Tfw you love how rules-light/medium narrative games read on paper but hate how they feel in play

>tfw you love how rules-light/medium narrative games read on paper but hate how they feel in play

hate the players, not the game

Well, I guess someone has to enjoy being around really pretentious English majors.

What does this even mean?

>Love the universe
>Shitton of books
>Near encyclopedic knowledge of units available
>Solid understanding of the lore
>Willing to do the research to make things true to the setting.
>Can't tell a story or GM for shit.

There's probably good reason I've never GM'ed past the third session.

Just take some storytelling or writing classes.

Talk like you are reading a script written by HP lovecraft.

Try to describe things by two senses, like the dark smelly sewer, or the bright peaceful village.

Straight up do a dummed down story like rescue the princess

It means that everyone who likes things I don't is a shallow caricature I can dismiss out of hand to avoid leaving my comfort zone or having to back up or question my own point of view.

A very large portion of the rules lite / narrative game playerbase is the pretentious "I took 1 year of psychology and english and now I am 3deep5u" fuckbois.
Sorta like how WoD has edgelords as their iconic "that guy",MtG has neckbeards and Pathfinder has furries.

My biggest revelation was actually understanding that originality < entertainment. I wholesale rip off other stories and games and the quality of my gming has gone way up

not true.
if you build a "perfect" system no one gets, you are just autistic.

My trick at GMing is... (and its REALLY good)
I add "motion" to every description. There is nothing more important, it makes everyone feel the moment.
its easy when outside, like "Heavy clouds are floating above a green meadow stretching itself into the forest to the north."
If you want to describe objects that has no motion, add a motion with lighting such as "The stone walls are pitch black, yet smooth enough to reflect the torch light that comes from the end of the hallway"
Hope that helps. MOTION. thats my trick anyhow

I meant to write "the dancing torch light" but forgot the dancing part, which is the motion. Yet now you can tell the difference

Here is my point (sorry its late here and im spamming 3 messages but...)
Wanna describe grass? Add motion by describing how it bends against the wind
Want to describe the walls? Add motion by describing how the light touches them.
Want to describe a table? Describe the motion of wood decorating it (ie different shades of brown wood flow across the table)
anything can be set into motion, and it makes the players ACTIVELY imagine what you are telling eather than taking it as a sidenote

Not that guy but this is actually a great tip, thanks.

>I wholesale rip off other stories and games and the quality of my gming has gone way up

As a player, I have to say that I really don't care much for originality from my GM. Just either file off the serial numbers or say we're doing the story you ripped off, and I'm happy as a clam.

Hell, I'd enjoy a game about knights rescuing a kidnapped princess from a castle. Put some personality and effort in and I'd be delighted. Towergirl-fags get out. Default princess only.

> Originality
Doesn't really exist.
The only originality i expect from the DM is to tailor the player's character into the story.
So if you are playing "save the princess" - fine by me! But the DM needs to be original enough to think how my wizard can fit into the story and become part of the group.

2bh I'm of the opinion that figuring out how your character fits into the party is the players responsibility, but I mostly agree about the GM needing to work with you on blending characters into the story.

Pretty much this, its kind of hacky game design as well, basically designing about 3-4 rules and saying to the GM 'hey, you can make the rest up now, thanks for the 30 quid and all'

WoD is edgy as shit too.

Your just not witty or flexible enough.

This is a good tip while talking. But makes you sound like a 5th grader while writing

The order of operations my group follows is more like this:
>GM or Player pitches a campaign idea
>Group talks about it and eventually comes to agreement on what they want to play
>GM and players decide what sort of PCs will be most appropriate
>Players individually describe the PCs they want, have rough idea of game mechanics
>GM approves the ideas
>Players finish PCs and submit for final approval
>GM approves, possibly after modification

That way everyone's happy. People are playing settings to which they're agreeable, and characters which fit into the game idea, and no-one's trying to shoehorn in stuff that doesn't fit.

7th Sea?

>Pure pottery

>Your just not witty or flexible enough.
I am going to trust that you're being ironic in this post.

Where are you finding these 5th graders who regularly drop personification?

What are you talking about.
>She stood there like a beast her breath hanging in hanging in the air
>The fire spread across the floor like a stream of deadly water.
>He keen to get to her, but the flames danced between them like the grinning faces from his past.

This isn't good writing, this is what a kid would write

Was keen*

You're not wrong. We are taught to do the same thing to give effective opening statements in court cases. It works well to grab the attention of the jury and pull them I to the sorry you're trying to tell.

5th graders aren't familiar enough with cliche to right something anything like that. At least, none of the 5th graders I've seen. 5th graders in your neck of the woods may be accelerated past whiny teenagers already.

Not that user, but I do make a living writing. There's a yuuuge difference between your examples and the other user's actual suggestions. One is purely descriptive. The other equates different levels of abstraction.

In other words, you're retarded. Get your shit together. Not that other user's tip isn't sort of rudimentary, but your criticism of it is just fuckawful.

Get a better GM. A rules-heavy game takes a lot of work off of the GM, and a rules light game requires much more versatility to run.

Try Tunnels & Trolls and work on your vocabulary

Have you tried playing D&D