WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Reinforcements are en route
youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo

>Previous Thread(s):

Other urls found in this thread:

sessions.edu/color-calculator/
youtube.com/watch?v=Ougd6l1FnLQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

And my updated banner

I have an extra, small pot of Agrax Earthshade. If I drink it, will I gain its power?

Only if you believe in your self. Also Nurn Oil is 10x better

Anyone know I reliably place to find a Johnny model I have a friend who plays marines and I want to get him one?

If I drink the nuln oil, will I gain its power?

If you drink the paint water you will gain Duncans power.

By those trips.

grainy as fuck, looks like a primer issue though, too bad because otherwise it's ok

>Anyone know I reliably place to find a Johnny model I have a friend who plays marines and I want to get him one?

There was one on eBay that ended yesterday. I posted it here a couple of times; I hope one of us elegan/tg/entlemen came away with it!

Emperor's Teeth! It went for £19.00!

Well it would have been a cheaper gift than a primaris chaplain.

damn son that is grainy as fuck.
I had the same problem on a couple of minis. For the rest of them, I suggest letting them soak in simple green or some other cleaner you typically use for stripping (but I would think one that's a bit slower working) for a couple of hours then going over them with a paintbrush. It should get most of the graininess off. Other than that it's not bad, but the details are hard to see because of said graininess. Also, I'd clean up around the corner of that cloak. there's a little bit of red.
Can't say for certain, but the powersword and white looks a little thick too.

Update on Necromancer Warband.

Today I finished my Bard and a Man at Arms.

I also got the cloth base coats done on the rest of the Soldiers. I'm saving the Wizard, Apprentice and the couple of really cool models with lots of detail that will be a Templar and Knight for last.

Some of you guys need to undercoat by hand rather than having a spray can fuck your minis up.
Not saying spraying is bad, but maybe spray some sprue first if you really have to spray.

There are some nice minis ruined by chalky spray undercoats.

So /WIP/, I have aaaaall this shit, its been 10 years since I last painted.

I was thinking about starting with the moonclan grots, then doing the dispossessed warriors. By then I should have enough practice to start with heros, cannons, spiderfangs, etc

The list is somewhat like:
>around 120 grots with spears
>around 60 grots with bows
>1 sour breath troggoth
>4 grot shaman
>4 grot warboss with moon slices and baby squig
>1 grot fanatic
>30 grot spider riders
>10 orruk ardboys

>around 26 dispossessed warriors
>around 16 miners (now longbeards)
>20 thunderers
>2 warden kings
> 1 unforged
>2 cannons

>12 driads
>around 20 gladeguard with broken bits
>5 glade riders (squated)

>1 dragonlord but no wings

>5 chaos riders
>1 chaos sorc I whant to pass as a gaunt summoner on disk of tzeentch
>10 demonettes

>8 mordheim amazons

I want to modify enough grots so I have 3 nets every 20 models, kinda want to fix the gladeguard, but no idea how, and want to make one of the cannon crew models into runesmiths as they are similar, but dunno on how to substitute them.

*checks file name* Should I be concerned?

What are the Citadel Glazes good for? And when would you want to use the gloss washes instead?

nah, I already told the story here and I believe on /AoSG/, some store owner stole most of my minis a long time ago, this is what survived mostly because it wasn't painted.

Damn that sucks.

I use gloss washes for armor that you want to darken, but not take the shine off of.

Yeah man, strip and re-prime. Try to prime when the humidity is below 65% and at 30cm or so

>What are the Citadel Glazes good for?
When you want to tint the surface of a mini with extremely thin paint. They're cleaner and subtler than washes.

>And when would you want to use the gloss washes instead?
When you're washing something glossy. Alternatively, if you gloss varnishes a mini in preparation for a wash the gloss in the shade will reduce the surface tension even further, allowing for nice pin washes. (I still prefer oil washes though) You can matte coat afterword.

How did this asshole pull it off?

