media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous thread:
Have you ever played a barb that fights in nothing but woad?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/iglMj
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No, although my current Soul Knife was nude when he encountered the party, and would have stayed such except he was asked to wear pants.

I once played a barbarian named Tool.

He got killed by Orcus once.

>But D&D commoners do have metal coins, unlike the real world commoners at the equivalent time period.

That has more to do with the the lack of a default assumption regarding land ownership, 5e seems to assume peasant ownership of property, rather than being used for labor and paid in room/board.

Yup. Just "ok, he lands on you and you're both prone."

Between his memeing, the other player's crappy character (but great roleplay), and the fact that I'm running another game and doing a better job in my personal opinion, I'm considering leaving.

But it was the first session, so I'll wait and see.

it also assumes coinage and trade are the most important economic aspects in that community.

A far northern or outright arctic settlement would value firewood more than gold.

According to the PhB commoners don't use coins often if at all, see

any way to do non metal heavy armors for druid?

Asking again from a couple of threads ago because I missed the responses
>Playing a Trickery cleric in a campaign
>Do shit for damage
>Feel useless in combat but am great out of combat
Would it be better for me to just hit myself with sanctuary and use the help action to grant the party barb advantage?

In response to the people in the other thread
>Take x feat
No feats allowed
>Multiclass x
No multi-class allowed
>Use spiritual weapon
I am only level 4 and would rather have my second level spell slots available for pass without trace if possible. Though I have used spiritual weapon during particularly difficult fights.

If I was given gold in a far arctic settlement I'd dip the fuck out immediately.

Ironwood?

Right, i just meant that the only reason coin is traded at all among the lower classes is that they seem to own land.

Peasants in 5e are essentially middle class.

Dragon bone, but good luck with that.

>No feats allowed
Leave the table.

Aurumvorax hide.

I'm probably being retarded and some other user will probably point this out, but I'd look at what god you worship and do whatever pisses it off the most. Lose your cleric status by making the god enraged beyond all belief. If I'm not mistake, most DMs will let you trade out your cleric levels for fighter levels.

Boom. You're now a fighter.
Sure, you can't heal, but you TECHNICALLY are able to do damage now.

Ankheg Plate, pay homage to a classic.

ToA leak album
imgur.com/a/iglMj

>If I'm not mistake, most DMs will let you trade out your cleric levels for fighter levels.
Lolwat

>You went against your character, alignment, and god, so here, have a lifetime worth of training!

Bulette plates.

> Trickery cleric
It's not your fucking job to deal damage. Buff, debuff, create opportunities for the damage-oriented characters.

depends on the settlement.

in my setting there is a small port on the northern-most continent (total arctic funland) where the main export of the village is treasure gathered by adventurers who return from the ruins of an ancient civilization in that land.
All firewood must be brought over by ship.

It's just that the natives in the port mostly pay each other in wood. Like the owner of the docks would pay his dock workers in firewood.

I am playing with a bunch of teenagers who have never played pen and paper games. DM is using it as an introductory game for a couple of people new to pen and paper games so he is keeping it as simple as he can

I am not really looking for ways to do more damage. I am asking if its more mechanically viable to use the help action on the half-orc barb than to shoot people for 1d6+3 with a bow.

>create opportunities for the damage-oriented characters
Which is why I am asking if a better use of my non-spellcasting action is to use the help action to provide advantage to a teammate

Yes the Help Action is a better use of your time.

What is the cleric's AC?

>I am asking if its more mechanically viable to use the help action on the half-orc barb than to shoot people for 1d6+3 with a bow.
Depends on how often your barb is missing. If they were going to hit regardless then you just missed out on 1d6+3 damage, but if they're missing 70% of the time it might be worth it to give advantage.

15 right now since I am wearing a chain shirt. I was thinking about casting sanctuary on myself before jumping in with the help action.

He hits probably 3/4 of the time but he is using reckless attack. If I use the help action it would let him get the same benefit without granting the opponents advantage.

Yeah Sanctuary -> Help is probably best in that scenario. Losing a little bit of potential damage but it will help your barb stay alive longer so it seems worth.

To those that have it, what's your verdict of ToA?

It ain't even true though. First, serfdom wasn't practiced uniformly across Europe or the time period. Even if it's true that some peasants never had money, that doesn't mean no peasants anywhere had it.

