>Unearthed Arcana: Eladrin and Gith
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous thread: How do you store your dice?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/iglMj
twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/908122115991207937
twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/908124799636877312
drive.google.com/file/d/0BxGh_mU9ihaPbXMtclcwWTlsM1U/view.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I store my dice inside of a plastic bag because I couldn't afford a comfy felt bag

Why is D&D 5e's logo an ampersand? Was some intern doing his typey types on the keyboard and somehow hit & instead of 5?

Does Arcane Trickster need a focus to ignore a spell's material components?

Does anyone else get paid to DM? If so how much?

So why is ToA so shit?

God Damn it. All I want is a fully featured character generator for a reasonable price!

Yes, I know about the one on DMs Guild but it doesn't have all of the UA in it

>D&D
>D&
>&

I fucking wonder.

I have 5 mixed sets in a microfiber glasses bag, its got a draw string and all that so it works. I usually throw that bag at whoever forgot/doesnt have their own die yet and tell them to grab a set. I have a 2 matching sets that I keep in a small plastic chest I found at goodwill that I use for DMing

Why isn't there a dungeon in the logo then?

I use a crown royal bag and an old cookie tin.

I've got a handful of different bags for different styles of dice; using that promo green devil dice bag from Yawning Portal's release for any sets I get buy from WotC directly. I also have an Employee Manual for my Acquisitions Inc. dice.

The ampersand is a dungeon layout.

its a dungeon in the shape of a complex ampersand ouroboros

The dream

What's lame about the starting area in ToA?

ToA leak album
imgur.com/a/iglMj

I've thought of looking into it, but mentioning tends to elicit some less than pleasant reactions

How much are you paid?

This is a disgusting practice and I will not respect anyone who either pays for a DM or charges to be one.

I hope you're just trolling and aren't actually this retarded.

You better not be a huge autist.

Do you think anatomic combat's Called Shot feature needs tweaking? +5 to enemy AC for a guaranteed crit if it lands feels far too strong.

In ToA there is exactly one city, which means that 95% of all the Characters lore and interesting shit is concentrated into one spot. Apart from this been A DM's worst fucking nightmare in terms of trying to prep, your players will inevitably start getting bogged down with lore, trying to remember dozens on silly African names, and side quests very early on. And all this is before you ever see a single monster.

I don't know about disgusting, but it seems really unappealing to me. I can't really imagine a game where the DM wouldn't be there if he wasn't getting paid, but it sounds like shit

I have a old round plastic container that's used for gumballs. Over half way full now

Do you let Sorcerers use the Wizard spell list instead? I have heard of people doing this.

My bad, I didnt mean to imply wages, I was more thinking about starting up costs. My players cover the price of two books whenever we start something new and I was wondering if this was a standard practice.

Maybe it's just because I've only ever played with friends, so I see this as someone suddenly turning to their friends and saying "hey! Give me money to hang out with you guys!"

Usually players buy their own books. Why should they buy yours for you?

twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/908122115991207937

A one time payment for a DnD book doesn't really seem like something worth passing around the collection tray for. Just make them pay for pizza a couple times or whatever

Oh, gotcha

Me and my friends I used to play Pathfinder with would often buy adventure modules for each other to DM, so I'd imagine it's not an abnormal practice

Do you play with friends?

I dont really see why you would need me to explain this to you, but if you pay a fifth of a books cost you're the one who gets to enjoy playing it, not your DM who is also investing shitloads more time into your enjoyment than you are.

Always. There is absolutely no reason to keep them separate except for shitty "flavor". The Sorcerer getting Wizard spells doesn't make them overpowered, they're still worse than Wizards in almost every situation that's not pure blasting.

Reposting from old thread:

RAW, when a monster moves out of the reach of a two-weapon-fighting PC, the PC only gets to swing at the monster one time with just one of his weapons, right? I'm pretty sure the rules imply this but want to confirm.

...Also, do you think the additional attack feature in the following houserule DW buff would be atrociously OP:

Dual Wielder feat - in addition to the regular benefits (though, minor nerf, offhand weapon must be light), you can simultaneously forgo your reaction and bonus action this round to attack one additional time with your offhand weapon, with no smites or other special added effects on that blow. Your standard offhand attacks no longer consume your bonus action.

No, I usually see people hating on that. I don't think it really hurts anything, but for consistency with other UA classes I included am origin feature that grants them spells that I feel fit the theme that they don't otherwise have access to.

I'm sorry, Jim, but you've got to pay if you want to play. It wouldn't be fair to everyone else. 15 dollars isn't a lot to ask for my magnificent entertainment.