Neat thanks
I imagine the tint on GK armour then is a example of what glazes are good for

I live in Hawaii.

He made a new FLGS in my country and they are quite rare, I needed a job after I returned from Italy and thought it would be perfect to help the guy out as I wanted to keep painting my little toy soldiers. 6 months later I had one week off as I needed to sort some personal things. When I returned the store was no more and he never answered the phone.now its been too long so even if I could talk to him it would most likely be useless.

On the bright side I found all this last week, buried deep in my house. So I decided to start playing again. As of now I'll start with what I have, which for some reason makes most people on /AoSG/ rage, but I'm just happy I get to have at least two armies so I can play with friends

Looking at the positives, good man. And it's always good to have a fresh start although you did lose some of your belongs so I'm sorry to hear that but it does sound like they weren't deserving of your good deeds there if they went through the trouble of just taking your things like that.

Inb4 (USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

>When you make a order of paint from Forgeworld, but Forget to add two more paints to the order
>When the one you ordered last arrived on monday but the first one you ordered still hasn't arrived

Where's my fucking valdor gold forgeworld, Has this happened to anyone else?

>When you make a order of paint from Forgeworld, but Forget to add two more paints to the order

>When the one you ordered last arrived on Monday but the first one you ordered still hasn't arrived

Where's my fucking valdor gold forgeworld, Has this happened to anyone else?

thanks dude. I'll keep posting updates on the armies I'll be painting, also because I want to proxy several things. As I'm a poorfag getting all the materials I need is as slow as it can be, but I only need the plastic cement which I'll get tomorrow, then the only thing I need is some turf.

Here is a pic of one of my first minis ever (back from 2005!) just so I can contribute something to the thread.

Fucking double post sorry, I thought my post didn't go through.

Must be nice to hold onto your first mini like that, I wish I did. Bet he looked like a bad ass spearman militia dude 12 years ago but it looks like you stopped feeding him, he's nothing but bones

Guardsman wip. Hope to have him done this month.

So how do people figure out complementary colours?
Like what goes with Mephiston Red
I was thinking Mephiston+evil sunz and admin grey
glowy bits blue with blue+white

How do I do coloured metallics like 30k alpha legion without an airbrush? I tried mixing silver with a colour and it was ok but dulled the sheen quite a bit while making the colour itself really light. Any subsequent dulling by washes cut the shine drastically.

I heard of just washing/glazing plain silver repeatedly, does that work? I'd like something dark metallic purple.

I've been painting metallic purple for a while, and yeah, mixing silver and a colour will not give you a good look.
I've found two ways
>Light silver base, carefully layering a wash on top.
Will probably give the best look, but is very time consuming and hard to do consistently. I was wishing for death after painting a couple terminators this way.
>a mix of metallic medium and your desired colour
easy way, and isnt too far from the result you'd get with the previous method. Just remember to mix 'em thorougly. also easier to fix when you accidentally splat another colour on the armour when fx painting the rims on shoulders.

Hope it helps user

Just an update on my post last thread, my Battlefleet gothic Tyranid fleet is coming along nicely, I've decided to paint the boarding craft purple as a nice contrast to the green fighters, plus in my head it's a great homage to the genestealers I imagine to be inside

Thanks a lot! Yeah I've been considering metallic medium. What brand is good (in terms of performance and price)? Most of my paints are Vallejo Game and while most of them are good, the metallics are borderline dogshit.

sadly i've only tried vallejo's metallic medium, so i can't give you a comparison or advice on best product, but i've been happy with mine, so take that for what you will.

wish i was at home so i could get a picture of what to expect.

No worries mate, your advice is still precious. I'm waiting on an order from Wayland atm for some washes and lahmian (last time I buy from them, sat on my money for a week and their excuse was "several big orders, couldn't ship", how fucking hard is it to buy 6 small paint pots ina box you mongos..). I'll test out that druchii violet on silver first then I'll see about getting some metallic medium.

