How come Wizards changed over time from the superior painterly aesthetics of the original cards...

How come Wizards changed over time from the superior painterly aesthetics of the original cards, over to the inferior modern designs which look like they belong in a DC or Marvel comic?

Well user, sadly we are a small minority, I'm sure plenty of people on the internet will agree with you but magic has become more and more about mainstream appeal. I mean take the gatewatch story and the upcoming magic movie. You think they care what the oldfags think? No, because you'll keep buying your cardboard crack.

>Want the old art with the new border

Where does that put me?

Isn't new lightning bolt also hand painted?

If they wanted to make it look sleek and modern they should have gone the full way, and make it have full art.

>the new art is shit the old ones were bette-

The only thing I dislike about the new art is the sorcerer

OP is about card design, not art.

>No, because you'll keep buying your cardboard crack.
I stopped a good while back because I was displeased with the direction the game was taking.

Then again, I've never become easily addicted to things.

>Stop a while back
>Implying you won't get back into it when there is a set or card that fits your demographic's sensibilities
It's always waiting user, enjoy your break

Nope. I'm done. Selling my collection of old reserve list cards and making good money. Reinvesting the money in stocks.

Is this the only bad art card? Only this is literally posted every time.

OG Flash is pretty awful as well, the art doesn't even make sense for it.

What is even happening here?

It's originally not from 6th but from Mirage. Some not!African spook tale.

I think it's supposed to be coming out of his ear? A flash of inspiration maybe? No idea.

The guy just couldn't figure out the self timer on the camera.

A monster appears during a thunder storm in a flash (behind the man).

He's taking a selfie and the camera just flashed.

Because, 25 years ago, most artists kinda had to use traditional methods due to computer-drawn art not being a thing.
Nowadays, most artists (especially the ones one can afford to commission for large numbers of artwork, because WotC needs a fuckload of art and not just a couple good ones) work on their computers, either entirely or at some point, simply due to how times have changed.

>MTG cards are now less aesthetically pleasing than YGO cards
Really makes you think.

Yugioh cards are almost always unreadable.

If you're an idiot or blind.

Yi-Go-Oh has always looked like shit. I can't think of a worse looking TCG. Is has always been barely readable and poorly formatted.

*in your opinion

No it's literally about the art. Read the OP again.

I'm afraid that's the opinion of anyone who isn't a nigger.

So why are all the elves in this set called "Merfolk?"

Unironically this

pelbs detected

this is the manakin from Iconic master, you can find good stuff even in new cards.

Well, the alter really is better.

thats funny as shit

Because the new art generally looks better, as your very example proves.

>that card
more like everything by Foglio

Lol no.

The old art has a hand-painted and abstract charm to it while the new art is too literal and is obviously done exclusively on computers. It mirrors perfectly how WotC has degraded as a company over the years.

>Hurr durr all computer art is bad
What's it like to be a luddite?

It's more that art directors has more power over quality control.

The bell curve is now tighter we have fewer stinkers and fewer out the box winners it's not really a bad just a different way of illustrating a set. Nothing stops great artists from being great.

>obviously done exclusively on computers
Except it's not?

They acquired better resources and were able to print clearer and more complicated designs. However, people have a psychological bias to respect older things more than newer things regardless of quality.

>clearer and more complicated designs
this is not always good

Am i really the only one who unironically likes stasis? I wouldn't call it art in the "put it in a museum" way,but i really like it. It something i would happily hang in my kitchen.

>something i would happily hang in my kitchen
same goes for neighbors obnoxious kid, that doesn't make it piece of art

its a good painting, most neckbeards hate art because it's a 'cool' world they feel excluded from so they jerk their micropenises over hyperrealistic big titty elf girls

I like it. It's unique and chill as hell. I wouldn't mind hanging it either.

It's not even bad but does it convey "This is a spell that puts parts of the game on hold"? Maybe via the scales but they're not in any way the focus so it's a stretch.

It's not bad art, it is bad card art.

Who says all card art should always be a direct representation of the card? Why can't it be a bit more abstract?
Also if you have context the picture is pretty stasis. I would say it conveys it pretty well for an abstract drawing. If anything the problem with it is it's the only one done like that. It clearly doesn't have he fantasy style of every other card. But that's not a problem of stasis, it's a choice from art direction.

>you will never be a dagger dual-wielding kkk who sacrifices furries on the seesaw altar

That's a really nice painting. Mind if I save it?

The new, more tightly-focused art style was pushed in order to create a M:tG visual identity. Old-school Magic art drew from not just a variety of artists but from a variety of visual styles. Not everything was "painterly", you had all sorts of zany art styles--and all sorts of different levels of quality.

