I've become increasingly aware that racism against elves in fantasy settings is a growing thing

I've become increasingly aware that racism against elves in fantasy settings is a growing thing.

I don't get it. Why? I wouldn't mind, but it almost seems to have become some sort of meme solely perpetuated by edgy teenagers.

Other urls found in this thread:

scientificamerican.com/article/homophobes-might-be-hidden-homosexuals/
psychologytoday.com/blog/gay-and-lesbian-well-being/201307/are-homophobes-really-gay
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Well when you take into account that elves tend to be written as pompous assholes in literature surrounding them and most lore then you can see how most people tend to dislike even good elves, therefore perpetuating the racism.

I forgot to add that they literally treat some of their own blood, orcs specifically, as if they are the shittiest subraces on the plane.

Humans are also depict as asshole. So are dwarves.

They're humans 2.0. There's nothing interesting about them.

>how most people tend to dislike even good elves
I want statistics, because I don't think this is actually happening.

Maybe it's just an attempt at "grittiness" and making "believable" worlds, which often means making things unreasonably dark. Elves are the perfect target for that.

>solely perpetuated by edgy teenagers
That too.

True but the elves give off this specific aura of douchebag by acting as if they are the PERFECT asshole.

> Sympathizing with honorless, oathbreaking, cloudsucking, unicorn riding, fingerwaggling fops.

Urist...

Get the grudgethrower

So people have an inferiority complex about a race that doesn't exist.

You know how people hate people that think they're better than them?

Now imagine if those people were actually better than them.

Yes, exactly. It's shitty but I get why people do it.

>honorless, oathbreaking, cloudsucking, unicorn riding, fingerwaggling fops
No idea what race or setting you are talking about.

I'm almost certain the stats will wave in your favor but you know theres a minority that is very vocal about hating elves, otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I'll be that guy and say that it's millennial game designers being ashamed of themselves for being privileged white males so they make the humans in their settings racist against universally superior native races for no reason because Man is the real monster and we should feel bad because the indigenous Elf population was kangz.

Feigning ignorance won't help you lad.

Knife ears and those who like then get free rides in the whirlygig

Yes, I'm aware of them and unfortunately I'm able to spot them easily after all these years. It's not unreasonable to assume that they are not many, with some casual shitposters that actually don't have any opinion either way just jumping on the bandwagon.

One day I will channel the power of the vocal minorty and go full-on elf supremacy on this board, it might backfire though.

Since before Tolkien, elves have been portrayed as perfect Mary Sues. Even the vikings sometimes used the term "elf" to refer to an expert in something. They are also frequently portrayed as emotionally fragile and unable to bear with ways of life that are not their own. For these reasons, it feels good to take the piss out of them.

If anything, the elves are the whitemales
>had an empire in the past
>invented the magic the other races are using
>got outbred
>some weird philosophical shit about their time is over

elves are awful because of people like you, user.

Elf-centric settings and mary sues got shoved down our throats so hard that there was bound to be a backlash

Also it's kind of fun to joke about

> it almost seems to have become some sort of meme solely perpetuated by edgy teenagers.

Care to name these settings?

>I've become increasingly aware that racism against elves in fantasy settings is a growing thing.
It is not, besides your attempt to portray it as so.

>growing
Angry about elves meme is old. Like really old. Older than most Veeky Forums posters I imagine.

>One day I will channel the power of the vocal minorty and go full-on elf supremacy on this board, it might backfire though.
>It might backfire though.
>Might
There's no might about it dipshit, most people ignore elf-haters as nothing but memeing shitposters. Attempting to "combat" them will do nothing but make people start to hate elf posters unironicly. For fuck sake it's almost like people don't pay attention to the way a lot of these boards work.

Elves suck because they always have to be LE PERFECT RACE THATS AMAZING AT EVERYTHING but then they always go and do the dumbest fucking shit that contradicts everything that they are supposed to be about, but still act like they are the shit.

I first really started to see it in 2e times. The Complete Book of Elves was called The Book if doing Everything Better than Everyone Else in my local store. People got sick of Elves getting speed of mechanical and fluff benefits for everything...

the worst (somewhat mainstream) elves I've come across is seriously drow.
Their lore is so stupid it's almost aggravating. I don't really have anything against their aesthetics (white hair/obsidian skin is actually pretty nice) but almost everything surrounding that is so bad.
Thankfully TRPGs are free enough that you can make your own version of elves so your not locked into doing specifically what the developers intended.

