EDH/Commander General /edhg/

P3K Appreciation Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: What's your most "Hipster" commander?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/07-09-17-kambals-chicken-noodle-soup/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/chandra-09032017/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

are there even hipster commanders at this point? everything is either played to some extent or unplayable garbage. when you see a finely tuned Chromium deck or something it's good despite having a bad commander, not because of it.

i guess my most "hipster" deck is my uyo storm control deck.

I want to build a rosheen deck
that will be my hipster commander

>talked friends into commander
>each of them bought a precon deck
>still didn't play a game because they are not sure what colours of sleeves they should pick
>they are excited about everything
>yesterday they were showing off their Spin Down Counters and asking me about set symbols on them
Being a newbie is the best part of every hobby, prove me wrong

Jiwari, the Earth Aflame

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/07-09-17-kambals-chicken-noodle-soup/

Can I get some opinions on this? It's been working really well for me when I play it but I feel like putting in Tainted Remedy would also do me good.

The best ability for commander is horsemanship. Prove me wrong

>Prove me wrong
Eminence exist user

Value is subjective. If you think it's the best, it's the best for you.

the best part is getting new cards and trying them out. atleast in my opinion.

>value is subjective
>if I think shock looks cooler and better than lightning bold that means shock is the best

how is horsemanship any better than unblockability?

What are your unofficial commanders? The nonlegendaries that your playgroup allows?

You get to ride on a sickass horse

its not, im a different person I just think saying value is subjective is retarded

Disregard that, i suck cock

Ublockability adds more mana to a creatures mana cost, or subtracts power, relative to horsemanship, which is costed like flying

You get to block other people with Horsemanship.

you also get mocked by some old asshole

When are the 2017 commander decks being reprinted?

Who's more interesting for Werewolf tribal between Ulrich and Ruric Thar?
I get the feeling Ulrich wants to transform often and should have some various P/T boosts to take advantage of his fight ability, while Ruric Thar will keep werewolves in their wolf forms thanks to his punishing ability.
So I guess with Ulrich I'll want creatures with abilities that activate when they flip, and with Ruric I'll want some more "don't you dare cast stuff" effects and creatures that want to stay flipped.
Anything I missed?

Sigh, he's right. Here's mine anyway. Only 120 decks on edhrec so I guess that qualifies as "hipster"

>still 20 bucks

well i guess its better than 30

The set isn't actually out yet. The number of Consecrated Sphinxes in players' hands has only slightly increased.

>Get Edgar deck for birthday
>Foils are in fucking spanish
>Several cards missing
>Store sold out of the Deck (Fucking Teferi's Protection)
Happy Birthday to me!

(Later got a refund and found another store that had it in stock)

Wizards support can deal with that. Happened to me and they were happy to send me a new deck.

Way faster this way, didn't want to wait for shipping from abroad (I'm a eurofag), but yes I was aware that it was an option. I'd rather let the store deal with Wizards.

>foils are all in spanish

I know what would make a fine addition to the deck.

November, from what I heard.

Why is it that I only care about EDH when I'm in a position where I can't build or brew? It's like money in the bank, free time to spare, but can't be bothered to start get the idea train rolling. Assignments due in t-2 hours? No disposable income? Suddenly EDH becomes the pinnacle of my hobby career and I need to start brewing right then and there.

prices from IMA won't settle until around december

Continuing to design and make my life counters. With any luck I should have the guilds and mana symbols done for next week.

Might be selling on Etsy, need to look into it. Also I'll probably release the source files afterwards, under a license.

>building unesh
>my brother says he sucks
>my friends say he sucks

did i just waste my money

Honestly, Markov in spanish would be pretty damn rad as a general.

>spanish vamps
I didn't know I wanted this so much.

do you like sphinx's?

did you buy a leyline of anticpation, urza's incubator and veldaken orrery?

I recently became interested in EDH again with the new leggy dinosaur, but then I remember that the people who play EDH are some really weird neckbeards
who screech and shout during games (the FNM people are allright) and I lose any desire to play it.

can someone shop a sombrerro on this?

Don't you mean Markov en Espanol?

sphinx's what?

The people that play EDH at my LGS*

I'm sure all of you gents in this thread are fine people

He meant en Español

yes

no, urzas is too expensive (until i decide if its worth to be playing mono blue) and the other two i did not get. what is so special about flash?

>consistent card draw in the command zone
>cheap flying beaters + control wincon
It's not on the level of Azami infinites, Teferi stax or Memnarch/Arcum artifact fuckery, but it's still a lot better than more popular monoblue decks.
Baral doesn't have wincons, Talrand will eat removal as soon as he drops, Thassa is fucking sea creature tribal of all things.

