what's going on, there's this big round caldera with one or more small lakes in the middle and a fairly even distribution of murder plants throughout. When the gate to the plane of water becomes active, the plants get up and race for the edge of the caldera in a wall of murder, followed by a wall of water. Then the murder plants wait around the edge for the water to recede, at which point they shuffle back into their old positions. Determine a map of the caldera and determine how long it takes to cross, hopefully less than a day's march so that all the encounters are one adventuring day. Give them a chance to see some encounters coming (maybe the murder plants mostly leave you alone unless you try to shash through them or you're in their way during their migration) and determine exactly what happens if they stay too long.

Maybe tempt them by mentioning that at the very center of the caldera there is a ruined wizard's tower where the gate to the plane of water was created in the first place, where incredible magical treasure surely awaits them.

user, pls.

It's not stated in there by memory. But it's been clarified in sage advice that opening your hand does not require an object interaction. That makes perfect sense.

I mean DMs

>imgur.com/a/iglMj
>atropals and dinosaur zombies
Wow. Atropal is really dumbed down but it's cool they're including it at least. Probably aren't going to include the failed-abortion art that 3.5 had for it. That was what made it cool. "Deific stillbirth" mixed with the art was enough to carry the thing past mostly bland necromantic abilities.

You can drop and pick up/teleport your weapon, or just stick to Verbal-only spells.
Also as per Sage advice you can cast VS spells if you "stow your weapon in your shield hand," although I personally think that's a bit stupid.

This is the Atropal art.

While I would like to use it more, i do use them mostly in two instances:

>A Player or more are doing something really cool/flashy/funny by being good roleplayers, not because some class features allowed them to
>A PC plays out his flaws correctly, even though the player knows it will fuck him up in some way or another. Many players just try to play optimized, so I reward those who actually try to roleplay

Literally me

I'm thinking of hacking on the rules that inspired it from Fate, excluding the players-rewrite-plot bit. Meaning, ideals/bonds/flaws should work like aspects and be handy to call upon and hinder the player (gets point) or help (spends point).

Has anyone tried this? I've looked it up and only seen people from like 2015 talking about maybe doing it in the future.

They can go around. It will take a bit longer to circumvent it. Also to the north there be Hill Giants. Dumb as all get out. It really helps that I gave them a guide at the start. He's been on the continent for a few decades so he knows, or has heard of, a lot of the larger goings-on around the New World. How the volcano works is that it's at the southern edge of a continent. However the bay it rests of the edge of was once above water. However, to get to where they are going they have to go north and then take a hard left and go west. Or risk the Tankard Run and get a straight shot to their town.

I already have an adventure planned out in the volcano. But it involves them meeting two sealed away Mereids who are gratefully for freeing them and give them a wish between the four of them. They're not happy that their palace home has been slammed against the walls of a mountain for who knows how long. But they won't take it out on the PC's too hard.

I appreciate the ideas, user. I was in a rut. I wish I could post the map but damn it looks bad.

Decent. A bit shadowy, lacks definition, but that's all the 5e art. I suppose I'm biases anyways.

>But it's been clarified in sage advice that opening your hand does not require an object interac

Can I get a source on this.

>Do you feel like there are enough or too many schools of magic? Anything blatantly missing
My boy Chronomancy

You can google it pretty damned easy user. Also, again, it's not hard to think "just opening your hand" shouldn't take an object interaction.

Apologies I see, thank you!

>hacking
Literally the clearest sign of a nu male faggot in existence. Only beta fucks who play Dungeon World in their living room while Jamal is ramming their wife upstairs, use the word "hack" to denote homebrew or houserules. It's the most retarded slang to exist in years, complete cancer. Anyone who says they are going to "hack" something is INVARIABLY using some from FATE, Apocalypse World, or one of those other shit narrative games. Actually, Apocalypse World is pretty good, but the faggots who "hack" it should be cleansed from the earth.

I still see a resemblance

> Ranger / Druid
They should've broken Ranger between Druid and Fighter, Druid gets Beast Master, Fighter gets Hunter.

ToA scans never.

>Cuck

Do you really have thoughts of Jamal fucking your wife so much you have to project that on to anonymous fa/tg/uys on a dead image board?

Playing yourself there, champ.

Speaking of cucks, How do you guys write your leaders in a way that makes them sound grossly incompetent but you don't want your fucking party to try and usurp them and stay on course?