How dare you?! Have you no courage?! No honor?! No beer?! I'll shove my boot so far up your perfect little ass you'll be able to taste shoe polish! I'll graft a pair of runic balls to ya just so you have a pair to kick! I'll lash you with my beard

This is some high-level cringe. I daresay this guy is authentic, which makes this some 100% top-grade cringe.

Yeah, but just like they're better at everything else, Elves are better at being assholes.

1. Some people have an overwhelming need to invert all tropes, because they don't know how to be creative in any other way. In fantasy fiction this often involves messing around with elves.

2. Veeky Forums stuff has a lot of autistic types who find the ideas elves represent offensive. They reeeee at things like art and philosophy because they don't understand them, and they hate anything to do with nature. They don't have the ability for introspection and hate the idea of something being wiser than humans (and therefore them).

3. Veeky Forums has a lot of ugly people who can't relate to pretty people. They relate to dwarves, though, and because of this they eventually take on the dwarven hatred for elves and make it their own, despite both parties being fictional.

see this user's post

>I bet you're one of the DMs that doesn't even bother with accents

40k, they birth a literal god and ruin the universe because of their stupidity, and then have the audacity to act like they always know best when it always results in them fucking things up for everyone and then running away saying how superior they are

>inb4 Eldar not Elves

You kow why Elves have knife ears? So they always have something to stab you in the back with.

Humans are almost always depicted as being the lesser of all evils

Role one and make him/her interesting.

40k is imperium and chaoswank and always has been, furthermore the 40kids who shill it the hardest, even in unrelated boards (and other forums) are imperialfags.

Eldar are not elves. It's impossible to have elves in a sci-fi setting anyway, since they're a fantasy trope. Best you can do is analogues like 40k.

Humans are ignorant assholes, Dwarfs are rude and stubborn assholes, Elves are arrogant assholes.

Arrogant assholes are assholes to everyone through.

>It's impossible to have elves in a sci-fi setting anyway, since they're a fantasy trope.

Sci-fantasy is a thing. Shadowrun is scifi with Elves and magic.

Most of the work of Isaac Asimov is scifi fantasy. Its machines that do magic in most cases and uses fantasy ideas.

They're typically snooty,mentally cold to other races but will die for a deer. Crazy colored hair and radical opinions about the world that are hardly tangible. Oh fuck I'm describing a femicuck

Literal detachable knives for ears sounds kind of cool though.

That doesn't make sense though, elves are typically depicted as favoring bows, and living in forests. Deer would probably be a staple of their diets.

What did you just say to me you little shit?! I'll have you know I am a veteran of Bugmans rangers and have over 1000 confirmed greenskin kills! I have been trained in the use of over 50 tradition approved weapons and have buddies in the Zhufbar air corp. We will shit fire down you neck you traitorous pheinox fucker. You're dead kiddo.

IT'S BECAUSE ELVES ARE PARTICULARLY GREAT AT EVERYTHING NERDS SUCK AT BUT WISH THEY DIDN'T SUCK AT. WE DON'T MIND BEING OUTSIDERS, BUT WE'RE ALSO AWKWARD, OBNOXIOUS, UNHYGIENIC, UNEMPATHETIC FUCKS WHO SUCK AT ARTISTIC PURSUITS, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY AREN'T WRITTEN.

G R U D G E

R

U

D

G

E

war when?

Vegan elves barely happen. Anyone that brings them up probably knows elves only from a certain bad book series, the unfortunate soul.

They tend to get angry if you stick pointy implements into their tree waifus though.

I started hating them in 2ed.
Weapon restrictions were rough, and made you think about how you wanted your character armed, least you face big negs.
Then there were elves.....
Elves got to use longbow and longsword regardless of class restrictions. Plus long lives, plus infravision, plus immunity to sleep, plus that sweet dex boon.

But at least humans didn't have a class level limit like elves.

Too many players took elf for obvious benefits...and constantly would say shit like " since I'm an elf, I wouldn't stay in this stinky in" and " I'm an elf, the unicorn/fey would love me!!". Bullshit like that.

