Does eugenics have a serious point in a fantasy setting where your...

Does eugenics have a serious point in a fantasy setting where your celestial/draconic/elemental/faerie/fiendish/whatever ancestry gives you superpowers and sorcery?

Nobles and royals should be basing their marriages based on these magical bloodlines and breeding super soldiers based on them.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/48900638/#48935245
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/55163751/#55186048
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Depends on - you guessed it - the setting.

Elves already used their extremely long lives to gain enough political influence to take over basically everything. They have no interest in breeding super soldiers from a human base, but do experiment.

Pointedly yes.

In any sane setting where breeding can give you superpower, especially when the setting is medieval or fantastic in nature, then there will be eugenics in place.

Though it won't necessarily be called like that. Nobles of pure blood will marry with other nobles of pure blood as a matter of course.

Kek. Well memed friend.

Wow man you are a fag. How about trying to participate in the discussion you fucking nobrains asshole. Show some creativity or well wait a minute you can't show what you don't have. Fuck off back to 9gag or wherever you came from "depends on the setting" my fucking ads you know what? You and your boyfriend depend on the setting

How much creativity am I supposed to show when OP basically lays out the situation and then says "this is how it works right?" with no real way to expand upon what he's already put out? It's not likke this thread hasn't been done to death over and over again, and in every instance, it truly depends on what the setting is, how it works, and why the breeding programs exist. Hell, we've already had one name-fag take this to it's ultimate conclusion by positing a nobility made of gestalt classed people with mythic levels, the aristocracy of only gestated classed characters, the soldiers and servants being all PC classes and prestige classes, and the commoners all being NPCs.

why should I show creativity to an incompetent who answered his own question or a rude idiot who doesn't even know how to use the archives to investigate threads made for the sake of filler because no one has any creativity and can't be bothered to do anything more than post a couple of lines that indicate all they've played is D&D and it's hideous clones?

Eugenics has a serious point anyway. Where it's caused immense misery in the 20th century has been where it's been imposed by force by collectivists. Usually by trying to sterilize or kill "defectives", something that's always been a thin pretext for subjugation and genocide of minority groups that the eugenicist doesn't like.

But we do it positively and productively for ourselves all the time when we choose our mates. Half of our kids' genetic material is selected by us when we decide whom to mate with. That's usually via the dating/marriage market, but sperm banks happily advertise high IQs, healthy and athletic bodies, and stable personalities.

So in a fantasy setting, of course a noble will do that too. Aragorn "restored" the line of Kings when he married Arwen, right? And that was Tolkien calling back to the ancient legends of royal lines having a strain of divinity in them.

So yeah in most settings this fits, but especially where eladrin etc are a thing.

One notable exception would be a biblical setting. Recall that the Flood happened for many reasons (large-scale socially acceptable theft, for example) but in part because humans were cross breeding with angels. So many most but not all settings.

Eugenics doesn't matter when you have wizards and immortals.

You have read LotR right? At least watched the movies? Then you know about the orcs and the uruk_hai.

What about her?

Long-term Eugenic program to create the Chosen One.

So? How does this help OP? what kind of 'creativity' or 'original content' is that? Does it help OP improve his setting?

For someone spewing such rabid vitriol, you sure posted a lot in this shit thread. How about you step up and show a little creativity yourself? You can. right? RIGHT?

What if you want to breed an uber-mage?

>the one setting everyone base their shit on
>not original
kys fag

Depends on if magic is a genetic trait or something you learn. If the former, then you could breed for more maguic, but you still have to breed for intellect and magical talent. If the latter then you can only breed for intellect and cunning, because they still have to learn everything.

This is why it's strictly setting dependent.

Can you perform an eugenic program without knowing nothing about genes or anything?

> Nobles and royals should be basing their marriages based on these magical bloodlines and breeding super soldiers based on them.

I actually like this a lot. I've run a setting based off 'The Royals', where royalty literally has super powers. The higher you rank, the more powerful you are.

Exalted does this with the Dragon-Blooded, as a good example. I also generally like the idea that the blood tells: No matter how virtuous a servant is, he's not going to wield the family sword because he doesn't *belong* to the line.

Similarly, even if the first-born son is a black-hearted reaver and his sister is a saint, the family magic picks him first. It's because a first-born son comes before everyone else.

Yes retard, all you need to know is that children come out like their parents.

Well, yeah. It's not difficult. The most competent and most beautiful people get to mate.

Basically life is one great eugenics system in action.

Not really since even the dumb and ugly want to breed, even if it's with each other. In fact the most competent have the least children and selection is turning towards lower intelligence.

Oi, like Kwizatz Haderach?

Evolution favors fast-breeding, dumb critters. A rabitt is way more evolved than you and I.

Depends on setting.

Why doesn't OP ask a good question?

Depends on who can fuck and make a baby.

As well as what traits that baby is going to get.

I have lost a lot of respect for The Witcher

Elder Blood

A genetic program initiated by elven mages (known as Sages) for the purpose of creating an extraordinarily gifted child whose power would exceed their own. According to the prophecy of the elven diviner Ithlinne, the Child of Elder Blood will one day save the elves from annihilation. However, the last carrier of Aen Hen Ichaer, Lara Dorren aep Shiadhal, bonded with a human instead of an elf, thus shattering all plans regarding her offspring.

