Character Quotes Thread

> Funny/interesting character quotes/catchphrases thread

Hey Veeky Forums,

I recently joined a new group, and I'm playing a high Char character, which is not something I do often. However, I'm struggling to get into character and really roleplay the char, and I really don't want to be that dude that just say "i will convince him of ________" and then roll the dices for it. If my character's strength is speech, I want to do some proper talking and have interesting dialogues!!

So here is where I need Veeky Forums's help: I'm not used to this sort of character and I need to come up with ideas of things I can say. This goes from catchphrases (that I can repeat every once in a while), stories I can use as examples, or basically anything good quote you find handy.

My character is a sailor that has sailed to everywhere and met people from every corner of the world, so one of the ideas I have is to often tell long (and mostly irrelevant) stories to use as examples for whatever I'm trying to convince people of.

Here is an example:
> Trying to convince the rest of the party we should settle for what we have
> Tell long ass story about the time I tried to bang 3 girls from but it ended being too much so I just focused on the hottest one
> Everyone is now like "ok that is a really unnecessary example, but maybe you are right"

Also, random quote thread so feel free to just share any funny/interesting thing your characters or NPCs have said along the years.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o2Q6AwrGUkQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

a little shameless self bump

I like the sound of this as a thread. It can be hard thinking up one-liners. I've been doing a great deal of this lately, as the party in my game has a hype-man/helper of sorts named Jeremy. He's a gay badger-man Bard/Barbarian multi-class with a Bronx accent, and serves as meat-wall, heal-bot, and buff guy. I try to break it down by what he's doing with his words.

A buff spell gets cutesy quips and limericks:
>"My favorite renewable source of energy is man-power!"

For Bardic Music, I pick thematically-appropriate songs I know that I can quickly convert to be setting appropriate on-the-fly.
>Favorites of mine and the group's include Freebird, Turn The Page, We Will Rock You, generally stadium rock favorites are what he goes for
>My table gets into it and joins in most times

>Playing DH1
>Crazy Slaanesh Cultist pulls grenade out of my characters hand
>''FINE! I ONLY WANTED THE PIN ANYWAY!''

As for interesting quotes, I don't think I can top back when I played a prostitute-assassin who spoke only in rhymes. That was a bitch to come up with on-the-fly, but always paid off.

My favorite exchange of dialogue for him was between Edgar (me), and Doctor Bearington, my friend's bear-man doctor. He had been hogging the map of the ancient temple of DOOOOM we were stuck in, and Edgar had had enough. He puffed up his chest, poked the much-bigger-than-him-and-still-a-fucking-bear doctor in the chest, and said:

>"Will the good doctor learn how to share, or will I again have to wrestle a bear?"

Edgar got his dandy-boy ass beaten.

>play a hulking behemoth of an ape (9' tall and weighs a literal metric tonne)
>first thing he did interacting with the party's wizman was mimic the way he ordered a drink, smashing a sturdy looking wooden bar into splinters
>fuckin STRONG
>eventually the incredible bulk, wizman, and a 7' tall praying mantis gunslinging cowgirl stumble below a church and a fight breaks out
>my brick shithouse pulverizes a dretch into a purple mist
>wizman and mcree turn another into swiss cheese
>the wizman is the first to loot because hes a filthy mexican (I guess spaniard, but whatever)
>as he pockets some gold, I nail a perception check and when he turns around all he sees is gorilla dick covered in dretch gore
>"what you find" comes rasping fourth, resonating in the walls of the dungeon and subtly echoing in the hallways
>"u-uuh, g-gold"
>"how many"
>wizman decides to make a bluff check and succeeds because hes so short compared to my gorilla that he can barely be seen below his gut with the way I'm standing
>"3" (it was actually 10)
>"thats good" as he drops the seemingly tiny coins into my hands
>nobody saw where I put them, but the next time the party looked at me I wasn't holding them anymore

by the time I said "how many" all I could hear whas the DM wheezing in the background, and everyone else was starting to crack up

when I said thats good the DM laughed so hard he basically just yelled for a second and then wheezed for another like 30 minutes

we still joke about it, and I almost always tear up

is there such a thing as necroing on Veeky Forums?

Oh you reminder me.
>be in a party
>each player needs a primordial artifact to progress
>getting the rangers
>have to fight some druids for it
>win after an hour of fighting
>arch druid walks up to the ranger
>"here take this artifact and use it to the best of your abilities"
get ready

>"thank you i'll use it wilesley"
WILESLEY
He had one job

>"In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.’"

Me every time the paladin starts acting stupid

nice

bump

youtube.com/watch?v=o2Q6AwrGUkQ
btw the David Bowie motherfucker is voiced by Solaire of Astora

My mad alchemist/monster hunter used to use the quote "Knowledge lives on the razors edge" whenever he would risk his life. Played a bounty hunter named Isaac Newton who would introduce himself as "Isaac Newton, The Bounty Hunter not the Physicist."