Second, just because they didn't usually pay taxes in the form of money, they still had money, usually earned by taking extra goods to market and selling to other peasants.

Third, "peasant" includes freemen, villeins, and burghers. Especially since they most likely are hanging out in towns anyway, they are most likely interacting with burghers with do in fact pay their taxes with coins. And if a villein had enough money, he could buy his freedom.

>I'd like to buy a sword. Here's ten wheelbarrows of wood.
Do you actually believe this?

It's really fucking fun

There's a fuck load of content and most of it is solid. The parts that are lacking are mostly lacking imo because I feel a lot of players wont even encounter them.

>an arctic settlement wasting valuable fuel on smithing
Do you actually believe this?

the arctic villagers would be the ones trading for the swords, not selling them user

Clerics are literally The Chosen One of their god. I don't think it works that way.

In all honesty, I'd let your Barb do his thing and spend your actions on cantrips. Which ones do you have? Does your DM allow UA: Starter Spells?

That sounds pretty fucking nice.
Could you please touch more on the areas lacking?

Quick, my party is on the hunt for a Green Dragon in a huge sink hole that has kobold minions that worship it. Standard fare here.

I want to make the kobold boss beyond one of the kobold stat blocks. Which humanoid stat block should I give the guy? The party is 6 level 7's, so it'll likely be a fuck ton of kobold grunts and then this guy to surprise the fuck out of them. The dragon is called Artemis so he calls himself the Aspect of Artemis.

It is mostly some of the subplots that I don't wanna go into too much detail with here in case people are playing. Basically, the map is fucking huge. Like, pretty damn big with so much to explore. That is the adventure's greatest strength and weakness. Many of the cool subplots going on are so far from main plot area that I'm unsure how many players will actually venture that far and run into it all.

Perhaps that stuff is there for if the players get lost hexcrawling through Chult.

Even if that's true, there's a lot more shit that's more valuable than wood. Like crafted good. Anyone can chop trees and pick of sticks.

Nonetheless. Wood is a shitty currency. The entire point of money is that you don't have to carry your trade goods everywhere. You're actually a fucking retard if you believe this "no money in the middle ages" meme.

Unless you really play up traps and terrain, those kobolds will be almost entirely non-threatening. I'd recommend using a stronger stat block across the board, but since that isn't what you asked.

Looking through 5etools, Neronvain looks interesting, and comes pre-themed.

Should the Abbot die?

Does anybody make "horde" statblocks? For say, if the players are running into like 15 goblins or some shit, you may have 4 of them as a large creature so you dont have to keep track of so many minis or initiative counts?

>Anyone can chop trees and pick of sticks
Which would make it very appropriate as a common trade good
>no money in the middle ages
We're talking about valuable materials in an arctic setting, moron

Phb only so sacred flame is the only damaging cantrip available. Rather than do 1d8 no modifier I decided just to use a shortbow. So my cantrips are: Thaumaturgy, Spare the dying, Mending, and guidance.

What do you think swarms are?

How would you make a +1 Armor worn by a Cloud Giant more interesting and storied?

Oh cool and thanks heaps for your info! Also definitely understanable, it seems DMs and players alike need to be pushed to explore everything but that probably isn't realistic given the timeframed restriction. I'm really eager to purchase a copy.

How would you rate it with the other adventures?

Ditch that shortbow for a light crossbow.

>sanctuary and help action
I'm not sure how the DM would rule that, on one hand I don't see why not, but on the other how are you helping the barbarian if you are unable to attack?

Basically it comes down to how the DM rules on "being a threat in an adjacent space".

>how are you helping the barbarian if you are unable to attack?
You don't attack when you use the help action anyway, so I don't see any problem with this. Helping with an attack is more about feinting, distracting, and otherwise creating openings for the person you're helping. You don't have to attack to help with an attack.

Can do. Anything else?

Distracting them mostly. The opponent wont know I cant attack them so I can make intentional lunges and feints with a weapon that are not actual attacks. Doing this at the right time to let my barb buddy hit without having to worry about them dodging.

It is partially held together by the very cloudstuff their cities were built upon. The material mimics the local weather, in pattern, and a keen eye can learn to predict harsh storms.

who said the middle ages?

and who said a longsword would be that expensive? even one wheelbarrow of wood would be worth more than that sword.

we're talking about a high demand trade good in a place that naturally has no supply.
Of course it's cumbersome, it's firewood, but the wood's value exceeds the cumbersome aspects.