Are you the Hawaii bro that had trouble last time?
I'm from Hawaii too, I just primed a bunch of mini's last week. I suggest you do them at night, that's when I get the best results. Eight or so once it's cooled down a bit.
What island?

>i'm waiting on an order from Wayland atm
you have my deepest condolences.
If you're situated in the uk or that general area, maybe try out Element Games. similar discounts on everything and reasonable shipping times (i usually get my stuff in 4-5 days here in Denmark)

Good luck on your metallic space marines, hope to see them crop up in this thread at some point.

Lads I started test-painting my kans, but should I start over and panel-light them? I don't know if it suits ork vehicles and very few people seem to do it, but almost everything I've used it on in the past (historicals mainly) looked better for it

Oahu, you? Also night priming isn't a bad idea at all. I'm going to live with my mistake though. I don't want to buy more paint

I'm in Oahu, up the road from Ala Moana , I had the same issue and night priming fixed it up. I also made sure the shake the fuck out of my can too. If you have any that are primed but not painted yet, give them a little scrub with some cleaner and they might be fine.

I'll give it a try, what's your army? I might have seen you at arm chair or other realms.

I only just started collecting last year so I haven't had a chance to play yet, mostly enjoying painting and doing my own GS sculpts.
Asstarts for what it matters. Though I'm not sure I'll give playing a try anytime soon, I'm not even looking at the codices as I build my dudes.
I've been in Other realms to buy shit the past few weekends though, I think there was a 40k event a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah, the codexes are free here on tgs 40kg, i play a ton of armies, GSC, Space Wolves, Deathguard, Black Templar, Orcs, Guard tank list (lucky 13s), and tau. There are a lot of meta fags here though.

Any tips on how to make this dude look less ultramarine? So much ultra cock smoking with these primaris I'm having a hard time converting.

I've heard lots of good stuff from element, I'm definitely trying them out next and not buying from wayland again. Shipping costs for them are a bit hit or miss. I live in Malta, so generally take a week to a week and a half to arrive.

I will post 'em eventually. my CSM pirates will all have different colour schemes depending on their origins or natures. but will have a single unifying mark which I'm still researching. Still considering wether I should make different schemes by the unit or the model (or handfuls of models). Say a 10-man CSM unit would have 4 different colour schemes.

New heads and shoulders. If the heads are of similar size to the old manlet marines as I've been led to believe.
You could do Forgeworld, which has chapter specific heads that are similar in design to the Primaris, which I think is just a modified Mark V?
Then I guess it depends on the chapter. BA could get away with just doing some blood drops, since they share a pretty similar look to smurfs, excluding the nipple armor.

Space wolves I'd just sculpt a fur loincloth and maybe shoulder pelts, and swap the heads as well.

that body armor for that particular model could work rather well for any Imperial Fist or BA chapter since they have similar designs, with just swapping to chapter specific shoulders.

My two pence would be to also have specific squad markings on one shoulder in adition to your pirate chapters mark on the other.

I wouldnt worry too much about the number of schemes in a squad, as long as you make it clear that they march in that specific squad. But yeah, maybe keeping it to 3-4 schemes at most will probably be best, also considering that soldiers will often band together with mates they've already served with.

Thank you, that's quite a good idea, I'll use that! The fluff for them is essentially Red Corsairs that are too much of a loose cannon to roll with Huron's dudes but are too good at what they do to refuse. So he banded them together and sent them off into a region of space to have a good time. These guys are balls-to-the-walls insane, was incredibly fun making shit up for them, so the colour schemes make sense. Got traitors and renegades from all walks of life.

I have the chapter symbol but I don't have the colour or pattern. It's difficult to pick due to the varied schemes, there's no single contrasting choice that stands out. Might go with a random piece of armour.

