/bgg/ Board Games General No Anime Edition

Previous Thread: Gaming Resources:

The Map: zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#

pastebin.com/aWmbgN7K (embed)
>Hey bgg, sit down and talk me about your m-gaming group. How many people? Where? When?

Whats wrong with that womans face

>>Hey bgg, sit down and talk me about your m-gaming group. How many people? Where? When?
From 15 to 20 people. Pub with beers, precels and french fries. Once a week for 5 hours.
So far pretty cool but there are only 2 guys bringing most of the games, usually around 15-20 titles to chose.

She works retail.

>Hey bgg, sit down and talk me about your m-gaming group. How many people? Where? When?
>Group
I have two stable groups, Nerd group and Baker group. Both are only five people usually.
>Where
Usually my place or like in a summerhouse.
>When
I had a Sunday meetup with the nerds last winter and we are probably going to pick that up when one of us get's gloomhaven. The baker group meets up couple of times a year and casually plays casual games.

What are your thoughts on ties? Are they ok to have or an abomination?

What about tie breakers? Would you rather have a silly one like arboretum or one that depends on you having more of something?

I'd prefer a decisive resolution if possible. I'd also prefer it if the tiebreaker has something to do with good gameplay, rather than rewarding you for doing well despite playing badly.

There's enough systematic chaos in board games that even a difference of a small handful of points doesn't mean much. So if close scores are meaningless, breaking it down even further with an arbitrary tie-breaker is even more meaningless (non-arbitrary tie breakers, such as "gold is turned in 5 to 1 for points, tie breaker is most unscored gold, therefore gold is effectively worth 1/5th of a point" are good, but not because they're tiebreakers but because getting to exact multiples of stuff is annoying).

For example, if I score $1000 and you score $990, can we really say I played better than you? The score could easily have been effected by other players (accidental kingmaking) or chance elements (in games that have them). Even in games without chance, there are times when a player will make moves more or less randomly. For example, take two moves that look equally good on the surface but one of them, 100 moves down the line, will set me up for $10 more. If I happen to pick that move it doesn't show any skill on my part. I "got lucky" even though the game has no chance elements.

Kinda boring but if they happen in games where you score a lot of points and its something that happens rarely its fine. Tiebreakers can be fine if they make sense, like resources that could easily have brought the player the victory next round, but some other mechanics are rather lame.

Checks out. It's the white person smile with just slightly more faked enthusiasm.

what is the most crucial expansion/s for eldritch horror? If you had to choose max two.

I would buy Arkham Horror. It's Eldritch Horror but with way more interesting shit going on.

So whats everyones thoughts on recent The Edge: Dawnfall gameplay video?

I would buy Eldritch Horror if you like board games or Arkham Horror LCG if you like LCGs with some story-based and character-driven elements. I wouldn't buy Arkham Horror board game since either EH or AHLCG does a specific facet of the original board game better while both simultaneously cut down on the overly fiddly nature of it as a story-telling device. And if
really wants both they can comfortably coexist within the same collection.

As for EH expansions, Forbidden Lore is honestly mandatory, and I'd get Strange Remnants next for the sweet Focus action (which you should houserule into the game regardless).

Me and 1 roommate and 2 other people are almost through pandemic legacy. We usually play at their place. We try to meet at least once a week when available and play through 2 sessions. Typically it's been Thursdays and Sundays.

Me and both my roommates + whoever we can get to come over have been playing kemet almost every day, sometimes twice. Sometimes we wind down with sheriff of Nottingham/dixit or something else light and fun. Yesterday we played kemet, sheriff, kemet. We all agreed we would use the priest module of ta - seti next time we play. We've been using every other module and c3k until now.
Kemet rules btw. Easily tied with pandemic legacy for my favorite game ever. They're such different beasts I don't think a fair comparison is possible.

Me and one other friend meet weekly at his place, usually Fridays, (he also comes over sometimes for kemet/whatever), but at his place we tend to play 2 player games. Sometimes he can get people over and sometimes his roommate joins. The next time all 3 of us play together it will be merchants and marauders, my first time but not theirs. last time we played power grid. Not sure what will be this Friday.

Am I spoiled because I play games almost every day?

Eldritch Horror is literally baby's first Arkham Horror. All of the challenge and thematic immersion is ripped out so casuals have a co op Lovecraft game they can play. "Fiddly" is a word casuals use when they can't understand why complex mechanics would be included in a game. Notice how no one on earth calls COIN games fiddly even though there is a ton of shuffling shit around? It's because people who want to play quality, in-depth games don't mind having to think and move their hands during upkeep phases. No reason to get expansions for EH. If you feel you want more, just buy the adult version.