Then lots of books (Salvatore, LotR, etc), would portray elves as haughty and superior and selfish cunts.

Then it became"cool" to play a NotDritzz, and be an edgefag drow..

Elves suck. I hate them. There is a 99%chance in our games, that any big problem in the realms, is the fault of some fucking elf.
Rats invading a town? Elven druid behind it.
Lumberjack missing? Elves killed him.
Evil thief stealing mcgruff? It's an elf.

I'm teaching others to despise these treeniggers.

>I wouldn't mind, but it almost seems to have become some sort of meme solely perpetuated by edgy teenagers.
I mean, you kind of answered your own question there.

>There is a 99%chance in our games, that any big problem in the realms, is the fault of some fucking elf.
Currently, the PC's are mapping out a tunnel that leads to an island that legend says was the home of many elves.
They'll find many out of commission portals where the arrogant elves had tried to gate/portal in elven demigods to this plane, so they could take over the realms.
They'll find notes of how the elven mages tortured humans in their experiments.

Why? Because elves are shit.

True Elves are Feyfolk, their rules are contradictory and alien.

Civilized Elves tend to be like Greeks. Who were pricks to non-Greeks as you recall.

But user, Veeky Forums are the Elves.
Everyone hates us for it.

It's because elves are always at least a bit on the effeminite side and that preys on the insecurities of man babies.

Or, we just don't like faggots.

>Don't like something
>Ha! You must be that!

Inevitable destruction of the Mer is the only thing that can save Men from their insidious and nihilistic ways.

>Why?
Succes breeds jealousy

I would breed that elf, alright.

scientificamerican.com/article/homophobes-might-be-hidden-homosexuals/

psychologytoday.com/blog/gay-and-lesbian-well-being/201307/are-homophobes-really-gay

>I don't want to eat a sandwich made of feces
>Ha! That proves You must secretly want to eat a sandwich made of feces!!

So gay.

>Sticking burning twigs into my eye looks painful, and I'm not going to do it. Nor do I want to see others do it.
>Ha! He must really want to stick burning twigs into his eyes!!!

>getting this defensive
Look, it's okay if you wanna suck dick man, I don't judge.

Because people are becoming increasingly lazy. As such they are starting to rely entirely on memes even when creating content instead of actually thinking about stuff.

Cuz their QUEER

>muh detachable DICK

user, it's okay if you want to suck dick. Be comfortable with who you are.

>Dolce & Gabanna were openly homosexual but also opposed gay marriage
>Elton John called them homophobes
Welp, theory proven!

Probably this. At creation elves were pretty much better humans. The only thing a man with a dime hats is a keeb with a nickle.

>racism against elves in fantasy settings is a growing thing.
I don't really care, i think it's more of a meme than any emotional truth.
dwarves are fundamentally isolationists, an asshole is less of one when they really only want to be alone.
Furthermore they are depicted as being brash and abrasive as a product of living lives of labour generally speaking and likewise are known not to particularity like people who don't work as hard as they can.
The hurdle is gaining the esteem of them via merit, which one can do.
It's why i figure people can't really dislike them all that much.

With humans, it's hard to hate one's one species. I'd assume someone who did would be very fucked up.

What's the replication rate or whatever with that study my dude
I don't necessarily disagree with the premise that someone with an over preoccupation with a certain subject might have an unexplored attraction with such a thing.
I doubt the correlation is strong enough to indicate that ANY given person who expresses a dislike for homosexuality can be a closest homosexual

Humans are depict as racist asshole as op already stated.

I could go on to say it could be a bit of a class things
Elves are depicted as high class and most people have a general dislike for higher classes
Dwarves as a sort of educated working class and it's hard to disdain them, though they really don't have all that much of an existence anymore. It's like seeing an established carpenter or other skilled labourer.
and humans as he middle

Would you mind expounding on the Greek Elf thing. I'm kind of curious where you're getting that from.

Elves are usually arrogant and believe themselves as a more evolved race (even through they aren't), so it's natural that people don't like them.

