Stat me, Veeky Forums

Stat me, Veeky Forums
inb4 people only rely on knowledge they gleamed from Cthulhu Mythos stuff instead of the original book

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3gIFqBdRsvE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Veeky Forums doesn't read.

Size/Type: Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 5d10+25 (52 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+14
Attack: Claw +9 melee (1d6+5)
Full Attack: 2 claws +9 melee (1d6+5) and bite +4 melee (1d8+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab
Special Qualities: Scent
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 12, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +8, Spot +8
Feats: Alertness, Track
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary, pair, or pack (3-8)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 6-8 HD (Large); 9-15 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: —

I miss quests.

>Depends On The System
>D.O.T.S.
>dots
>....

Two acts.
First act, pretty mundane.
Second act, inspires depression, nihilism, obsession, and other mental disorders.

May imply some ancient bloodline descended from the rulers of Hastur.

It seems we read more than Veeky Forums and on a much wider variety of topics.

>tfw no qt Breton gf

then go to them

Dangerous Curiosity: Anyone offered a clear opportunity to read the book must a Resolve + Composure or gain the Obsession Condition related to the book. If the character is a Mage or is otherwise curious by nature (as a Vice, high dots of Occult or similar) the roll is at a -3 penalty.

I Must Know How It Ends: A character who has read the first act must pass a Resolve + Composure -3 roll to refrain from reading the whole book. This stacks with the above penalty for Mages and the curious.

Madness in the Pages: For regular mortals, reading the King in Yellow constitutes at least a single Breaking Point, usually at -5. At the Storyteller's discretion characters that are hedonistic, decadent, nihilistic, already mentally fragile or Francophile can suffer multiple. For the purpose of Conditions gained from the Breaking Point consider the roll result to be one worse that normal. Exceptional Success and Success inflict a mild mental Condition, Failure causes a severe mental Condition and Dramatic Failure inflicts a severe Persistent mental Condition.

Reading the book may grant the Dream Merit (MtA 2e, 101) or a dot in Occult.

For Mages, the book also serves as a powerful Grimoire, containing the following Rotes:
Befuddle (Mind•••, Persuasion)
Hallucination (Mind••••, Persuasion)
Incognito Presence (Mind••, Subterfuge)
Terrorize (Mind••••, Expression)
Psychic Assault (Mind•••, Socialize)
Speak with the Dead (Death•, Expression)
Touch of the Grave (Death••, Socialize)
Corridors of Time (Time•••••, Survival)
Transubstantiate Life (Life ••••, Matter ••••, Science)
Yet more may be hidden.

All of these Rotes have the option of being cast as antinomian spells (see the Systems for Scelesti, MtA 2e, 239).

Some whisper the book is also a hidden Daimonikon for a Legacy. So far this could not be confirmed.

They already wrote an entire adventure for it, user. I told you this. They based it on what the play book actually does, all its funky reality warping powers. Trust me, you'll love it. Now put down the book and pick these ones up.

Real talk though, if you had an actual Eldritch tome of realty fucker, would you? I mean, would you start going at it?

I want Mel Brooks to do a cosmic horror musical before he dies.

>Calling the King is not an "adventure." That word has a particular connotation I'm trying to avoid.

>Most people think of Call of Cthulhu adventures as mysterious monster hunts full of clues, blasphemous books, unspeakable monsters, cultists and desperate violence. This series of scenarios has none of that. This series of scenarios has none of that. Instead, we are using isolated locations and small groups of people thrown into situations they are unprepared to deal with.

>As the actors read through the play, a doorway opens: a doorway between the "imaginary" world of the play and our own "real" world. Slowly, the actors and the characters begin to merge together. The Hotel transforms into the Queen's castle in Alar and the desolate halls begin to fill with unearthly, masked revelers. At midnight, the Queen commands all remove their masks...

you read more genre fic and general knowledge than Veeky Forums, but i'd be willing to bet that Veeky Forums reads more poetry, philosophy, and literature

>Lit is more pretentious
Shocker

>Eldritch tome of realty fucker
Hell yeah especially if it lets me fuck over home owner associations.

