Yog Sothothery General - /ysg/ - Hellboy Shoots the Baba Yaga in the Fucking Face Edition

/ysg/, or Yog Sothothery General, or Yog Sothoth General, or Delta Green General as it usually ends up, is a place to discuss Call of Cthulhu, Trail of Cthulhu, Delta Green, and related games

>The classics that started it all
eldritchdark.com
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

>Call of Cthulhu Trove
mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu

>Atchung! Cthulhu
mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg

>Pulp Cthulhu
mega.nz/#!L9EFWSIT!o6clZxfdrVSOLkmcQz3wQ2Af9-hKsUxKc7214VynuY4

>Delta Green
pastebin.com/rtpJfc2L

Here is a nice story to start the thread

Other urls found in this thread:

www98.zippyshare.com/v/shZsxHHd/file.html
drivethrurpg.com/product/161906/d20-Dark-Matter-d20M
fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/hoard
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

And here's the whole story in scenario form

I ran it for my DG open table over the weekend. The Agents spent their week of prep time canvassing the area for hints about Baba Yaga and how to fight her. They figured out her weakness to iron and her reliance on her sense of smell after talking with a village priest and a forest shaman. They even arranged a meeting with her through Koku, her intermediary. They seriously considered cutting a deal to make her leave the village alone, but were unwilling to pay her "relocation fee" of 37 kids. With their deadline drawing near, they recruited a couple willing villagers and took a drive to Smolensk to pick up some hardware.

Smeared with feces and herbs so she couldn't smell them coming, the team crept up on her chicken leg house. One Agent kneecapped it with an anti-tank rifle, while the other rushed forward to toss a bundle of grenades into the window, destroying her skull lanterns (which the anthropologist determined were the source of her power during their visit). She tried to fly away, but was quickly shot down, reduced to a couple HP and devoid of the power she needed for her spells.

The Agents debated what to do with her. One wanted to bring her back to SV-8 in chains, while the other wanted to send her to the Appalachians, so she would prey on imperialist Yankee children instead of Soviet kids. The priest they brought with them from the village had other ideas. He'd lost a daughter to the Queen of Witches, and wanted revenge. When persuasion failed to stay his hand, the ensuing gunfight wiped out the whole team except for one Agent. Traumatized and loaded down with fresh disorders from the fight, the sole survivor retrieved Baba Yaga's silver broom from the crippled house and "swept" the scene clean, disposing of all the bodies and evidence.

The Baba Yaga did 6 total damage to the Agents. They did the rest on their own.

Here's another story

>so she would prey on imperialist Yankee children instead of Soviet kids

10/10 hero of the revolution

Bumping with a one page scenario. Hopefully the thread will still be here tomorrow.

And another

It kept telling me this one was too large to upload, even though it's a one page PDF with no pictures

(3/3)

bump

B.P.R.D. Field Guide Troll Market For Hellboy 2

www98.zippyshare.com/v/shZsxHHd/file.html

I really enjoyed this, please post more!

Do Cthulhu - and other Elder things - emit some kind of supernatural aura that drive human mad? Or people go mad because the concept of such thing was unimaginable at like hundred years ago?

>Or people go mad because the concept of such thing was unimaginable
This one.

Cthulhu, at least, does emanate some sort of psychic influence that affects, at least, those sensitive to it.
I recommend you read "the Call of Cthulhu", it's basically required reading and it is short and free.

Looking for the new Dark Matter d20, haven't had luck in DA Archive.
drivethrurpg.com/product/161906/d20-Dark-Matter-d20M - this is the one I'm looking for. Has anyone got a good pdf of this?

The "psychic aura that makes you go crazy" thing is bullshit pushed by people who haven't actually read any Lovecraft. Cthulhu can project his dreams into the minds of lesser beings but it's not like there is a "You will go bonkers past this point" field around every mythos monster.

Most cases of Lovecraft characters going insane happens after they saw the spooky shit, it's PTSD.

Asked in Da Archive but I figured I should try here too. Anyone have a PDF of the Delta Green scenario Observer Effect? I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, what's your favorite official Delta Green scenario? I personally love Night Floors.

I always found it very odd that existence of Hellboy doesn't immediately cause a global freakout.

Bump

SPOOKY

This is amazing, thanks!

Favorite was the one posted to Detwiller's patreon, "Control Copy." Good old murder mystery that was the first DG op that my players really figured out on their own.
As much as I like the surreal nature of Night Floors I always felt like it was "spooky shit happens, blow up the building" without much payoff.

Night Floors is great for atmosphere but has little in the way of gameplay. Hoard is a better execution of the same concept, since it relies on the players actually figuring out and solving the mystery, rather than waiting for the GM to let them out

fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/hoard

More? Really digging this!

Detwiller said at Gencon that Night Floors is getting a rewrite for Impossible Landscapes. Also that it's different enough that even if your players already played it, it won't make a difference. Hoping it involves more substance.

Yeah, those are basically my problems with Night Floors too. I had it lead into a full Carcosa/Hastur based campaign, but I can see how on its own there isn't really any payoff.

I'm definitely excited for this. Anything Hastur-related really ticks all my boxes.

This is the last one I have saved. You'll have to go find the rest on your own.

Great stuff user(s).

Does anyone avoid applying any of Lovecraft's gods to their games at all?

The last game I played, the supernatural power was represented by rain, but little else. Though what the rain did to 'expecting' mothers in the cult that prayed to it was very seriously cosmic.

My players seem to enjoy human antagonists more than beasties in general.

I like including them, but they're always more of a background thing that rarely gets referred to by name.

It's way more interesting to take certain aspects of Lovecraft's gods and twist them to existing (or dead, but still real) religions. I'll take Shub Niggurath as a Celtic fertility goddess or a Southern Baptist snake church that ended up worshipping Yig at some point a few decades ago but still seems like a regular ol' weird branch of Christianity unless you really dig into it over Overtly Evil Cthulhu Cult #1059 any day.

Thoughts on David Harbour as Hellboy?

Honestly just grateful they're going to make a new Hellboy movie at all.

Would you an eldritch horror?

Still bummed that it's not gonna be Ron Pearlman anymore and John Hurt is dead, I don't know how they're gonna top some of the casting from the Del Toro movies.

Mostly what said though. Doesn't hurt that the Hellboy makeup looks almost exactly the same as it did on Pearlman.

>Control Copy
Anyone have a PDF of this? I can't find it anywhere

The actor is fine, it's everything else around the film that I don't like

What do you mean?

The villain is the Blood Queen which is yet another entry into "apocalyptic magic women" which I'm sick of from Mummy, Suicide Squad, and Thor Ragnarok. Considering that Hellboy has fought very interesting mundane stuff or of cthulhu level entities, having a magic woman to punch seems really fucking lame.

Blood Queen is also one of the newest enemies Hellboy has fought in the comics and also have nothing to do with his origins beyond tangential ties.

Rated R also scares me. Hellboy has never been foul and while bloody, never particularly gory enough to warrant such. At most I'm hoping to see one topless scene and nothing beyond that.

It's kind of a weird plot to jump right into with a movie, since it's the culmination of so many other storylines - Hellboy's backstory, rescuing the girl from the fairies, trading his eye to the Baba Yaga for safe passage, etc

Someone I know has been adapting the Fallen London/Sunless Sea setting for a Call of Cthulhu game, shit's gonna be cool as fuck

If i want to get into hellboy, where do i get started if i'm the kind of dude who wants stuff in paper?

What collection (since i find atleast 2 different series of collections) is the one to go for etc?

(oops didn't mean to quote)