Consider this: If you were to see the full art of a modern-day card, with absolutely no indication that it came from M:tG, you'd still be able to tell, wouldn't you? There's a distinct look that the game has now that it did not have in the past.

I'd also argue that the quality has gone up over all (at least on a technical level), but that for every abhorrent artistic abortion that we're avoiding, we're also losing out on some beautiful or daring piece that isn't possible because it doesn't fit in the new M:tG visual identity. Tightening the reins on artists does that.

I guess if I had a choice I'd want to go back to the older "pick artists that have distinct visual styles and let them run with it" system, but the new stuff isn't all bad. And it's undoubtedly accomplished what it set out to do.

>you'd still be able to tell, wouldn't you?
No. The iconic artists who around for most of the game's lifespan are gone and the designs are generic fantasy.

It's not the monster that suddenly appears, but the man

I love this art.

Is that art on the right supposed to be male or female? The flavor text says male, but the art seems long-haired and shapely.

The art is definitely female, I don't think the artist and writer communicated.

Lightning has no gender you fucking ingrates

Pretty sure it's as simple as the commission notes not stating the mage's gender, so the artist just drew what he liked. Then the flavor text was written, and the mags was so tiny that the guy writing it probably didn't even realize that she was there or, if he did notice, didnt notice that it was female. Or it was made male because of some inane reason like an extra s putting them above their character limit or something and it was assumed that people wouldn't be able to tell anyway.

Is that Sniff from Moomin?

your cards are already stocks. probably with more return then most stocks.

just because you can add more "things" to fill up your canvas, doesnt mean you should

Why is the fluff text both horrible and so small? There's so much unused room on the card it's just dumb. Also gold name text on a yellow background is as unaesthetic as shit.

I'm not saying all YGO cards look like shit, but that one does.

>Flavor text says "he"
>Character in the art has feminine silhouette

What did they mean by this?

hahahhahaha

aahahhaha

hah

Veeky Forums please

ty

>feminine silhouette
No such thing

>gold name text on a yellow background
That's just because it's a foil card. Foils have shiny gold text, normally the text is black.

Fuck you user this is amazing. If this was printed today the art would just be the wall falling on somebody at a dramatic angle or something.

Now I want to be a Wallomancer.

I have thought about this too. Trust red to be a color to accommodate trannies and 'there's totally like more than 2 genders' bs.

There are studies about this. It essentially comes down to "cultural capital" (which is really just a fancy way of saying education and previous exposure to art) and wether you have it or not. Those who lack cultural capital don't like art they don't understand, and studies also show that they spend far more time looking at abstract art while trying to understand it. People with cultural capital are able to instead appreciate art for what it is without thinking too much about it or trying to understand it, and are generally mroe open to abstract concepts (when asked wether they'd be willing to see an art gallery with nothing but pictures of tree stumps, people with more cultural capital generally say yes while people with little tend to say no).

whatever, I stopped playing long ago when the Carabinieri confiscated my deck

I'm glad,I don't have cultural capital then.

This is more interesting and we should immediately derail the thread to talk anout this.

why are all in order and stuff

That is one of the best arts, just because you can't into anything but photoshop painted airbrush planeswalker with big tiddies it does not mean you have mandate over what constitutes good art.

>I can't think of a worse looking TCG.

Spellfire.

wtf is going on here

Those officers look real disappointed at those cards

Looks like a Legacy Dredge deck. Those illegal in Italy?

They should be.

I'm going to need more info on this one, user.

yes

The best old art is better than the best new art, but the far more common bad old art is infinitely worse than the worst new art.

You can't prove me wrong.

At least the bad old art has a goofy charm to it, new bad art is just shit.

>there will never be cleverly chosen literature quotes on your cards anymore

That's nostalgia goggles, and I'd rather just skip over some jank commons with shit art and play my full deck of decent to good art cards instead of being forced to play chase rares with art my literally retarded ass could do better than.

the m10 bolt looks better though, take off your nostalgia goggles

the real question is why they put that ugly black bar on the bottom of the m15 border new cards

>playing dredge

you deserved it user...

Make room for the holo sticker and to make the information packed down there easier to read.

Painterly is not better, it's just different.

However I will agree that using only one art style (Like they've done for the past years) is getting REALLY boring.

>old card art is superior

mhmm

t. steve argyle

Even shit old art like this has character, at least. Or is funny. Modern cards are simply fucking boring to look at, I don't remember the last time I actually looked at a card just for the art. So yeah I'd rather have old hand-drawn art with a few shit nuggets that you can at least laugh at over lifeless CGI.

>upcoming movie

Kill me

Thread status: fucking derailed. More. Now.

Why yes, that is a good example of superior old art.