>Thassa
That's not how you spell Geist of St. Traft

That's called having, user. Believe it or not the highest form of enjoyment isn't staring silently at your opponent and loudly flipping through your hand.

>thassa is sea creature tribal
>leviathans, krakens, and other underwater beasts

c-cool

Having fun.

That's called having fun.

>The ability to play a spell at any time, in response to anything
vs
>Only being able to cast non-instants on your turn during your main phases

by itself a great advantage, I can imagine why especially if you're in blue

>Whats good about being able to play anything 100% of the time, instead of 10-25% of the time.
lol

you get to play your entire deck at instant speed

all your sphinx's become Fact or Fiction + creature with Unesh out

...okay, I just went through all of the werewolves and there's only one that benefits from transforming several times, and it's not that interesting since all he does is he destroys an artifact.
So does that mean Ruric is a better Werewolf commander than the only Werewolf legendary creature we have? That's kinda sad.

Rakdos or Izzet?

Ask your playgroup if you can use Weremilf.

werewolf is dogshit, sorry man

>Baral doesn't have wincons
>Implying Rise from the Tide or Runechanter's Pike for 40+ isn't a wincon
>Implying using Jace, Architect of Thought, Denying Wind, and Extract to strip Eldrazi and other reshuffle out of opponents' decks, then stalling out with Elixir of Immortality and Psychic Spiral isn't a wincon

Currently I'm playing at my LGS, and I don't think the group that play there would allow that.

Yeah I've heard that several times, but I want to try it anyway. Most of the cards are dirt cheap, so even if it's really crappy I won't waste too much money on it.

I'm gonna give it a shot with Ruric. I think I'll make it half werewolf tribal, half stax. Some werewolves have "punisher" effects already.

So people are actually buying out the C17 decks? Anons claimed that they are overall shit and not worth buying. What went right?

It's worth asking at least. Keep Ruric sleeved up, but pull out Arlinn and ask them if you can use her as your commander. Color identity is the same.

i bought dragon dildos to use my kaalia in. starting to enjoy this deck more than the yidris deck i have, which was more a proof of concept of it that betrays/ prince of thralls being amazing with wave of vitriol and natural balance among others.

just as good as the spanish cemetery gate that has protection from negro

They're fun.

Also:
>Dragons have Kindred Discovery ($15), Ramos ($10), The Ur-Dragon ($8) and Herald's Horn ($5)
>Wizards have Kess ($13)
>Vamps have Teferi's Protection ($23)
>Cats have Mirari's Wake ($8), Hammer of Nazahn ($5), Herald's Horn ($5), and Traverse the Outlands ($4)
>Every other new Legend is $3-4 (except Inalla, at $2)

sounds like you play with meme stereotypes rather than actual people, or maybe you havent even played the game? either way I feel sorry for (you)

>Vamps have Teferi's Protection ($23)
This deck is fun as hell to play with but now I like it even more

>Forgetting Huntmaster
How do you even manage such a thing?

>97% casaul

Because any precon is a great starting point for getting into the format or playing against someone who is getting into the format without curbstomping them.

Tribalism.

Oops. Forgot him because lately I've been brewing mostly ultra budget decks.
anyway, it's still only two of them, out of ~30 creatures.

tribal makes people think they are good at deck building when they jam a bunch of whatever tribal they are playing into a deck and it works which makes timmys (aka the only people who buy precons instead of just the commander cards) feel smart

Do it. These are really nice.

C17 precons aren't "bad", they're just not up to par with C16 or 15. The most obvious comparison is the dragon deck's manabase. All 5 of the C16 decks managed to make a 4c manabase work but OoB Ur dragon is a fucking nightmare.

That being said, Inalla is still complete horseshit and I will forever stand by that statement. She might as well be an enchantment that is absolutely un-interactable at any point in the game, who can always clone your opponent's wizards and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. At least Meren, Atraxa, and all the other stupid commanders the C series has released are required to be actually on the field, Inalla does it for (1) from the command zone.

Looking awesome. When turning the dials though, do they click to a number like the official versions, or do the dials roll freely at all?

>Implying High TIde/Cron combo and Dramatic Scepter can't be thrown into any blue deck with enough tutors and CA
>Implying you need anything but a Docent of Perfection and a fuckton of counterspells to win games

Sorry, Baral has no realistic wincons*

Looking for cards with several activated abilities to use with Mairsil. Currently I have Morphling, Torchling, Aetherling, Trading Post, and Staff of Domination. Also made note of Thornling, but it's in the wrong colors. Any other suggestions, or a way to search for cards with multiple activated abilities? I can pull up all cards with at least one activated ability by just searching for ":" but that's like 3000 cards to look through.

