EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Expensive Screwing Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: What cards do you use that you wouldn't due to budget if you had to re-buy them?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-09-17-apocalypse-now/
tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/15-09-17-ZKM-deck-paste/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ommy-with-the-good-hair/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/01-09-17-yLY-inalla-edh/
youtube.com/watch?v=ekeubl_vaa8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Thread Question: What cards do you use that you wouldn't due to budget if you had to re-buy them?
pact of negation. i'm not really that into the card but i happen to have one from the old days and it is good protection for a combo deck.

>What cards do you use that you wouldn't due to budget if you had to re-buy them?

I have a Mishra's Workshop and Transmute Artifact that I picked up for about $300 total a few years ago. Fuck buying either of them today.

>What cards do you use that you wouldn't due to budget if you had to re-buy them?
fetches
really makes the game consistent which is both good and bad

Post decks, bitch about other decks

Who here /MLD/ ???

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-09-17-apocalypse-now/

Kaalia, when I bought it, it was like 5 bucks with the oversized card.

Also since I made this image I built an Edgar Markov vampire tribal focused on +1/+1 counters with some proliferate cards thrown in too

What are some spicy ETBs in Grixis reanimation? Assume I already have the most popular ones

I'm new to MTG and a friend told me to start playing Commander because we can play between a lot of players and it's relatively cheaper compared to other formats.
He told me to start with one of the new preconstructed decks (specifically Feline Ferocity).
Is that a good idea? I'm only going to play casual.

Technically it's not land destruction.

I've started adding it to my decks even though my meta freaks out over it every time. It's just the best way to punish green decks that shit out lands all game.

I resolved a Decree of Annihilation last week that won me the game.

So I'm building pic related

I have mostly everything I need for him but can anybody think of a way to cage my opponent's artifacts or creature and be able to use them as my own?

Cats is an alright deck but I'd recommend picking up a second precon, mainly Vampires.

Hi, I'm entirely new to commander and I'm looking for something fun and cheap to play with my friends. Do you think, that mono red ally deck with Zada as commander would be a viable choice or is it the worst idea ever?

You can't have other players' cards in your hand or graveyard so you can't exile them with the first ability.

Even if you could give it an ability to exile other stuff it wouldn't have a cage counter.

Even if you could put a cage counter on it, you still wouldn't be the owner so you couldn't use the abilities.

Basically, no.

Best tax like cards for a death and taxes style EDH deck featuring Kambal?

Monocolor allies is not a good idea.

Your best bet when starting the format is buy one of the precons. They give you the most value and are (for the most part) pretty playable.

>can anybody think of a way to cage my opponent's artifacts or creature and be able to use them as my own?

Even if there were some scenario where you got an opponent's card exiled with a cage counter, Mairsil explicitly says cards you own that are exiled.

Thanks guys, I thought I had something with the card Dark Imposter but I found out it didn't work like I thought it did.

I love how casting any 4 CMC spirit blows the kirin up too.
I run Ruination and cycle Decree of Annihilation in Ruric for what's it worth.

Zada is fantastic on a budget, but I don't know if I'd go Ally with it. Is there even enough good red ones?

Just fill the board with any type of token really, from Young Pyro's elementals to Krenko's goblins to Eldrazi spawn stuff, then hit them all with pump spells and cantrip stuff to draw a shit ton and go off. It's like 50$ to start and can be easily upgraded down the road with stuff like Purphoros, Valakut, etc.

Also suggested for spice is HeatShimmer/Twin Flame to clone all of your stuff for cheap, Make Mischief/Spawning Breath for a shit ton of little dudes if your guys can survive, and pic related with the last two is a great way to wreak havoc.

can I get some feedback on this?

Azusa, Crucible, Karn Liberated, the eldrazi titans, Blightsteel, Blood Moon, Magus of the Moon, Worldy Tutor, a lot of old stuff in general.

Looks great.

Another guy is going to buy the Vampires one. Also, I like those cats.
My friend is going to help me improve it by giving me some mid-tier cards.
How is the deck's playstyle and how can I improve it?