Maybe you are, but I play games every day with my SO and/or friends so I guess I would be too. People online just like to bitch so when I hear sob stories about how they never get to play I assume either their personality sucks and no one will play with them or they're just too stupid/proud to get some co op games/games that can be played solo.

Thats actually interesting. I have a group of friends that I try to insert into /board games/. In this group there is 1 hikimori, 1 guy that thinks he is some sort of mastermind, and one quite normal guy like me. To insert them into /bg/, i started with turn based vidya (as they all love vidya games), like HoMM, Age of Wonders, or Space empires Last one failed, they cant recognise that even if you do your 'turn' later than other player, in timeline its stil the same turn
So, I'm trying to play with them, but from the 4 of us incuding me, 2 doesn't give a fuck, and a 4th one I think plays only so I won't get sad. With really triggers me, as they wanted me to became DM for 'something like DnD, but you will make something better' I can't, sure i have documments that im aspie but dont excpect too much from me

Ok man, we get it you got sour when they released the new, upgraded game after you collected everything for the part one.
It doesn't mean you have to lure other guys to it.

>fiddly = bad
>shilling AHLCG simply because Lovecraft was mentioned
>calling an expansion mandatory
ok, you had your fun and got a (You), now back to red.dit please

>implying

You could try Arkham Horror LCG (I'm not that other guy who brought it up for some random faggy reason, I swear). It's got hardcore story telling elements and is not a hard game to understand. Plus it's co-op just like DnD with lvling up and everything and the difficulty can be adjusted if they really want to experience the story and make decisions but would be discouraged by failure.

Only downside is you need two core sets for four players, but it's not too expensive if you avoid Amazon depending on where you live.

Fiddly is a word that means "adds complexity without adding a corresponding level of depth."

Sounds interesting. But another problem is: They never come in full group, 'hiki' and 'mastermind' are brothers that hates themselves, and also both are lazy as fuck, so most of time i spend with 'quite normal guy' alone. I was wondering about 7 wonders, or 7 wonders: duels. could anyone here compare them to me? like, if normal version is still playable for 3 players, or duels would be better anyway?

That's exactly why I said
>people who want to play quality, in-depth games don't mind having to think and move their hands during upkeep phases
Read entire posts before you respond next time, user. Or are you just waiting for the easier version of my post to be released?

How about you tell us some games you already have and we'll let you know what might work. If you're just looking for games that are good with 2+ you can always go with a fun co-op game because they can generally be played with any player count and usually are pretty thematic, which sounds like what your friends want.

>the adult version
>Purposefully playing a game with worse mechanics because 'it's the adult version'

That's the equivalent of a baby boomer telling you that you should suffer because it 'builds character'.

>worse mechanics
>using millenial blog-tier analogy
What it comes down to is this: AH is a richer experience. The only reason someone would want the lesser experience (EH) is that they play more casually (which is fine, to each their own) or they aren't smart enough to figure out the complexities of the superior product (which is also fine, everyone has different talents).

If the game is too hard for you or your friends that's fine, but don't assume it's too hard for everyone else as well. Some people like deep, thematic experiences and are wiling and able to enjoy them.

here

I'd like to preface by saying that Arkham Horror got me into modern board games, and at the time that I played it, it represented everything I wanted in an evening's board gaming experience. And I would still sit down and play it if someone asked. But I feel as if a lot of denial about Arkham Horror having unintuitive mechanisms compared to its successors is due to a sunk cost fallacy on the part of its fans, that cost either being experiences playing it or even money costs from the game and expansions, which I can wholly empathize with.

I wouldn't say Arkham Horror has "bad" mechanisms so much as they're muddied, with a focus more on story-telling flavor and less focus on how much it adds to the game in terms of it affecting a player's decision-making and input on the board state during their turn. There's a disproportionate amount of bookkeeping required to player agency gained, if that makes sense, and that can tend to make a game feel fiddly. Fiddly isn't simply a word meaning "more components", but rather meaning the rules are more in service to something besides the gameplay itself.

Not that Eldritch Horror has broken away from all of those problems, but its streamlined approach to many of the more... "fiddly" aspects of Arkham Horror makes EH feel more distilled. I feel that this is most evident when adding expansions to each. Eldritch Horror feels like it becomes augmented with each expansion, while Arkham Horror becomes bogged down with them.

As to the difficulty, there's a difference between difficult to play and difficult to win. While EH is more streamlined, it is not, as a result, easier to beat, and is still quite difficult.