I enjoy stuff like Command Beacon or whatever it is called, but so far I think every commander they have printed with an ability interacting with the command zone was either boring or broken.

Not to mention how Baral was a high tier cEDH commander for a while, with just a fuckton of counterspells and ways to Polymorph him into an Oldrazi.

Any of y'all wanna give me some feedback on my Chandra.dec? It is garbage for obvious reasons (being a burn deck with no combos in EDH, being a red deck that isn't secretly monobrown, etc.) but I am curious to see if y'all have any good cards on theme that I missed? I've won games with it in my meta, so power level isn't too big of a concern.

I'd really appreciate y'all having a look. I got myself an Ugin for the deck to help clear Enchantments and for the one or two planeswalkers matters cards so I need to slot that in.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/chandra-09032017/

I've recently been trying to improve my ability at card evaluation, and I'm currently trying to find a hard way to quantify certain aspects of a card. Currently:

>If a spell allows you to draw a card in addition to its' other effects, the card draw is considered to be worth an additional two mana.
>Problem: difficult to evaluate cantrips and cards with varying levels of draw, such as Opt, Blue Sun's Zenith and Dregs of Sorrow.

>Searching for a land card to hand is worth one mana.
>Problem: difficult to gauge potential tempo loss.

>Destroying a creature is considered to be worth 3 mana.
>Problem: difficult to factor in non-standard rider effects, such as Doom Blade's inability to hit black creatures, or Prey Upon requiring a creature.

>Gaining life is worth approximately 4 life to 1 mana.
>Problem: lifegain is considered either worthless or vital if your strategy does or does not care. Difficult to evaluate in a vacuum.

>The raw value of a card is roughly 3 mana when in hand. Activated abilities are therefore very strong due to not requiring additional cards (mostly).
>Problem: sometimes difficult to gauge on the condition that some abilities others consider strong are very inefficient, as well as not being able to use activated abilities from hand.

Am I missing the mark with these values and how they're weighted? Is pic related, a bulk rare, bad despite the potential to kill 5 things and draw 5 for 10 mana?

they fixed that by banning emmy, the entire mtgo meta was 87% Baral for a while

In terms of Wizard's design ideas, you're spot on. However, in terms of absolute efficiency:

>Aside from X-costing cards, draw/mana should be 1/1 or higher, with "1-mana worth" of other effects tacked on
>Aside from destroying a creature is worth 2 mana, but 1 is preferred
>Reviving a creature is 2 mana, but 3 is fine in a pinch
>Searching a basic land to hand is a fractional mana effect, like drawing a card. Searching any land is worth 1-2 mana.

Phage got mentioned last thread and I wasn't around to post some Esper_tech.png

Oldlamog is still pretty good.

Are you referring to revival to hand or to field? Outside of reanimate, I can't think of any 1-mana permanent recursion, and one could argue an additional amount of "mana" is paid in terms of the life lost by the effect (paying 3 "mana" of life to revive a creature with a CMC of 8).

>non-black creatures
Problem number 1. This is actually a giant restriction. I never really considered "target nonblack creature" to be that big of a hassle until I needed to kill one and Shriekmaw was just dead in my hand.
>costs 5 as a startup
Problem number two. It gets better the more you dump into it but you have to have a wealth of mana for it to be good. Black can certainly get a lot of mana, but you won't always have your cabal coffers or the like.

I'm brewing esper goodstuff, I want a win con that isn't lab man and isn't life gain

The only revival to field card with CMC>3 that I ever see anyone use is Unburial Rites.

Time Sieve, or Bond/Blood combo. Remember that Cliffhaven Vampire and Vizkopa Guildmage do the same thing as Sanguine Bond.

Exsanguinate/Debt to the Deathless after comboing off with mana
Mill everyone else out, use Sadistic Sacrament-type effects to exile problem cards from the deck first
Include Thopter Foundry/Sword of the Meek if you're running Ashnod's or Grand Architect
Infect

I use Vigor Mortis in Skullbriar

Is Inalla ETB Wizards fun or generic?

banding shits on horsemanship, sure ill block your 50/50 with my commander and a 1/1 bird token, I assign 50 damage to the token, gg

I see Beacon of Unrest getting use, but it has other advantages.

Oh! Before I forget, do any of you also gauge cost-effectiveness based on colors (i.e. considering card draw more harshly if you use a fair amount of blue, or artifact destruction as more valuable if playing Dimir/mono-blue)?

>Copy Artifact is on the reserve list
>It's still only $15

thank fucking christ

More proof that Ayesha Tanaka is best Commander.

Also secret high level tech.

It had like 6 printings. There are enough to go around.

>banding