I always assumed the biggest reason sorcerers had a smaller list was so they were forced to pick at least some of the useful pure combat spells. I don't think there's much reason to not just let them pick from the wizard list if the player isn't retarded

I thought it was going to be free :/

What are the consequences of living in a land below a floating continent? I mean, I imagine rocks/dirt/etc frequently coming loose and raining on you and your house must suck, and the sun being blocked out a good bit of the time must have some strange effects. What else may happen because of something like this?

In my game, Elemental Evil spells are not part of the spell list for anyone except sorcerers. This way, they have unique spells and some more flavor/power thereby (every other caster has unique spells).

I work at a LGS in my town, and on the week nights I wokr I dm some Adventurer's league, so I guess I'm paid to dm, but I'd do it fo free desu

Yes. This isn't really a problem for AT because of:
>booming blade
>disengage
>they either eat shit, and you do equivalent of dual wielding DPR, or they do a sub par ranged action
>you only need one weapon for that so your other hand can use a focus
Beyond that you can just gloss over it.

They mentioned from the start that all proceeds go to their Extra Life, so it was always going to cost money.

What if dual wielding only changed the attack action by combining the dice from each weapon without adding the ability score twice?
For example someone with 16 dex using two daggers would just roll once for 2d4+3 for an attack. I have no idea what to do with the fighting style though

Anyone here had some success with removing Battlemaster as a class or reworking it and just giving every fighter subclass maneuvers? I tried this once in a game and it made things other than Battlemaster actually playable

So to anyone who has read Tomb of Annihlation, how are you meant to fight Acerack without dying immedietly, or is he an optional encounter that you can avoid?

No rain. No grass. It's cold (~50-65'F) thanks to sun shading. Temperature differential at the light boundary creates a constant breeze which shifts as the sun moves across the sky. Low temperature, lack of precepitation, and lack of moisture-retaining plants leads to desertification. Constant wind from multiple directions and coarse ground carves exposed rock faces and whatever drops from the continent.

Life sucks. Move.

Runoff water, from rivers and rain. Imagine a waterfall making it's way over your home

Underdark creatures frequently coming to the surface. Suicides from the continent above. occasionally some wizard breaks gravity and almost kills everyone beneath it by dropping the whole continent on them, so far it's been saved every time though.

Drop the ceiling on him, blast him with siege weaponry that you've drug through the place, or provoke him into using Counterspell so he burns his reaction, then immediately donk on his ass with four Fighters.

Not him, is Acecerak the Strahd of this adventure?

Reposting from previous thread:

Acerak won't come out and attack until after the Atropal dies, and even then, he runs off and flees when he has only 100hp left. In addition, any player possessed by a trickster god (which has various added bonuses like temporarily boosting a character score to 23, as well as whatever the magic item they inhabit does) gets 50 temporary hit points each turn and does an extra 3d6 psychic against Acerak.

From what I can tell, you can't avoid fighting him at some point. Granted, it'll be at higher levels. In addition, if you explore the dungeon well enough, you'll end up fighting him with some pretty damn nifty powers that should help close the power gap. But it'll still be a rather tough battle.

do you guys have any place you go to get maps?
all the good shit on roll20 is locked behind a paywall and google images is hit and miss

Isn't the DM having fun too? If so then it's entirely on them to provide their own materials. And if not they're going to be a shit DM so they're DEFINITELY not going to be worth any money. Also, why would someone pay for somebody to run a premade game? Or do you mean a dmg and mm which every self-respecting non-reprobate person who enjoys the hobby has anyway.
And should this DM chip in should the dming responsibilities get picked up by another group member for a later game?

Seriously, what kind of passionless d&d are you people playing?

Dragon+ magazine.

>possession thing
Is this a specific entity in the book or are we saying any thing of that type works? Because trickster gods suck and I'd rather kill Acy without the help of some chaotic random faggot. Gimme help from a decent God if we gotta go that route

I draw my own. Sometimes in paint, sometimes on graph paper then scan it in.

Attacking with an offhand weapon uses a bonus action. You can only use a bonus action on your turn.

The feat is clunky and poorly worded and would allow the player to make 3 additional attacks, as freeing up the bonus action, by RAW, allows them to make an off-handed attack as a bonus action, so long as they used an attack action with a melee weapon. Don't add extra stipulations and limitations. Burning up a reaction is a big enough sacrifice. Requiring 2 feats to make something viable is bad design. If you're intent on allowing for a 3rd attack, I'd just add another bullet point to the TWF feat so it reads as follows:

>You master fighting with two weapons, gaining the following benefits:
>• You gain a +1 bonus to AC while you are wielding a separate melee weapon in each hand.
>• You can use two-weapon fighting even when the one-handed melee weapons you are wielding aren't light.
>• You can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one.
>• When you use a bonus action to attack a creature with an off-hand melee weapon, you may use your reaction to strike again using the same weapon.