The best criticism I've seen is that Eldritch Horror feels less personal leading many to prefer Arkham for a "better experience", which I agree with. However, I feel as if the LCG provides that personal aspect, and due to how well it plays would recommend that for those missing out on that experience instead.

No, I read it. Did you read mine? It's only a sentence, and it should be patently obvious that I'm saying Arkham is considered fiddly because those complex mechanics you're talking about don't actually add the depth warranted by their complexity. Not, as you're asserting, because normies can't complexity.

Dumb Aku Aku poster.

I've got co-op games that I play solo but being in graduate school you don't really have time to go out and make friends or find people who enjoy board games like you do. On top of that, aside from the "small college town" I'm in, if you want to do anything you have to drive an hour away (which is where the nearest LGS is)

>being this triggered by Aku Aku
>repeating yourself
Sorry that you have nothing new to say user. Good talking to ya, enjoy playing your simple games with your simple friends.

>don't actually add depth
They make the game more thematic. There is more variety in cards and monsters. You have to actually learn things about the situation (collect clues) before you are able to profitably affect the outcome of the game (close gates). There isn't that retarded "buy whatever you want" market. Monsters are actually tough and the flow of combat makes sense in a Lovecraft-themed world (try to avoid, then try to comprehend what you're seeing, then resort to fighting because you have to).

Why would you play either game if not for thematic value? Surely you do not consider either game an exercise in strategy? The only reason I can imagine you don't understand this is that you know nothing about the source material, which is fine but it makes me wonder why you didn't just buy a mechanically superior game.

>in grad school you don't have time to make friends
This is objectively untrue. Learn to budget your time. If you think grad school takes time, wait until you start working. You will be much happier in life if you learn to make time for your mental well-being sooner rather than later.

>have to drive a hour away to do anything
If you can't find anything to do in a college town you must be very boring or a mormon.

so basically
>AH is thematic as hell, but very complicated to play because of it
>EH is watered down thematically, but still irritating as far as gameplay goes
>AHLCG gives the best story
Right, so why would anyone want a less thematic Lovecraft game? What niche does EH fill other than for people who can't/don't want to learn AH?

Of course AHLCG is the best Lovecraft game thematically (and probably overall), but it's so different from the other two there really is no reason to bring it up.

>don't really have time to go out and make friends or find people
>what is the internet
>what is the bulletin board every college has
>what is talking to people on campus
o ya this is Veeky Forums where socially retarded is par for the course, my fault assuming you're a functional human

Kind of a simplification of the points I've made. Really, distilled != watered down and EH does have some problems but they are nothing close to irritating, just small nitpicks.

It more comes down to the basis of the ratio of gameplay to theme is skewed heavily towards theme in Arkham, while it's skewed the other way for Eldritch. Both offer heavy theme, both offer engaging gameplay, but in different ratios, and I find the ratio designed in Arkham makes gameplay more cumbersome to its detriment, while Eldritch has a much more refined ratio. The fat was trimmed.

So AH isn't just a Batman reskin of EH?

Excuse me, what?
Arkham is a lovecraft thing. Batman didn't create it.

Makes sense I guess. EH is honestly boring to me after playing AH, it feels like Pandemic+ as opposed to AH lite

I bought tragedy looper cause I like the one against many aspect to it.
I brought it to my gaming group and nobody but me could get the hang of the rules.
Are there any one vs many games that /bgg/ recommends that morons can comprehend?

As if. Lovecraft was notorious for stealing most of his ideas. Ever since Harry Houdini wrote "Under the Pyramids" for a pulp magazine, Lovecraft stole the mythos from that story and expanded upon them. Houdini died before he could sue.

Lovecraft stole the name Arkham from Stan Lee's Batman, and stole the appearance of Cthulhu from the one and only painting created by Ayn Rand- a fellow author and, for years, his lover.

Honestly, most of them are quite simple. Tragedy Looper is more of a mental exercise than a game and, although it is really fun if you can understand it, it really is not for everyone.

Check out Descent, Conan, Level 7: Omega Protocol, Imperial Assault, etc. for more 1vAll. Most I'm aware of are dungeon crawlers, so apologies if that's not your thing.

Also, rumor has it that the upcoming expansion for Kemet turns the game into a 1 v All.

No, I love dungeon crawlers. Thanks for the suggestions

Pretty much every game of kemet I play is 1 v all because I always win and everybody just tries to stop me

lol. well maybe with expac they'll actually have the tools to stop you

There's another expansion for Kemet coming?

>Hey bgg, sit down and talk me about your m-gaming group.
*sits down, pulls over keyboard*

>How many people?