We were fighting these cultist bitching about how everyone was blind to the end times, including themselves. so they were going to cut out everyones eyes or some shit.
I was playing a one eyed monk, I took off my eyepatch and before dropping the last one off a cliff "In the land of the blind... the one eyed man is king."
Looking back on it, it wasn't super amazing but I got a kick out of it.

>Infiltrating some tribe
>One PC somehow pisses off the elder, who orders his execution
>"Don't kill me! My child bride is too young to be a widow!"

>"Just 'cuz I'm blonde and have blue eyes doesn't mean I am a nazi you racist fuck."

"Do saytr's shit cubes?"

I think this is awesome, actually. Its not much about what you said but the whole situation that gave you the opportunity to say it.

>"Curse marks, bullshit, you were kind of a dick, but you seem alright now."
While catching up a group member who lost their memory while having a curse mark removed.

>"Death is constantly on the menu."
Regarding the safety of their current mission.

Some medium ranked guy from city guard is always bitching about us, even though we are constantly saving their ass. Bitches to me, a cannibal savage barbarian.
> "Stand aside maggot, or I will take your life, eat your flesh and consume your soul." (intimidate roll)

Our wizard in regards to non-wizard spellcasters:

>"That's not even spellcasting! That's...wishing very hard."

this is good haha
makes me want to play wizard for a change just to say that

Once the druid tried to talk to an alley cat he found behind the tavern, and the DM made the entire dialogue saying only "meow". (and somehow, the druid player could understand what the fuck the DM was saying with all those meows).

Party Paladin:
>Zeal is an acceptable substitute for cleverness

And boy howdy it sure worked for him. Dude was at 100% go time all the time . Dude was also some weird crown paladin without a country which leads to...

>"I dont give a dam about them, I dont give a dam about gods favors, Orcs armies or whatever other thing comes. What I care about are those people scared and starving. Whos whole life and meaning lost. And Ill be the one to fix it. Ill build that city on a hill for them. And I wont let anyone fucking stop me"

Unfortunately those arent the exaxt words but the city on the hill part is verbatim.

My own personal quote, or at least one people use in relation to me:
>user's here! user's dead! user became difficult terrain!
It happened frequently enough that it stuck.

hail_hydra.png

> New to WoD.
> Play a malkavian.
> GM decides I'm gonna be the scourge of the town.
> "I'm gonna be a who?"
> "Scrooge!"
> "Scrooge?"
> "Yes. Tzimische have turned you into a duck"

I am currently playing a charisma-reliant character in a STALKER campaign. He is a serial killer and murders randoms as often as he can get away with (pretty often in The Zone) but maintains a great reputation with every faction he meets because he just acts polite and friendly, nobody has a clue. Even some of the party members still haven't found out IC.
My character hasn't told too many jokes or said a lot of zingers and quips, but you don't need a lot of that to have a charismatic character.
If you want to make it easy, read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie, or just keep a list of the principles from it (two second Google images search) handy to look at while you're in-game.
Also watch a bunch of movies and TV with charismatic characters in it, it's great inspiration to take from.

Actually, here. Just to save you the search.

Same malkavian (insane, like all Malkavians, naturally), a linguist by backstory, translating an extract from the Book of Nod.
> "It's Old Sumerian. Let me see... And Galadriel... No... Gabriel's Spork... Nah... Sword. Gabriel's Sword will be found in a lane... No... Found again. Yes. Shut up! Shut up! I can't hear him!
> Another player: "Are you guys sure that he's a reliable translator?"

Always wanted to play as a serial killer, especially if the other players didn't know about it. Most people I play with are so naive that they would never suspect another player to be a serial killer (if I did it "secretly", either telling the DM through messages or something, or just letting the DM pick when it happens).

> I am currently playing a charisma-reliant character in a STALKER campaign. He is a serial killer and murders randoms as often as he can get away with (pretty often in The Zone) but maintains a great reputation with every faction he meets because he just acts polite and friendly, nobody has a clue.
Btw, I don't know shit about STALKER, but this description sort of reminded me of a character from a series. Have you ever watched
Van Helsing (2016 - )? Its a series about vampires, and it isn't that great but its watchable (and is on netflix). If you ever feel bored, you could watch it. There's a serial killer character and I personally thought it was surprising when I figured out who it was (but again, I'm a bit dumb with this shit)

will read

That is cool. I should try to do some of those more often.

I just got out of a relationship, and something I'm trying this time is actually to remember the name of girls (until then, I was simply terrible in remembering the name of anyone). Seems to be working alright, though I'm in constant fear of calling a chick with another's chick name (which is not something I used to worry, since I never called anyone by their names).

But cool reading man. Thanks for sharing.