;_;

I meant this
tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/15-09-17-ZKM-deck-paste/

Oh wow, so if you had Ramos and Deadeye and Soul of the Harvest you could go pretty much infinite right? Like could just dump your entire deck onto the board.

Xenagos Beatdown
Sydri Artifacts
Ur-Dragon Tribal
Gishath Tribal (obviously in development)

Thank you for your feedback
Thank you too. This sounds really fun and I just love Zada. I'll look into it.

It's obvious your strategy is just push out hatebears and stax shit until you can pull off the Eidolon/Rule of Law + Possibility Storm/Knowledge Pool lock, but seeing as that shits on you too, I don't see how you think you're going to pull off a win after the first time unveiling this, unless your usual players are completely retarded.

If you're blowing that much money on a deck/have that solid of a collection, I would assume you're playing in a rather competitive meta where they will figure you out and shit down your throat immediately. If not, I guess I'll just say that it looks fine, though I personally would toss in maybe a few board wipes in case an opponent goes off before you and you lock yourself out of a win by halting the game with an opponent with a better board state, and maybe some protective stuff like Teferi's Protection/Boros charm to stop your foe's from wiping you if you can't lock them down hard enough before you can assemble the combo.

Out of the box, Cats is alright in multiplayer.

The overarching theme is to get a cat out, give it equipment (starting with Hammer of Nazahn), and proceed to smash face. You'll probably want to pick up an Open the Armory for an extra search option.

Snapcaster mage. I bought that stinky fuck when blue was hemoraging free wins in modern and also just after ema price dip.

Need help with Kaalia deck.

Do I build her as a control deck with her as the bomb or focus on speeding her out and ignoring what my opponents are doing like a lot of voltron decks do?

Serious question where can I get good playmats? All the decent ones are sold out everywhere and all that's left are amonkhet gods or shit ones.

Cardamajigs does quality work, though I don't explicitly know if it was because I got a limited edition one or not.
They are also really cool dudes.

>political as fuck

Question: do you play with the same group and if so how does the politics work with people youve made deals with time and again?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ommy-with-the-good-hair/

Would actually enjoy feedback desu

the deck doesnt really try and win. its mostly pillow forting up and then helping out people who promise to do my bidding during the game. usually when someone thinks they have the upper hand in a trade i will offer the other guy help if they make the deal good enough. obviously the right answer is to just kill me off gate so there is no monkey wrench in their plans but my playgroup never does that

How many people in the group? That sounds fun and I'm not sure what to do in my next deck.

currently we are only 3 consistent members (including myself) and 2-3 people who drop in from time to time. i really wish we could find one more consistent person cause 3 person edh kinda sucks

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/01-09-17-yLY-inalla-edh/

Could yous give me a hand with my wizard good stuff?
I just feel like im not doing enough with the deck in the early turns, do i need more ramp? remake my land base? I dont really have fetches

Yeah same. We could use a 4th as well to change things up. Too little politics and all that in 3 people

Quite a few pieces of my colorless deck. Karn Liberated and Mox Opal come to mind. I also picked up a Grim Monolith two years before I built it for $25, that was a pretty great decision in hindsight. Ironically, a card that went the other way around was Mana Crypt. When I planned the deck it was still $100 minimum, now they're half that.

throw in some monarch cards, helped my group a little

dual lands

There's an idea.

normally i disapprove of using deck techs as how you build your deck but this is a really good starting point if you want to build zada or want to get into EDH in general

youtube.com/watch?v=ekeubl_vaa8

Stupid question time.

The Ixalan vampires came from elsewhere on the plane to search a few islands for some maguffin? Treasure or the power of the sun temple or whatever.

If they're from somewhere else, is Licia an Ixalanian vampire? Yeah, the red is weird but do we know if the victorian vampires wouldn't have architecture like in Licia's art?

>30$
But why, the thing can't even give you access to infinite or multiple combat steps ala the ventmaw+charger combo that gives you as many combat steps as you have mana sources that can tap for at least one anus.

could be, ixalan vampires are pretty much notspanish conquistadors, licia's art could be from their homeland in notspain, noteurope, then again maybe they just decided to make mardu vamps to sell more units because they knew they were In standard

its a mythic from specialty set that was hardly opened, unless you want to play the random lottery with a box it commands a high price

The feathers on her plume are plucked from an angel she killed. No angels on Ixalan, or not enough for one to show up in this set at least.