"According to some, it is a powerful elven curse passed from generation to generation. Those in whose veins the infamous Hen Ichaer flows are said to carry death and destruction within them, to sow hatred and disdain in the hearts of men. It was from this contaminated blood that Ithlinne prophesied an avenger would be born, a destroyer of nations and worlds.

Others claim the Elder Blood is an extremely rare inherited talent, granting control over time and space to a degree unattainable even to elven Sages. Sadly, few bearers of this gift have been able to control it in full. This merely partial mastery inevitably leads to sudden outbursts of the Power that take the form of unpredictable, uncontrollable and thus extremely dangerous explosion. Behind the dark legends about the Curse of the Elder Blood lies the truth of these tragic cases.

For obvious reasons the bearers of the Elder Blood were always subjects of great interest to the world's mighty and to mages alike. The former counted on the truth of Ithlinne's prophecy, on an avenger being born who could destroy worlds, and who they could thus use for their purposes. As for the latter, they hoped to harness the magic of Hen Ichaer to broaden their own knowledge and powers. Ultimately, however, all these plans were for naught - the Elder Blood line broke off with the disappearance of the heiress to the Nilfgaardian crown, Cirilla Fiona Ellen Riannon..."

Isn't Bretonia like that?

Well if their goal was to suck the fantastic out of fantasy then they certainly succeeded.

See the entry of White Frost.

So, a more apocalyptic version of A Song of Ice and Fire?

Well, if someone else did it, it isn't original for the OP now, is it?

And again, you don't post anything useful.

I posted a lot in this thread fag
Also how do you know I am not George Martin

Yes. Do it.

"This is my story, not yours. You must let me finish telling it."

>Similarly, even if the first-born son is a black-hearted reaver and his sister is a saint, the family magic picks him first. It's because a first-born son comes before everyone else.

You always post this, attempting to justify your god awful GMing because one of your players uses you as a cautionary tale on this board.

White Frost is a cool concept.

Nah, the concept is a solid one. It makes for some interesting stories.

You've got a more successful younger brother, don't you?

> Projecting this hard.

I'm an only child.

Not that guy, which story is that?

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/48900638/#48935245
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/55163751/#55186048

Hey, as the GM for that one, the PC was okay with that. I rolled out in the open so it'd be fair. The whole point of the conflict was that everyone had to fight their dark mirror.

The dude who could clone himself had to fight a sniper. The mind-reading 'great detective' had to fight a genius with a penchant for elaborate deathtraps. The occultist had to fight a mad scientist, and the sword-wielding heroine had to fight her brother.

The fact that two of them died was just how the dice went down. They won, anyway, in spite of it all.

All fair and games. You can tell the player is bitter in hindsight, though. They probably expected you to handle the potential defeat better than an anti-climactic situation like.

>LMAO Sis, I just rekt you. Okay, I've got things to do, see ya.
>*kills u with ease*

The punctuation of a scene like that can make a very big difference.

Yeah, but the entire scene was set up for that. When I roll out in the open, it's a gentleman's agreement not to fudge dice. It would make no sense for the malicious, spiteful villain not to act like a total dickhead now that he had the upper hand. His driving passions were vindictive spite and gleeful malice!

>It would make no sense for the malicious, spiteful villain not to act like a total dickhead now that he had the upper hand. His driving passions were vindictive spite and gleeful malice!

Again, sure. I can see that. You still handled it poorly, that simple. You can talk about your integrity and vision for the story all you want.

But the game itself is still remembered as an utter dud by the player. You're essentially that guy who blew his load early and is making excuses.

See GM, this is why you don't roll in the open.

Eh, they can't all be winners. That was almost a year ago.

No, no. It's not about being a winner or a loser.

It's about the narrative feeling like a worthwhile investment of time. A poorly handled ending is always going to sour the earlier time spent.

Again, I'm not knocking a tragic ending. I'm knocking a badly written one.

Again, no excuses here. You're only as good as other people think you are.

Fuck off, troll.

And nah, it just naturally creates dynamics that lead to natural drama.

>Again, I can see that, but you are still wrong and I won't explain why.

I'm pretty sure you are the spiteful player.

If I was, I'd probably be pointing out what he did wrong in more detail. Wouldn't I?

>Badly written

Nah it was well written. Really blunt, but def well written.

Not if you wanted to pretend that you weren't.

Sometimes its binary. The villain wins or the hero does. From a speedread, at least he didn't rape his sister as he implied he was going to. But why didn't he just kill her years ago and take the sword?

You got me ;_;

Yeah nah m8. K-strategy exists for a reason.

>at least he didn't rape his sister as he implied he was going to

wut

Oh, I can answer that. He was waiting for their father to die. A father's right comes before a son's. If his dad was still alive, ownership would remain with the father.

When OP asks "This is how it works, right?" rather than "How does it work in your setting?" or "In what ways could this work that you think would be fun or interesting?", OP basically begs for replies like "water is wet" and a shitstorm of pointless arguing. So if anything, blame OP for this meme.

Is this fresh pasta?

Insofar as the unimaginative fucks on this board can come up with anything copypasta worthy.