>Only pursuing the art of mental gains

>especially if it lets me fuck over home owner associations.
I laughed too hard at this. I feel that you deserve the equivalent of a digital hj or hi-five, whichever rocks your boat.

>reading anything but genre fiction is pretentious

Yeah, but Veeky Forums is a loveless void.

Significant(2d20? Maybe even d100) SAN loss and if you don't go permanently insane, you're hunted down and killed by some eldritch monster.

The King in Yellow
A notorious play of unknown authorship. Some say even their own work lead to their undoing while others say they still live. It' words are poison, and impossible to find flaw. Each act, each scene unforgettable, such sinful elegance even the repulsed reader can only read on in horror from beginning to end. It's words worming their way into their psyche, playing on delusions and insecurities, and attracting death to their side.
Finding a copy of The King in Yellow is comically easy, and even in some cases the work finds itself to you. While reading the tome will not always attract the attention of the Living God, you are most certainly inviting death into your world, if not your mind.
Upon opening the book you are compelled to read it until completion, and upon completion the reader will invariably become poisoned by its words, possibly even haunted by some specter of death.
Sometimes the specter of death precedes obtaining the book itself, followed in dreams by a foul faced man.
1d10 mental poisons
1. Depression and weakness followed by the death(s) of loved one(s).
2. Something once though holy becomes twisted and wrong.
3. You've crossed paths him him one too many times, his pallid sagging face and unnatural appearance. Merely looking at him is enough to inspire revulsion.
4. Seek her throughout the world, why must you wait here, between these walls and the sheet of glass above?
5. All you can think of is this play; it's elements, it's characters, it's places, they all cloud your mind, old associations are replaced with new ones.
6. History is all wrong, all wrong! You'll prove them wrong, you'll write the real history and from it you shall know all truths!
7. Beyond the moon, towering above you see the towers of lost Carcosa!
8. Don your yellow robes and take up your jeweled crown as a rightful monarch!
9. Cats have come to despise you, even your own!
10. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

t. genre-slurping fa/tg/uy
this is true

I'd like to point out that
1. this girl returned, eventually, to YouTube
2. Veeky Forums has driven away three more YouTubers since this debacle, two of which posted vids in which they angrily yelled at Veeky Forums before leaving forever
3. Carli did nothing wrong

Any screencaps like katie loves books of the other youtubers?

There's one for Carli, but it's not very good.

Just for a quick run-down for autism's sake:
>Carli was a quiet eighteen-year-old who read classic literature and was Catholic. This caused Veeky Forums to blow their collective loads. Thus began cuteposting, asking her to post feet, telling her to read Hegel and Stirner, and other such memes. From what I can tell, Carli deleted the most vulgar comments, but otherwise things went well. Then Veeky Forums found her mum's YouTube account, and immediately petitioned her mum to post pics of Carli's feet. Equally immediately, Carli's YouTube channel was shut down.
>Seraphina was a retard Englishwoman with a horrible voice. She was, admittedly, thicc. People posted dumb comments on like one of her videos but that was enough for her to post an angry rant and then shut down. Good riddance.
>Ontologicool was a legitimately patrician and also pretty pretentious university graduate (?) who got the standard run of post feet, read Stirner, &c. But she was also linked to Veeky Forums threads discussing her, and these contained greater degeneracy still. She posted an angry if level-headed reply, and hasn't posted anything since.
youtube.com/watch?v=3gIFqBdRsvE

I remember the first act being described as tedious and utterly banal, to the point that some people manged to save themselves unwittingly because they got too bored and put it down.

Perhaps we should not judge the book by its cover.
But this book has no cover.

Um, nothing? Unless you're talking about his inheritor, but that dude is dead.

No, sneering at anyone who would debase themselves so as to read "genre fiction" is pretentious. Also, using the term "genre fiction" is an almost unfailing indicator of pretensions of superiority, as is using the word "kino."

Why are you here and not on /qst/, then?

[ ] Mask
[X] No mask? No mask!

Yep, so utterly banal that the impact of the second act hits all the harder.