It's another extra combat for decks that want it on hopefully a 6/6 (and counting) for 6 mana, which is good.

Like Aurelia it can also be abused by copying, blinking etc it.

heres hoping for at least one angelsaur in the second set

You can have a Dinosaur Angel as your commander right now!

thats pretty spicy

Doubling Season. Wouldn't even have it if I hadn't cracked it out of a MM pack.

I remember when Mistform Ultimus stopped being a Folk of An-Havva and became a Human.

It was a sad day, though it did cure him of leprosy.

At least he's not a nameless race anymore

>ywn have a Legendary Uncle Commander again

this guy have a place In inala wizards?
seems he would get some extra mileage out of your wizards when they die

whys cockatrice frozen?

saving it for thanksgiving

How many board wipes should you run in a deck?

Every other card should be a board wipe.

5ish

Best 2017 precon? Wizard's deck seems pretty fun and it's commanders seem interesting.

The dragon and vampires are both strong out of the box, the dragon needs work for it's lands and it's combos but can be very strong when ahead. The wizards can be very strong with just a few cards (eg. Ashnods altar, Dualcaster mage)

The cat's deck is probably the least competitive but is still a lot of fun and has some good cards. The vampires are probably the most competitive out of the box.

depends on what you mean by best i think dragons have the most money in it but vamps wins the most out of the 4. wizards has the most potential but cats are the most shit

So what's the Dark Magician Girl equivalent in this game?

Something like Flame Burst?

I was just looking for a rough idea of strength, still can't decide if I want to get Wizards for Kess because she seems pretty insane or Vampires for Edgar vampire tribal which sounds fun.

As far as other legendary's in them go, is Taigam any good? I'm not good at judging power but I really love is style.

>Taigam
Gonna have to be more specific.

Taigam, Sidisi's Hand sorry.

I kinda wish he only costed 4 mana but eh.

Oh. The other one looks like a fun and somewhat unusually colour identity'd spellslinger.

>yo man that's a sweet time stretch
>lemme give you another one

>just bought the cat precon
>realized I have a ton of green and white staples I'm not using, like a full equipment Voltron suite with puresteel/jitte, Elesh Norn, a full suite if boardwipes, all the hatebears you could want, and a bunch of green token stuff
>no idea what to make
Should I go Voltron, tokens or some other thing? Any fun commanders? I'm just way outside my element, I'm a mono black mono red kind of guy.

So you basically have 3 options with the cat stuff
Nazahn if you want to go G/W equip. Swap out some of the cat-centric stuff, throw in Puresteel, Swords of Money and Value, Bonehewer, Stoneforge, and anything else you want. I'd run a Conjuror's Closet as well, to get even more tutors.

Arahbo can explode in the early game, especially if you play your cats low to the ground, like Adorned Pouncer or Lost Leonin. If your play group plays for the late game you can pick people off before they can build steam. His in play ability benefits from equip too, so if the idea of reliably swinging in with stuff that's huge he's really good.

If you want to swarm though Mirri is disgusting. She doesn't give the token generation that other G/W generals give, but if you can protect her she'll ensure your army gets through.

I have an Arahbo deck I'm really loving right now. It's equipment cats, so mostly felines but with Puresteel and Norn.

after making deck with all 3 from the cat deck and play testing mirri is the best one ive found

I also have a ton of GW staples and amazing cards, I don't own a single GW legendary though and I'm poor right now :\

Also checked.

Not him but I had plans for nazahn but I like her a lot. Seems like she'd be able to support a midrange deck pretty well in edh.

What does my choice in commander say about me?

Kaseto Voltron, is this as retarded as I think it is.

You like creatures and/or lands?

Allow me to preface the below by saying that all comments are intended in the context of playing against the other precons.