That's bad and you should feel bad.

>two major cities with multiple smaller towns throughout
>you TRAVEL to the starting city, you are even conscripted off of the main continent
>loads of characters that do not have lore constrained to the starting port city, what are you even talking about
>decidedly more Amazonian in feel than African if you have even an elementary understanding of world history
the fuckin retard reeking off of your /pol/ tier post. hope to never come across a tabletop with someone of your caliber sitting at it

Actually, if we're talking about a giant fucking continent and it's not floating above cloud level, it's even colder than that. It'd easily reach freezing at night and possibly most days of the year. No one would be living down there to begin with. To make an under-continent habitat viable, we're talking more like a floating island than anything. even something the size of most Hawaiian islands would be big enough to fuck up everything down below.

I've been stuck in the Forever DM chair for 3 years at this point because my players refuse to take up a DM chair even once in a blue moon. I don't enjoy DMing anymore because of it. However, I still have the D&D itch, which I manage to somewhat scratch via DMing. And despite my exhaustion, I still put in everything I can to try to make sure the players have fun so they'll be interested in playing more. Not because I'm passionate about the game I'm running.

And, before you say anything, the players enjoy themselves and are hyped for more.

I store my dice in a Altoids can

Is it really that bad? It would get rid of two weapon fighting requiring an extra action, and put it on par with two-handed ones in terms of damage. It would also make the feat actually worth getting

That would be essentially what I posted but without the "burn yourself out to make another attack" bit. Kind of like berserker barbarian's frenzy attack, but potentially OP instead of bad.

My current version of two-weapon style has built into it the benefits from the feat of quick draw/stow and non-light weapons, and also swinging with both weapons on an opportunity attack. Still only available for ranger and fighter.

Now that I type that out, it really seems like it might need some toning down to be in line with the other styles, although opportunity attacks come up very rarely in my campaign so far.

Have you told your players you're burnt out and need a break?

>he believes that guy actually has players or a game
Where do you think you are?

I've taken several breaks. Usually all that does is give me enough energy to host a couple runs. Granted, I could probably downgrade from Campaign to One-Shots, but my players tend to make low-effort, joke characters for those. And understandably so, since they won't be around for long.

So for those unawares, the past few days there's been a separate thread on Veeky Forums discussing the "Gish" archetype missing in 5e. Currently the closest options are a mix of multiclasses with UA, leading to many DMs to not want to allow it for fear of being imbalanced or untested and not wanting to deal with that shit in their games.

I followed along with the discussions and it boiled down to basically three options: people wanted to see there be a port of Swordmage from 4th, while others wanted to see the Duskblade and Magus from 3.PF to be brought up into 5th edition. So, in my mind I thought, "... why not just a class with all 3 as an option?"

Enter the Spellsword. It's built to be a arcane half-caster class with the option of being tanky (Swordmage), nova DPR (Duskblade), or DPR/debuffer (Magus). Let me know what your initial thoughts are. This is the second version, after the first had some concerns about balances on various capstone powers and having it be too front-loaded with benefits.

Nice dude, maybe tweet this to WotC so they know that people are still willing to eat up any old trash with their logo on it ;)

Ooph. I fucked up the spoiler tags on that. Redo:

Yes in the sense that he's the "big bad". No in the sense that unlike Strahd, he just pops up at the very end; he isn't really meant to interact with the players before then or deliberately fuck with them.

So the thing is that Acerak basically trapped these nine gods into the big final dungeon/temple. By getting past traps in certain rooms dedicated to each god, and the player that touches a magic item basically has a chance (I think by doing a Wisdom saving throw) to try resisting being possessed. Narratively, the only things that happen when possessed is that certain gods give certain advice in some rooms based on their personality (only like 2-3 of the 9 are more brash/dicks), and the players get their flaws changed to match the god until they leave the temple or get possessed by a different god. Players also get rewarded for sticking to the changed flaw(s) while possessed by the god giving them the magic item after they leave the temple.

Also it's all tied specifically to the gods. Like getting keys to the temple and everything is all based around these specific gods and what they did in a story and how their personalities are. So it'd be difficult to outright change them to something else.

Is he a chump like how Strahd apparently is?
Thanks for all the info.

You get given powerups from the Chult gods, which beefs you up a bit
What possible fucking reason would Acerak have to flee?