You could do something similar to what the deathwatch do with their silver arm.
All your pirates can have different colours and scemes, but maybe their helmets or someting else, always bear a stripe of a certain colour. Just make sure it's not a colour that clashes too much with all the different schemes you got going on.
Or did you just mean the colours for the chapter symbol ? i'm very tired

Oh no, that's exactly what I mean, like the Deathwatch. chapter symbol will most likely be silver, so I need to plan out each of the colour schemes and do some tests. It's quite a chore, but I think it'll be worthwhile.

Actually, you can judge this idea. One of my termielords is a slaaneshy obsessed with performance and theatre. He wears a giant vaudeville-style mask and even has that "two masks, one smiling, one frowning" symbol on a shoulderpad (only he's chaos so they're both screaming). Thinking of doing his scheme to be pink/flesh armour like Emp's children and the trim is done in colourful patchwork like the Harlequins.

He might look ugly and garish, an insult to the senses, which is exactly the look I'm going for, but I want it to look bad in a good way.

Finished bases for my spiderfang grots unit

I use this one sessions.edu/color-calculator/

Post your ongoing projects and WIP armies!

I'm moving house so packing everything up and probably leaving it in storage for a couple of months while we focus on the house. Taking this opportunity to have a bit of a break and hopefully come back with some vigour. Depressing how little I've painted since starting in January.

I love the idea, it sounds like a colourfull character (no pun intended)
I'd say go for it, but just keep in mind that going for 'looking bad in a good way', is really hard to pull off.

by trim do you mean like the rims on shoulderspads ? sounds quite difficult and finnicky

Yeah I do, the rims and trim around the entire model. Maybe some areas like little demonfaces on the chaos termie armour in dirty gold to not have that pain in the ass.

>'looking bad in a good way', is really hard to pull off.
Why though? I guess cause subjective opinions?

Here's my current WIP. 20 'zerkers in all their glory. To the guy from last thread: It's the first time i've used Anvil Industry and i'm really impressed with the quality and scults in general. Definetly going to order another batch of bionics from them.

>Depressing how little I've painted since starting in January.

Dude, your work has been the single most outstanding progress on this board. Full stop. It's not about painting a lot at once. It's about producing outstanding works of art.

Looking pretty good there user, looks fairly realistic

I recently got some bits from Anvil as well - they're top tier, to be sure. Rapid shipping too. I need to order some more helmets, too.

I'm having a hard time visualizing that kind of pattern on the trims, but i'm an advocate of experimentation and unique ideas, so go for it.

>'looking bad in a good way', is really hard to pull off.
>Why though? I guess cause subjective opinions?
Because you're stradling a knife's edge of ''looks kinda bad, but it's clearly intentional'' to ''it just looks plain bad''.
It really comes down to the small stuff and excecution.
And you are correct in there's alittle subjective opinions going on, since even when you pull off a style well, not all will like that style. But that goes for so many things in miniature painting (just look at metallic vs NMM discussions)

Dude I love everything you do. I have saved the pdf you gave us on how you paint and I plan to do some plague marines following your tips. You are an artist user, seriously

I see, you're right yes. I will experiment! It will certainly look weird, especially on the flesh colours but I'm willing to try as it fits with the theme and character.

I got 10 marines, 4 obliterators, an exalted champion (who is also nuts about performance as he's on a wooden stage and holding a skull like Hamlet, he idolizes the termie lord) and a Doomrider-expy bikerlord to colour, and I'm a wee bit stumped.

What if, since my pirates are all nutjobs, the chapter colour is red/orange/yellow/white like a flame. On their helmets cause they're hotheads?

i love the idea of you champion
four colours sounds like on a helmet, but i could sorta see it done, and if you get some good menacing eyeglow going, you can really sell their insane nature.

Tried to do a de-cloaking effect on my Stealth Suits. Any tips on how I can improve it?

The un-cloaked parts aren't anywhere near done, all I did was base in the black and green, so don't worry about those at the moment.