Dragons and Vampires are definitely the strongest of the set. Bitching about the dragon deck not having a $300 manabase aside, it's startlingly fast thanks to the Eminence from Ur-Dragon, and you rarely have problems casting your dragons. The vampires can't quite slug it out with the dragons one-on-one, but they make up for that with a bunch of nasty effects and a potential one-turn-kill combo (seriously, what was Wizards thinking when they put that in a precon?)

The Wizards deck has a ton of fun interaction, but doesn't feel like it has a viable wincon as compared to the "beat in face" of the Vampires and Dragons. Honestly, it feels like they're there to keep the other decks in check with janky combo stuff, rather than win themselves.

The Cats are a bit odd. First off, it has such a heavy Equipment theme that the tribal theme is somewhat diluted when compared to the other decks. The Cat deck can really explode out the gate and just bowl people over, but in my admittedly limited experience it just wasn't as consistent or fun as the dragon or vampire deck, and if you don't get a good enough start to explode out at the dragon deck you're going to get absolutely slaughtered by huge fliers that you can't block.

I kinda feel like Mirri should've been the main commander. She's much more interesting than Arahbo, as much as I do like Arahbo.

My main gripe with the cat deck is that the equipment theme, while strong, really dilutes the cat theme for me when compared to the other decks. "Leonin with equipment" is not what I was hoping for out of a deck billed as "cat" tribal. I wish it had more cards like Hungry Lynx.

I for one think that Taigam is better in the 99. He's not a bad commander, but backing up Scarab God? Draw spells, bin creatures for eternalize, and burn up spent noncreatures to kill shit which you can then Eternalize,

i'll repost my decks. i currently have each color represented twice among my five decks. i'm kind of hesitant to start planning another deck cause then the balance will get thrown off. :/

is thromok anything but board wipe bait? i like gruul but i don't want to become a bystander every time somebody wraths.

my grenzo deck is all etbs. anything that makes free creatures is gravy. i'm a big fan of mindclaw shaman as well.

if i run more than 4 i find myself holding one in my hand the whole game.

You like to play a decent amount of stuff, a mix of Timmy and Johnny.

You'd like to have more than 6 wives.

I think Voltron makes the most sense, because seriously I have 3 swords, puresteel, Sram and all sorts of other stuff available, but I already run Uril, and it's a t5 pubstomp machine. I mean it's fine, but no one plays it because it's so consistent, and I worry that the deck is going to have the same problem; nukes exactly one guy then eats a board full of hate.

The flip side is, I have a foil Lost Leonin, a voice of resurgence, a doubling season, a parallel lives, and a gaddock teeg kicking around. I know it's just nonsense. Mirri seems like the best choice, both for volton and for a token deck. Thinking about it, voltron with a pinch of hatebears could be really strong. Thanks user!

>a potential one-turn-kill combo
For the less intelligent of us, can you explain it?

Having a 4/4 with unblockable and effective upkeep: UG isn't too shabby in the colors of much ramp and draw. You miss out on double strike enablers and related effects by not having red, but that low price buff stapled on him is pretty rad.

yes, kaseto is a snake and his ability is reusable

>You miss out on double strike enablers
Eh, Fireshrieker's really rad.

You're a Timmy at heart, but you're at least smart enough to know how to Timmy well.

I don't think anyone will fight you on that. Mirri has the most options and isn't married to theme like Arahbo and Nazan.

Nazahn's a chick? My furry sense must be off. Yeah, Nazahn is nutty. Just be ready to do lots of tutoring.

I hear you. To be honest when Abobo was first revealed I though he was jank compared to the dragon. Though he can explode in sneaky ways and is more fun than I expected. That said I still wish he was more interesting.

In my experience the cats can do 3 things. Your best bet is to pick 2. Lost Leonin is fun to surprise people with, and dream hand you can have fatal unblockable on board swinging turn 3. But if you're not running Arahbo then Lost Leonin isn't worth it.

>Hoping for more cards like Hungry Lynx
>Wanting cards that put you at incredible disadvantage

Why? GW Equipment makes sense more than Cats that don't really do a whole lot.

You like smelly dragon farts all over the table.

You just know that someone, somewhere, has masturbated to that art.

>That pet card you run in every deck because fuck you that's why