I don't really get 5e's point of separating illusion and enchantment. The line between those two feels way narrower and blurrier to me than the others. Also, intuitively to new players "enchantment" sounds like it's going to be about messing with items instead of minds (more like transmutation).

>use the word "hack" to denote homebrew or houserules
user. He said "hacking on the rules", as in breaking them down into more simplified pieces to take inspiration from. Your inability to read put you into such an autistic rage that I actually almost feel sorry for you.

I actually agree. Ranger is such a weird class because all of the ranger abilities either fall under "fighter power", "Druid power" or "Rogue power". Just chop the ranger up and give it to those three classes. It's an identity crisis thing. If Ranger wasn't so shit out of the gate and had a real identity maybe this idea wouldn't have merit.

didn't realize that lingo was cursed to hell and banned from Veeky Forums, m8

Evocation should be rolled into Transmutation and Conjuration. Enchantment and Illusion rolled together.

>5e's point

You mean DnD since.. ever? I sorta agree. Illusions are lies for your senses while enchantment is lies for your thoughts and emotions I guess? Over all though if two schools were to ever be merged those two would be it for sure.

ignore him, just some sperg. continue about your day

>Evocation should be rolled into Transmutation and Conjuration
Why?
>Enchantment and Illusion rolled together
Why?

Agreed. I actually feel like that about paladin and monks as well.

That wasn't the question I was fucking asked DON'T PUT ME ON THE SPOT LIKE THIS user RRRAAAGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Any word if there is going to be a 5e Legends & Lore equivalent?

Cure Wounds should be necromancy.

I feel like most ranger spells can be easily refluffed (or even just understood differently?) to be low- or non-magical guerilla woodsman hunter/tracker skills, which isn't an identity conflicting with other classes. That's what I think ranger should be understood as, and I like it. The ranger is at home in the wilderness, but doesn't control it much or merge with it like a druid.

Top level is incompetent, but he has enough supporters that know what they are doing to keep things on course - it is obvious that if the leader was competent, the kingdom (or whatever) would absolutely flourish, but the risk of trying to take over and lose the network of support that has kept the kingdom afloat is too great.

necromancy should stop being a wizard school and get it's own class.

Is it possible to play a necromancer without the campaign devolving into an evil campaign?

Tavern Brawler: If I hit with an unarmed strike I can grapple them as a bonus.
Fangs of the Fire Snake: Increase the range of your unarmed strikes by 10 foot. Also fire. Still an unarmed strike though.

By this logic I can now grapple something at 15 feet.
Nice.

As the perpetual DM of my group, I award inspiration fairly regularly due to my players being fairly above average when it comes to roleplaying their characters, even the newbies to the game. I also sometimes award it for playing their class(es) correctly or interestingly, albeit less often since that's only to be expected.

As for whether my players use inspiration when it's granted to them: yes, they do. They aren't so lucky that all of their rolls are good ones. Sometimes I or another player has to remind them that they have inspiration if it's been a few sessions since they acquired it but that's also to be expected.

Yes. Communicate with your DM.

No.

Yes, but when your turn ends so does fangs of the fire snake and you lose grapple. So. Uh.

Rate my homebrew enchantments out of 10. I want the NPCs to be able to reward the players for helping them in a unique way.

Titan's Blessing
The mystical powers of the Titan can be imbued into weapons, armor, or trinkets. The blessed item can be used any number of times a day as an action, reaction, or bonus action. Upon use, it grants the user stoneskin for two rounds, granting them resistance to nonmagical bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage. It also confers immunity to poison and petrification, and grants +1 to strength rolls for the duration. Two rounds after each use, the user suffers a level of exhaustion.

Echo Charm
You may use the echo charm once per day. On use, you may repeat the last action you took. If you echo an attack that hit, the echo charm's attack will always hit and do the exact same damage as the last action you took. If you echo a move or dash, you can simply double the distance you travel. You can echo the use of an item if the item can normally be used twice consecutively. If the action used resources, you must spend those resources again. (eg a magical item's charges, or a class resource like a monk's ki, a caster's spell slot, or a fighter's maneuver)

Go mystic instead. Focus for Giant Growth increases your reach by 5 feet at all times, and if you use the giant growth focus you can grappled at 15 feet.

My big issue with inspiration is how you have to use it ahead of time on the roll. It also isn't really helpful against a seriously hard check, only against something that you could probably do anyway on a decent roll.

no, keep your necrophilia away from the table

I'll move them to me in that time and hold them with my actual hands.