>Where?
A Library

>When?
Erry Monday night and an occasional all day Saturday

Ties don't bother me but games like Cosmic Encounter where the crabs in the bucket will keep you from winning because they're rather share 1/4 of a victory than a full loss piss me off. It's almost worse than co-op. Almost.

why are those d20s blank

I am literally triggered

NEET lyfe

Week 2 of waiting for my masmorra to arrive.
Got it on ebay with all the kickstarter rewards for giggles.
I've seen a few videos of it played and it looks fun
Anyone here play it? Good sides and bad sides to it?

>Got it on ebay
are you sure though

I have a tracking number, so... hopefully?

ya, matagot posted a pic of one of the new creatures on their insta/twitter a few months ago

Let me know how you like it when you get it, looks like a lot of fun but idk if I want to buy it without playing/hearing someone who's not a shill talk about it. Gameplay videos have me so/so on it.

do those... do those dice have sticker faces?

There was a time where I would have bought this instantly, but since then I have developed a true hatred for dice and so I will be passing. If you don't mind/want a dice chucker I think it's solid.

I've said all this without remembering the price, so that has not factored into my post at all.

I hope they're not stickers. The dice are monsters in this game so you roll to spawn one. But if they're stickers that will suck

Specter Ops

>saved 1/3 of my budget at Gencon because most deals weren't good enough to get me to buy
>BGG has 3 new auctions daily "I have to sell games to pay off the new stuff I bought"
>games on my buy list at 1/4-1/3 MSRP
Got to love those impulse shoppers

whoa, most of the games I want are gone already but ill keep checking, thanks for the tip user

I generally find older games that I haven't picked up yet, but people impulse buy, get home and the bills start coming due in Sept/Oct. Perfect time to snag games cheap. I'm kicking myself for getting a copy of 1st & Goal a couple weeks back, someone's got one up for $10 start bid with 3-5 expansions in the box. Then again I likely won't play if often enough to NEED the expansions and I did only pay $12, this one will no doubt end up multiple bidders

any dungeon dice roller that you recommend for me to play with my family. We have enjoyed very much 7 wonders. I would like something with simple rules yet difficult to master.
Also post which is your favorite game to play with your family or friends

Reminds me of her

You know what? Fuck you for reminding me about that video. Nice dubs though.

>still getting triggered over something so irrelevant
wew
e
w

Can anyone explain to my why reddit creams so hard over concordia? I just don't get the appeal.

clank!
also clank!

out of:
Carl Chudyk's Innovation
Castle of Burgundy the card game
Summoner Wars

which should I pick for a 2 player game tomorrow?

I know bgg doesn't give a fuck about SJWs, and rightfully so, and thankfully few fucks about boardgaming celebrities. But holy shit I just have to say I can not take SU&SDs editorials any more. I might still watch their videos occasionally, but between Matt, the off-writers, and the constant pandering, no amount of quality writing can make me read them regularly.

Anyways, is Not Alone a quality purchase? I heard you can find it at B&N now.

I don't understand how anyone can actually listen to those people. Even if they didn't have the retarded political shit going on, all they do is bitch if a game doesn't have enough theme and isn't called Concordia. Every even mildly abstract game they review gets compared to that fucking game and called worse.

You can clearly see that they're stickers.

I only saw that in Mombasa, and honestly I can see it being a fiddlier Concordia.

Yeah SUSD are fucking "burn alive and then hit with a car" tier. Since they live in Londonistan I keep hoping one of the blacks or browns they keep taking in their arse will off them, but alas.

They aren't even on straight, but I didn't want to ruin his day by pointing it out.

I haven't read their editorials, do you mind giving a few examples of what makes them so bad?

I used to watch their videos but gave up because they boil down to them making dumb jokes, playing with the components in a way that's funny because it's so off the wall, glossing over how to play the game, and just talking about how fun/unfun a game is before calling it a day

Then you haven't seen many reviews of abstract games done by SUSD. Claiming every one is compared to Concordia is a stretch but they do it way more often than warranted. And they refuse to positively review anything without theme. If they say positive things about it, it is guaranteed they still recommend some highly thematic game as a "better" alternative.

They're the kind of faggots who refuse to condone playing a game unless it lets them escape the real world and doesn't remind them how bad they are at critical thinking.

Their editorials are exactly the same without the playing with components. Yes, they try to have a "witty banter dialogue" even when they put their reviews in a written format.

Didn't they say good things about Food Manager or whatever that one is?

Do people truly find AH to be complex at all? Shit made perfect sense after like one run for my group.

thinking of picking up cultists of cthulhu, what's it like?