Also, same malkavian, talking with a lady designer (human PC unaware of vampires existing) at a game store she is decorating.
> (she) "I heard games are toxic and dangerous, they can turn you into an antisocial monster".
> (malk) "Personally I first turned into an antisocial monster, and then started playing games".

> (malk) "Personally I first turned into an antisocial monster, and then started playing games".
i don't like malkavians, but that is a good quote

Damn. That's kinda cool.

A trick I always liked is you ask "what was your name again?" And when they tell you, say "oh, I meant your last name." And they think you knew the whole time.

Nice trick, though I'm not sure that would work on my language. =/

ps: i don't even know the name of some of my cousins, that is HOW BAD i'm at remembering names

This is one my favorite quotes (its from a book), and I hope one day I will be able to drop while playing:

* shitty guy suggests you and him should work together*
> "There are but two problems. One, I work alone, and two .... you are dead."
* kills shitty guy *

Online?

No, we actually witness the DM make the entire dialogue out of "meow"s. Live.

I mean, sanity is a luxury I guess.

Recently I was playing a game of the KSBD RPG as a blind assassin and during the in character introductions one of the other players asked me how I could shoot if I was blind. I'm still kinda basking in the afterglow of my reply, if only because I think it was very fitting for the setting/source material.

>Not being able to use your eyes and not being able to see are two distinctly different things.

>Party discussing religion
>"Why would we look for a Calistria (Essentially the elf-wasp-goddess of being a vengeful cunt) temple? Just look for the nearest brothel."
>Naive guy asks what a brothel is to a Calistrian, a vanilla uptight healer, an amoral gnoll savage, and an amoral sorceress
>Healer and noob against going to brothel, Calistrian and sorceress for it, gnoll don't care
>The question arises how the terrifying, scarred (and more importantly) tighter with money than scrooge mcduck gnoll even knows what a brothel is
>"Was bouncer. Very good bouncer. Sometimes they bounce four, five time."

nice. reminds me of another story involving brothels

> Party is hired to find a way into the underground complex of catacombs below the city, where they need to find a rare artifact.
> PCs don't know how how access the catacombs, so they start asking around
> The young knight who is completely clueless about most stuff start asking to people how to get to the underground
> Meets a red haired woman, she can take him there, below where she works
> She works somewhere that looks like a tarvern, all the staff seems to be red-haired women as well
> She takes the young knight the basement of the building, and into a small room (conveniently, with a bed)
> Young Knight: "Where is the underground? I don't see any passage..."
> Red-haired Woman: "THIS is the underground..."
> Young Knight: "No milady. I need to go deeper into the underground."
> Red-haired Woman: "Well, I can take you there, but that is going to cost you more."

The PC was so clueless he actually left without understanding the situation.

PS: The place where she works was named "The Red Bush", though that joke was a lot more subtitle since we don't play in english (the joke doesn't work on our language, but eventually the players thought about what it meant in english)

that's kinda lame
i almost cringed tbqh

Did you kill him with a katana after teleporting behind his back?

i thought it was cool, but perhaps because i was a kid (guessing 14yo) when i first read it

no, it is from a book, never had to chance to use it

High Char-highish Wis character quote (that I was happy with) of my momentary character:

>Group got introduced by doing a sea voyage on a ship, and being the only survivors of shipwreck, washed ashore on an Island.
>Manage to get to the next village, where a temple to the god of storms is built. The priest clothes us and gives us a few copper pieces, as it is customary with shipwreck survivors.
>Stumble around in tthe village, earn a few gold pieces, hear the the daughter of one of the villagers' miners (Ole) wants to marry under the Lord of the Morning, a newcomer to the village.
>Old Storm priest doesn't like it, told Ole that shouldn't happen. Ole is pious.
>Meet new priest, nice person, just like the daughter.
>My character decides to do something about it, goes back to the Storm Priest.

Character: "I am sorry but I have a problem and I need some counsel. When we walked around the island, me and a friend of mine got into an argument. He said, in order to remain standing on a stormy island such as this, a tree should be rigid and strong as an Oak. But I argued, in order to flourish on a stormy island such as this, a tree should be flexible as a Willow. We didn't manage to find common ground. What would you say?"

Storm Priest: "An interesting question. I believe, in the short term, your friend is right. One must be as rigid as the Oak to form roots on an island such as this. But in the long term, I believe nothing rigid will withstand a storm. The twig that will not bend, breaks. The flexibility of the Willow is necessary to endure...which of your friends asked that? It is a complicated question - the half-elf and the human looking like a peasant didn't seem smart enough for it. The elf?"

"No, it was a new friend. A miner called Ole. Thank you for the answer, goodbye."

>Discussion had two concequences:
>1. Storm Priest gave his blessing to the marriage under the Lord of the Morning after a while.
>2. Storm Priest never let me in the fucking temple again.

I like this metaphor of the oak and the willow. But I too like the metaphor from Mulan's emperor (pic related, which is basically a fancy way to say "fuck you").