This is true from what I remember, but also note the man who tried to toss it into a fire place only for it to open to a new page and thus compelling him to read it. If it wants you to read it you will, otherwise you might not.

That's not pretentious. Pretentious means pretending to be smart, sophisticated, patrician &c. There's no pretence in sneering at genre fiction UNLESS you actually do like genre fiction.

Speaking for myself, I don't like genre fiction. It just seems much worse than literature. Please bear in mind that "science fiction/fantasy" is not the same thing as "genre fiction". Something like Eragon is genre fiction, something like Earthsea is not.

>There's no pretence in sneering at genre fiction
>i'm better than someone else because the fiction i like is better than the fiction he likes
Yeah nah you're a cunt, earthsea is an excellent trilogy but don't pretend that its anything other than fiction with the genre:fantasy. It's flatly better than eragon, but its still genre fantasy. And theres nothing wrong with reading either of them you pretentious twat

>anything other than fiction with the genre:fantasy
that's not what genre fiction means you retard

don't go getting insulted because you think your fav books are looked down on when you're just misunderstanding the words used

do you think anyone's shitting on Chesterton for writing mystery novels? Or what about Spenser, for daring to write in the Chivalric Romance genre?

genre fiction is fiction which relies on the tropes of its genre to produce diverting but empty farts. It doesn't do anything of its own.

retard

there was meant to be a colon in but its still genre:fantasy, i just realised that that does indeed make me look like an idiot.

The point still stands though. Gormenghast is 'literature' but its a fucking slog, whereas for example the Night Watch is genre fiction but genuinely excellent. Saying something like discworld is trash because it's genre fiction is idiotic, and sneering at all genre fiction on principle is pretentious shittery.

Same here.

>I think Gormenghast's a slog so everyone must do! Anyone who disagrees with me is a pretentious snob!
Git gud.

I'm not saying anything is trash because it's genre fiction. It's more like I'm saying it's genre fiction because it's trash.

>heres genre fiction thats flatly good and is well regarded
>heres genre:fiction that has some great prose but is so awfully structured that it's a slog to get through, which is widely regarded as a flaw
>lololol gitgud scrub you like trash :^)
I can greentext strawmen too, and you're still a pretentious twat

I think you need to just stop being a pleb tbqhwyf.

Now fuck

A patrician? Consorting with plebs? How scandalous! I shall begin at once.

>Gormenghast is 'literature' but its a fucking slog
Veeky Forums seems to have a sort of... um, "I hate words" contingent that doesn't like anything long or "overdescriptive." And that's fine! It's okay if you Don't Like Thing! Read things you do like!

But these people attack the stuff they don't like in brutal, bizarrely hyperbolic terms, and that weirds me out. I mean, I wish you didn't think the Gormenghast trilogy was "a fucking slog", because I enjoyed it and I have a sort of general hope that other people would enjoy it as well, but I'm not going to call you "a retarded illiterate plebeian" over it.

>It's more like I'm saying it's genre fiction because it's trash.
This is a stupid double standard. If it's a mystery and you like it, it's literature; if it's a mystery and you don't like it, it's "genre fiction." Just substitute "trash" for "genre fiction"— or, better yet, acknowledge that tastes are subjective and don't make such stark pronouncements about the intrinsic, objectively identifiable Goodness or Badness of fictional works.

>It's okay if you Don't Like Thing!
That wasn't me bashing it, that was me saying 'heres an example of 'Thing' that has flaws'. I did like it, Peake's prose is just equal parts amazing and brain-bashing, not to mention the structure of paragraphs sometimes went on for much too long and curled off onto tangents that had you wonder whether you flipped one page or two. It just required me to slowly read through, reread, take breaks, etc in a way i hadn't experienced since my uncle bought me Fathers and Sons when i was nine. A bushwalk in the mountains is a fucking slog, doesnt mean its not enjoyable, also doesnt mean i'm going to tell someone on crutches he has shit taste for not enjoying being dragged along.

Stats: Didn't read, valued life/sanity too much. Sold at flea market.

>brutal, bizarrely hyperbolic terms
You're on Veeky Forums, what do you expect?