What kind of class would best fit a wayfarer type? New player at my table is interested in a character who's an wandering adventurer. Abilities would probably have to include:
>Endurance, both in encounters/day and time away from restocking in towns/cities
>Ability to fight in difficult terrain
>Ability to deal with both ranged and melee enemies
>Ability to survive + heal wounds with or without healing magic

Probably can just be done with a ranger who travels as opposed to protecting one spot of forest, right?

No, it will just give you a free attack and let you deal the same damage as a great sword with with shortswords, completely eliminating the draw of the weapon. And how the fuck does it change the feat? It would interact in the same exact way.

Then say you want to play a campaign. Hold your DMing skills hostage. You'll never DM again if one of them doesn't for the next year. A real campaign, not a one shot.

it's not about eating anything, the user was dead wrong in his assessment of the module. but keep stroking it to that stick up your ass in the 5e general, it's a good look

>the "Gish" archetype missing in 5e
You mean a swordsinger?

Thats what they initially said. Or rather, pay-what-you-want.

That's basically UA Ranger to a T. except for healing without magic, but that can be fixed with the healer feat

>Or rather, pay-what-you-want.
$0

Revised Ranger

Pay-what-you-want, pay-what-they-want, what's the difference?

The two weapon fighting feat essentially giving you access to 2d8 weapon and 1 ac is better than what it currently does for anything with extra attack or any use of a bonus action. The draw of the great sword is GWM which hasn't changed. Two choices of weapon having the same damage with no/minimal investment isn't a bad thing in my eyes. The biggest problem with the adding the dice that I foresee would be handling magic weapons

>Third page
>Two different things that normally require a feat to get
>By third level
As always it's shit

follow-up
twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/908124799636877312

Original asker here. The floating landmass in question is pretty damn big, and is just above the clouds, which means rain may be able to get through, right?

Because you have shit for eyes.

He's significantly more formidable, especially since he's got Power Word Kill and can use legendary actions to move his Sphere of Annihilation around. Also since he doesn't have blatant weaknesses that can be easily taken advantage of like Strahd with the Sunsword and Holy Symbol of Ravenkind.

He doesn't really have a reason. Especially since his phylactery is hidden in a demiplane the PCs can't reach, so he'd just resurrect in 1d10 days. So at best, fleeing lets him hold onto his staff and Talisman of the Sphere, and not have to dick around with waiting to come back.

see

You are fucking retarded. 2d8 PER ATTACK with fucking rapiers? With NO drawbacks?
>8d8 damage from full attack action
>8d8 from action surge
>8d8 from haste
>still have your bonus action

Why do you think this shit is acceptable? How on earth do you expect anyone to take GWM and risk missing with the -5 penalty when you can do that much damage for free?

How is the magus in Kryx's houserules? I haven't looked at it closely yet. It starts at pdf page 55:

drive.google.com/file/d/0BxGh_mU9ihaPbXMtclcwWTlsM1U/view.

So what, remove them entirely and use new or different ideas, or spread out the feat-like things to higher levels?

Realistically clouds floating in from outside the shadow of the continent would rapidly cool and precipitate on the outer edge of the island. The center below the continent would still be a barren wasteland, but you'd have a crescent-shaped habitable zone along the western edge (or whatever direction the prevailing wind is blowing in from, carrying moisture).

There still wouldn't be any reason to live there unless it was the only land inhabitable (say, the continent floats above another continent which is smaller than it). Then everyone would just be on whichever coast is sunniest and not behind a rainshadow (on the other side of a mountain from the wind / ocean).

That's only 2 more damage on average than a 2d6 weapon at the cost of a feat, but I suppose if you make it sound more dire by naming every theoretical source of an extra attack

oooh

gottem

Remove them entirely and use new ideas. I think a feat should stay a feat and a class gets some cool new stuff instead.

How do we fix UA Eladrin?

My opinion: remove the dumb season = personality thing since it doesn't correlate to the season they're attuned to for their cantrips, so it ends up being just a hamfisted mechanical way to force RP. Revision: Eladrin just feel emotions more intensely than their other elven kin as a result of living in the Feywild, where things are intense and surreal.

For crunchier players: replace season personalities with some sort of damage resistance or vulnerability. Summer eladrin are resistant to fire damage, winter eladrin are resistant to cold damage, etc; Summer eladrin are vulnerable to cold damage and winter eladrin are vulnerable to fire damage, etc. Either/or situation depending on how sadistic your DM wants to be. And this ties to what season you choose your cantrip to be so it actually fucking means something.

Make the winter season cantrip either ray of frost or frostbite. Make spring cantrip either mending, mold earth, or something to do with renewal/farming. (Minor Illusion is already a cantrip most will pick up from their classes, which is my main beef with spring.)

Ability score increase and Fey Step are fine.