Posted in the old thread by accident so posting here.

I didn't want to make a new thread to ask a few simple questions so I'm gonna ask here.

Around 10 years ago when I was 14-15 I got into playing 3.5e D&D with my uncle who would DM and his friends who had been playing for a long time and showed me the ropes. Eventually though we all moved apart and stopped playing. I was recently talking to my uncle about those times and all those fond memories, unfortunately my uncle isn't really interested in getting back into it anymore. However, I'm very interested in getting back into it, but I only have a fes IRL friends and none of them are into it.

I just found out about FantasyGrounds, and I'm wondering, Is there potential out there to actually find a decent DM and a group of people to play with who will actually stick with it for a while and make the investmeng worth it? Is this board a good place to find people to play with, or is there another place that I could find a group? I know that it will never be quite as good as actually having a real life group, but is there potential with FG to actually have a legitimate D&D experience? Is it worth paying for that possibility? I'm really excited about the potential because I've always felt that videogames could never match the tabletop experience, I just don't want to get excited and spend money on a cheap laptop/headset + the cost of FG (300 dollars for the complete set?!) and then get burned when I can't find any decent groups to play with.

Uh, so far at least:

CoS > ToA > LMoP > OotA > SKT >= PotA > ToD

I'll be fair though, the only adventures I didn't enjoy were HotDQ and RoT. Everything else I've liked from passively to hyper engaged. Never more happy playing CoS though.

makes sense.

Alternatively, does the barbarian in the party by any chance have the wolf totem ability that grants advantage?
if not you should try to flank a target to get advantage on your attacks while giving advantage to the barbarian.

>if not you should try to flank a target to get advantage on your attacks while giving advantage to the barbarian.
Flanking is a variant rule, and that user can't even use feats.

Frankly, it also busts math and basically makes some features far less valuable. I like it in small group games, 3 people generally, but anything more and it does more harm than good.

There's a kobold champion thing in volo's iirc, maybe give that a look

>I'll be fair though, the only adventures I didn't enjoy were HotDQ and RoT.
How terrible were they? I was slowly making my way through a HotDQ play-by-post that died and the DM kept alternating between referring to the Greenest invaders alternatively as merc companies or cultists and it kind of ended on this weird sidequest that required the party to check on a gate in some tunnel but not just check, literally OPEN IT and risk revealing its location to passing invaders in the process...
So it was a weird thing.

Bulette hide. Go talk to some dwarves.

The druid'd have to burn a feat to wear em though.

They're just, I don't know. They're far too linear for my taste and I wasn't a fan of the storyline in general. This is coming from a guy who gets his jollies off of Tiamat too.

I am a Ranger with 16 DEX, but i've ended up being the party tank (Land Druid, Arcane Trickster, Open Hand Monk, Lore Bard)

How good or bad of an idea is it to take Medium Armour Master? I'd end up with 18 AC while wearing Half-Plate with no stealth disadvantage.

The barb is bear totem and flanking is an optional rule that we are not using like says.

Also forgot to mention that the last time I used the help action I fluffed it as I kept making grabs for the pouches on the enemies belt as if to steal from them.

The party composition is Trickery cleric (me), Evocation wizard, Bear totem barb, and a goo warlock. We might be getting a rogue in a week or two.

Not a bad idea, but I ended up going with the Mage stat block and will likely flavor up all his spells as different kinds of poison damage.

HotDQ & RoT were literally written before the rules of the game were finalized, so there's a lot of stuff in them that simply aren't by the rules at all. Also they're pretty on the rails, to a ridiculous degree. There's a large section wherein the adventure assumes you spend months on the road in disguise as a caravan guard. If your party tries to do anything else other than that, the adventure falls apart.

The Zendikar Vampire and Revenant sub-race are the only WotC-released ways to have an undead PC, right? Nothing like Pathfinder's Dhampir or 4e's Vryloka?

say you painted it to be camo and you're super rangery.

just don't forget your cloak.

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about SKT

One of the quests players can get is drawing out a map of Chult. Included with the book is a blank map. Maybe motivating your players with a quest like that could get them exploring the far reaches of Chult

>barb goes bear totem
>this character is worth keeping alive
you are a tricky one

There's a Kobold Dragonshield, a Kobold Scale Sorcerer and a Kobold Inventor in Volo's.
Otherwise, the DMG presents guidelines for tweaking NPC stat blocks to better fit other races and one's for Kobolds... So you could just take a Veteran or Bandit Captain's statblock and lower the strength, raise the dex, add the pack tactics and sunlight sensitivity and call it a day.