>Humans are depict as racist asshole as op already stated.
no it doesn't.
Just that the OP is becoming more and more aware of how settings are becoming more and more racist.
If and where those settings are and the composition there in is never mentioned.
It is perfectly possible for no other Tolkien races to be present but elves
For instance Lowyn where elves are depicted as assholes can count towards that.
The Kithkin in Shadowmoor would also be and example of xenophobia against elves in setting but not contain humans

It's the logical conclusion of the past Sueification of elves by doe-eyed teenagers. What was cliche is now mocked furiously.
>Hey, my elven ranger is so pretty and kewl!
>She's the best archer in ever and a perfect pure vegan and all animals love her, mkay?
>Also she's the lover of Drizzt.
>Hey, give me back my character sheet!

Yes, but it used to be funny back then. Now I get the feeling some of the dumpsters are taking it seriously.

>I made elves shit so I could demonstrate how elves are shit

Depends on setting.

In LotR I'm pretty sure they were literally superior to humans in most ways.

People didn't like that so they made elves who weren't that superior but thought they were.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I never encountered anything like this even at the height of Drizztmania. Since I never really encountered elf-hate in my local gaming community I've had trouble wrapping my head around it on Veeky Forums.

Not him, but elves are usually pieces of shit.

>why do you cut trees?
>why not use magically grown wood as we do?
>sure friendly elf, give us a mean to obtain enough wood to fuel our cities and operations without cutting trees
>lolno

in the hobbit film they served a vegan dinner to the dwarves while playing flobby music.

The fact that people are still bringing up Drizzt should tell you how much people exaggerate this. Drizzt isn't the go-to Mary Sue anymore, for a long time now.

It's not a growing thing. It's been a thing since Tolkien, and come up sporadically ever since.

Surprisingly for Veeky Forums related setting, song of Swords isn't like that. Probably because Jimmy has an elf waifu. Or he just thought, "hey, what if, there were a gazillion elves, they were all objectively better than humans, and humans still lived among the elves?"

Sure, humans could be racist against elves, but it would be like black man being racist towards whites in 1800s.

no but it still sticks in people's craw
it's still a part pf the evolution of the people idea of elves.
Lotr's elves (in movie form) also did not help that and with it still in public consciousness you will get vegan tree hugging holier than thou elves because it is the pretty race

Depends on which strain of elves. Some random sylvan or sindar probably wasn't much different than a human who lives innawoods, but a noldor could punch you so hard you'd change gender three times before hitting the ground.

I made them true to their nature.

>Undeserving sense of superiority
>looks down on all things not fey
>Long lives spent molesting acorns and feeling good about it
>In favor of an alliance with humans if orcs threaten their forest...but if orcs invade a human city, it's their problem
>Their art is better, their food is better, their weapons are better, everything elven is just better
>Spend evenings dancing under the moon
>Scoff at a human party, call it barbaric

Elves are what you write them as, so if they're pieces of shit that's because you wrote them to be pieces of shit.

So rather than being angry at an extruded d&d race, we should rather determine why fantasy authors tend to write them as dipshits.

Because they're dipshits.

Elves suck.

>Elves are what you write them as, so if they're pieces of shit that's because you wrote them to be pieces of shit.

Yes, and that is their standard description.

You could technically make elves that aren't a piece of shit, but would they be 'true elves'? As in what a elf true is?

>You could technically make elves that aren't a piece of shit, but would they be 'true elves'?
Yeah, if that's what true elves are in your setting.

>Yes, and that is their standard description
Sorry, but I'm not seeing it in any source book.

Because elves tend to be written as "humans, but better in every aspect", and people hate marysues

True, but I referred to their rawest depiction.

See how elves act in story building (campaign) books.

>Elves are what you write them as, so if they're pieces of shit that's because you wrote them to be pieces of shit.
You could make a Balor just a misunderstood nice guy who looks different than you.
Or orcs that are artists and Craftsmen that never fight.
Or dwarves that like life on the open plains or on an island, and hate the underground
Or undead skeletons that are really good thinkers and scholars.
Or elves that weren't douchebags.

You could...it would be rather silly tho.

No user, you talked about their standard description. I want to see the word "shit" in one of their descriptions, because I'm not seeing it.

To be fair, the Craftworlders are literally the Eldar who told everyone else 'stop being so crazy and decadent' and then fucked off into the void.

So, um, yeah. They saw it coming and were right. If you predicted that your whole race would blow itself up if they didn't shape up, and then they DID, you'd probably be kinda stuck on that for a while too.