Are you trying to imply that Food Chain Magnate doesn't have theme?

Ya, people who have no business playing complex games whine that it's hard then run around the internet telling everyone that EH is a quality game despite the fact that it is barely harder than Pandemic and comes with so little content that it becomes uninteresting after one play if you don't give FFG more money for expansions.

And thus, the cycle of board games becoming more casual and companies spewing out half-completed games they plan to complete later through expansions continues. This entire process will sound horrifyingly familiar to anyone above the age of 18 who grew up playing video games.

SU&SD is literal sjw trash, pinnacle of bad taste and shitty jokes. Its worse than rahdo.

Boardgames are nothing at all like vidya, my child.

For example, it's the "casual" boardgames that come with lots of content. In boardgaming, the less content, the more hardcore the game. (Just try to prove me wrong; you can't.)

It boils down to the fact that vidya, books, music, etc., are all passive consumption hobbies. Boardgaming is an active creative hobby like sports or crafting. In active hobbies the truly hardcore create something out of nothing instead of relying on prepackaged stuff they buy in a store.

Kingdom Death is extremely hardcore, and Love Letter is extremely casual.

>vidya, books, music, etc., are all passive consumption hobbies
No, it's just that the people into these hobbies are less likely to try their hand at them.
Except music, anyone who truly follows music probably knows an instrument or two.

I think /bgg/ reached entirely new and unexplored levles of autism. Stay safe my my friends.

>Kingdom Death is extremely hardcore, and Love Letter is extremely casual.
No, they're both about equally casual. There is absolutely nothing hardcore about Kingdom Death. (Except the price, I guess.)

>No, it's just that the people into these hobbies are less likely to try their hand at them.
>Except music, anyone who truly follows music probably knows an instrument or two.
Nah, listening to music and playing an instrument are absolutely different hobbies. E.g., the average fan of whatever musical genre is hip at the moment never listens to classical music; at the same time, I can hardly imagine a musician who isn't interested at least a little bit in classical and jazz. Same with vidya. (As a rule, game developers don't even play video games at all; this is actually a big problem in the industry.)

I'd say kingdom death is at a medium. Also it's more of a mini game in my onion.

Archipelago and Twilight Imperium is what I'd call heavy.

>For example, it's the "casual" boardgames that come with lots of content. In boardgaming, the less content, the more hardcore the game.
You're mostly correct here, but that's literally the same in vidya. 'Hardcore' gamers like stuff like Quake 3 or Starcraft that have barely any ribbons and is all core gameplay. Casuals like Skyrim because it looks decently and throws tons of useless mini-features at you, even though the gameplay is mind-numbingly stupid.

>second point
I'm not talking about metalheads or b-boys or whatever, I'm talking actual music fans. Like in board games, if a guy only plays Catan or only plays Cerebus engine DBG's (I do know that guy) he can't really be put in the "board gamer" category, imo.
>first point
After thinking about it I think "coredness" in BG could probably be defined as the product of the length and the depth of a single instance of that game, and KD:M is extremely hardcore in that frame.

>could probably be defined as the product of the length and the depth of a single instance of that game
Nah, by that definition that card game 'War' (or even good old Risk) is hardcore, because it's infinitely long.

>Archipelago
>Heavy

Nah, it's pretty average. The only reason it may appear that way is because you have to spend hours beating faggots into submission, I will haggle every last franc over EVERYTHING because if you haven't suffered brain herniation by the end, you're doing it WRONG.

It is. It's basically Hide and Seek: The Board Game, with hand management deciding where you can hide. That's it. But it's clever enough to really work, especially in a party situation.

This isn't true at all. Some of the best reviews they've ever done are on games with basically no theme/no theme you'll actually be noticing, such as HMS Dolores, Mafia de Cuba, etc. Theme doesn't at all seem to relate to how much they like it.

If you mean actual fucking abstracts like YINSH, fuck off with your abstracts desu, nobody wants to review those except occasionally Tom Vasel, what do you expect.

>bgg doesn't give a fuck about SJW
You haven't read the thread on the New Angeles forum about the use of 'he' in the rules, then?

I stopped watching after the Imperial 2030 (or something like that) review after rewatching it two times to 'get' how you play the game and failing each time. The only thing I got out of it is that it's a war-economy game.

>length and depth

>WELL I ONLY HEARD LENGTH SO THAT'S WHAT I'M GOING WITH

i secretly like watching board game playthough especially multiplayer ones that don't take 40 minutes to even explain the rules.

do you have any let's play to suggest me?

pls no bully, i have no friend to play with irl