Actually looks pretty good mate.
Maybe adding some ziggzagging-ness to the line, but that's more up to taste.
The only two advice i'd actually give is maybe adding a single light blue wash tie the white and blue together, and then maybe stippling some lighter browns on the cloaked parts to emulate the gravel look of the base.

>I've seen some heresy.jpg
Thank you for your feedback! I wouldn't be able to do it on all helmets but some article of clothing, weapon or armour on their bodies would have said glow. Would definitely stand out and yes, glowing eyes are a great idea. I'd need to look up how to do a slight glow effect around the eyes too, it can help my skill.

Don't want to be stuck on one idea though, so I'll keep digging for nice schemes to try and chapter colours/motifs. I think the fluff will also help me come up with them.

Yeah I thought about glazing over the transition effect with a light blue, might go ahead and do that.

Look great buddy, I remember I did mine like that at first too. Looked quite similar to yours. I'd go with what recommended. Add a bit of a zigzag and blend the cloaked parts with the base. What I did was drybrush the areas and the base at the same time, so exactly the same texture.

I dunno how you can improve it, but I'm busting nuts just looking at it.

If you don't fancy painting those daemonettes you might be able to sell them for good money. They're OoP and the recent limited run GW did only made people want them more.

No problem buddy.

Easiest eye glow effect is
>bright colour
>recess wash
>white dot
or just finding Duncan's tutorial i guess.

Good luck on your adventures of heresy

It is generally inadivsable to dip your model in sand before the spray paint dries, user.

Very nice, but I just can't unsee the mold lines on the guns.

You nailed the left hand ones leg shimmer thing. the others are a little liney. Still looks good thou.

Thank you, I'll give it a search! Onwards, to blood, booze and bitches!

Get a file and some putty.... the join lines on those guns is glaringly obvious...

>Any tips on how to make this dude look less ultramarine?
>New heads and shoulders. If the heads are of similar size to the old manlet marines as I've been led to believe.

Believe it. Even on the starter kit guys, a little sawing and replacing goes a long way.

Now that I'm thinking about it, would it be a cop out to have a simple black chapter colour like a shoulderpad? Considering they're pirates n all, traditionally black/red flags.

They're eBay rescues, and they were glued together like that in a way I couldn't easily fix (it's not moldlines, the halves are misaligned). Annoys me too, but oh well, the squad cost five bucks.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ougd6l1FnLQ

>these fucking giant gorillaguard are never going to be replaced

hey, I've been eyeing the new Reiver set as a base to convert them to true-scale scouts.

anyone tried their hands on doing the same? I'm looking for ideas on what bitz to use and how to do it.

>gorillaguard
I prefer gorillaguard to spindly and fragile miniatures.

It's not a binary decision.

>the new Reiver set

The Reiver box comes with ten guys but they give you 24 heads! There's some conversion possibilities for you right there!

>The Reiver box comes with ten guys but they give you 24 heads! There's some conversion possibilities for you right there!

...not sure what you mean by this.
I mean, what other bits should I get to convert Reivers into true-scale Scouts?

Sniper rifles or a heavy bolter. GS up some cloaks to count as camo cloaks

Konverting myself some Kill Tanks!

I've got two more KV-2 models, so that I can fill up a superheavy detachment with these lovely 300pt pseudo-baneblades.

Looking at this kinda want me to get one.. but I already got so many half finished Ork-vehicles that need my love..

I like the hand sticking out.

Can't leave the driver without any action, can you?

He means "I was only paid £0.03 per post to shill for GW". As for your actual question, it depends how much green stuffing you're willing to do and how willing you are to deviate from the classic scout aesthetic. I'd say the torsos are fine, you could shave down the legs & GS cloth trousers onto them, either Reiver or scout heads (or maybe Catachan) depending on preference, could use Skitari backpacks for a less power armoured look. Not sure about arms, they look very power armour, but the scout ones are way too small. Might have to look to 3rd parties for less heavily armoured arms of that scale.