>Cloaks
Nah, maybe a poncho to keep the rain off

Oof. Guess I dodged a bullet there.

Oh lordy that sounds dreary.

Is there a pdf of ToA floating around yet?

No, stop asking.

Not yet. A guy may post a fake one down the line - it's some shitty furry homebrew stuff in the pdf

>Not keeping the big scary meat wall alive so you can hide behind it
Besides I am the only other one that isn't in light armor or less.

He is also useful because my character is a cocky little manlet who picks fights he cant win and goes running for help.

Hoard has IMO one of the worst intro scenes ever conceived. The book gives you a few optional very thin reasons to want to go to town and the fact that the authors assumed everyone would want to run into town with a dragon flying above it is asinine.

The only official ones. You can easily refluff some others as a form of undead, like the Fallen Aasimar.

LMoP was written before the rules were finished too, but it at least has the benefit of mostly being about goblins, orcs, and bugbears so it's not fudged up. Interestingly if you compared LMoP loot to 3.5e Wealth by Level (including the plethora of magic items in the adventure) it fits perfectly.

It's pretty clear since they didn't have the 5e rules they used the 3.5e ones for treasure and encounter balancing. That said I've run LMoP for two groups and it's 100% salvagable if you just rebalance some of the encounters to be better in line with 5e's standards (and your own players' skill of course).

Well he is an angel so no

Jesus Christ I remember that. I dont care if there is gold and experience pouring from the gates my level 1 rogue would never step anywhere near that deathtrap.

Thanks dude.

But those adventures being railroady has nothing to do with the rules though right? That's just the adventure writers having no idea what they're doing. And this is coming from someone who likes Tiamat as statted.

Them being railroady is shit design on the writers part.

I recommend trying the Tucker's Kobolds route and littering the place with traps/hindrances that make these low-level kobolds into total nuisances for your players without having to make them comically swole when it comes to fighting. The Kobolds' strengths have never been singular, champion-esque strong fighters, it has always been their cunning and numerical advantages. Instead of one leader of the tribe, perhaps there are three or more that are a group boss fight with low HP and AC but constantly darting in and out of cover, utilizing traps and being a difficult battle without resorting to a head-to-head fight.

>you're in the village and this guy demands you 1v1 him

We didn't even make it that far in the one game we played

it's a legacy rule.

Clerics were, in ye olden editions, considered to be similar to knights templar. this is why they have armor training and the like. So a cleric without holy abilities was basically just a fighter, albeit who did not get any of the fighter specific bonuses, like weapon specialization that let you attack a huge number of times, or the free army if you built a stronghold at 9th.

Draw.

>or the free army if you built a stronghold at 9th
do want

And what does that entail? I was playing the Paladin so that probably would've meant my character would've gone first.

The Poncho of Halfling Kind requires attunement.

Jokes on you, I don't have any magic item anyway

Yes, the rules are a different issue. But the two of them together make for a very poor adventure.

>NEEDing to keep the big scary meat wall alive

he had d12 HD, presumably a huge con score, resistance to all damage but psychic, and shield proficiency if that somehow is not enough. Given you have a warlock if he wanted to make that tradeout for higher AC it wouldn't be a huge loss you've still got plenty of DPS.

He should be more or less fine. Is there some reason he's not generally self-sufficient outside of the occasional patch job?

aetherborn can also be vampiric.

How do I build Bugbearmont?

>Bugbear
>Paladin
>Whips

I thought it was supposed to be Assassin Rogue/Battlemaster Fighter.

A lot of anons here kind of sperg out when someone mentions running a gestalt game, but what about a game that was at a higher power level, but a bit more restricted than gestalt? What I was thinking was that you would be able to multiclass into two classes (and no more than that), and any features of a class that scaled with your levels in that class would instead scale with your total character level - for example, if you were a Sorcerer 3/Paladin 2 would have 5 sorcery points, and if you were a Rogue 1/Fighter 4, your sneak attack damage would be 3d6 (character level 5), but you would not have extra attack yet because you would need 5 fighter levels first.

Thoughts?

>not being a Treacherybearmont